Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This really shouldn't have died an ignoble death.

And really, we all have the time to marathon Columbo now.

Watch it every Saturday on MeTV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The best murderer is Jack Cassidy. Thats why they kept bringing him back
I think it's Robert Culp, but Cassidy is a close second.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The last Columbo episode came out in 2003
We've tried watching the 80s episodes and there's so little Columbo in them they're not as fun.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sentinel Red posted:

See also Johnny Cash, who yeah, was the murderer but I think he was trapped in a lovely situation or something?
Cash was sick of having all his record money siphoned off to pay for his wife's kooky Christian Cult poo poo because he was doing faux-christian music.

But he wasn't a Saint since the wife had evidence that he was loving an underage parishioner/groupie and blackmailing him

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Actually you'll find that she's quite the accomplished sleuth herself!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sanzuo posted:

My personal theory about Columbo is that he knows who the murderer is the moment he lays eyes on them. From there he just needs to put together the case so it holds up in court.
There's quite a few cases where he suspects them from the word Go just because of a small discrepancy -- why'd you check your mail as you were calling about your dead wife? How are you sure they left right when they said they would?

In some other cases, it's a series of smaller hunches or lucky coincidences. But the building the case part is always fun.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ahhh yes Mr. Columbo. The Amontillado is right this way.

Imagine Orson Welles on Columbo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Culp was one of the adults on Mystery Inc.

Advantage Rob

In his final incarnation, the murderer hid in Everybody Loves Raymond

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like how he pulls out an egg investigating the plane crash in the one with the Man in Black.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rollie Fingers posted:

Perhaps he was too convincing as an irritable, narcissistic murderer that he thought it could affect his reputation as the most wholesome man in showbiz?
It's definitely that.

Nimoy was similarly fantastic in his episode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
God I can't remember the drat episode but there's one where Columbo ends up going to talk to a database clerk and it's just delightfully awkward how put off he is by the whole thing

E: ah, it's "An Exercise in Fatality". After waiting for lile 10 minutes for a print-out of a person's phone number, Columbo make a call and leaves a message:
"Hello. This is Lieutenant Columbo: homicide. It's very important that I talk to you. You can call me at the main precinct. The number there is: you can look that up."

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 12, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jose Oquendo posted:

So you're telling me you're making a movie about an amusement park that has real life dinosaurs? Well ain't that something.

This really is the best tweet ever.
Now. Wait a minute doc, you're telling me that this rock--my wife has tons of these btw, got it from her Aunt Edna-- you're telling me that Aunt Edna's rocks have what in them? Dinosaur eggs?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Counterpoint: Jamie Lee as a waitress

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You have to have a high IQ to "get" Columbo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Got the boxset as an anniversary gift yesterday. Awwwwww yes
Gee, that's wild. That really is something. How many movies you said? In that little box? I never ina million years would have figured. See my wife is a big film buff, huge, but she's a purist, you know. Has to have that big screen experience. The popcorn and soda, sticky seats.... Ahhh well, you know sir, I'm sure. But, uh, just one question though. One thing that's been bothering me.

You said this was an anniversary gift? But your anniversary isn't for a few more days. So, Mr. Gallinero, who really bought that set? Cuz I could a sworn you said your partner was, ah, away on a cruise ...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No where near as good, IMO.

Mostly because, as with a lot of crime shows, the presence of the MC creates a crime wave that would make even the most pessimistic 90s Crime Statisticians wet with glee.

IIRC Cozy Cove (or whatever Murder she Wrote's location is) would be the murder capitol of several nations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Almost as good is the end scene where he's got like 2M in the bag but can't pay for the egg salad at the airport bar.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Spiritualist revivals come and go in the US. In the 70s it was Uri Gellar/MINDCONTROL PSYWAVE GOVERNMENT stuff like in Firestarter.

Arguably all the poo poo about crystals now...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jerusalem posted:

the general (even 3 stories in) tradition that the killers' arrogance is inevitably their undoing.
There's no perfect crime because the criminal is an imperfect god

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Astrochicken posted:

I love that he's just this detective guardian angel that plays off the conscience of the suspect. Brilliant show.
At every point the suspect could just be like "no, no I don't know why they were meeting with a strange person in a remote area of town. No clue. " instead of inflicting themselves via the tortured frame job they are attempting. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A lot of the episodes kind of fall apart under modern scrutiny but, uh, the 70s had different standards of law.