Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Stuck in the eternal limbo state despite filing every year. Probably because I'm horribly in debt and still owe the IRS a good deal. Same with state unemployment, but I'm self-employed in the south, so that's not a surprise.

I don't personally expect to see a red cent from either program at this point, but maybe that's just my pessimism. Even just discounting what I currently owe the IRS by that amount would be a lot, though.

Edit: It is unwise to post mere minutes after waking up.

Have you asked the IRS for an offer in compromise? They know how much you make, and if it's a one-time issue that would be really difficult to pay back, they can be surprisingly generous in what they're willing to forgive. I knew someone who had a high-four-figure tax debt after he took a 1099 job (without anybody explaining to him what that meant for taxes) - after a few rounds of paperwork they let him pay about 15% and forgave the rest with a stern bureaucratic warning that if he did it again they'd gently caress him up.

There are shady companies that advertise on late night TV that they'll handle the paperwork for you, but they just take money for doing things you can do yourself.

The IRS has more information here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-explains-how-offer-in-compromise-works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU