Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Cyflan posted:

Indeed.
Gotta wove chawwotte.

Be vewy vewy quiet. Chawwote's hunting wabites. Hahahahahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For folks playing along at home, when he asks "I wonder if you can get into that cell" the answer is yes and the guy inside gives you a skill for +10mp which is useful for a low-level caster.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The button to open it is literally 2 feet from the gate. I found this out after combing the upper area for a key like 3 times...

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
Excited to see the game being LP'ed. Played the fan translation back in the day but this boss is as far as I got before getting bored.
Personally, Chawwotte's accent doesn't bother me in the least. Riesz shouting "Stay true!" every 3 attacks or so on the other hand has been getting on my nerves since ep. 2. :argh:
It's not Riesz' character, just the attack shouts in general that bother me to no end. For some reason "Stay true!" feels the most annoying to me.

Also, will the game ever explain why Riesz has an enormous rupee stuck in her forehead? :confused:

Pea fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 1, 2020

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Pea posted:

Also, will the game ever explain why Riesz has an enormous rupee stuck in her forehead? :confused:

My guess? It's a tiara, with most of it hidden by her hair. I mean, she is a princess, after all, so she's kinda expected to accessorize.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, nothing about Riesz's outfit makes sense. Even by videogame standards. There is literally no back to it

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Asparagus32 posted:

I don't know about that npc you mentioned, but they stuck closely to the original outfit artwork.

Original Magus Artwork: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=Angela_Magus.png
Remake Magus Outfit: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Angela?file=ToM-Angela_%28Magus%29.png

I was referring more how in the original when she's in the Jadd prison, her seduction involves her straight up mooning the beastman guard with enough 16-bit nudity to make every Christian fundie in the 90s clutch their pearls, and her special attack if you pursue her light path involves her shaking her bare rear end at the enemies. Don't know if that was removed for this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was edited out in the official release a year back.

Looking at the JP wiki page for Children of Mana, the original Japanese for "God-Beasts" can also be translated as Divine Beasts, while the Malevodons listed were the Wicked Beasts. So I can see why they named them Benevodons, but it absolutely does not fit them in a villainous role here since God/Divine Beasts can depending on the context be used in a sinister context, like divine punishment, wrath of the heavens type stuff, and Benevodons suggests nothing like that. Kind of like how the Fire Emblem class of Hero has connotations of decency and goodness, but can also be employed in a strictly martial sense morality be damned, and why some downright evil characters in those games are in that profession.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 1, 2020

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I was not prepared for campy Lumina.

Also, I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but there's already a random team roller for Trials called the...

uh...

the Three Job Thiethta.

http://www.robin64.co.uk/tomtjt/

Preumably Chawotte is responsible.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

My personal theory on the Benevodons was that their seal was designed to break when Mana power got too low, releasing them to destroy the world and allow the Goddess of Mana to remake it before Mana disappeared entirely, given enough time passing for Mana power to recover. This is acting under the assumption that Mana power is diminishing because of the overconsumption of Mana like we saw in Secret of Mana.

The ritual to control the Mana Stones power weakening the seals would basically cause the Benevodons to wake up early and go "Oh, is it Apocalypse O'clock already? Better get destroying!".

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Using only one save slot is just asking for the LP curse to strike.

Asparagus32
Aug 16, 2015

Shitenshi posted:

I was referring more how in the original when she's in the Jadd prison, her seduction involves her straight up mooning the beastman guard with enough 16-bit nudity to make every Christian fundie in the 90s clutch their pearls
That scene *is* very suggestive. As in the original she asks the beastman to help her change her clothes. However, there is no additional nudity other than what her outfit already shows.
I remember there were some complaints about one of her techs being changed. I haven't played her light classes much (and neither used her techs a lot, since magic is usually just as strong) so I can't confirm or deny that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, nothing about Riesz's outfit makes sense. Even by videogame standards. There is literally no back to it

Her petal skirt makes some sense for a combatant as it doesn't impede her mobility, and her shoes look to be flats instead of high heels... but that's about it.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Angela's outfit is equally ridiculous. Actually maybe slightly worse; both are weaing backless, strapless leotards with extra bits attached, but Reisz is at least wearing what are if not actual flats at least low heeled boots with a fairly chunky heel to them. Angela's shoes are stiletto's and seem about as high heeled as it's possible for them to be.

Though oddly what kinda bugs me more is that Trials, lacking the random girls wandering around in what are basically carnivale outfits, makes them stand out even more by having them be the only people dressed like that at all.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly what gets me is the merchants. Mildly amusing in Secret of Mana, they were slowed down juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust enough to look like something out of a horror movie this time around

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think you need to switch between party members more.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Does this game employ some kind of level-based damage scaling or something? Because not only did those things seem to have absurd HP, but you also weren't doing much damage to them either.

In other words, I feel like part (but definitely not all) of the problem with the Machine Golem fight was just the fact that you were underlevelled.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

Does this game employ some kind of level-based damage scaling or something? Because not only did those things seem to have absurd HP, but you also weren't doing much damage to them either.

In other words, I feel like part (but definitely not all) of the problem with the Machine Golem fight was just the fact that you were underlevelled.

I remember those things being a bit of a wake-up call in the original as well.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Machine Golems were definitely one of the harder bosses in the original. They hit hard, there's not a lot of room to maneuver, healing is very limited, and you have nothing to mitigate their damage or raise yours besides levels.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm not sure how I feel about all these little references to other Mana games and trying to do all this cohesive world building between all the different games. Reminds me way too much of Sword of Mana's bloated attempt at trying to "fix" Final Fantasy Adventure, which all it did was end up ruining it.

Yeah the Machine Golems here were definitely the original's Dorter fight no matter what your party was. The first time I ended up dying and having to restart.

After seeing that dwarf go, "Whoooeeee!" now I can't help imagining Mr. Poopy Butthole voicing all the different dwarves.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 2, 2020

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I generally find that regardless of the character, the party ai is most useful when it's set up to balanced attack, freely use moves and class strikes without restriction and only keep a single healing item in reserve so they don't accidentally empty the item wheel.

The game throws enough healing items at you, that you're not likely to run out, and you can always buy more. There's always a gold statue before boss fights, so you never go into one without full health/mana and the boss arenas usually have enough blue urns to fill one or two cs bars, so there's really not much need to micromanage the ai's resource usage.

Balanced attack with unrestricted item usage makes both ai characters automatically use heals or revives if someone is low, debuffed or dead, otherwise they just keep fighting normally.

I find that the QoL increase from just letting the ai do it's thing on it's own is worth the minimal efficiency loss from occasional wasted item, spell or class strike. And all characters have slottable conditional mp/cs regen abilities in their spirit training tree, that can be used to stretch the game's already generous resource reserves further.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Welp, I ended up buying the game for myself thanks to this thread. I hope you all are happy.

Cuz I am. It's pretty good. I gotta say, though, going in "blind" to some of the new mechanics is giving me a lil' bit of anxiety vis a vis stat placement.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The stat system is much better this time, with nothing really being useless to any character. Even INT on Kevin/Duran buffs their CS attack. Also you get access to point resetting pretty early on.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And, good news for perfectionists, at level 99 you have juuuuuuuuuust enough training points to max out each stat

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

And, good news for perfectionists, at level 99 you have juuuuuuuuuust enough training points to max out each stat

Is that counting the expanded trees that come with Class 4?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Kyrosiris posted:

Is that counting the expanded trees that come with Class 4?

Yes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Light/Heavy knockback attack is pretty good, and it's a frequent opener for me.

As an aside, Episode 4 and Episode 6 are in the playlist twice. It's the same video, because they're both marked as watched for me. YouTube does strange things sometimes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

APPLACHIAN COOT GNOME

:five:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That limit on running away is pretty annoying. It's better than Legend where you flat out can't run away, but still, that's a bit of an unnecessary addition to this one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/19956095

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hi everyone!

We’re fast approaching the class change. As any good Trials of Mana player I’m tremendously excited about this and about what you’re all going to choose for me.

Let’s go through character by character in case you skipped the summary at the end of the video.

Riesz

Light – Valkyrie

Riesz’s light class change is the Valkyrie, if this game follows the original then Valkyrie will focus around stat buffs, allowing Lise to improve the power and defenses of her party members. It trends slightly physically stronger than Rune Maiden. Typically this makes her stronger against normal enemies than Rune Maiden because buffing an individual party member is easier than debuffing all enemies for the same increase.

The Valkyrie develops further on with her second class change into either a tremendous physical attacker or a supreme support character.

Dark – Rune Maiden

Riesz’s dark class change is the Rune Maiden. If we’re following the original game, the Rune Maiden will have stat debuffs, allowing her to cripple her enemies. This typically compares well to Valkyrie on boss fights where a single debuff will match the power of a buff on each one of your party.
The Rune Maiden develops further on with her second class change into a very powerful debuffer or a strong magical caster.

Hawkeye

Light – Ranger

Hawkeye’s light class change is the Ranger. It themes itself around two things the first is physical damage spells such as arrows and the second is status effects such as poison and sleep. It’s a little odd, in the original a lot of these didn’t compare well to the damage output from attacking normally. Additionally his status effects, while powerful, didn’t usually work on anything worth casting them on but this could well have changed with the remake.

The Ranger develops further on with his second class change into either a class focused around some of the wackiest and weirdest buffs and debuffs in the game or into a pseudo caster, focused around different kinds of direct damage spells.

Dark – Ninja

Hawkeye’s dark class change is the Ninja. It bases itself around magical spells that debuff opponents when cast. It’s also a little stronger than the Ranger from a physical perspective. Largely it works best against bosses, with the debuffs it provides giving a significant advantage.

The Ninja develops further on with his second class change into either a class that is focused around debuffing everything nearby and area damage or into a very powerful physical attacker with more unique debuffs with less area damage functionality.

Angela

Light – Sorceress

Angela’s light class change is the Sorceress. She focuses on elemental damage spells, gaining access to a plethora of powerful options to take advantages of weaknesses. She compares well to the Delvar with her variety of magic, taking advantage of weaknesses in many of the elemental themed dungeons.

In the original her subsequent class changes are relatively interchangeable, so the second choice will likely be less interesting, both focusing around elemental superiority.

Dark – Delvar

Angela’s dark class change is the Delvar. She focuses more strongly on pure magical attack with less elemental variety. She compares well to the Sorceress in neutral dungeons where the Sorceress can’t easily hit weaknesses as well as in situations where they both access spells a boss is weak to.

In the original her subsequent class changes either gave her extremely focused magic that had very special effects or supreme magical attacking power at the cost of magical variety.

The strawpoll is open until Friday here: https://www.strawpoll.me/19956095

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I always preferred pairing Light Riesz with Dark Hawkeye. As for Angela, Light all the way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This party can't really sustain dark Angela's gimmick well, so Light/Dark/Light IMO.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

That limit on running away is pretty annoying. It's better than Legend where you flat out can't run away, but still, that's a bit of an unnecessary addition to this one.

Where he had to re-zone? It's a bug. Normally you leave combat mode when you flee. Never seen that happen and I run plenty.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I voted Dark Riesz because I played Light Riesz and was less than impressed

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Valkyrie, Ninja, and I don't use Angela enough to have an opinion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So a few interesting party combinations:

The Traditional

The most traditional party combination is Light Riesz, Dark Hawk, Light Angela.

The reason for this is that Light Riesz gives you full buff coverage, Dark hawk gives you full debuff coverage and then Light Angela is tremendously likely to be able to nail an enemy on their weak point. This largely results in massive amounts of damage either focused around murdering bosses or murdering normal enemies.

The Party from Last time

A party I like to call "The party from last time" is Light Riesz, Light Hawk, Dark Angela.

This is a little weirder, it relies on the synergy between Riesz and some of Light Hawk's strange buffs, resulting in Riesz being able to hurl out very powerful attacks very frequently. Angela here goes Dark to take advantage of her status effects.

The Casters

This party focuses around attacking spells, Dark Lise, Light Hawk, Dark Angela.

Lise throws out debuffs on enemies as Hawk and Angela land alpha strikes to kill the enemies before they have a chance to react. With the removal of agility from the game, perhaps Hawkeye's magic power is dictated by his intelligence now?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

Lise throws out debuffs on enemies as Hawk and Angela land alpha strikes to kill the enemies before they have a chance to react. With the removal of agility from the game, perhaps Hawkeye's magic power is dictated by his intelligence now?

It depends on the spell. "Trap" spells, e.g. dart, run on luck.

Healing goes off spirit, all of Angela's offensive spells go off INT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

It depends on the spell. "Trap" spells, e.g. dart, run on luck.

Healing goes off spirit, all of Angela's offensive spells go off INT.

Jutsus go off Int as well. Not sure about Risez's summons. I think that's everything you need to worry about in this playthrough.

For the record, class strikes go off both Str and Int regardless of the character.