Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the Ace of Choco Pro?
Akki
Mei-chan
Sakura-san
Anton
Chris Brookes until literally anyone on this show beats him
Yunamon
View Results

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
AEW stands for "Anton Eats Wchocolate" its official

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Most of Gatoh Move are; Mei is incredibly good no matter if she's going comedy matches against Antonio Honda on a Gatoh Move show, or teaming with Meiko Satomura on a Sendai Girls show. There are exceptions obviously but Emi is clearly an incredibly good trainer, both in terms of training new wrestlers and also helping people improve.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Sadly Kota Ibushi has never worked Gatoh Move - he did work an Emi Sakura-era Ice Ribbon show but that was in Korakuen and he pops up on some random Joshi shows in the undercard around that time.

J-Ro posted:

Since the precedent is already there, IWTV should approach Emi. Like a Saturday morning block with Cheerful Wrestling Show and CHIKARA.

Fite TV got there first, I'm afraid.

They've also got this new NO PAY WALL initiative so they've closed their pivot share service and are instead going to focus on more live content on YouTube (to get that Superchat money and to grow the audience) plus making stuff available for free on things like Fite. Works for everyone: they aren't behind some pay wall plus I assume are getting paid; while Fite gets some unique fresh content during a pandemic.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

it happened around five hours ago

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

So Ichigaya Chocolate Square used to be a dentists waiting room apparently; and then something led to it becoming a venue that Emi Sakura uses regularly for training and for very small shows. Its not a new thing; when Emi Sakura launched Ice Ribbon it was called the Itigaya Ice Box and they used it very regularly until 2009 until the purpose-built Ice Ribbon dojo was opened and then when she left Ice Ribbon to form Gatoh Move they went back to their roots and changed the name because, well, they didn't really want to reference Ice Ribbon with their new promotion. I've read that Emi lives very close to it and I imagine that with a promotion the size of Gatoh Move Akki may well live with her or someone else involved with the promotion (and who knows about Mei; she's always around though so it may well be a gang of three thing) but that could be wrong. For a lot of the others Gatoh Move is 100% a part-time thing and they have real jobs as well - for example Lulu Pencil is a legit freelance writer and she's written for IGN Japan a fair few times as an example.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Mei is apparently from Kyoto (at least that's what Sendai Girls announce for her and what cagematch says and I don't get why that's something you'd lie about) so unless she's earning a lot of money from the wrestling thing (she is a full time wrestler; works all over the place and is very well regarded) it'd make sense if Emi is putting her up.

Pretty sure proximity is a reason for why they're booking the Gatoh Move wrestlers they are: it might also be a thing of spreading dates out a little bit and perhaps prioritising people that could do with the bookings more: RinRin worked the first show but none since, Lulu only worked a couple of shows but some other people are working a lot more regularly than that while the outside people are 100% either Emi's pals (that's why Anton is on these shows; Masahiro Takanashi would also be all over them if he wasn't injured; Chris Brookes might count in this category as well since he seems to do the things because he enjoys doing them and they all like him) or outside talent that Emi has met over the years to give Akki some bucket list matches - how many people have wrestled both Minoru Suzuki and Masato Tanaka?

One story that people might like that's relevant to this thread about Mei. She worked Pro Wrestling EVE in London last November (I was there live, was a small round robin tournament that involved working four matches in two days wrestled a singles match against Jazz in what will be the most random match I probably will ever see) because Emi has connections with them and semi-regularly works there. Whenever a Gatoh Move wrestler works internationally she tends to go with them because she feels responsible for them but she couldn't do that this time because, well, she was working for some random obscure American promotion that they've kindly started promoting on their shows so she sent Lulu Pencil instead (and they ended up booking an unannounced Mei-Lulu match on the finals show it ruled). EVE run a venue that's a night club that does lots of burlesque shows so they typically have a performance before the main event of their shows which is often, well, rather risqué to put it mildly and Emi asked them if they could possibly put on some slightly less extreme performances because she didn't know if Mei would like it. Nice little story I think; I think it shows how much Emi seems to look out for her people.

Oh also the rankings are out:

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1257671485201637376?s=20

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

On that subject THE RANKINGS ARE OUT

https://twitter.com/misterhakusan/status/1260570699510546438?s=20

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Apparently that was the season finale for the first season of ChocoPro and they are going to start the second one. Quite what that entails I don't know; its exciting though! Wonder if we might see some of the other Gatoh Move wrestlers that haven't been on the shows recently; Lulu Pencil worked one show I think for example.

RealFoxy posted:

I was just down a rabbit hole and found Mei vs Jazz from EVE last year, and Mei managed to break Jazz of all people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbi2MnPmz3E

I was there live for this: it was an incredibly weird weekend all round (second match on the finals show was Mei vs Lulu Pencil: it was incredibly good but very surreal) but that was possibly the weirdest moment. Also led to the funny moment of Lulu Pencil; who was initially only meant to be there to help out Mei since Emi couldn't be there (she was working some Podunk American promotion you probably haven't heard of; title match I think) but Emi was like "you might want to make some shirts?" and she ended up outselling most of the wrestlers on the show.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I was there live for that as well as all four She-1 shows and as weird as that weekend was (Mei Suruga vs Jazz was strange) that topped it. Very good match live; not seen it taped though since EVE commentary is very bad and has a habit of ruining things.

One of the better live experiences I've had at a wrestling show: up there with seeing one of Command Bolshoi's last matches (against LEON; really really good match), the Wrestle Queendom weekend that had a Mayu Iwatani-Kagetsu match on the mid-card like it was nothing plus getting to see Utami Hayashishita, my favourite wrestler, wrestle three times and the Sendai Girls UK show that featured DASH Chisako and Kay Lee Ray trying to kill each other, and Aiger vs Martina in a match that was a massive trip and very fun.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Neodoomium posted:

While I would bet on them liking it because of the first sentence, is it not true that GTMV exists because of Emi's desire to have a promotion that's free of the grosser aspects of joshi wrestling?

Gatoh Move exists because Emi Sakura left Ice Ribbon (which she set up) because of "internal disagreements" and no one really knows what that means; and she wanted to carry on promoting some sort of pro wrestling: something that more resembled earlier Ice Ribbon (so on a smaller scale based in Ichigaya). The two promotions never work with each other though: even in other promotions where both send talent you'll never see a Gatoh Move wrestler and an Ice Ribbon wrestler in the ring at the same time. Ice Ribbon was set up in 2006 because Joshi was almost dead and every promotion was dying and Emi wanted to do something to prevent that from happening because she wanted to carry on wrestling and wanted to be able to help others carry on wrestling while bringing others in.

Them shying away from some of the weirder bits of Joshi is a conscious decision they've made and one that's admirable they aren't exactly alone in that (you have promotions like Marvelous, Sendai Girls and Pure-J that do the same sort of thing just in a very different way; they are a lot more old-school in presentation) and while I'm not accusing anyone of anything someone shying away from that sort of stuff wouldn't be evidence that they didn't abuse people: just look at some of the people we've learned to be sex pests and worse. And while I admittedly am a little detached looking at things from the other side of the world it feels like the overall scene is moving away from that stuff: Stardom have dropped the photobooks (for now; I suspect that they'll do something in the future in the same way that New Japan do stuff like that); there seems to be a lot less wrestlers that do the gravure stuff now which suggests possibly that they have the money to not need to and other things like that. Really good that Gatoh Move exists though; such a unique promotion that bring people into wrestling that would never get a chance in a lot of other places.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Sasuke go to Ichigaya

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

She was training people (Yunamon and Mitsuru came earlier plus there were foreigners who went to Gatoh Move years before that in order to train with Emi) but the Darejo system is relatively new and that's where pretty much all of their recent talent has come from. The Gatoh Move-Thailand deal is slightly exaggerated: originally they did a lot more there but by the end they were running at least once weekly (usually more) at Ichigaya and had regular bigger shows, which the Thailand stuff was only a few shows a year.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/uma73/status/1287646673540280320?s=20

Only the one scheduled match at this point (on the 23rd August against Akira Francesco; the Italian dude that is based out of the All Japan dojo who's great, really good match) but I imagine that this is a very exciting thing for Akki and if it works well possibly a path to more All Japan dates which would be big.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

SAKI is signed to Actwres Girl'Z so perhaps they pulled her for some reason: but I don't think they have a show tomorrow, or at all before their next Korakuen Hall show and their wrestlers have been all over Ice Ribbon and WAVE shows since the shutdown ended so I don't think it is that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Has there been any explanation for the replacement?

I think there might be an explanation to this actually

https://twitter.com/hahaaaanmax/status/1291701350661648384?s=20

Yuki Miyazaki tested positive for COVID-19 and WAVE have cancelled their next run of shows because of it. There's a contact chain that goes to SAKI: Miyuki Takase (fellow Actwres Girl'Z wrestler) works WAVE very regularly and then they have had contact since and AWG have also pulled Takase off of shows for this weekend so I think they are taking it very seriously.

There's also a chain that theoretically gets into Gatoh move/ChocoPro (Miyazaki-Yuu-Makoto-Mei) which is, well, really rather troubling. I hope that everyone involved gets tested very quickly; sort of a must in cases like this.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I suspect that with the nature of the show they'll probably try to find someone big for it: perhaps they'd have slathered Riho in but she also isn't working; Nanae Takahashi would be the perfect person in that role if she wasn't injured at the moment; I can't really think of anyone else. The obvious other people that might be appropriate for an Emi Sakura anniversary show are Ice Ribbon people and, well, that won't happen.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Pumi was liked to the Thai side of Gatoh Move; which is now its own thing (Setup Pro Wrestling I think?) although he's still friendly with Emi. I think that they just stopped uploading classic matches in the way they were after the ChocoPro thing got hot.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I don't know if Aoi Kizuki does it but Gatoh Move does have some retired ex-wrestlers that referee/ring announce every so often: if you go back to the shows that had fans you'll see Seina (Riho's older sister) show up every so often as a referee years after she retired.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Neodoomium posted:

It's amazing she only has two years in because she does not look out of place with all of these wrestlers who have 8 years or more experience.

There was this run from mid 2018 to mid 2019 (starting with Mei actually: Yunamon debuted first but it took her a bit longer to find her feet I think) where there was just this continual, constant flow of Joshi rookies who debuted, were almost immediately great and it ruled: you had Mei in Gatoh Move, Utami Hayashishita in Stardom, the three Marvelous rookies, Suzu Suzuki in Ice Ribbon; probably some others I've forgotten. Its worth searched on their YouTube channel to watch some of her early matches: they have a load of them on there including some very early stuff (her debut against Emi is up plus a lot of other matches they had, her second match was against Mitsu and that's there; matches against Riho and Command Bolshoi from the first couple of months as well plus they put up a pre-debut Exhibition Match that's really interesting since its weeks after she started TRAINING). That's actually a thing about Mei: the gap between her starting with Darejo and debuting in Gatoh Move was nothing, it was a couple of months at most between her starting to train and her debut match. Was a really interesting time to follow: following rookies from day 1 is one of the best bits of Joshi and that run was great because there were just so many at the same time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

there's a ChocoPro show tomorrow at 8pm JST/12 midday BST/7am EDT (announced yesterday when they released that they were talking about a show that they'd never announced a date or time for) that's going to be the first ChocoPro ring show, and therefore the first ChocoPro show not to be in Ichigaya Chocolate Square. It will also feature the ChocoPro debut of Chie Koishikawa.

Card is:

Emi Sakura + Lulu Pencil vs Sayaka Obihiro + Chie Koishikawa
Yuna Mizumori vs Hagane Shinno
Chris Brookes + Mitsuru Konno vs Mei Suruga + Baliyan Akki

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

An essential update:

https://twitter.com/alljapan_pw/status/1305402450560442368?s=19

Baliyan Akki has joined the Yoshitatsu Kingdom.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Neodoomium posted:

Yoneyama canceled her plans to retire today in a post on twitter. She must still be having fun wrestling for like 21 different promotions at the same time

Reading this confused me since I've heard literally nothing about Yoneyama retiring but I think I've figured it out: HIRO'e retired a few days ago in a match that Yoneyama was involved in (HIRO'e/Nagisa Nozaki vs Miyuki Takase/Kaori Yoneyama) and Yoneyama's twitter posts are her reflecting on that more than anything else. She famously reneged on a retirement in an incredibly blatant way in 2011: she announced her plan to retire, did her retirement tour (including a run of US shows when Command Bolshoi had to pull out) only for on the actual retirement show for her to go "I don't want to retire" which was, well, slightly awkward for everyone involved. JWP eventually ended up offering refunds for all of the retirement road shows since they'd sort of advertised them on being the last chances to see Kaori Yoneyama and they weren't. Then she went freelance and created YMZ and that's sort of when she became the veteran wrestler that works everywhere.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I believe they ran early and finished before Ribbonmania started but I could be wrong.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I think this might interest people that post in this thread so I thought I’d share it.

https://youtu.be/oDextWN6VX4

Sendai Girls have been uploading a load of random older matches for the last week (right when Meiko was announced as being signed for WWE) including this one where Mei teams with Meiko against Team 200KGs (Sendai Girls ace Chihiro Hashimoto and freelancer and former TJPW wrestler Yuu; named because of their collective desire to bulk up to a combined weight of 200kgs) which never aired anywhere before. It’s not outstanding but it’s fun: what you’d expect from a house show main event. Good example of how she works in a more traditional promotion: there was a match in 2019 where MeikoMei faced Sareee and Yuu that’s very good if you can find that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Masa Takanashi being back from his injury would help as well since he always played a strong role in Gatoh Move; both in ring and behind the scenes.

I think it was January 2020 when they announced a big shakeup of roles within the promotion; I assume because Emi wanted a structure there when it looked like she might be working the US relatively often. Masa was always the number 2 but basically he was in charge of the shows when Emi wasn't around; Mei was put in charge of training (impressive since she'd debuted like less than two years before but she played a big role with the 2019 generation of rookies) and I think Yunamon and Mitsuru had roles as well but I can't fully remember and the pandemic made it all irrelevant anyway. If ChocoPro carries on long term (I wonder about that especially when they can run with fans again but who knows) its very unlikely that the three would be in the US permanently or for a very long time and to cover the gaps Masa, the rookies and their usual gang of outsiders could cover the gaps pretty well I think.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

She said in an interview last year that she didn't like it when people only used one bit of her name; and that "Aja Kong" shouldn't be split up.

I share this because "Aja Kong Pencil" sounds incredibly funny

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

got some sad news to report...

https://twitter.com/sadjabroni/status/1371646011794464768?s=20

such a terrible tragedy

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Trying to figure out what that grudge would be and then I looked up that hair match against Yoneyama and that was October 2010 so unless it’s something behind the scenes it probably is related to that; especially with Yoneyama being involved.

Really good match: it’s on YouTube and it’s worth a watch.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder who Waka's trainer is because these submissions are awesome.

...I don't know if anyone really knows who does the training there: Yumiko Hotta is credited with it in English sources but I don't know how much that is an assumption and whether she actually did anything more than being a veteran force in the locker room. I heard that Misaki Ohata did some when she was active so it may well be random people from outside that do lots of it rather than signed talent - they currently use two veterans in masked gimmicks (Cherry, a long-time freelancer who did some ChocoPro stuff last year and AKINO from OZ Academy) with noki-A being the official "head coach" of one of the two sub-brands so perhaps they do a bit; they actually have a group of veteran wrestlers now so perhaps Tae Honma does a bit as well: but I don't think anyone really knows.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

A lot of promotions just don't like talking about wrestlers that leave: some have a rule against posting photos with people from rival promotions on social media sites or other similar things. I know that after the Mayu and Yoshiko match both posted a fair few photos of each other clearly taken in the years when Yoshiko was with SEAd and Mayu with Stardom that showed that they were clearly close with each other but publicly their interaction had been limited to a handful of tweets because of that side of things. Rin Rin also wasn't as big a part of Gatoh Move as others in that generation since she'd been away for most of the pandemic with them being very cautious over using her during school times and so perhaps there wasn't that same bond that the people that had shown up there a lot more had. Its not like they talk about Mitsuru Konno a whole lot and she'd been a big part of Gatoh Move for a lot longer.

Emi seems to be very aware of what Gatoh Move is as a promotion and the cap it has on where people go: she initially didn't want Riho to join from Ice Ribbon and when she left in 2019 to Stardom/AEW it was with their full blessing; Darejo was involved in training Haruka Umesaki and Madeline early on and both left before they debuted to go to Diana and there doesn't seem to be an issue there considering that Umesaki has worked Gatoh Move shows and against GM talent for other promotions. When you are, to be frank, a micro indie and someone wishes to leave to go to a company backed by much greater resources your options are limited and it can be the best thing to simply let them go and perhaps work together with them in the future: trying to hold onto people probably makes it less likely that others train with you in the future.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Easy to say this in hindsight but I don't think this is a massive surprise; Gatoh Move feels like a great place to learn as a rookie (especially one not naturally gifted) and if you are an older veteran to work less punishing matches but if you are in your prime it absolutely caps what you can do. Mei is the chosen ace and seemingly isn't going anywhere any time soon and so that isn't a spot she can take and a lot of the other spots in Gatoh Move are taken by dudes and the Emi booking of intergender is that men almost always beat women (like unless its a comedy match the opposite happening is very unlikely) so there doesn't seem to me like there's much progression. This happens fairly often with Gatoh Move - Mitsuru Konno worked for five years and retired (saying that she didn't really enjoy it); Mizuki and SAKI left after a similar period to focus on TJPW/AWG - its a fact of life for a microindie: part of your role is that you produce your own talent and then after a while some people leave to retire or go to something bigger.

Where does she go? She's worked Stardom this year (New Blood once, the Sumo Hall battle royal the other) and she's got links to Color's who are regulars there and they're doing a mystery opponent gimmick this weekend so that's a possibility but I don't know if she'd be a massive fit there and would have to drop the idol stuff if that's where she'd go full time. TJPW/Ganbare are an option and there's links there - but Gatoh Move also have links there and generally that can cause issues with those sort of relationships so Cyberfight might want to avoid that. Might genuinely go freelance and while she's not got a lot of connections she does have a few (SAKI through working a lot of AWG, I get the impression that SEAd liked her but were blocked from working with Gatoh Move through the Ice Ribbon connection so that's an option; GLEAT have recruited from Gatoh Move and sort of need female talent, etc) or the worst scenario is that she turns into Mari Manji and exclusively works tiny indies you can't watch and so you forget she exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

They recruited Mizuki from outside (Gatoh Move/LLPW/whatever it was at that point), Natsumi Maki from AWG in 2018/19 and Nao Kakuta from AWG in 2020. They don't sign a million people but they absolutely do sign outsiders if they are available. I do think the Mei thing makes it difficult - even when people leave on good terms you tend to see a period where they don't work with people from their former promotion - Saori Anou was notably kept away from Tae Honma in Ice Ribbon from Anou's AWG departure to Tae's AWG departure and Anou appears to have left there in very good terms considering the send off she got. Easily could just book the two to stay apart if that was the case; but I think that it may be something that neither side would want to deal with.