Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
AMERIGOONS, ALL THIS CAN BE YOURS!

(Not legal tender. This image and post are not endorsed by the IRS.)

If you are an American goon who hasn't already received your almighty Pee Boy Pandemic Dollaz, you should check your status and make sure there's nothing you need to do on the IRS site:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Follow the instructions on this site to check the status of your payment, or give the IRS your up-to-date direct payment info. You will have to read some instructions, but hey, it's literally money the government is supposed to be paying you.

If you've filed taxes in the last couple years and you have not been giving the IRS deposit info, do it. It's the difference between getting your money now and getting your money in the form of a check with Trump's name on it in like a couple months.

The IRS is doing a crappy job of informing the public about this, so do your part and tell your friends/family to check the official site at IRS.gov. If you know someone for whom money's tight, make sure they have visited the site and checked into things. That $1200 may be a joke, but for some people, it's food or rent money.

What you should do if things aren't working on the site:

Got some sort of error message? Told your info isn't in the system? Two things to try:

1. Check back daily. The payments and site data are set up to issue updates every 24 hours at around midnight EST. My understanding is the people involved are actively trying to fill in the gaps, get payments out, and patch bugs in the Get My Payment lookup tool.

2. If you filed returns in both 2018 and 2019 and the site isn't accepting your 2019 information, try your 2018 return information. Some people are reporting their more recent return isn't in the system, but their 2018 information works.

3. If the system isn't recognizing your information, try alternative info to correct for formatting errors. A goon has reported that they finally got their status to open up by basically entering their address as "123 Main", instead of "123 Main Dr.",as it appeared on their tax return. Bear in mind that the IRS is going to be handling all this with a combination of people manually inputting return information and a core database built on assembly code from the mid 60s.

Many of you have already gotten your money. Great.

However, there's an additional, very little publicized deadline that's way more critical for a small number of goons:

If you meet a, b and c below, you will get screwed out of 500$ per dependent child unless you go to the IRS website and fill in some info.

a) You were getting Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or were a Veteran Affairs beneficiary

b) You didn't file a tax return in the last two years

c) You have child dependents

:siren:The initial deadline has passed, but some groups can still put their information in:siren:. If you don't do it, you won't get the money until 2021.

Full information here:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/ssa-rr...e-plus-500-push

Place to enter the information here (read the instructions carefully):
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

Note:
I know some people aren't getting clear responses about their status from the site; sorry, I can't troubleshoot it for you. The info I have is basically limited to what's on the IRS site and what other goons are saying: I'd just be reading it back to you. Check the other parts of the site, and keep trying. Beware of potential scammers on sites that aren't IRS.gov.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Even setting aside the IRS being sabotaged several different ways, business relief is much more straightforward mechanically (in terms of getting money out) than individual taxpayer relief.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've updated the OP with some info on what to do if your information is being rejected from the "Get My Payment" tool. Please bear in mind that this is not official IRS advice, it's just my understanding from talking to other people on the forums. If the site says to do something different, do that instead.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 26, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah I've heard about the zero owed or refunded bug- not sure what to advise people. I'm nervous about telling people to enter the 2018 info, honestly, because a) the system may not want you to do it and b) it might change how much you receive, even potentially giving you an amount that would require future "correction". That's a total guess on my part though, I can't interact with the tool myself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think if you're someone else's dependent, you don't get money, but they may be eligible for an additional amount.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

They're working through them. Bear in mind this is an agency that was already cut to the bone and undergoing a hiring crisis before the pandemic hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/americans-receiving-letters-signed-trump-explaining-stimulus-checks/story?id=70370041

...Jesus. No comment.