Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FilthyImp posted:

This really shouldn't have died an ignoble death.

And really, we all have the time to marathon Columbo now.

Watch it every Saturday on MeTV!

MeTV airs Columbo on Sunday nights at 8. I don't want to derail the thread too much, but MeTV has to be the best of all those digital sub channels. Their Saturday night programming block, headlined by Svengoolie, is really good. They air the Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock every Sunday-Friday evening. They air some good sitcoms and comedies in the mornings and evenings. Perry Mason twice a day. The station definitely is marketed towards boomers so you get all the awful ads you'd expect, but it's great overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don’t know if it’s mentioned here in the thread but apparently Tubi had all the episodes? At least by my count it does. I also appreciate the thumbnails are usually just a picture of the guest star, making it easy to pick an episode.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tonight's episode on MeTV is a great one.

Troubled Waters

Columbo is a on cruise when a murder takes place so he helps the captain solve the crime. .

Directed by Ben Gazzara.
Robert Vaughn is the perp
Dean Stockwell as the patsy for the murder
Patrick Macnee and Bernard Fox in supporting roles

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Also, the captain talks about meeting Mrs Columbo, so that ruins that silly online theory that Columbo is just making her up.

Yup. Sometimes people online (including here) are just so obsessed with the 'unreliable narrator' thing that they still believe something isn't true when it's absolutely shown to be true.

Does Columbo lie to suspects about things wrt his wife? Absolutely. That's one of his methods of getting info from them. But there definitely is a Mrs. Columbo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrBling posted:

Finished up the "original" run.

Kinda weak episode with the Irish gun runner poet. He wasn't a particularly interesting villain and Columbo didn't really seem to be very into it either.

Are the newer episodes noticeably worse?

I would check out the very last episode "Columbo Likes the Nightlife."

It stars a very young Matthew Rhys.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

There was an interview with Rhys and he talked about making that ep. When he arrived at the airport, Falk was the one to pick him up.

Hell, I know he just did a season of Perry Mason, but get him a trench coat and cigar for a Columbo movie. He could do it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tunicate posted:

On set Peter Falk said "this kid's too good for Columbo"

So you're telling me you're making a movie about an amusement park that has real life dinosaurs? Well ain't that something.

This really is the best tweet ever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's a pretty short list of TV shows that I would consider timeless and Columbo is one of them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1551776916444782592?s=20&t=GZUrFuoTgmhAqNu40TaOBw

A shame we never got a Columbo Muppet Mystery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's great to see so many people discovering/re-discovering this amazing show. When I was a kid it was always airing on independent tv stations alllll weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/kinolorber/status/1633850527506112512?s=46&t=wNf75G2WiIjbMjBMYW-m7Q

Thanks to Gen Z for re-discovering the show.