Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hank Morgan posted:

I think the best Columbos are the ones where you can sympathise with the killer. You know they did it, you know Columbo is hot on their trail and you almost hope they get away with it and Columbo almost wishes it too. The Ruth Gordon one is the best example. "Just think Lieutenant. If you had investigated my nieces death all this need never have happened." :discourse:

I still think people should watch the modern Columbos. There are still good bits and episodes there. I'd just randomly mix them into the watching of the older classics. Who the guest star is is generallly a good clue of what the quality will be.There is no continuity in the series that needs to be followed other than Columbo's dog.

agreed. any port in a storm is another good one, and donald pleasence does a drat good job as the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gianni is loving hilarious and were I an eccentric billionaire, I'd almost commission an animated Columbo just to have him voice it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CKjELxHhg

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 20, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I Love Loosies posted:

Wait a minute do we know Columbos first name?

Depends on how trustworthy you think his ID was in Dead Weight (s01e03)

Like, canonically nobody knows his first name.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 21, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna make like iris dement and let the mystery be. Hell, I'm content with naming him like a hurricane or a storm -- if Columbo is walking towards you, you're probably already hosed.

(Saw Iris play the Bijou theatre in Knoxville years ago. Forgot the words to that very damned song in the middle of playing it. Funny watching the scene unfold as a few people in the first couple of rows yelled the lyrics to her)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have returned from a recent meme expedition to bring relevant content:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey somebody found a lost episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing to contribute, other than this was the best piece of music used on the original run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khO0m-sROjw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

I like it when Columbo shows up halfway through the episode, he’s like the shark from Jaws

"i don't know what'd be worse -- columbo showing up suddenly like a stroke or slowly walking towards you like a cancer."