Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Watched through the original run and a few of the renewal episodes a few years ago. I was moving and had a PC but no internet so I sat around watching local media for a few days.

My least favorite murderer is the dude with the wine vault who knocks out his brother(?), ties him up in the vault and leaves him to starve to death over a long weekend :gonk: And Colombo seems to actually like him, keeps asking him about wine pairings and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Weird how if he'd just shot him or cut the brakes on his car or something it wouldn't seem so bad to me.

Unrelated

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

Read a Falk interview at The AV Club and he said in the episode he directed, he asked Spielberg the best way to set up some shots.

Like the Always Sunny podcast joke where "Spielberg" drops by to chat with them, but Falk actually did it, the absolute madman.

Also

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it is! the Peacock Youtube channel has a bunch of clips up so you can skip around and just watch the big reveal endings to a bunch of episodes in a row. Obviously you shouldn't do that, but once you've finished the show it can be a nice way to kill 20 minutes here and there.

FilthyImp posted:

Gee, that's wild. That really is something. How many movies you said? In that little box? I never ina million years would have figured. See my wife is a big film buff, huge, but she's a purist, you know. Has to have that big screen experience. The popcorn and soda, sticky seats.... Ahhh well, you know sir, I'm sure. But, uh, just one question though. One thing that's been bothering me.

You said this was an anniversary gift? But your anniversary isn't for a few more days. So, Mr. Gallinero, who really bought that set? Cuz I could a sworn you said your partner was, ah, away on a cruise ...

My favorite Colombo fanfic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Biggest 'hey I know them' stars for me are Billy Shatner, Cash and Leslie Nielsen twice, once as the husband (fiance?) of the murderer and a few seasons later as the murderer himself. But yeah anyone who lived through 70s pop culture would be recognizing multiple actors per episode. Colombo was like a high class Law and Order where it becomes its own little cottage industry for working actors in LA.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

columbo aired as part of a rotating series thing called The NBC Sunday Mystery Movie

This is actually a pretty big part of how Colombo got made the way it did at all. The reason each episode is feature movie length, and that the acting and production values are so much higher than regular TV is they only had to air one episode a month. The other 3 weeks were 3 other shows that also aired once a month. They were called wheel series.

e:
Has anyone seen the other 2 popular shows that were in rotation with Colombo, McMillan & Wife and McCloud? Either of them approach the quality of our man Falk?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 20, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

This cannot be over-emphasized. Back then being movie actor in the big screen was a huge step up in the ladder from the TV actors. Even doing series of TV movies was pushing it. Going to TV series as a regular was considered a step down towards retirement and something that was really difficult to undo especially if that show wasn't a headliner success.

The reason :clint: went to Italy and made the Dollars Trilogy was because he couldn't get movie roles in LA since he was 'just' a TV actor at the time. Worth it IMO.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I've been watching Poker Face and loving it, so decided to watch Columbo since the former is very, very, very open about cribbing heavily from the latter. The first pilot with the psychiatrist who is so utterly convinced of his superior mind (he doesn't discount Columbo in the slightest! He just thinks he's smarter/better prepared!) and can't help taunting Columbo with hypotheticals that end up hanging him was so good. Especially since the episode wraps up with him just standing and smoking in a kind of bewildered acceptance that he got completely played :allears:

Welcome to every other episode of Colombo. Show's a one trick pony, but it's a really good trick.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

Watched the first episode of Poker Face, it's Columbo as gently caress. They even snuck in This Old Man.

:same: I can kind of see how they're trying to set her up as being detective-y, building timelines and noticing relevant details in photos and videos. Interested to see how they work her superpower into things without just having her point blank say 'did you kill them yes or no' at the end of every episode, plus half the fun of an episode of Colombo is watching the killer lie their rear end off to him and watching him work through it all to get to the truth. Ah well, I like other stuff Rian Johnson has done so I'll give it a fair shake.

Lpzie posted:

I kinda wonder if Columbo made sure both sides were SAFE. Seems like a risk to assume the guy was going to kill you.

That one bothered me as well, didn't seem like the kind of thing to literally bet your life on. I just chalked it up to the reboot seasons being weaker overall.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started a series rewatch and picked up a couple of Columbo watch-along podcasts to listen to. Several of them mention the origins of the character, which began in an episode of The Chevy Mystery Show called 'Enough Rope' from 1960 which was remade into Prescription: Murder 8 years later. I wasn't having any luck tracking down a copy from any source until I stumbled across a Mega link at the bottom of this r/columbo thread.
code:
mega[dot]nz/file/pAgSHTQT#PHLpGkdl_orERrjl9iF7QVabXoM9K-V1ePZmn16O68I
This thing is a bitch to find and may not last long, get it while it's hot In Living Color!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

just got up to here in my watch and hell yes this episode was great. I think my favorite aspect of it all was John J Wilson returning to work with Columbo again and being such an earnest dork. I think season 5 has been my favorite so far although I still have Last Salute to the Commodore to watch

Commodore is a pretty divisive episode, it messes with the regular formula some and a lot of people don't like it. Interested to hear how you think it stacks up to the rest of the season.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

Thanks for this - I'd been trying to find it for years. I knew UCLA had a copy but never managed to track it town online. It's amazing! And also terrible! Large chunks of the script are identical to Prescription: Murder, but it's considerably shorter and the ending is completely different. The sets are made entirely out of wobbly cardboard and the acting and video quality combine to make it look like a daytime soap opera shot live, complete with a few line flubs (including one where I swear Columbo calls the suspect 'Columbo'). No idea if it was actually done live but it sure seems that way. Worth a watch for historic reasons and now I'm rewatching Prescription: Murder. I'm pretty sure the credit sequence cost more than the whole of 'Enough Rope'.

It was definitely shot 'live' soap opera style. In one of the waiting room scenes when Columbo is talking to the secretary he accidentally calls himself Doctor Columbo :lol: And yeah the ending just kind of happens, but no way could they have afforded a swimming pool set so I guess pinning it all on the luggage weight discrepancy was the next best thing.

e:
Doctor Columbo is in.
https://i.imgur.com/39f5NdT.mp4

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 9, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
VERY NICE

Sounds like the plan is to split the show into 'up to 70s' and 'after'. If they don't call the first set Sorry To Bother You and the second one Just One More Thing I swear to god

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've stalled out on my latest full rewatch attempt (again) but there are still a handful of 2nd wave Columbo episodes I haven't seen yet. I know they're uneven as hell but the competitionist in me won't let them go.

Unrelated
https://twitter.com/GetGianni/status/1541848396658532353

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

this is how my watch is going, it's my first watch of the show but I'm also currently stopped on episode 2 of season 7, about halfway through and I've started and stopped it twice, losing interest in finishing it both times and wandering off to do other things. things definitely do not feel as warm and lovely and delightful as the first 6 seasons even if it's still a fine show

Trying to get things kicked up again, but so far only a couple of episodes in S2 are real standouts for me, particularly eps 2 and 6 (with killer Spock !!). Ep 2 is a weird one because the murder doesn't happen until half way in, but I like it because it's one of the few that Columbo solves with pure forensic evidence rather than just annoying the murderer into inadvertently confessing somehow.

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/bovibaee/status/1523079870187593730

e:
Season 2 rewatch complete. More consistent than the first; only a few standouts for me (Greenhouse Jungle and Stitch in Crime) but no total stinkers either. Requiem was a weird one, I don't think they'd figured out how to do female murderers very well yet.

e2:
Season 3 off to a rough start, already found a continuity error SMDH:

https://i.imgur.com/BdkjlMO.mp4

e3:
Just finishing up 303: Candidate for Crime. I really liked this one, we see a lot more of Columbo sleuthing around than in previous stories. Usually he just pops up every few scenes with new evidence to gently caress with the murderer, but in this one we actually follow him around as he's figuring things out. They skip over a bit at the end so he can still do his 'the killer is in this room' speech but otherwise it's a lot more forensic than what we've seen before.

e4:
Timmy, run down to the Cigarette Department and grab momma a pack of Camels.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 26, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

First annual Columbo Thread GoonCon location scouted!

LifeSunDeath posted:

LOL and there's zero real reason why it's even there:

quote:

Though Peter Falk and the street's namesake, 19th century Hungarian politician Miksa Falk, were both Jewish, and the actor Peter Falk had ancestors from Hungary, there is no known family relationship between them. The actor's Hungarian connection was not through the Falk family on his father's side, but through his maternal grandfather.

e:
:2bong:
https://i.imgur.com/mK6ZiQV.mp4
:420:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Something I only picked up on during my rewatch for the Cash ep: he really screwed himself over by committing the crime in a way that only a professional parachute rigger could have :doh:

I've also been loosely following my rewatch with episodes from this podcast, they usually do a decent job of covering everything that happens and adding some decent discussion/analysis:

https://columbopodcast.com/

e:
I see what you did there you sneaky fuckin' writers:

https://i.imgur.com/G0QNqm3.mp4

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 11, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FYI it seems the entire series is on Tubi:
https://tubitv.com/series/300006728/columbo

Wow having only a few episodes per season really lets you plow through things, I was already up to The Commodore :barf:

I tried to pay closer attention and give it an honest 2nd shot, some live watch notes:

-The cuts are already weird and jumpy, and every commercial break just slams to a black screen.
-Big chunk of the opening is a direct rip of Requiem for a Fallen Star, impersonating someone on a boat to make it look like they're still alive.
-Oh yeah Falk is high as gently caress in this :2bong: The second he shows up he's doing everything half speed. Before Falk was an actor he was in the merchant marines, maybe he thought he could just sleepwalk through a boat-based episode?
-:lol: them clowncaring into Columbo's little French thing. First time we see it with the top down I think.
-Loving this scene with people screaming dialogue at each other over industrial shipyard noises.
-Watch Columbo try to cross his legs for 2 minutes :thumbsup:
-Out there on the dock playing Daily Jumble with those stencils.
-This final 'gather in the drawing room' scene is torture.
-Rows off into the sunset :wave:

Still probably the most experimental episode I've seen. Definitely won't ever be a favorite, but if you're in a patient mood it isn't complete garbage the way I once thought.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

I was not aware of The Prisoner definitely watching that now.

Payndz posted:

Oh yeah, definitely watch The Prisoner. Go in knowing as little about it as possible if you can.

Depending on how goony you want to be about it, there's ongoing debate about what order to watch the episodes in. There are certain episodes where he mentions being new or doesn't seem to know what's going on that make sense early on, and others where he's more in control or messing with the staff which fit better later in the season. After doing a bit of research I settled on this order which seems to be fairly reasonable:

The Unmutual Website order:
01. Arrival
02. Dance of the Dead
03. Free for All
04. Checkmate
05. The Chimes of Big Ben
06. Schizoid Man
07. The General
08. A. B. and C
09. Many Happy Returns
10. A Change of Mind
11. Hammer into Anvil
12. Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling
13. Living in Harmony
14. The Girl Who Was Death
15. It's Your Funeral
16. Once Upon a Time
17. Fall Out

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just hitting the first '89 reboot episode :guillotine:

I did like how, since most viewers wouldn't have seen the character since '78, they reveal Falk like a slasher villain. The weird Frenchy car slowly rolls up with his face in shadow, then illuminated by him lighting his cigar :clint:

Watching him blow up the psychic's meal ticket was more fun than I remember, but still calling bullshit on betting his life on that guillotine trick just working out the way he intended. 10 more episodes and I can start mixing in the Specials shows, most of which I don't think I've seen before.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat the end of Murder, Smoke and Shadows is brutal. I don't remember any earlier episode where Columbo relishes grinding the murderer's face in it during the reveal. He really hated that fuckin' kid, but I suppose his crime was also pretty brutal.

Now that I think on it, these first 2 episodes of the reboot feature a decapitation and a hammer smashed face :gibs: Quite the change from the bloodless deaths of the '70s.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyyCIE9IRkI

e:
Still pushing through latter day episodes, someday I will actually completely finish the series! Tonight was the last ep of season 9, Murder in Malibu. Giving this one props for doing something different with the murder and not fully revealing things until the end. Some real Agatha Christie poo poo.

Though I don't think I ever need to hear Peter Falk say the word 'panties' ever again in my life :chloe:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 11, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

all those audio commentaries... drat i want that collection

wanna hear that TV historian defend Commodore :getin:

But yeah the commentaries are the most interesting part of a disc release, unless they do a really good job with the film restore which I never trust until it gets released and the reviews come in.

Also :lol: somebody in the replies tried to 'huh I guess I'm a little confused' the post by pointing out the box says 1970s and the movie came out in '68. A false Columbo fan.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooo I'm just starting season 10 and plan to thread in the episodes categorized as specials chronologically. Which means I'm just a few Columbos away from both Undercover and No Time to Die. Guess I've still got stuff to look forward to :q:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that's a pretty big bummer, that's 90% of the draw of the set for most people I'd imagine. I assume licensing bullshit but I can't think what would have made them wipe all of the extra content out vs individual pieces.

Unrelated, finally dipping my toes into season 10 for the first time, two episodes down. Digging it pretty well so far. Goes to College was maybe the best ep yet for the perps being smug dickheads and underestimating Columbo while loving up constantly. Hazardous's killer is significantly less smug, but still makes game ending errors left and right. It almost feels like they're making the killers dumber so their mistakes are easier to follow for modern audiences?

I'm trying to watch everything chronologically, so one more ep then I'll dip into the Specials for 3 shows, then the 2nd half (?) of season 10 before finishing off the series with the rest of the Specials.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I haven't hit the Ed McBain ones yet but I say the worst Columbo is "Murder in Malibu", which was so bad I didn't believe the murderer did it even after he confessed.

Heh, I actually really liked that one, because for one of very few times in the whole show it leaves you guessing on what actually happened, and I thought the idea of having the 'murderer' being mistaken themselves about killing someone was clever. If nothing else props to the guy for thinking on his feet!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I ain't no kinda lawyer or nuthin' but shouldn't that just mean they would get a cut of the sales, or cancel the release entirely? How does stripping out the commentaries but still releasing the episodes do anything?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Oh wait, they don't exist, because when Falk went to them and offered to do them, Universal said "Nah", and turned him away.

Beginning to think these Universal boys might be a few pecks short of a bushel :raise:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

I understood the baffling defense of Commodore in this thread once I reached the Ed McBain episodes. Then I knew how they could say it wasn't the worst.

Aright, starting McBain #1 No Time to Die, how bad can it be?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Aright, starting McBain #1 No Time to Die, how bad can it be?

OK right away, what the gently caress are these computer font timestamps that keep coming up ??

Yep there's just some fatty in a steam bath that knows every criminal in LA by name. What is this, Neverwinter Nights?

:lol: they lock a kidnapping victim in a room where the door hinges are on the inside.

OK my bad, she does go after the hinges, color me impressed. Could do without her constantly explaining her every action out loud to the audience though. And feel free to turn off that loving music...

They really did a Zoom, Enhance on a class ring shot on 35mm film from 20ft away :rolleyes:

Extremely unprofessional to let this cop participate in kicking in doors looking for his own wife :nyd:

They showed Columbo with a gun, hosed UP :mad:

Overall this wasn't a terrible episode of a generic police procedural, but a right poo poo episode of Columbo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

The plot is driven by constant tension in the form of a bride being captured and held at extreme risk of violence. There's no levity that you get in other episodes of Columbo, the plot doesn't have any capacity for it.

:same:

Columbo episodes have always been about solving a crime that has already taken place, irritating the criminal into making a mistake or otherwise giving something away. There's very rarely ever been any kind of ticking clock. Seeing his lovely little car go screeching around corners as they all rush to collect clues just feels wrong, and makes them shoehorning in tropes like him doing One More Thing a few times feel out of place, like hang on I gotta stop trying to save this girl's life for a minute so I can do a Columbo bit :mad:

e:

Columbo's lit, ACAB:

https://i.imgur.com/u2T9Q9V.mp4

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 20, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In like half the episodes that mistake is them just killing the person whose figured it out (more sloppily) instead of letting them be blackmailed though

I like how in Any Port in a Storm the guy is slightly relived to be caught because it means at least he won't have to marry his psycho secretary. If you want to see the blackmailer more or less get theirs (before their whale get's got) watch Murder of a Rock Star.

e:
Also watched the 2nd McBain episode, Undercover. Again a decent general CopTV episode but completely wrong for Columbo. Probably still worth watching at least once for a young Ed Begley Jr. but watching Columbo roughing up perps, threatening them with a gun and using retarded as a pejorative is all pretty *oof* At least all of that is contained in a single scene, aside from that and the ridiculous premise it's not a bad hour+ of TV.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 1, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

This and Negative Reaction are the best endings.

Did you see that?

Did you see what he just did?

Did you see that?

Because he had a reaction to a film negative, get it :haw:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched A Trace of Murder, only 3 more episodes to go and I'll never be able to watch a Columbo for the first time :smith:

But Trace was one of the better post-renewal episodes, fun characters and the 'twist' with one of the murderers was pretty great. But holy poo poo do they have 0 respect for the viewer anymore. The last 5 minutes of the episode is just Columbo physically recreating the 'gotcha' moment with his friends from the bar, spelling each thing out explicitly so that there can be no possible confusion about how he figured things out. Why show don't tell, when you can show and tell, then show and tell again :doh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some still keeping the old fires burning :patriot:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
McGoohan is pretty good as a guest, maybe just behind Cult and Cassidy, but his direction is hit or miss and unfortunately goes he out on a real stinker with the truly unfortunate Too Many Notes:

There shouldn't be 5 quarter notes in one measure if it's in 4/4! That's literally what time signatures mean!! :argh:

Dumb murder plot, weak reveal/'gotcha', multiple annoying musical interludes and a contender for all-time worst Columbo scene with that drive home :negative:

So far I've been pretty surprised at the continuing quality of revival '80s Columbo, not as good as the '70s run but easily worth watching, even into the sporadic specials of the '90s. But this penultimate episode sucked and I'm not hearing great things about Nightlife either :ohdear: The real bummer is the previous episode, 1998's Ashes to Ashes, was McGoohan's final on-screen appearance and was a pretty good episode, would have been a fine time to end it. Hell it even would have been thematic, laying the series to rest in a funeral home. The 00s were just one decade too far to stretch this show it seems.

Welp, one more episode to go and I'll never watch another Columbo for the first time, real end of an era for me :patriot:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Now you see him is maybe the best episode of the series and it’s crazy it’s right next to the undisputed worst

I was unreasonably proud of myself for "figuring out" how he did the number trick before they explained it.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I dispute it. A lot of the revival episodes aren't very good at all.

They're uneven sure, but IMO there's enough good stuff in there to justify bringing the show back, or at least reviving it didn't damage the perception of the original run the way it could have. Stuff like Columbo Cries Wolf and Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo play with the established formula with pretty good results, especially when stacked up against the McBrain episodes :barf:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've mentioned this before but faulk is clearly high the entire episode and everyone is trying their best to get something out of the scenes in the time they have. that we're approaching 50 years since it was released and no one wants to officially acknowledge it, and there's an endless parade of fans saying it's bad and not picking up on this basic clue no matter how often they rewatch it is hilarious to me tbh

I had heard that before my latest rewatch, and while it does explain a lot of things it didn't make it any easier to sit through for me. Watching Falk squirm into people's personal spaces like the couch and car scenes were legit funny though.

ynohtna posted:

Don't go out on a low note when you can go out high in a row boat?

Columbo Likes the High Life :hmmyes:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 21, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Worst is they're both decent cop stories, just absolutely wrong for the Columbo character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

It's the most absurdist the show gets if you ignore the chess dream at the beginning of The Most Dangerous Match.

I see you've blocked out the dream reenactments from the therapy tapes in Murder, a Self Portrait. Good idea.

My uncle... in French mon oncle... mon oncle... mononcle... monocle! The person in her dream was wearing a monocle :monocle:

Just... loving, :negative: