Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Stuck in the eternal limbo state despite filing every year. Probably because I'm horribly in debt and still owe the IRS a good deal. Same with state unemployment, but I'm self-employed in the south, so that's not a surprise.

I don't personally expect to see a red cent from either program at this point, but maybe that's just my pessimism. Even just discounting what I currently owe the IRS by that amount would be a lot, though.

Edit: It is unwise to post mere minutes after waking up.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Scooter_McCabe posted:

https://www.fool.com/taxes/2020/04/22/can-the-irs-keep-my-stimulus-payment-if-i-owe-mone.aspx

So the IRS can't take your stimulus check even if you owe them. Now if you want to turn around and pay them with their own money more power to you, it's yours to spend.

To my shock and surprise, they actually changed my status to eligible and pending as of today, so hey, maybe it'll actually happen. I've just gotten way too used to everything being broken and non-functional all the time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It would loving figure that the business loans flow like floodwaters, but they slow-roll the actual relief program. (I suspect this is an indirect consequence of cutting operational funding to the bone and then expecting the IRS to handle giving out money piecemeal to each person individually while still probably requiring them to vet every claim, but what do I know)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
If someone else has declared you as a dependent, you are not eligible for the payment; I don't know if there's any other recourse or alternative payment available.

Slight good news, in a round-about way; if you're being declared as a dependent, you are required to file taxes. There's some set of conditions I'm not qualified to advise people on where you don't have to file, but in spite of the common conception of everyone I've ever talked to about it and myself before having reason to look it up last year, adult dependents are actually required to file, apparently. So you're properly on top of that, at least.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

mdemone posted:

It sure as poo poo doesn't take them this long to figure it out, when I owe them money. But when they owe me money, suddenly it's Zeno's Fuckin Paradox over there.

Intentional fuckery from on high, probably. Keep in mind, the US system where the IRS (usually) knows what you make and owe but also expects you to figure that out on your own and tell them is uhhhhh an uncommon combination.

From what I understand their service budget was reduced and their enforcement budget has been slashed to the bone. Guess what class of tax filer that tends to benefit most :v: