Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am excited for you to take this journey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi I'll also be reading this thread.

Personally I tried reading OP like 15 years ago and dropped it after 6 or 8 volumes. I remember absolutely nothing from it, only that I dropped it for not caring much for the story and the art being way too busy.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 23, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Man with Hat posted:

Oh hell yes, I love reading first time reactions about things I love probably more than I love reading things I love haha

I'm gonna be rereading OP with you but for like the eighth time so no first time commentary.

What does this panel say in the original, though?

lol

In my Swedish books Luffy calls her ugly, which to me fits much better as a thing to say about Alvida after her obsession about looks. Rude is such a weird translation to me but is it more accurate?

Wait, this part was in a forest? I thought it was on Alvida's ship? Maybe that was changed in the anime?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wait, this part was in a forest? I thought it was on Alvida's ship? Maybe that was changed in the anime?

It was changed in the anime.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Julias posted:

It was changed in the anime.

Yeah the early anime through the buggy arc changed a bunch of stuff for no reason until the show got popular and the writers decided they didn’t need to “fix” it to make it work.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 23, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Slavish adherence to the source material is as much a mistake as trying to "fix" everything. Different media can and should use different approaches to tell the same story.

e: Also hi OP I love this sort of thing. Bookmarked this thread.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mr. Steak posted:

Speaking of Lady Alvida (Is that her first name, by the way? Perhaps we'll never know),

She was named after a mythical female pirate who only had one name, so it's likely she only has the one like Cher.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man with Hat posted:

What does this panel say in the original, though?

lol

In my Swedish books Luffy calls her ugly, which to me fits much better as a thing to say about Alvida after her obsession about looks. Rude is such a weird translation to me but is it more accurate?

誰だ このイカついおばさん

He *is* calling her rude, but on top of that, the word he used for woman (obasan) implies that she's [literally: old. figuratively: ugly], so it's also directly challenging her vanity. That's a word that can only be polite if you use it to address a clearly elderly woman whose name you don't know. Any other woman would be highly offended to be called this.

And then Coby ups the anti by calling her a ばばあ which is another level higher in the old/ugly hierarchy, lol

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 24, 2020

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Thanks for clarifying! It's been ages since I read it in Swedish and I've always been put-off by how he's not at all referring to her vanity there in the English translation so it's really cool with some clarity. I guess the Swedish one was more adaptive than a pure translation while the english I posted went more literal, although something like "rude hag" seems to me it would have fit better.

Psyched for chapter 3!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Bookmarked for adventure

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Yeah the early anime through the buggy arc changed a bunch of stuff for no reason until the show got popular and the writers decided they didn’t need to “fix” it to make it work.

It was a lot cooler that it was on a boat if I'm gonna be honest

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Slavish adherence to the source material is as much a mistake as trying to "fix" everything. Different media can and should use different approaches to tell the same story.

e: Also hi OP I love this sort of thing. Bookmarked this thread.

Ehhhh some of the filler in the early to mid-anime can be pretty great, it's just during Marineford and afterwards it really goes to poo poo either artificially padding things out with nothing like a cheap Hanna-Barbera cartoon or drastically altering scenes so as to miss the point of the original material looking at you, Hody Jones and Caesar Clown.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not clicking on spoiler tags, but still please try to keep that to a minimum. Seeing them makes me nervous, lol.

Anyway, I'm about to edit my notes into my chapter 3 post right now, but I figured I'd say this first.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

This is a great thread already. Such a trip down the memory lane.

Mr. Steak posted:

誰だ このイカついおばさん

He *is* calling her rude, but on top of that, the word he used for woman (obasan) implies that she's [literally: old. figuratively: ugly], so it's also directly challenging her vanity. That's a word that can only be polite if you use it to address a clearly elderly woman whose name you don't know. Any other woman would be highly offended to be called this.

And then Coby ups the anti by calling her a ばばあ which is another level higher in the old/ugly hierarchy, lol

Also, getting observations like this from the original language is awesome.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CHAPTER 3: INTRODUCING... PIRATE-HUNTER ZORRO

Yes, I’m aware of how his name is written in translations, but it’s obviously a reference to the famous Zorro character (who’s in the public domain anyway!!) so that’s how I’ll write it.

About chapter “covers”: I know Oda eventually starts doing little side-stories in these where they form a continuous story when you put them together (which is an amazing idea!), so I should probably make a habit of commenting on them now.

The first two seem to be focused on showing off the cute cartoony wildlife present in the One Piece world. And I’m fine with that! Give me all the stripey emus and polka-dot sharks you’ve got!

Lmao, this interaction was really good.

~~paraphrased~~ posted:

Coby: He's super scary, so just give up on recruiting him!
Luffy: Well I never said I'm definitely gonna. Only if he's a good dude.
Coby: HE'S A BAD DUDE, THAT'S WHY HE'S LOCKED UP!!
Lol.

Also, Luffy’s willingness to just casually sit in a place like that where he might easily fall and drown... I mean, I’m not surprised, lol. But it’s yet another indication of his thoughtless bravery.

Okay, this is a completely irrelevant comment, but I don't want my reaction to come out of nowhere if it ever happens, so I'll just say it. Luffy is asexual. That’s not a question, just a fact. He’s way too innocent (and stupid) to be interested in that kind of stuff. So if Oda ever writes Luffy showing interest in boobs or whatever, I’m gonna consider it wildly out of character, and I don’t care if he’s the author!

Wait... How do these two have money to buy food? I guess Luffy must have shaken down Alvida's crew for some spending money, haha. I'm sure this won't be the last time I have to hand-wave away the existence of money, because that sort of stuff just gets in the way. Nobody wants to actually care about Luffy's budget. But whenever stuff like this happens, I'll make an effort to explain it with in-universe logic. The only issue will be if there's ever a plot point where they actually go "Oh poo poo, we don't have any money," then I'll be like, you never needed money before! But we'll deal with that when it happens.

Lmfaooo the restaurant scene! God, that was a drat hilarious way to indicate that the town is afraid of Zorro and Morgan. Lmao even thinking about it now in hindsight, I'm still laughing at the thought of all those people just loving flailing all over the room just from hearing the name. Lol. Also let's take a moment to appreciate the height this one dude managed to achieve with his panicking:

Also...

I actually think the first 5 pages of this chapter were the funniest the manga has been so far. I was legit cracking up here.

What do they need those huge cannons for on the marine base? This makes me nervous... Like, the more I think about it, the less sense those make. The base appears to be in the middle of town, at least a couple hundred yards from the coast. So it's hard to imagine those cannons being used to defend against ships on the ocean. But then... what are they supposed to defend from? And there's not just one or two cannons either, there are a shitload all across the roofs. Hmm... Actually, based on the position of the base from where Luffy and Coby docked, and the angling of the cannons, I could actually believe that the town is located at the tip of a peninsula and the cannons actually *are* to defend against ships on the ocean. The reason I'm thinking this is that the cannons are only pointed in two specific directions, it's not random. They're either 45 degrees to the right, or to the left. None of them are pointed towards where, apparently, the ocean should be, if we go by the view from the dock. But if the town is on a peninsula, then maybe the ocean is actually *closer* to where the cannons are pointing on either side, so it makes sense for them to be pointed that way. Or, alternately, I'm way the gently caress overthinking this.

Several questions I had during the chapter:

1)Were they just going to leave Zorro hanging up there to die? That’s such a cruel execution method, holy poo poo!

2) Also, why the hell does the marine corps even want Zorro captured...?? They are explicitly against pirates, and Zorro is explicitly a hunter of pirates. Like, he doesn’t kill indiscriminately, he is clearly a bounty hunter. And those bounties have to be decided and paid for by SOMEONE. Seeing as Zorro’s bounties seem to be mainly pirates, it wouldn’t be too wild to assume that the bounties are set by the marines themselves. So... what the gently caress? Something isn’t adding up here.

Responses after finishing the chapter:

1) Hmm, I'm still not sure about this one, it's a lot more complicated now. There are a couple possibilities. We know that the "crucifixion" isn't meant to be an execution, because Helmeppo wants to do an execution as a separate thing. But I'm not sure whose idea the crucifixion punishment was. Part of the dialogue about the promise between Helmeppo and Zorro made it seem like maybe it was Zorro's idea, and this was basically his dare, like "how about you crucify me outside and if I live for a month, you let me go?" and Helmeppo thought it was funny so he obliged. But the evidence against this theory is the sign about "don't aid criminals" in general, rather than specifying Zorro. Which means the cross-hanging punishment probably isn't unique to him. So I guess it's most likely just a standard punishment, but it still seems extremely fatal! I'm gonna choose to believe that it's normally supposed to be an especially cruel execution, and Helmeppo just wants to make it a public one...?

2) Ohh, I see. He was arrested for an actual thing (cutting a dude’s pet). Okay, that’s actually reasonable, I suppose...
[edit from like 1 panel after I wrote this down] Oh lol, and then Coby points out the exact thing I was concerned about.

Another note that was never addressed in the chapter: Screw dying of hunger, how the flying gently caress has he not died of thirst?? All the days prior to this must have been super loving rainy, lmao. That's the only way I can think to explain it.

Also, I promise I’ll stop talking about this in every single post eventually, but I really can’t get over how polished the pacing feels, still. Especially when it comes to being consistently funny at the same time, it’s just super impressive to me. A lot of manga authors trying to write a comedy-focused shounen struggle really hard, it seems, with leaving themselves enough room for both comedy and plot progression in their chapters, without both just seeming tacked on at the end (see: Fairy Tail). But what Oda pulls off so flawlessly here is the seamless fusion between plot and comedy, where we pretty much can’t draw the line between the two. It’s not “this line is for the plot, this next line is for laughs”, etc. I’m not saying there aren’t lines where the only point of them is to be funny, mind you, but the punchlines have always been directly relevant to the plot, or at the very least closely tied to Luffy’s personality. And besides the humor, the plot just keeps on hitting story beats in practically every page, and there’s barely any wasted time whatsoever. Like for example, when they reach the marine base, and then literally after like 5 panels of musing, they find Zorro. Sure it’s contrived that they found him so fast, but the point of the story Oda wanted to tell wasn’t about finding Zorro. So who cares about a little bit of plot contrivance? I’m saying this for the upteenth time, but Oda really really knows exactly what he wants to tell and how he wants to tell it. So yeah, this is a thing that I expect will be a constant throughout the series, and it’ll get really loving old to rant about this in every chapter, so you can just assume I’m always thinking this, going forward.

How did she expect to get back out???

Ugh holy poo poo Oda made Helmeppo so goddamn despicable right away. I mean come on, a cute girl talks about how she worked super hard to make some onigiri and then this dude calls it poo poo and stomps on it? Pretty effective way to make me hate a guy in just 2 pages. That’s just one step below blatantly kicking a dog.

Honestly, the extent to which this scene hammers home Helmeppo’s heinousness is *so* exaggerated that it's hard to take it seriously. Like, in the span of just a few pages, we’re reminded three whole times that the little girl worked super hard on the onigiri. It's kind of, like... I'm tempted to give Oda the benefit of the doubt and say he did it intentionally as a subtle gag, because it's just THAT blatantly melodramatic. And they practically repeat each other word for word, too. Coby is like "That's so terrible. That little girl worked so hard to make the onigiri" and then maybe 3 panels later the girl is like "You're so terrible. I worked so hard to make that onigiri." And then when the girl gets thrown out, Coby is like "That dude was so terrible." Lol, like, it's so blatant I just have to laugh. Plus, Helmeppo is just... way the gently caress too extra. Oda was seriously like “See this guy? You hate him now.” It's not that I think it's a bad scene, but it definitely repeats itself WAY more than I'd expect based on my earlier ranting about the excellent pacing. It almost feels "out of character" for Oda, which is why I'm justifying it by saying it might have been an intentional joke.

This is some primo avatar material right here.

And that scene of Zorro eating the mud-covered rice is so iconic! That's a great moment, and definitely the moment when Luffy decided to recruit Zorro in earnest. Well, maybe that was cemented once he learned the reason for Zorro's imprisonment, but it certainly put him close to the edge.

(In response to Luffy’s punch) Okay, loving thank you!!! As soon as he was introduced I was like when is Luffy gonna punch the poo poo out of this rear end in a top hat?? Man, even though I totally saw it coming, that’s really drat satisfying. This guy can eat all of the poo poo.

Alright, I’m absolutely going to read the next chapter immediately after I’m done editing this post, because holy poo poo I need to read more. The chapters are getting shorter, and so my posts are as well (erm... I think? Maybe this ended up just as long as chapter 2 in the end, lmao). But I think I'd still prefer to post at a rate of 1 chapter at a time. Even if I end up posting several in a single day because I just can't stop reading, I find writing these posts to be really fun so far, and it'd be sort of a waste to combine chapters, I think. I've got to commit to this! No cheating allowed! Though of course if I ever feel like I'm getting burnt out, I won't force myself to stick to the format if it'll make my reading experience less enjoyable. I'd definitely combine chapters or even whole volumes if it got to that point. But for now, I'm having plenty of fun on a single-chapter basis, so that's how it'll be.

As for the rating, hmm.... The aforementioned Helmeppo scene weirdness sort of prevents the chapter from surpassing chapter 2, I think. But there were moments that were also so much better, like the comedy in the first half hit SO effectively. And of course this chapter is much more plot-important just because I know Zorro becomes a huge character in the series, but I shouldn't let that affect my judgement. I'm gonna go with... +0.5 for this one.

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 24, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's actually "Zoro" because that's how Oda writes it in English.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

It's actually "Zoro" because that's how Oda writes it in English.

Oh poo poo, really? Well I've already committed, so I guess I'm just gonna be making fans' eyes twitch dozens of times per post every time they see his name written out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya he's not based on Zorro he's based on a real pirate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_l%27Olonnais

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Mr. Steak posted:

Oh poo poo, really? Well I've already committed, so I guess I'm just gonna be making fans' eyes twitch dozens of times per post every time they see his name written out.

You're so terrible. Oda worked really hard to make that character name...

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tir McDohl posted:

You're so terrible. Oda worked really hard to make that character name...

:doh:

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
Gonna be honest, if you keep using Zorro, I'm gonna have to bow out of reading this thread. It's almost as bad as Zolo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Steak posted:

Another note that was never addressed in the chapter: Screw dying of hunger, how the flying gently caress has he not died of thirst?? All the days prior to this must have been super loving rainy, lmao. That's the only way I can think to explain it.

Cartoon logic :zoro:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
(Re: Helmeppo) Yeah, Oda is really good at 3 things: Creating hateable villains, getting them hilariously pissed off at Luffy, and then kicking the poo poo out of them in the most satisfying way possible. It’s great and only gets better from here.

Also, Zolllorro would be the best character in the entire manga if [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted] didn’t exist.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

More specifically, One Piece logic. The physics of this world bend to willpower, spirit and romance. You can become an absurd character right out of an old sailor's tale just through sheer force of will.

Zoro's such a stubborn guy that he could probably go half a year without drinking. It would be agonizing and take a serious toll on him, but as long as he stayed determined to live he'd probably manage it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 24, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

naginalJJ posted:

Gonna be honest, if you keep using Zorro, I'm gonna have to bow out of reading this thread. It's almost as bad as Zolo.

Who cares? Just ignore one of the Rs, this is a fantastic thread.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

naginalJJ posted:

Lol this is really petty, but do what you want I guess.

Mr. Steak, you're putting so much effort into this! It's going to be a lot of fun following your adventures reading One Piece.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if i can read zolo for 1000 chapters i can read zorro for the same amount of posts

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

scary ghost dog posted:

if i can read zolo for 1000 chapters i can read zorro for the same amount of posts

Actually from now on please refer to him as Lolonoa Zollo, otherwise I will have to leave

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kild posted:

Ya he's not based on Zorro he's based on a real pirate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_l%27Olonnais

That's just argument it should be Çol'o. Can we agree to call him that?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Zoro, Zorro, Roronoa, l'Olonnais, whatever. He's no Quwrof Wrlccywrlir.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo im disappointed with myself for not making a joke in the last paragraph about how "Then again, Alvida is the biggest character by far"

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerraS posted:

Zoro, Zorro, Roronoa, l'Olonnais, whatever. He's no Quwrof Wrlccywrlir.

i hate that i know exactly who you're referring to. lmao

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Libra posted:

More specifically, One Piece logic. The physics of this world bend to willpower, spirit and romance. You can become an absurd character right out of an old sailor's tale just through sheer force of will.

Zoro's such a stubborn guy that he could probably go half a year without drinking. It would be agonizing and take a serious toll on him, but as long as he stayed determined to live he'd probably manage it.

I understand this isn't a plot spoiler, but don't spoil character traits that we learn over time either!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only acceptable names are the weird bootleg ones that come from the garbled Mandarin version, so welcome to the story Rorronoa Sauron.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Julias posted:

I understand this isn't a plot spoiler, but don't spoil character traits that we learn over time either!

Yikes whoops yeah okay! It's really more difficult than I thought it would be to comment in a 100% unspoilery way, but this thread is pretty fun to watch and really tempting to engage with.
I'll have to restrain myself or be super careful.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh I'm not talking about filler that only exists because Toei wants to pump out new content every week and chooses BS their way round the fact that properly paced weekly anime goes through plot faster than weekly manga. There's no excuse for that filler. These days they're one of the last holdouts on that terrible old model.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
OP is undoubtedly going to be spoiled majorly because if the MHA and OPM threads (and this thread already) are any indication goons have absolutely 0 self control

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

OP is undoubtedly going to be spoiled majorly because if the MHA and OPM threads (and this thread already) are any indication goons have absolutely 0 self control

I believe!!

Also, Libra's post wasn't even that bad (yeah I unfortunately read it before the spoiler tags). Like, don't post that sort of thing again, but it really wasn't the end of the world. Since I'm already "spoiled" on the fact that Zorro becomes a main cast member for the entire series, Libra's post didn't spoil anything about his plot-importance, which would ordinarily be an issue with that kind of comment. And I already saw firsthand in this chapter how Zoro's determination to live can keep him alive in dire situations. Heck, he basically says it outright. The only issue with Libra's post was that it came from a future perspective on Zorro's character, but in this specific instance it was extremely minor. So it's actually sort of a good thing it happened now so that we can reinforce the spoiler policy before it happens with something worse.

The only way I can imagine being majorly (or even minorly) spoiled here is if someone is malicious and posts spoilers on purpose just to ruin everyone's fun. I trust in people not to do that though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CharlestonJew posted:

Hey man, back during Elentor's LP of FF7, the thread managed to avoid spoiling that Aeris dies for at least one person in the thread. If that can happen, this thread can remain pure as well!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh I'm not talking about filler that only exists because Toei wants to pump out new content every week and chooses BS their way round the fact that properly paced weekly anime goes through plot faster than weekly manga. There's no excuse for that filler. These days they're one of the last holdouts on that terrible old model.

They somehow manage to do it worse than the other series with that model too. I’m desperately hoping that when the anime finally wraps up we’ll get a new series with better animation and like a quarter of the total episode count.