Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
You mentioned that he killed someone's pet. I'm not sure how clear it is in the chapter, but the wolf he killed was actually Helmeppo's.

Oda definitely isn't the most subtle early on, like you mentioned with Helmeppo. I think the one point that really makes it worse is Coby who is very clearly acting as an audience surrogate, whom Oda feels should hammer in certain points.

Luffy mentions he wants to be the Pirate King? Coby is here to tell him how dangerous that is. Rika is upset her riceballs got crushed? Coby is here to reiterate how bad that is. All of the people in the restaurant were freaking out about the marines? Coby is here to say "GEE WIZ LUFFY, IT SURE IS ODD THAT PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF THE GOOD GUYS."

It's not the most graceful method of storytelling but it's only here to ease you into the story up-front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
riceballs made with sugar sounds pretty good.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

riceballs made with sugar sounds pretty good.

The One Piece dub by 4kids turned them into cookies made with salt.

Props to 4kids, that's not a terrible edit for kids who have no idea what rice balls are.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Surely a better edit than when 4kids turned riceballs in the Pokémon anime into donuts, sandwiches and such. :D

Anyway, just chiming in to say that I love the idea of this thread, and I'm definitely gonna read along to see all the reactions as they happen. Hell, I'll probably start re-reading the chapters alongside this! What else am I gonna do in quarantine times...

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Interesting to read your thoughts! I actually restarted reading One Piece myself a few months ago (last time I read was in 2012 or so and I don't think I fully caught up then either) and it was a great ride. Love the notes on translation discrepancies/curiosities too. Going back to early OP art is always very interesting to me, there are so many small stylistic changes throughout the series that you don't notice until you actually compare newer art to the older.

Slightly off-topic, but I'd love to hear if anyone knows other decent blind reads for OP (or I guess other big series too). I quite enjoy reading these, but they're not very easy to find with googling and most results end up being reaction video type things which A: Not exactly what I'm looking for and B: I don't really enjoy video takes for a variety of reasons, not the least that they're generally super long. I prefer reading written reactions myself, at least for this kind of stuff. I'm enjoying a decent blind-read blog for MHA, but it's the only one I've found.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Interesting to read your thoughts! I actually restarted reading One Piece myself a few months ago (last time I read was in 2012 or so and I don't think I fully caught up then either) and it was a great ride. Love the notes on translation discrepancies/curiosities too. Going back to early OP art is always very interesting to me, there are so many small stylistic changes throughout the series that you don't notice until you actually compare newer art to the older.

Slightly off-topic, but I'd love to hear if anyone knows other decent blind reads for OP (or I guess other big series too). I quite enjoy reading these, but they're not very easy to find with googling and most results end up being reaction video type things which A: Not exactly what I'm looking for and B: I don't really enjoy video takes for a variety of reasons, not the least that they're generally super long. I prefer reading written reactions myself, at least for this kind of stuff. I'm enjoying a decent blind-read blog for MHA, but it's the only one I've found.

CodfishCartographer had one that was in the previous One Piece thread. Don't think they went in as blind as the OP but it was still a good read!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Insurrectionist posted:

I did reaction posting in the old manga thread - starting from chapter 63 and going up to what was recent at the time. Commenting a few sentences on most chapters. Contains spoilers, obviously.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
It's going to very much bust your balls to write so much about each chapter, OP. Very considerate of you, nonetheless.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

just bob posted:

It's going to very much bust your balls to write so much about each chapter, OP. Very considerate of you, nonetheless.

I'm definitely not aiming to write so much!! Haha. My notes for chapter 3 were considerably shorter than usual, which made sense to me because the chapter was shorter, and like, that was perfectly fine with me. But then during the actual post-making process, I ended up writing that entire tangent about the cannons from scratch [edit: actually, I'd written an offhand note about it], expanded a single note about Helmeppo into that huge paragraph, wrote like a billion words about the intricacies of the cross-hanging execution method, etc etc and before i knew it, i'd written a fuckload.

Of course it's fun when I end up having so much to say, but I *very much* don't expect this length of post to be the norm

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 25, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, the thing about one piece is that the world is so consistent and interconnected that you're going to fairly often be noticing things that tie into the greater world and characters. It's this that has made one piece such a juggernaut, I honestly can't think of such a wide-spanning series that keeps things relevant throughout most of its run like one piece does. So I think at certain points your posts will get even longer as you start to speculate wildly just like us in the OP thread did as new chapters came out during certain arcs. :v:

I think 5 chapter chunks might work smoother than single chapter anaylses, but obviously do whatever you feel most comfortable doing.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, by the way...

Scratchman Apoo posted:

You mentioned that he killed someone's pet. I'm not sure how clear it is in the chapter, but the wolf he killed was actually Helmeppo's.

Yeah, it's made very clear that it was Helmeppo's wolf and he'd carelessly let it loose in the town. By "someone's pet" I basically meant in the general sense of "this is an actual crime".

and

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Oda definitely isn't the most subtle early on, like you mentioned with Helmeppo. I think the one point that really makes it worse is Coby who is very clearly acting as an audience surrogate, whom Oda feels should hammer in certain points.

Luffy mentions he wants to be the Pirate King? Coby is here to tell him how dangerous that is. Rika is upset her riceballs got crushed? Coby is here to reiterate how bad that is. All of the people in the restaurant were freaking out about the marines? Coby is here to say "GEE WIZ LUFFY, IT SURE IS ODD THAT PEOPLE ARE AFRAID OF THE GOOD GUYS."

It's not the most graceful method of storytelling but it's only here to ease you into the story up-front.

To be honest, I really didn't get this same feeling from those other Coby examples at all! His rant about how dangerous Luffy's dream is was important first-time exposition about the "one piece" and general conditions of the world. It definitely didn't feel extra. Like, sure it could have been introduced in a more graceful way, but I thought it was perfectly fine. And immediately after the restaurant scene, I wasn't totally sure that "Morgan Taisa" was on the navy's side (probably because I didn't think about it all that much), so Coby's commentary was quite necessary to establish that fact for me, and hence establish the mystery of why the town is scared of him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

His ranks captain in english (Yes that makes him Captain Morgan.)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Hello Mr. Steak, I will be reading your thread but most likely I will not be commenting because I have read and re-read (and watched) One Piece so many times over the past 15+ years I have been following it that I have lost count of exactly how many times, so I wouldn't want to spoil anything.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
This thread is very cool and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Please, I beg of you, use Zoro. The other spelling inflicts tangible mental damage on me every time.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr. Steak should randomly swap between Zoro, Zolo, and Zorro multiple times in the same post.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roth posted:

Mr. Steak should randomly swap between Zoro, Zolo, and Zorro multiple times in the same post.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[Alright, sorry for taking so long to start this chapter, even though I said I'd read it immediately. I ended up taking a nap and poo poo.]

CHAPTER 4: NAVY CAPTAIN “AXE-HAND MORGAN”

What's this? No chapter cover? And right after I decided to dedicate a section of commentary to them! Boo!

Okay, so I'll just put my minimally edited chapter notes first, and then talk more about Morgon in depth at the end. I feel like that'll work best for this chapter.

Cool, we got a name for the little girl. Rika’s a champ!

Oh my god, for a moment I thought Morgan was talking about human sacrifices!! But he’s just talking about, like, monetary tribute. [one second later] Oh wait, he actually wasn’t even talking about money, but simply their reverence.

Hmm, how did Luffy know that Zorro uses a sword...? I don’t think I remember Coby or anyone actually mention that fact specifically. Maybe it's because that sort of cloth chest-protector garment thing is traditionally worn by swordsmen? I really don't know, this is just a random guess.

Oh lol his hand is actually a literal axe. From the chapter title I was thinking more along the lines of... his hand is so strong that it cuts *like* an axe. But nah.

(At Morgon punching Helmeppo) Oh ok, good. I was thinking it made no sense for Morgon to just like, be at Helmeppo’s beck and call like Helmeppo seemed to be implying. He’s much more intimidating this way.

A moment of silence please, for that noble lieutenant who refused to murder a child even at the cost of his own life. o7
[post-chapter addition] I'm not gonna get super deep into this, cuz I'm like... *so* not well-educated on history at all, but this could be interpreted really interestingly as a commentary on "following orders", considering Japan's relationship with Nazism in the past.

Lmao it was obviously building up for this to happen, but it’s still hilarious.

Damnit, during the scene where Morgan’s trying to get people to kill that little girl, I was hoping Helmeppo would realize how evil his father is, and then end up helping the protagonists against him, thereby redeeming himself in dramatic tearjerking fashion. But... he seems to have snapped right back to just “Kill Luffy!!”

(In response to Coby getting loving SHOT)
No *loving* way did that actually happen. They didn’t just kill him off, that would be way the gently caress too dark. And I was *just* about to write a whole thing about how I’m so proud of him for risking his life for his honor like this! Holy poo poo, he’s changed so much in the span of like 2 chapters. I’m like.... literally shocked at how emotionally invested I am in this character.

[Also, how did I entirely forget about his existence from when I read this the first time (and evidently hardly paid attention, lmao)? I mean, this *was* all the way back in highschool and long before I was medicated for my ADD, so I'm not all that surprised that I wasn't incredibly focused on the plot details enough to remember them 6-ish years later.]

Also, this reminds me a lot of a certain moment in Souboutei Must Be Destroyed (a manga I translate), which I don’t really want to elaborate on because of spoilers, but if you’ve read it you probably know what I’m talking about. I kind of wonder if Fujita wasn’t partly inspired by Oda in that scene...? But that’s a stretch to be honest, cuz this is just one moment out of like a billion moments in One Piece. But like, the reason I'm thinking this is, it’s not just that it’s a scene of “person being shot” but the whole setup of the moment feels similar too. Except, the tone of Souboutei is much darker than this, so it was a lot more believable that the character would actually be killed off. Here, I’m not even believing Coby’s dead for a second. (Or at least, that’s what I’m hoping!!!)

Oh wait, that’s where the chapter ends? drat that’s a really weird stopping point. Haha man, y’all were right about getting sucked in for several chapters at once. Though luckily for me (and unluckily for you guys), I’m good at pacing myself. Well, also I have some other stuff to do tonight first, otherwise I’d totally post another update in a few hours lol. If this chapter is any indication, then the posts actually *will* start getting more manageable starting now.

But how could Oda just leave Coby's life hanging in the balance at the end of the chapter like this? That's so rude?? Like, I know he's definitely not dead because this is One Piece and people aren't gonna like, actually die in this series! At least not protagonists. But still! Rude, Oda. Very rude.

Alright, so let's talk about Morgon. I'm not sure exactly how much I have to say about him, but he's super interesting so I'll just start writing and we'll see what happens.

I guess I'll start with that "thought exercise" I mentioned in the chapter 2 post about villains. That's as good a place to start as any, and in the case of Morgon, I feel like his characterization is especially interesting in that regard. Because his characteristic vice seems to be "obsession with rank". Which is a much more notably Japanese-centric vice than the "vanity" and more generalized "pride" from the previous two villains. Like, again, I really can't claim to know much about history, and I'm not even that well-versed in Japanese culture if I'm being completely honest. But just based on my meagre understanding cultivated by all the media I consume, military rank was of vital importance to people's lives in Japan up until the end of WW2 when they essentially demilitarized. Like, Morgon's line about how "titles are everything in this world" wouldn't even have been an exaggeration back then. And not just the military either, one of the defining characteristics of all Japanese culture throughout their history up to and including the present day (again, by my layman's understanding) has been the preeminence of social status in practically all aspects of life. Though in recent times, those customs have been challenged more and more, they're still very much present in a lot of ways. So I find it super interesting that this first major, multi-chapter villain is portrayed as the embodiment of that "vice". These themes, I suspect, would hit much closer to home for the Japanese audience than a Western one.

I also love how "on the nose" Oda was with Morgan's dialogue. Like, I know that the phrase "on the nose" is generally used negatively, to mean that something wasn't as subtle as it could be, or whatever. And yeah, I might use it like that sometimes too, but in general I tend to be an outlier in these situations because most of the time I actually frickin' love when stuff is super "on the nose" like this. What I mean by that is like... Morgon's very first line of "I am... 偉い" sums up his entire character, doesn't it? I'm not exactly sure how to translate it, because that specific word he repeats about himself has particular connotations that don't have a direct English equivalent, but it concerns being of a high social rank. So it's extremely on the nose, and also an extremely loving weird thing to just randomly say, lol. So I actually laughed when I first read that scene cuz I was like, this guy is so exaggeratedly dramatic about himself. He's just randomly stating how influential he is. And then it continues being "on the nose" later when he starts ranting about how rank is so important, and how he's so amazing because of his rank. And some people might find that ham-fisted, and maybe it is, but I'm the kind of guy who can appreciate a little ham in his fist sometimes, ya know.

....erm, wait, that sounded a little dirty... Scratch that last part.

Another great part of Morgon's introduction here is that despite my first impression being laughter at how melodramatic he was being, he managed to quickly induce legit fear in me. Or, well, maybe I wouldn't go *that* far, but he's absolutely a legit threat, unlike the previous two villains who were basically just punching bags. His insistence on killing the little girl for being a traitor, and pretty much that entire scene, was so menacingly just... pure evil. Like, more so than just showing him randomly kick a dog, this was like, I got a true impression of evil from this guy. I am genuinely loving the aesthetic of this antagonist so far, and I can't wait to see him and Luffy face off head to head.

Rating time:
Definitely my favorite chapter so far, due entirely to Morgon being a super engaging antagonist. +4.0

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm with you re: 'on the nose' writing, at least in one piece's case. something that really grabbed me with one piece--and something i still really value in it today--is how earnest and straightforward it is in the emotions it wants you to be feeling at any particular time. excitement, sorrow, joy, laughter, it's all constantly dialed up to 11 and it's hard to achieve that if the author is too concerned with subtlty. goes back to what you've been saying earlier about oda's confidence in his writing

also like, comic for five year olds. gotta make sure your target audience can follow what you're writing!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The axe handle poking through Morgan's arm is still such a mega-nasty detail. I hate to view him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Most translations just have Morgan state for his first line that he is "Great". Given the statue he was going to make of himself and his utter belief in his superiority, I would put his vice as Pride if I had to pick one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Steak posted:

[Alright, sorry for taking so long to start this chapter, even though I said I'd read it immediately. I ended up taking a nap and poo poo.]

No need to apologize. Feel free to pace yourself.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Silver2195 posted:

No need to apologize. Feel free to pace yourself.

Yeah, take your time. Don't let this turn into a chore or you'll burn out.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
*snip*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 25, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i highly recommend the anime on psychadelics once you're further through

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
About your 'on the nose' observation: remember that One Piece is a manga for adolescent boys. It is a fantastic and exceptionally well crafted work but it never pushes the boundaries of its genre or target audience. Basically this is THE textbook shounen manga.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jose posted:

i highly recommend the anime on psychadelics once you're further through

i recommend the manga on psychedelics, frankly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

scary ghost dog posted:

i recommend the manga on psychedelics, frankly

only manga i ever did this with was coming home and trying to read lone wolf and cub while making GBS threads lmao. did not go well

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I didn't want to get into it at the risk of spoiling things, but Morgan is the reason I can forgive Helmeppo for being such a blah antagonist. Nothing this early on gets me quite like Helmeppo mentioning that a little girl disobeyed him, and before he can finish saying anything, Morgan's response is "So you killed her, right?" Even his lovely little son has to double back and say "Uh, I mean she's a little girl bro."

Also, regarding that talk about the Marine base having its cannons posted towards the town instead of towards the sea,. I would argue that makes a lot of sense with Captain Morgan's personality. For all this talk about Captain Morgan being amazing and a hard-working Marine, all of his screen-time has been devoted to metaphorically jerking himself off and talking about how incredible he is. Instead of focusing on what the Marines are supposed to be doing (protecting the citizens), he instead focuses on pointing the cannons into the town to make sure they know who's in charge. He's so deluded with his own superiority that he'll literally hold his public up at gunpoint to say the same.

So all that talk about the base's design wasn't for nothing! You were noticing a lot of careful detail Oda put in Shells Town's military base. Oda definitely makes mistakes through the series, but he's typically not one to be careless with how he designs things.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A more casually organized post today.
I really should be working on other things, but I couldn't wait any longer to read another chapter lol. And it didn't spur any huge paragraph-spanning thoughts, so that's convenient lol. I've basically scrabbled together some notes for you here. Probably (hopefully?) this is what most of my posts will be looking like from now on, with the exception of every so often when there's something I need to rant about for 200 words.

CHAPTER 5: In which the manga suddenly stops being a comedy

What the actual gently caress is that cover image...? Lmao. So, I guess normal dolphins exist in this world. Well, "normal" looking but also they drink smoothies.

Lol this is such a Luffy thing to say. Like, you’re not supposed to take their commands literally when people are like “Stop! Don’t move!” It’s clear that they don’t expect you to listen since you’ve been running away. So the way he answers entirely straight-faced like “I don’t wanna”... Lol.

I love how Zorro got to play audience surrogate for second when he was like "Oh phew, you were alive" at Coby.

You know, I totally forgot to consider that Zorro never knew Luffy punched Helmeppo. Because obviously, he wasn't there to see it. But I didn't think about how he might react to learning Luffy's reasoning behind it. That’s totally a big part of what swayed him to join Luffy’s crew in the end, I bet.

Alright, so drat, I'm really upset that Kuina is already dead, because she was really cool! She was so savage to the boys in that introductory scene, lol. And also, *that* scene was very good and actually made me feel some emotions for her, which is fairly impressive after only like 5 pages.

By the way, Oda says trans rights?
(Lol jk, there are plenty of reasons to wish you were born a man without being trans. But also, this makes it really easy to headcanon Kuina as a closeted trans boy.)

[note: I've been told in extremely vague terms to expect a small amount of problematic trans stuff in this series, so I'm not gonna assume Oda was going for a trans thing here.]

~~paraphrased~~ posted:

Let's make a promise! One of us will definitely become the world's strongest swordsman (swordswoman?) sword master!
[my live response to this panel]
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. This means she died. gently caress. She definitely died. I suspected it before but this confirms it. gently caress.
[and then]
Wait what? She fell down the stairs? Ok no, her father is weirdly okay with this, there’s more to it. Maybe it won’t come up again for another 500 chapters, but there’s some conspiracy poo poo going on here.

Lmfao Morgan’s face. Suddenly he’s not so scary anymore.

~~paraphrased~~ posted:

Zorro: Luffy, what in the gently caress even are you?
Luffy: I'm the guy who's gonna become pirate king!
Omg Luffy, like, it’s a badass line and all, but that’s NOT WHAT HE MEANT. This is *not* the time to be coy about the fact that you literally have superpowers.

That's all my notes. Now I just want to dump a couple post-chapter thoughts about the flashback and stuff.

So I already knew Zorro uses a (semi-nonsensical) three-sword technique from my basic One Piece knowledge, but the reveal that he's metaphorically taking on Kuina's spirit in the form of adding her sword to his style... drat that's so awesome! I'm kind of reminded about my commentary regarding Luffy's scar, and how it's a constant visual reminder of his entire motivation. Like, the swords won't necessarily be a part of Zorro's visual design all the time, but they'll definitely be a constant presence whenever he's in combat, and reminding us about his motivations in the exact same way as Luffy's scar. Or, well, I suppose strictly speaking Luffy's scar doesn't directly relate to his motivations, just his determination to reach his goal. But anyway, this paragraph is supposed to be about Zorro, and you know what I meant.

I really like how Zorro's motivation was established here, in general. It's obviously not, like, a groundbreaking or totally nuanced backstory, but it works really well. And it was decently emotionally effective. A bunch of commenters have been pointing out that, yes, One Piece is ultimately a comic targeted at young boys, so stuff isn't going to be incredibly groundbreaking, and making me think about the intricacies of life in every chapter. But, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but that's not a problem at all. Ostensibly that's the case for all shounen manga, but for One Piece in particular I can easily believe that Oda has no intention of pushing boundaries or anything like that. Like, there are dozens of people online who've expressed this exact sentiment way way more eloquently than I'm about to, but children's media is very much not limited to "juvenile" stories. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, lol, but just to put my general opinion out there, on the record. There's just something really special, in my eyes, about putting a lot of work and dedication into writing stories for children. It's not like the creators of children's media are just writing stuff half-assed because "eh, my audience is kids and they won't care." Or at least, the creators of good ones aren't, heh. Oda, for example, isn't just writing a story suitable for kids, he's also writing a story that *he* loves, as his current adult self. And the fusion of those things is what gives children's media the unique potential that it has.

Alright, rant over. Just one quick note on language which I was thinking about during the chapter.

I can't even imagine how scanlators or official translators attempted to translate the conversation in chapter 4 between Luffy and Zorro about his sword(s). Like, here's the thing. Plurals are optional in Japanese, and almost *never* used for inanimate objects. So it came off as completely natural that Luffy was asking "Where's your sword" and Zorro replied about (unbeknownst to us) his multiple swords, without actually correcting Luffy. Because Luffy never needed to specify that he was talking about a singular sword in the first place. Just, god that must have been a headache to translate. And don't even get me started on translating it weekly, before actually knowing that Zorro uses multiple swords! Oh my god, that's a nightmare. I don't believe anybody was actually translating One Piece weekly back then, but just the thought is making me break out in a cold sweat.

Rating time!
Very very good. I'm just gonna downgrade it ever so slightly from last chapter because I was super into Morgan's intro just a tad bit more than this (still very cool) flashback scene. +3.5

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ah, yes, Kuina.

Died in valiant battle against the stairs.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

*snip*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
omg, that scared me. i checked thread literally like 1 minute after that was snipped.

come on guys, dont make me have to be nervous

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

First OP for the One Piece anime, don't look at this Mr. Steak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdgYYb8uT-Y

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 25, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

....maybe not the best idea to link the anime OP, which show's what's to come in the manga, in a thread that's a blind read through of the manga, especially unmarked.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'll listen to it though

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
something something YUME OOOOO KAKIATSUMEEEE

lol i've heard this bit before. it must be pretty famous

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mr. Steak posted:

i'll listen to it though

It's a good song- I like a large portion of the early OP OPs. And yeah the first OP is actually iconic at this point.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like when he says (based on my hearing) "sore de you wanna be my frerrrndd" haha

(also yeah i listened to it like 5 times)

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Pokketo no coin, soreto YOU WANNA BE MY FRIEND? We are, we are, on the cruise!...WE ARE

Man, you won't be able to watch the 1st opening with no spoilers until like volume 11.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Here's a safer link that just has a picture of Luffy instead of the opening itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHhNTt3oxtY

Also, the 1st ending called Memories has a special place in my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu-o16qJ-DQ

No spoilers in the video whatsoever! It's just a video with lyrics over stock Powerpoint backgrounds. Safe viewing.

That thing with Morgan losing his cool is also something I love about Oda. At no point does he ever seem to have a character who is off limits in terms of being absurd or silly in some capacity. Someone as cruel and brutal as Captain Morgan is still able to face fault and go teary-eyed when someone wrecks his precious statue. The same thing happened with Alvida who is portrayed as particularly serious up until Luffy calls her a tough old biddy.

Something I forgot about last chapter is a very Luffy moment, where after he breaks the statue of Morgan, he offers a sincere "Oops, sorry about that." Luffy has some slight manners, which makes whenever he does something really rude or abrasive that much funnier. He offers some form of apology that's way too little way too late. It's the best.