Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I need some help with transitioning two cats to a feeding schedule rather than free feeding.

My partner and I have two cats, and while we used to feed them wet food, we felt like we were often wasting a lot of food (parts would go uneaten and need to be thrown out, etc.). We found that just letting them free feed on kibble was working well and saved a ton of money. We'd put out a measured amount of kibble a couple times per day and neither cat would ever gorge themselves--they were very good about controlling how much they wanted to eat, and both of them drank tons of water, so hydration was never a concern.

Thing is, we know that might not last. One of our cats is almost 10 now and while she seems very healthy and energetic now, eventually she'll get some kind of sick and maybe need a special diet that our younger cat doesn't. We're eventually going to need to feed them separate things, so we're trying to transition to a) feeding on a schedule, and b) feeding wet food again (just so we're feeding them something better for them).

We found a wet food they seem to like (Wellness CORE, usually the bits in gravy more than the pate or shreds), but the problem is that we can't seem to get them to eat enough while their food is out, and that leads to our older cat being super hungry in the middle of the night and waking me up at like 4 or 5 to beg for food.

Does anyone have tips for making this transition? It's been a couple weeks now and I still can't get either cat to even eat half of a small can of wet food in one 20-minute mealtime, and they need about 3 full cans each per day for their caloric requirements. I've resorted to giving them each a small bit of dry food before bed just so they're getting a few more calories in them, but maybe I need to stop that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU