Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I love Columbo. Been watching it over the last couple of months and I don't know if its on purpose or not but almost all the murderers (so far, I'm in season 3) do a lot capital letters ACTING, chewing the scenery. It is especially fun compared to Peter Falk's understated acting as Columbo.

There is also a surprising number of big names involved in the episodes. (and a future big name in the case of Spielberg directing the first episode of season 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm bringing this thread back to life because well .. I'm still watching this!

And I'm pretty sure I just watched the worst episode of Columbo. At the very least the worst so far.

The final episode of season 5: "Last Salute to the Commodore"

Surprisingly poor, considering it was directed by Patrick McGoohan but I guess he decided to have a galaxy brain moment and do the entire episode as a normal murder mystery where the murderer isn't unveiled until the end, instead of the normal Columbo formula.
I don't really have a problem with that approach, it's fair enough after 5 seasons to try and do something a little different but the whole episode is just horrendously paced.
And they decide that Columbo needs some young sidekick detective who then never shows up again as far as I can tell.

If you're going to change things up I much prefer the subplot of the previous episode ("Now You See Him...") where Columbo is trying to get rid of the new raincoat his wife got him because it's too tight and he can't get rid of it. Only problem is that one of the other police officers keep finding it and bringing it back to him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

zoux posted:

Is there somewhere I can watch episodes without ads? I'll sub to another service if I must!!!

According to some website I found you can stream it on tubi and peacock whatever those are.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
watching How to Dial a Murder and Columbo really didn't like the murderer in this one, he was really trash talking him at the end, telling him how bad a murderer he was.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finished up the "original" run.

Kinda weak episode with the Irish gun runner poet. He wasn't a particularly interesting villain and Columbo didn't really seem to be very into it either.

Are the newer episodes noticeably worse?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
And the reason for them even doing the Mystery Movie thing in the first place was that Peter Falk absolutely did not want to commit to a regular TV series schedule.
He was a serious film actor and didn't want to get tied up in TV, since that was seen as a lesser thing back then.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

knox posted:

NBC wanted to do 20+ episodes of Columbo first season but Falk wasn't down with it. I think in hindsight if he knew how iconic the show/character would become he would've been down to sacrifice some his leisure time for it. The first few seasons are of course a lot better than the later seasons, I do wish we could have had a lot more episodes made during early period.

I don't think we would have gotten the same quality of guest actors if it was a 20+ episode season show.
Of course I don't know for sure but I'm guessing it must have been a lot easier to get bigger names to do Columbo because they knew it was a high quality thing and it was more of a special occasion rather than just a normal tv show.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bob Quixote posted:

I was re-watching a few favorite episodes a few years ago and want to catch them again, but I dont remember which stream has them nowadays since it changes around.

I think the last time I watched them it was free on Peacock but that seems to have moved to a 100% paid only model - are there any free streaming apps that still carry it?

https://archive.org/details/columbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I always just assumed that Falk was drunk off his rear end in Commodore.

Though I guess he could both be drunk and also medicated.