Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't hit the Ed McBain ones yet but I say the worst Columbo is "Murder in Malibu", which was so bad I didn't believe the murderer did it even after he confessed. At least Commodore tried to shake things up a bit even if it completely failed, and the last scene with Columbo in the rowboat is pretty drat good.

It is in my eyes definitely the worst one.

Was rewatching some of it on TV the other day, and I just....do not understand the casting choices. Andrew Stevens is a complete dud, no charisma at all, Brenda Vaccaro seems fine, but the twist of them falling for each other, just comes out of nowhere, zero sexual tension between them at any point. The whole episode is just off, none of it feels right. Not a single line feels convincing, by anyone (except Falk).

Yeah yeah the 90s seasons have some duds and problems throughout, but this is the same season that has a Patrick McGoohan, and Ian McShane in the unique "Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo". Next season kicks off with "Columbo Goes To College", then you have George Hamilton, Dabney Coleman, Rip Torn, Faye Dunaway, the Shat, Ed Begley Jr. etc. Just what the hell were they doing with Stevens and Vaccaro.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Might be a controversial take but I think the Ed McBain episodes are fine.

.....Except No Time To Die, that one is bad.

Hard to judge it, because its as you said, not really a Columbo episode. It's an episode of a show called Columbo, but the main driving point of the action is Columbo's spontaneously invented Nephew. The plot is driven by constant tension in the form of a bride being captured and held at extreme risk of violence. There's no levity that you get in other episodes of Columbo, the plot doesn't have any capacity for it.

Undercover is a lot better because it's such a low-stakes plot that the humour can come through, not just with Falk, but with Ed Begly Jr. and the assorted members of Mafia too. It's a fun little mystery plot with a great opening scene, delivered in the safety of the situation that the rest of Columbo provides, while still setting you forward to the resolution of it by way of revealing the mystery.

And now I'm realizing there's only two Ed McBain episodes of Columbo, always figured there were more. In either case, .500 isn't a bad batting average in my eyes.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

My hands down favourite ending to an episode has to be "Suitable for Framing",

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkMyCdkrn8

Just the way he pulls out those hands, that pose of them, his expression. Cut to that guy absolutely making GBS threads his pants. Freeze frame, show credits, we're done. No need to let it play out, we got the moneyshot and we're done.

Takes No Damage posted:

Columbo episodes have always been about solving a crime that has already taken place, irritating the criminal into making a mistake or otherwise giving something away. There's very rarely ever been any kind of ticking clock. Seeing his lovely little car go screeching around corners as they all rush to collect clues just feels wrong, and makes them shoehorning in tropes like him doing One More Thing a few times feel out of place, like hang on I gotta stop trying to save this girl's life for a minute so I can do a Columbo bit :mad:

Very well said.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Old Swerdlow posted:

Just a fun anecdote.

My wife and I were happily binging away at Columbo this past summer until we hit the episode “Dagger of the Mind” and it just killed our momentum dead. I believe that is considered one of the worst episodes of the show and I believe it. Thankfully we are planning to finally pick up are viewing again in the near future because this show is incredible.

I think there's only like 3 or 4 episodes of the show I consider actually bad, and most of those are in the tail end of the 90s revival. I think you're good for the next few seasons until you hit Last Salute to the Commodore.

Which ones do I think are just bad? Last Salute, Murder in Malibu (by far the worst), Columbo Cries Wolf is just on the precipice (but I think its still more good than it is bad), maybe Death Hits the Jackpot, No Time to Die, maybe Strange Bedfellows but I find Norm funny,

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 22, 2024

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

IMO, rather take the corniness of Murder in Malibu than the tasteless sexual menace of No Time To Die.

I think I don't pay No Time To Die any mind because it feels like a completely different show that Columbo happens to be in, so I just write it off.

Murder in Malibu is definitely an episode of Columbo, in the same vein as all the others, it's just so incompetently made on every level that it staggers me. It's not just a poor showing, it bothers me how bad it is.

Although No Time To Die is definitely sleazy and I don't think I'll ever rewatch it, I can't stand that whole kidnapper weird sexual menace weird guy villain in it, and with no pay-off or arc to it. Dude's just an evil dude who barely shows up in it.