Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I know there are people here with way more pet experience than me, so I'm hoping to get some advice regarding my 4 year old dog, because she has been having issues with her anal glands for over a year now.

For some background, this is her food history:
1) 2016: Orijen puppy
2) 2017-2018: Orijen adult
3) 2019 - 2020 spring: Royal Canin medium adult
4) 2020 spring - now: Royal Canin hypoallergenic

We switched away from Orijen due to the DCM danger, but shortly after she started getting Royal Canin medium adult, she started having constant issues with her anal sacs not emptying at all. We went to a bunch of different vets and eventually figured out that the problem was a combination of her anal glands being in a slightly irregular position and her poop being a just bit softer than normal (not diarrhea or anything, it was a very subtle difference in consistency).
We managed to solve the issue for a while by switching to Royal Canin hypoallergenic, because that food completely dried up her poop and made it really firm. It had that effect on her all summer, but it stopped working about a week ago - her poop has become softer again.
What's even worse is that it's quite obvious that she doesn't enjoy eating the hypoallergenic food at all. She usually has an endless appetite, but with the hypoallergenic, she sometimes leaves food in her bowl for hours. Orijen kibble used to even motivate her enough to be used as a reward for training, but she has no interest at all in the hypoallergenic kibble. We recently started using Specific dog treats to reward her instead, but I suspect those are the cause for her poop being softer again, so I think we will need to stop.

Basically, I'm looking for some advice on alternative foods to try. I don't think she had any soft poop issues on Orijen, so I'm almost considering trying it again, but I will never forgive myself if she gets some heart issues as a result. Ideally, I'm hoping to find some food that will harden up her poop while still being tasty enough to be used as a reward. I realize that all dogs are different so there's no immediately clear answer, but there are really a lot of different brands available. Maybe someone could share some recommendations in order to narrow down the list of options?

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Thanks! I'll try to see if I can find those brands for sale anywhere.

She's a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, so I think she's just bordering on medium size. She weighs about 14kg. I don't really have any good baselines for comparison in terms of energy levels, but our usual routine is one or two play sessions during the day and a 2-3km walk every evening, and that doesn't really tire her out at all. She only really gets tired when playing with other dogs for hours or when we go for long hikes on weekends.