Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just want to say that while I was going to pick up the remake eventually anyways, I bought it today so that I could play along with the LP, so you've already generated one sale for Squenix, Nat20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Different party but I am currently playing as well. I am also blind, having not even played the original for more than a few hours.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

I am also playing this for the first time, and following along with the SD3 hard mode LP from the archive as I go. It's kind of wild to me just how much the enemies look exactly like the old sprites.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Egadsman posted:

I am also playing this for the first time, and following along with the SD3 hard mode LP from the archive as I go. It's kind of wild to me just how much the enemies look exactly like the old sprites.

Yeah they've done a great job adapting some stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

A double bill to start us off!

If you've seen the Riesz intro episode then feel free to skip to Episode 2 to dodge ground that I've already covered!

Otherwise we begin our amazing quest at the Castle of Laurent.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I was hoping Duran would make a comeback because (spoiler for an optional boss we won't be seeing)

but Riesz and Hawk will also be fun.

Also, the amazon leotards are a lot more ridiculous now that they're not tiny snes sprites. As is the merchant dance, but in the best of ways.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It appears in all paths now

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

gandlethorpe posted:

It appears in all paths now

Oh? Well then, fun times ahead. Uh. Far ahead.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I continue to contend that 'benevodon' is the dumbest loving word and whoever chose it for this game needs to be fired.

Out of a cannon.

In to the sun.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Apparently they're good in other games, which were translated first

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
gently caress I love SD3. This game is so full of love and care, it's a treat to play. It helps that the trash enemies are legitimately dangerous and also not hp sponges.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, one of the games I only got halfway through apparently had Malevodons and their good counterparts, Benevodons, The Benes were the guys who show up in this game. So the name was kinda locked in.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, one of the games I only got halfway through apparently had Malevodons and their good counterparts, Benevodons, The Benes were the guys who show up in this game. So the name was kinda locked in.

Some sort of comment from Faerie about "people used to call them Benevodons, but they seem pretty malevolent to me!" would have tied that bow up pretty well imo.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I forget, did they use Benevodons in Legend, or did that start in Children?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Nice to see the LP properly start.
Beat the game myself already, and man, this game is good.

Shoenin posted:

I forget, did they use Benevodons in Legend, or did that start in Children?

I don't think they're even mentioned in Legend.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
1. It was highly disturbing how you ignored the shiny in the bush for several minutes.

2. What are those pauldrons attached to? She's wearing a shoulderless dress...

3. The graphics programmer in me is wondering if the outline shader is keyed off the depth buffer or (sub)object ids.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Training points do not affect stats on their own, just whatever you get at threshold levels.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

For as irritating as Charlotte's voice is, I think I prefer it to Riesz's completely flat line reads.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Egadsman posted:

For as irritating as Charlotte's voice is, I think I prefer it to Riesz's completely flat line reads.

Riesz is odd because some of her delivery is great and some is deadpan. I don't know if the voice actress was hungover one time or the sound crew had "let your kid direct the recording" day or what. Everyone else, good bad or weird, is at least consistent.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I will admit this game's dub is kind of... hit or miss... but it's an endearing kind of hit-or-miss, like old anime dubs from the 90s.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Man, all the remixes of songs in this game are making me nostalgic.

Egadsman posted:

Haha, ouch. But yeah, it seems like Riesz's VA was told to keep it prim and proper to suit a high class lady like a princess, but it ended up a little bland. (I still definitely prefer it to Charlotte)

I am glad that Kevin's lines flow a little better. The SNES fan translation went waaaaay too far in the "caveman" direction. Now it reads more like a really shy guy with a bit of a speech impediment, which is really fitting.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm curious how this version will handle the more risque elements given the original could be ridiculous at times, but I guess it could get away with it due to using one hundred percent sprite art as opposed to fully rendered 3D models here.

I'm pretty there was a topless woman wandering around Wendel in the original, and then there's Angela.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Have to say that the ally AI looks... awful. He's like maybe doing 1 attack on an enemy for every 4-5 of yours.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Keldulas posted:

Have to say that the ally AI looks... awful. He's like maybe doing 1 attack on an enemy for every 4-5 of yours.

I'm not sure how Natural 20 has his team set, but I had little issue with how the AI was set by default. There were a few bosses, namely the Machine Golems, where I changed their AI to target the same enemy as I did, and towards the end I lifted Angela's MP restriction and she had a tendency to cast Ancient Curse as the battle was ending but the way I built her by the end meant MP wasn't an issue anyways so I found it more hilarious than anything. They will unleash their super attacks on a whim, but I found those were best to use Sailor Moon style anyways.

For the record though, my team was Duran, Angela, and Kevin. That team is gonna wreck some face no matter how you build it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Carlie doesn't show up again like that on everyone else's adventures in the original does she? If she did then fine, but if not, I'm starting to worry we're gonna see some her over and over again in some forced comic relief role.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

Carlie doesn't show up again like that on everyone else's adventures in the original does she? If she did then fine, but if not, I'm starting to worry we're gonna see some her over and over again in some forced comic relief role.

Don't worry, she does AND it isn't the last time.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
In the original the only character you don't get forced into interacting with at some point is Angela, although I think she's pretty high in the order of people who bust you out of Jadd if you already have a full party

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
You people almost voted her onto the team, in this game where characters never stop talking.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

magikid posted:

You people almost voted her onto the team, in this game where characters never stop talking.

In the remake (and probably the original, since the remake is extremely faithful in regard to dialogue) it's mostly your main and secondary characters doing the talking in conversations. Since you usually take Carlie as the third character (to have a full party earlier), she won't contribute much outside of specific character dialogue you always get (e.g. when you meet her first) and the stuff the remake added (combat dialogue, random banter).

Shitenshi posted:

I'm curious how this version will handle the more risque elements

I don't know about that npc you mentioned, but they stuck closely to the original outfit artwork.

Original Magus Artwork: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=Angela_Magus.png
Remake Magus Outfit: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=ToM-Angela_%28Magus%29.png

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This game's story is exquisitely campy, and I don't understand anyone who doesn't appreciate the campiest character of all appweciate the campiest chawactew of aww.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

gandlethorpe posted:

This game's story is exquisitely campy, and I don't understand anyone who doesn't appreciate the campiest character of all appweciate the campiest chawactew of aww.

Indeed.
Gotta wove chawwotte.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure Astoria has separate maps for before and after it's destroyed, so you didn't miss the chest there the first time and AFAIK they don't respawn.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Cyflan posted:

Indeed.
Gotta wove chawwotte.

Gotta be wowwied about all the stubbown meanies here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gandlethorpe posted:

It's hard to read. I don't mind it spoken but trying to read and parse it can be annoying.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

It's hard to read. I don't mind it spoken but trying to read and parse it can be annoying.

Yeah, this. I don’t love the spoken accent, and the VA seems to fall out of it from time to time, but it’s tolerable. The w infestation on the subtitles makes my eyes bleed.

I’m glad we didn’t go with Kevin, I understand what they were going for but having him quietly Shatner it up all the time would be grating.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ayndin posted:

Yeah, this. I don’t love the spoken accent, and the VA seems to fall out of it from time to time, but it’s tolerable. The w infestation on the subtitles makes my eyes bleed.

Agreed, it directly fights the purpose of subtitles.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If you played the Demo, this vid is where the new stuff starts