Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh boy this looks fun.

Yeah I can definitely see that this is very much an Unofficial SCP fangame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Now this seems neat. And I have a soft spot for LPs based around niche titles with bad/nonexistent translations, so that's cool too.

Looking forward to how the game throws wrenches into the gameplay loop. It seems a little simplistic now, but I imagine it's going to layer problem on top of problem here on out.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Let’s just say most anomalies aren’t as forgiving as our good skull friend. :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It was more than just a bad initial translation; apparently Project Moon gave a third party a pile of money to do the job, and what they turned in was one step removed from a machine translation, leading to the dev team splitting up.

I love this game to death, so it's great to see somebody LPing it. And Library of Ruina enters early access next month! unless it gets delayed again

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Just chiming in to say I also grabbed the game and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing you how many mistakes I've made! (Given how I took neither of the ones you were looking for and did take the third one there, I'm going to guess "a lot").

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Nick Buntline posted:

Just chiming in to say I also grabbed the game and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing you how many mistakes I've made! (Given how I took neither of the ones you were looking for and did take the third one there, I'm going to guess "a lot").

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! Don't worry too much about picking the wrong abnormality or what have you, this is one of those games where you have 'learning experiences' instead of 'mistakes.'

It's just that sometimes those learning experiences involve a half-dozen agents being converted into bloody mist. :eng101:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, it’s actually very friendly to mistakes of that sort as well given that you can always restart the day, even! If you feel like you’ve taken losses that will flat out sink you in the future don’t hesitate to slap that restart button.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Oooh, excited to see this get LP'd! I was interested in this game when it first came out, but I could never quite manage the gameplay loop, and the translation probably didn't help. Looking forward to seeing a proper dive into the Anomalies!

I've submitted an agent, as well.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Signed up too, cannot wait to have to go clean Cthulhu's toilet.

One thing I am wondering about, where are we getting these abnormalies from? Not from a "how did they come to be?" point since I figure the game might go into that later, but rather what poor shmuck has the job of trucking those things from wherever they got them to our facility. Goodness knows that the last thing a trucker needs when spending hours on the road is an ancient horror of unfathomable terror speaking terrible secrets into their ear :v:

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
They actually do cover how they get them into the facility. The world-building is immense.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Aw, you're not gonna let us vote on which Abnormality you pick at the end of the day? But I wanted to make things hard for you! /s

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

serefin99 posted:

Aw, you're not gonna let us vote on which Abnormality you pick at the end of the day? But I wanted to make things hard for you! /s

I know you’re joking, but honestly I actually considered it at one point.The problem was that in order to do that I’d have to either let the screen sit on the abnormality selection until the vote was done-not really feasible as I’d be leaving a game that can have memory leaks open for days at a time-or replay the day another 2-3 times until whatever you voted for came up, which would really break continuity and also seriously slow down my ability to update.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to realistically let you guys build the facility. :shrug:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
You know, when I said I wanted to watch what horrible fate would await the first schmuck to deal with skull buddy here, it was a jest knowing how incredibly forgiving it is.

I did not realize you could actually have it, and it alone, gently caress someone up enough to have them snap.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

I know you’re joking, but honestly I actually considered it at one point.The problem was that in order to do that I’d have to either let the screen sit on the abnormality selection until the vote was done-not really feasible as I’d be leaving a game that can have memory leaks open for days at a time-or replay the day another 2-3 times until whatever you voted for came up, which would really break continuity and also seriously slow down my ability to update.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to realistically let you guys build the facility. :shrug:

Technically there is always a way.

Don't bother doing this lol, but technically you could spin up a virtual machine, install the game within the VM, and whenever you get to a vote, store a memory snapshot of the VM and close it. Restore from snapshot when the vote is done.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Don't bother doing this lol, but technically you could spin up a virtual machine, install the game within the VM, and whenever you get to a vote, store a memory snapshot of the VM and close it. Restore from snapshot when the vote is done.

Don't worry about me doing it. It took about four reads and a google search just to wrap my head around the idea. It's beyond my ability.

Still, a hearty tip of the hat for figuring out in like 30 seconds what I couldn't manage in a week. :tipshat:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Carbon dioxide posted:

Easier method:

I vote Box 3, whatever Box 3 is next time

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

gotta agree, box three it is

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

RIP guy who went insane from... a floating skull.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Talow posted:

RIP guy who went insane from... a floating skull.

I'm intensely curious if the reason you always start with the floating skull will come up in the playthrough

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Mechanics Talk 1: Risk Levels and Damage

Welcome to Mechanics Talk, where I will be talking about a lot of the underpinnings that explain why things happen the way they happen. The first things I'll be covering are the risk levels of Abnormalities, and how damage is calculated.

There are five different risk levels for Abnormalities and E.G.O gear, and they will roughly tell us how powerful things are. They are, in order: ZAYIN, TETH, HE, WAW, and ALEPH. These letters are out of place alphabetically, but lunnrais has a bit of insight as to the order.

lunnrais posted:

I can help out with a little explaining of the jewish mysticism as well, as things come up (Jen X is doing a pretty good job so far). I would like to note that they are using an older style of transliteration that is fallen out of style these days. It's a style that approximates the Ashkenazi style of pronunciation, which notably has a different pronunciation for the tav with or without a dagesh (a dot inside the letter, which is usually not actually written most of the time, with the expectation that you just "know" that the dot is supposed to be there in a particular word or not), while modern and sephartic hebrew does not make a distinction whether a dagesh is present or not. Amongst ashkenazi, the tav can be pronounced "t" or "s", depending on the dagesh, but when transliterating, they want to distinguish a tav from a samech or shin/sin, so instead of writing it as an "s", they write it as a "th" instead. It's why English has the word "Sabbath", when actual ashkenazi say "Shabbos", and modern Israelis say "Shabbat".

This strange older form of transliteration also gives us the letter "waw" instead of "vav", when I'm vaguely sure that no system of pronunciation actually treats it like a "w" (it's either a "u", "o", or a "v"). There are other oddities that pop up from time to time as well.

The letters being out of sequence, alphabetically and numerically, probably has something to do with the mysticism behind the letters themselves. Here's my best guess. Note that because this is mysticism, there are of course way too many possible meanings for each letter, so I could be entirely off base here, or dead on, who knows.

Zayin means "weapon", in particular either a sword or a crown and scepter, so that seems reasonable to be the baseline for anomalies.
Tet means "hidden good", or more specifically, the 9 months of pregnancy. So tet class anomalies are hiding something more, making them more dangerous.
Hei is an entire world/universe, such as heaven, or the material universe, or the entirety of an individual's internal experience. This would be the realization of tet's hidden factor.
Vav literally means "and", and is symbolically used as a bridge to to something even greater, such as making a connection between heaven and earth.
Aleph is that something greater.

As we can see from this screenshot, One Sin is a ZAYIN (1), the lowest Abnormality tier. It deals 1-2 White damage(2). Notably, it deals a random number from 1 to 2, so an Agent could take something like 1.4 damage. While the game only shows whole numbers next to agents' HP and SP, it actually tracks them to 4 decimal places. This is why an Agent will sometimes survive with 0 HP or SP.

We can also see One Sin's E.G.O suit on the screen, Penitence (3). It has a tier of ZAYIN and RWBP defenses of 0.9/0.8/0.9/2.0, respectively. Any damage modifier in Lobotomy Corporation is done by multiplication, so if an Agent works One Sin and wears its E.G.O suit, the damage they would take on each failure would be between (1-2)*0.8= 0.8-1.6 White damage.

Outside of damage resistance, the most common modifier to damage is based on risk levels. An ALEPH attacking a TETH will deal much more damage than a TETH would, because their base strength is that much higher.

This chart shows what the multiplier is for every attack level vs every defense level. There's a slight defender's advantage to how the numbers work, so we want to keep our suits at least one tier below whatever it is we're dealing with in order to keep the damage our Agents take down.

That's it for damage calculations and risk levels. It's basic information, but knowing it means that we can better eyeball how much damage our Agents are likely to take from working Abnormalities, and that comes in very handy later on. :eng101:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 28, 2021

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I spy a "abnormality story records" button up to, what's that about?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Regallion posted:

I spy a "abnormality story records" button up to, what's that about?

Every abnormality has a story that you unlock as you get their info. I haven't shown it off yet since we haven't unlocked any full stories, but it'll be coming soon enough.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

TeeQueue posted:

I'd considered LPing this myself, and my "plan" was to offer a list of 3 possibilities to vote on and use the winners to build a priority list that would get picked if they ever came up. But yeah, there's not really a non-awkward or technical way to do it.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Honestly, having seen enough LPs that rely on player input just stall out when the audience ends up selecting a series of choices that are just... A chore to play, I'm more than happy to watch the selections being made by someone who knows what they're doing. I'd rather have a complete, informative LP than an incomplete one where the final few posts are constant fire fighting to keep your head out of the water.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Saw someone (Jadestar or Highwang probably) play this on twitch. Was totally lost. So pretty hype for an informative LP! Game has a strong mood. Even if the moe AIs are a little eye-rolling.
If people want to play too the BeforeIPlay got a post about this recently (not on the wiki at time of posting.) :siren: Possibly spoilers I don't know! :siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=804#post504208582

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
This game looks absolutely sick, about time someone made an SCP-style management game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Huh, I never realized that they actually got the risk order so weird!

All the abnormality risk levels are transliterated hebrew letters, but instead of being in alphabetical order, they go 7, 9, 5, 6, 1

It would be like the following scale, in order: G, I, E, F, A

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I agree that I'd rather have TeeQueue pick the anomalies themselves. I'd like to see an informative LP and this game has a chance to be a massive slog if you pick poorly. And, usually, even if you don't. Although I'd love to see you pick that anomaly. You know the one. The thattest anomaly you can get.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chinely posted:

I agree that I'd rather have TeeQueue pick the anomalies themselves. I'd like to see an informative LP and this game has a chance to be a massive slog if you pick poorly. And, usually, even if you don't. Although I'd love to see you pick that anomaly. You know the one. The thattest anomaly you can get.

Every time I think I know what you mean I think of another anomaly that could be describe as the thattest

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
What I’d say is that if there are any abnormalities you’re not going to take, under any circumstances, you could provide a spoiler-filled bonus explanation as to what the thing is and why you refuse to deal with it

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Jen X posted:

What I’d say is that if there are any abnormalities you’re not going to take, under any circumstances, you could provide a spoiler-filled bonus explanation as to what the thing is and why you refuse to deal with it

That'd definitely be interesting, without messing up the actual gameplay.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The thottest abomination

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Love this game! Hoping to see some of my favourite anomalies like T-04-53 and T-01-68!
:v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

While we're going to be seeing every abnormality eventually, I certainly don't mind providing my thought process behind picking them, like with -27 vs -56.

(I also promise to tell you when we see my thattest abnormality. :ssh: )

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Haha, I can't wait! I'd say mine but the later abnormalities are so spoiler filled that I don't even want to hint.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I am hooked and want to see where this goes.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Day 2: Story

Music: story 1

Since she's our "most trustworthy and capable companion among all the AIs," we're going to be speaking with Angela at the start of every day. Today is no different.

That is the motto of our founder, the one whom we refer to as A.

>Face the Fear

Of course, with the exclusion of myself, as I do not exactly belong to humanity. How should I put it? We are pioneering an entirely new world in a brand new field of study. The discoveries we have made thus far are merely the tip of the iceberg.

We confronted them for the first time. And we faced fear itself. They were fundamentally an incarnation of fear.

:derp: :hb: ...Yeah, that tracks.

---

>Build the Future

One may simply lie atop the sand of the future… Or they may shape it with purpose. Lobotomy Corporation is an innovative company. The harvesting technologies we have discovered are such a…

It’s simply remarkable. These technologies could be the salvation of mankind. With these, we will mould the future, creating brand new paths.

---

Routes Merge Here
In summary: Lobotomy Corporation is simply remarkable, says the AI who was made by Lobotomy Corporation for the advancement of Lobotomy Corporation's corporate agenda. Also, Abnormalities are apparently incarnations of fear. This means we're probably not going to see any cuddly teddy bears anytime soon.

This isn't all, though. Any time you finish a mission for a Sephirot, their story progresses and they give you a new mission. Yesterday, we cleared Malkuth's first mission so right after this we get to see-

Music: Town - Alone in a Crowd

Angela again? :confused:

Usually, I am in charge of the security of your office. However, it seems that I failed to pay close enough attention to the Sephirah meeting room. I heard that a Control Team employee has “resigned” from the corporation.

"Good job?" :raise:

You do know what it means to “resign” here in the company, don’t you?

Great. Now they both think their boss is an idiot. :v:

I’ll take that as a no. I do sometimes miscalculate what information I should deliver to you and what I shouldn’t. Some aspects of our company that I considered natural and obvious may come as quite a shock to you.

It’s like a well-structured play. Every actor has a role and they must be faithful to their part without any error, synergizing with each other. Now, imagine that one of the actors decides to leave the stage because they didn’t like their role. The actor should have played their predetermined part at the predetermined timing before making their exit stage left. But to leave the stage without fulfilling their part means that the life of the role and its actor are finished. That is what we mean when we say someone “resigns”.

Oh, there's Malkuth! I mentioned earlier that it'd be fine if someone went into the Kabbalah stuff more in-depth, and Jen X was kind enough to oblige, so I'll be quoting them occasionally from here on in.

Jen X posted:

As far as the Sephirot symbolism goes, all that matters for the moment is that the higher sefirot are the aspects of god considered closer to the divine source, while the lower ones are the more...human accessible, is I guess the best way to put it? Malkuth (or Malkhut, if you want a better transliteration), for example, is "kingship".

I knew you could do it! You’ll never guess how much I rooted for you back there. As for me, the day went alright; we covered a joint emergency-protocol drill for my team! Not a single dropout or injury! Everyone did a good job! Not to say that it was perfect, though.

Malkuth is so earnest that it's easy to forget the first thing that she does is have someone iced for trying to quit their job. :3:

Those entities that wander the facility, unable to be contained. And sometimes, they manifest themselves in the corridors. The drills do no good when you encounter them, since we don’t have enough data on them. So we always have to stay alert! No matter how meticulous our plan is, we can’t control the unknown.

Pausing here to say that I couldn't find the next song anywhere in the music files I had access to. If anyone can find it, please let me know and I'll get the name information updated.

Music: UNKNOWN from M2

It’s not like fear or anything… Some other sensation. Strange, isn’t it? I feel nauseous, like something within me is palpitating out of control, and it feels… like I’m no longer myself… How could I describe it? Like something’s wriggling inside of me…

In summary: If an employee tries to resign the higher-ups just murder them, confirming what happened at the end of day 1. There are also other things that just show up in hallways sometimes and cause problems. They seem to do something unpleasant to Malkuth's mental state.

We can think about that later, though, because we've got a brand new mission to do!

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Time Kompression! Obscure mechanics! Malevolent vibes!

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 28, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

So even if we keep the Abnormalities in their boxes the mystery uncontained wandering entities might end up making the AIs snap? The same AIs that already see murder as a legitimate means of solving personnel issues? That's reassuring. :stonk:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
AIs? Pfft. The clue is in the title. One ice pick and over-stressed employees become admin staff.

Actually guessing that's not the case, with language barrier and stuff, but I like the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Better roll any broken AI back to the previous day.