Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Mover posted:

yeah, the commodore is straight awful. everything else is watchable to great

Tisn't.
Everyone seems to hate this episode but I love it; unique long climax scene with everyone in a room together, 2nd murder which is a mystery, and it's just overall bizarrely funny episode. Yeah Columbo is a little creepy with the girl meditating but he was tryna be quiet so as not to break her concentration. Throw in non-Irish detective Mac helping Columbo, you got a top 15 episode.

Top5:
Murder by the Book
Etude in Black
By Dawn's Early Light
Suitable for Framing
Any Old Port in a Storm

The best of the rebooted 'modern' Columbo have to be Columbo Goes to College & Columbo Goes to the Guillotine.

knox fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Columbo is always screaming though, usually for no reason. Yeah that one scene at the boat yard is a little overkill for sure lol but everything is so bizarro/feels sloshed like the daughter whose drunk the entire episode. I feel like there are much worse episodes even during the main era. The food critic episode I just watched for example, is pretty terrible and super boring compared to Commodore episode for me.

One of my favorite scenes of the entire series.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Food critic episode has Columbo having an extremely Italian conversation in Italian, scamming food every interview, and dodging every countless attempts to poison him at the end by just refusing to eat whatever the murderer poisoned. You’re nuts

Of course there are good aspects of every episode, even the very worst of the 90s ones- it's Peter Falk. I liked that they have the actor who plays Frank Pentangeli in the Godfather/ the Godfather vibes when Columbo summons the critic to his table first time with the detective telling guy "wait right here" and whispering in Columbo's ear. But episode is just boring to me, probably put it in bottom 15.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Columbo tumblr community is skrong. Sent this to my girlfriend because since I convinced her to start watching it with me she's obsessed with Peter Falk and the show. At this point I have to somehow get her onto something else because I've seen every episode (exception of seasons 9-11) 4+ times over last year or more.

knox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2022

knox
Oct 28, 2004

precision posted:

yeah Commodore isn't really "bad" to me because it's at least interesting

the episode in England where the entire first hour is just the theater troupe farting around, woof

Yeah I don't get the Commodore hate; amazing unique ending sequence with room full of suspects Colombo slowly works through, non-Irish asst. detective Mac whipping Columbo's car, a lot of Peter Falk screaming, 2nd murder that is a mystery. I guess it was potentially going to be the final episode of Columbo ever and Patrick McGoohan directing took it in a unique direction. The part with Columbo whispering in the girl's ear as she is meditating is always brought up as to why the episode is 'weird' but he had to do that to not break her concentration.
The England episode is pure shite for sure, besides the mental breakdown the guy has at the end quoting Shakespeare, and also the stagehand they try to get the umbrella off of who tells Columbo about his leg pain and the "da shrapnel at Alamein." Easily one of if not the worst episode of the first 5 seasons.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm working my way through the revival episodes and so far the sex therapist one is the best of the bunch.

Definitely one of the better episodes of the revival period. The College episode & the guillotine episode are my favorites.

Rewatching 'By Dawn's Early Light' and I think it might just be my favorite episode, definitely top 5. Starts off with McGoohan asking for Columbo to be removed 'off the premises' like he's some bum onlooker that is scavenging the ground, until he's told "that's Lieutenant Columbo sir." Columbo sleeping in the barracks with the cadets, moving the hooch cider they're fermenting so he can entrap the instructor with the timing & view he had from the canon.
This episode and the CIA one let you know where Columbo stands politically.

knox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 19, 2022

knox
Oct 28, 2004

MrBling posted:

And the reason for them even doing the Mystery Movie thing in the first place was that Peter Falk absolutely did not want to commit to a regular TV series schedule.
He was a serious film actor and didn't want to get tied up in TV, since that was seen as a lesser thing back then.
This, and mainly because he had a bad experience with the other series he did The Trials of O'Brien, and how much it took out of his social activities.

I've got about 6 episodes of O'Brien in varying bad quality; amazing hilarious show that I wish was available anywhere online because it's Falk as a degenerate lawyer.

NBC wanted to do 20+ episodes of Columbo first season but Falk wasn't down with it. I think in hindsight if he knew how iconic the show/character would become he would've been down to sacrifice some his leisure time for it. The first few seasons are of course a lot better than the later seasons, I do wish we could have had a lot more episodes made during early period.

knox fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 20, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh i forgot to say i finished the show. its great but oh god those ed mcbain adapations loving suck.

anyway my big take is if The Conspirators actually ended with the boat getting away it would have shot up from a decent episode to great. it would finally let a killer get a win which would be perfect for a finale, but columbo still catches them in what counts. columbo just out smarting them on every flank felt unnecessary.

I'm with ya m8, at least letting the boat get out of their jurisdiction and away but still arresting Devlin/having the scene with them sitting at same table again wouldve been good. It did feel like Columbo was leaning sympathically to the cause for sure, with how friendly he is with Devlin the entire episode. Good middle of the pack episode for me.

My top 5 in no order still;
By Dawn's Early Light
Suitable for Framing
Etude in Black
Murder By the Book
Identity Crisis

Prescription Murder pilot, Any Old Port in Storm, Troubled Waters honorable mentions

knox fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 21, 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Columbo displaying his expert foot-combing investigative technique.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

FYI it seems the entire series is on Tubi:
https://tubitv.com/series/300006728/columbo

Wow having only a few episodes per season really lets you plow through things, I was already up to The Commodore :barf:

I tried to pay closer attention and give it an honest 2nd shot, some live watch notes:

-The cuts are already weird and jumpy, and every commercial break just slams to a black screen.
-Big chunk of the opening is a direct rip of Requiem for a Fallen Star, impersonating someone on a boat to make it look like they're still alive.
-Oh yeah Falk is high as gently caress in this :2bong: The second he shows up he's doing everything half speed. Before Falk was an actor he was in the merchant marines, maybe he thought he could just sleepwalk through a boat-based episode?
-:lol: them clowncaring into Columbo's little French thing. First time we see it with the top down I think.
-Loving this scene with people screaming dialogue at each other over industrial shipyard noises.
-Watch Columbo try to cross his legs for 2 minutes :thumbsup:
-Out there on the dock playing Daily Jumble with those stencils.
-This final 'gather in the drawing room' scene is torture.
-Rows off into the sunset :wave:

Still probably the most experimental episode I've seen. Definitely won't ever be a favorite, but if you're in a patient mood it isn't complete garbage the way I once thought.

I always thought the Commodore episode was extremely funny, the final scene with all of them gathered together could've been done a little better writing wise though (" tisn't "). Non-Irish Detective Mac, the 4 of them squeezed into the Peugeot, the screaming, the mizzen-boom jive.
The row off in sunset I believe is due to thinking that was going to be the final episode of Columbo, hence the experimental nature of it as well/trying to do something a little different. The Columbophile community hates the episode.

I was not aware of The Prisoner definitely watching that now.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Had to grab this small Columbo 'Fade Into Murder' painting for my Peter Falk-obsessed gf;

Artist is https://www.instagram.com/rachelpetruccillo, I had seen this painting months ago and was surprised it was still available when I checked last week. Does a lot of classic TV/film portraits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

knox fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 27, 2023