Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Given that Hawk acts and looks the part of a casanova, he'd probably be the type to consider being turned into a moogle to be a good thing. Ladies wouldn't be able to resist playing with him like a life sized teddy bear. And the Divine Beast of Light being a giant floating eye fits in with some of the actual Biblical descriptions of the angels, which often were described like typical eldritch abominations straight out of Lovecraft as opposed to simply people with wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Finally got around to watching #30, and I've got an explanation for why Angela sometimes shouts her "that was exhilarating" line after battle: Each character has a specific line for finishing the battle with a class strike, and that happens to be hers. Took a bit of experimentation (read: "wiping out entire groups with my AOE class strikes to save time") for me to figure it out, though.

For Random Buff, I'm guessing that the name is more indicative of what it does; I'm assuming that if you cast a buff on someone, it adds a random extra buff to the same target. Well, either that, or you buff a teammate and get a random buff for doing so; that makes sense too. Anyway, it seems Riesz's Light classes are all focused almost entirely on buffs and passive support, though how that manifests varies.

I think the fact that some shops sell multiple pieces of equipment of the same type would probably be due to the class change system; the stronger ones are the ones that're locked to your upgraded class, while the weaker ones can be used even in your base class- something of that nature sounds about right.

The Blaze Barrette came from an Item Seed. I got like 6 of them while trying for Angela's helmet.

I'm kinda wondering why you're keeping 5 of an accessory when you only get 3 party members... I mean, what's the point of the spares?

The Magic Tezlas were debuffing your Max HP... or at least attempting to.

I feel like Riesz just has a terrible Weak-Weak-Weak-Weak-Strong combo; Duran's is quick, simple, and almost as powerful as Cross Cut.

Anyway, if the poll's still open for which Benevodon to hunt next, I'm gonna vote Earth, just so I can see if Ice is any less pathetic if you do it last as opposed to first.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shitenshi posted:

Given that Hawk acts and looks the part of a casanova, he'd probably be the type to consider being turned into a moogle to be a good thing. Ladies wouldn't be able to resist playing with him like a life sized teddy bear. And the Divine Beast of Light being a giant floating eye fits in with some of the actual Biblical descriptions of the angels, which often were described like typical eldritch abominations straight out of Lovecraft as opposed to simply people with wings.
Yeah, generally the lower-order angels (the actual angels and archangels) were more human-like and as you went up the totem pole you got to stuff like the Thrones (giant flaming wheels), the Cherubim (far from a diaper-clad baby, they're an amalgamation of lion/ox/eagle/man), Seraphim (who have 12 wings), and the Metatron (who is the largest angel and has 36 wings).

CptWedgie posted:

I think the fact that some shops sell multiple pieces of equipment of the same type would probably be due to the class change system; the stronger ones are the ones that're locked to your upgraded class, while the weaker ones can be used even in your base class- something of that nature sounds about right.
I dunno, I think I could use all of the upgrades from the two cat vendors at least before I class changed. I had to wait a while because I got only like 1 or 2 actual drops, and had to get most of them from chests.

CptWedgie posted:

I feel like Riesz just has a terrible Weak-Weak-Weak-Weak-Strong combo; Duran's is quick, simple, and almost as powerful as Cross Cut.
Yeah, Duran's was pretty good, although like most of his other combos that weren't Y-X I pretty much exclusively used it on foes who were knocked down.

As for Benevodon voting, I say go for Earth because I want to see if you have as much trouble as I did.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I dunno, I think I could use all of the upgrades from the two cat vendors at least before I class changed. I had to wait a while because I got only like 1 or 2 actual drops, and had to get most of them from chests.

Yeah, Duran's was pretty good, although like most of his other combos that weren't Y-X I pretty much exclusively used it on foes who were knocked down.

Er, do you mean before your second class change or the first one? Because I meant "the class you start the game in," as in "before your first class change." Just to make sure we're both talking about the same thing here.

Anyway, as for the combo thing: Same here, really; the basic knockdown attack's kind of overpowered. Not in the "too much damage" sense, of course, since you start out with it, but in the "knockdown is kind of a broken mechanic and this lets you use it way too easily" sense.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CptWedgie posted:

Er, do you mean before your second class change or the first one? Because I meant "the class you start the game in," as in "before your first class change." Just to make sure we're both talking about the same thing here.
Yes, I mean before the second class change, to the tier 3 classes I used for the remainder of the main plot.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Cat vendors sell gear tailored to whichever side you picked for your first class change. This is mostly a theme/flavor thing, and something they imported directly from the original.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

SettingSun posted:

The Cat vendors sell gear tailored to whichever side you picked for your first class change. This is mostly a theme/flavor thing, and something they imported directly from the original.

I kinda suspected it when I posted the thing on why vendors sell two weapons for the same character, but hadn't confirmed it since I hadn't reached class change territory yet and thus refrained from saying so.

I have confirmed it since then, though, since I'm using Liege Duran this time instead of Edelfrei, and he's getting different equipment this time. (I kept my old save in case I want to play with my old party sometime.)

Of course, I've also compared the stats on equipment between saves, and the Dark classes seem to get stronger gear for some reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Art will be up soon!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 9, 2020

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Funny thing about that "pry the gems out and sell them" thing? Duran actually suggests doing that. Too bad the game won't let you; that'd fix your money woes all at once.

Another alternative to the whole "wait, which button activates which attack again?" thing in my experience? Change the control scheme. I mean, it'll mess up the displayed buttons basically everywhere, and you might need a bit of time to get used to it, but having things set up so the buttons activate the abilities that correspond to their respective directions really helps, I feel.

Judging from the experience he gives, Land Umber is meant to be one of the first few Benevodons you fight; the ones that give more experience are probably balanced on the assumption that you've gotten all your characters their second class changes.

Anyway, just finished my second run; next I'll be sucking up my distaste for her to do a Riesz run. I've already decided who my teammates will be, too: Hawkeye due to shared story, and Kevin because I've already used Angela twice in a row and need some more variety in my lineup.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only good thing about the ice physics in the Labyrinth of Ice is that you make squeaky basketball player noises instead of the normal footstep sounds when walking.

I never said I got the exact ones I wanted right away, I said I didn't get any dupes until after I'd class-changed everyone. It took like four or five ??? Seeds for me to get what I wanted because I got both of Angela's and Reisz's class change items.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I've never seen the Water Benevodon's charge-up attack; I always had too easy of a time breaking the icicles no matter how many it dropped or what order I fought the Benevodons in. And the attack itself is... kind of a let-down; it's just a giant Spike Freeze? :effort:

But anyway, that thing didn't look any harder than starting with it to me; I utterly destroyed it without anyone even using their second class changes, and I bet I could do it again no matter what order I fight them in (aside from the obvious issue of actually getting that far in the first place). Of course, I feel like Duran's a better character than Riesz, but that's just me (and my "charge in and rip things apart" strategy); I don't really do support spells unless they've got other effects attached, generally speaking.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh I think you are going to catch up to the last Benevodon level wise. Like the original it was also the one that gave me the most trouble.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I'm willing to bet that you only get to meet Duran's father when you're actually using Duran. I mean, it's not like anyone else would recognize him, right?

Is anyone surprised in the least that the Darkstone is in the final dungeon regardless of route? Because I'm not.

After my playthrough with a Light Angela, I'd have to say that, despite Dark's advantage in pure power, Light might be a better choice for her just because there're so many enemies weak to Light, whereas there aren't nearly as many that're weak to Dark from what I've seen, and the ones that exist aren't even as strong as the Light-weak ones most of the time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Zable Fahr is still an awesome boss.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Goes into the Zable Fahr fight with four unspent training points for Hawkeye and Angela.

I'm reasonably certain Loki only showed up with Duran in your party in the original, too?

Awesome boss fight, and you did a good job. It was a joy to watch it.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

CptWedgie posted:

I'm willing to bet that you only get to meet Duran's father when you're actually using Duran. I mean, it's not like anyone else would recognize him, right?

Is anyone surprised in the least that the Darkstone is in the final dungeon regardless of route? Because I'm not.

After my playthrough with a Light Angela, I'd have to say that, despite Dark's advantage in pure power, Light might be a better choice for her just because there're so many enemies weak to Light, whereas there aren't nearly as many that're weak to Dark from what I've seen, and the ones that exist aren't even as strong as the Light-weak ones most of the time.

I think Angela's last spell in Dark is non-elemental, presumably to avoid the issue of Dark weakness being less common.

I do know binding it to a quick select meant a good chunk of the endgaame was just pressing that button and watching things melt as they tried to hit Duran.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah Ancient Curse is really, really broken and once you get it every boss fight is just a matter of chugging walnuts and spamming Ancient Curse. None of the other characters really have to do anything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Weird Malocchio did not use some of his more dangerous attacks. Or in one case only used at the very end where it would not be very effective.

Also his poor adds. They really need more hp.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 12, 2020

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

CptWedgie posted:

Torrannor posted:

I'm reasonably certain Loki only showed up with Duran in your party in the original, too?

From what I remember of the original, Loki only shows up if Duran is your main character.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, Malocchio feels like he exists for the sole purpose of filling out the boss list; you could write him out entirely and it wouldn't change the story in the least. All the other lieutenants at least have a connection to your party, and frequently actually contribute to the overall plot too.

Crimson Wizard? Brainwashed Angela's mother and invaded Valsena twice.
Darkshine Knight? He's the corrupted ghost of Duran's father.
Goremand? Used magic to force Kevin to murder his only friend, and kidnapped Heath right in front of Charlotte.
Heath? Charlotte's corrupted crush/obsession.
Belladonna? Brainwashed the entire Nevarl Thieves' Guild, conquered Laurent, and took Riesz's family from her.
Malocchio? He just shows up to taunt you once or twice, then suddenly appears as the Mavolia faction's de facto second-in-command.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You didn't appear to notice it in the video, but Malocchio is weak to fire.

CptWedgie posted:

Yeah, Malocchio feels like he exists for the sole purpose of filling out the boss list; you could write him out entirely and it wouldn't change the story in the least. All the other lieutenants at least have a connection to your party, and frequently actually contribute to the overall plot too.
They should have kept Isabella/Belladonna as the antagonist for the Reisz/Hawkeye route and had Malocchio be the guy you chump earlier on to build up to fighting her. And to be honest, I'm not entirely certain what Mavolia actually is. Is it just supposed to be straight-up Hell, and the Mavolians or whatever are demons? Is it the D&D Underdark, literally underground and full of a bunch of scheming assholes? Something more like the Shadowfell or Thanatos, a dark reflection of the world the PCs live in and infested with the undead (considering Malocchio seems to be modeled after a vampire)?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Commander Keene posted:

And to be honest, I'm not entirely certain what Mavolia actually is. Is it just supposed to be straight-up Hell, and the Mavolians or whatever are demons? Is it the D&D Underdark, literally underground and full of a bunch of scheming assholes? Something more like the Shadowfell or Thanatos, a dark reflection of the world the PCs live in and infested with the undead (considering Malocchio seems to be modeled after a vampire)?

Mavolia is generally described as "That place all the demons come from" but depending on which game you ask it also operates as Actually Hell or just kind of bad-times purgatory. There is also a second, separate SUPER HELL (the one you go to in Legend of Mana) to make things even more confusing.

Mana lore is incredibly weird.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mavolia is Makai in Japan, literally Demon World/Realm.

As the series marches on its lore is retrofit into an overarching narrative. It's probably best to ignore everything prior to Sword of Mana.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Up to and including Sword of Mana

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You're completely right. Ignore everything made before Dawn of Mana.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 13, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've only played Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret, and Trials, so that'll be difficult for me.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Finished my Riesz run and started a Charlotte - Kevin - Angela run. Mostly because I dislike Riesz enough that I want a break from her before doing Hawkeye; I mean, I refused to control her- I mostly used Kevin, but sometimes I played as Hawkeye too. Hating her voice (and her script) didn't really help, either.

Something I forgot from my first playthrough: When you're leaving Maia for the first time, Charlotte starts crying and talking about going home when she hears about how the Priest of Light is sick, and another party member (in my case Angela, in both runs) comforts her. This has led me to the conclusion that Angela would make a surprisingly good mother, though that's not really relevant to anything outside of fanfiction.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your commentary seems a bit behind the action. Like here, you call out that "this is clearly a Mimic chest" after you've unboxed the Mimic. Unless that the joke?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
No it's desynced by exactly 5 seconds because of an error in audio editing. It's not too bad because the game sounds are fine but it'll seem a little odd at certain points.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, It's a bit late to be trying to get sympathy for Belladonna literally minutes before the final boss fight.

Also, there are two each of Ep 36 & 38 in the playlist.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, It's a bit late to be trying to get sympathy for Belladonna literally minutes before the final boss fight.

I don't think it's as much to get sympathy for Belladonna as to set up the boss as an even bigger bastard than he already was.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yes, I thought His Dark Majesty sacrificed himself to summon the Darkstone from Mavolia. And they kidnapped Elliot so that he had a suitable host to possess after summoning the Darkstone. Isn't that how it happened in the original. Now I'm confused, too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

A double bill today as we reach the climax of the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The hell you just said Faerie's Ability was not good. That is absurdly good. Recovering your MP every 10 seconds for the whole party is great.