Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Pulling the Delta Green discussion over here since I can't find a Cthulhu thread and I think it's more in line with the stated purpose of this thread.

The problem with DG isn't that you're playing cops -- make your own call on whether you want that campaign, we've all played evil people. The problem is that it explicitly validates the thin blue line myth. Namely: law enforcement officials are always in terrible danger that only law enforcement officials can understand, and breaking the law is justified in order to protect civilians. In fact, killing civilians by mistake is justified in order to protect civilians in general. You gotta burn the village to save it.

Running in the Cowboy era doesn't really fix that problem, because then you're just playing one of those constitutional sheriffs who believes that the elected government has been corrupted and it's the duty of the local sheriff to protect the Constitution. And once again, in the fiction, you are absolutely correct to believe that.

You can run a DG campaign without buying into that myth but you need to put some effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Doh, thanks. I missed the whole thread.

And you’re right, that’s how you have to play it.