Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Hello OP! This has been in the back of my head to play for a while, but I never really bothered so I'm glad this LP is here! :) Best of luck, I'll be reading.

And since it hasn't come up already, I'm going to recamend Secret Little Haven (https://store.steampowered.com/app/827290/Secret_Little_Haven/) which is a really good little game very similar to this one. (No spoilers, but queer and especially trans folks might especially enjoy this one.) Additionally, there's Digital: A Love Story (https://scoutshonour.com/digital/), which is shorter and smaller than both, but boasts a lovely send up of Amiga computers and has a great soundtrack.

T-man fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Excited to watch this thread. Played through Hypnospace Outlaw once and had a blast. Will be interested to see how much I missed though.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I've seen Digital: A Love Story but Secret Little Haven is new to me and looks right up my alley! I think I'll give it a go.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 7 - Harassment in Teentopia

Hope you're having a lovely day friends. Today we're going to sort out the harassment case in Teentopia!

I did a little decorating for my desktop.

Also, I've found half the SquisherZ!

The SquisherZ theme is actually for textboxes. I'll have it for a bit but it's a little too obnoxious to keep on the entire time.

Like so.

https://lpix.org/3725823/HypnOS_oJUZ91i7aq.jpg

Here we've got Grayson who will draw us cars for a dollar. Bargain!

The music link just sends us back to Teentopia. Next we got...

:siren: PizzaDance

Uh, this atrocity!

Pi pi pi pizza!

We've got, uh, more kids on the internet too young! Dinosaurs! Buttons that don't do anything!

Up next we've got Rebekah who, unfortunately, has SquisherZ that we can't actually collect. She just likes them.

You remember the satanic crazes of the 90s? Hypnospaces world has them too, just with SquisherZ! We can actually find her dad on Hypnospace if I remember rightly, although he's in a zone we can't reach yet.

SquisherZ! Are really cool!

We're in the presence of a SquisherZ champion themselves now.

Here we've got the actual official SquisherZ page which, RUDELY
game.

only gives us a single SquisherZ!

Well, the culprits been narrowed down to our old friend ZANE_ROCKS_14 who, as the Dumpster linked it, has those harassment comics on his page. There's also T1Ms page which is just a picture of him,

:siren: DM_NO1ZPUSH3R - Ice Cream and Booze

Like so! It's set up to autoscroll and constantly reloads itself which, while impressive. Is kind of annoying. Icecream and Booze is a good song though!

:siren: Tuba Buffet - Night Out

If you're wondering out of all the teens which one I was, I was Corey. I will not be taking further questions.

We'll get to his girlfriend in a second... I might have skipped over her for a reason.

I at least had a couple more Xs here!! I'm not feeling embarrassed, I'm not!

I'm not going to ding things yet, but this counts as a harassment violation. We can get both Corey and Zane for this one!

His joke page is, uh, I like the one about pepperONEi pizza!

The soundfx file is amazing, by the way. It replaces all my computer noises with someone making the noise themselves. And they do a sheep baa when I open a window.

The hate page talks about such grievous offences as his MOM drivng him to school... outrageous!

Let's check out... Jennifer the Nerdy Chik's page.

I, uh, OK aside from the obvious fact it's Corey, if we do a little sleuthing...

Hm......... Interesting! Also, Jennifer is listed as living in Canada. Corey literally has a girlfriend in Canada. It's the little things that make a masterpiece :allears:.

Now back to Zane and his actual page and oh my

Seepage, the band playing over his page, are basically Linkin Park if you're wondering what I'm listening to right now.

He's got lyrics typed all over the page as well.

Hey, at least he's happy that he won the award! Shame the mocking part went over his head.

Sorry, sorry!

Snotty as Zane is, he's a pretty good artist. Here's his public comic.

Actually quite funny, now that I read it again. Right, he mentioned that he has an unlinked page. Nice little tutorial from the game reminding you that if you search usernames, you might get more pages than you can find linked.

Although you might have to get a bit clever. Hm, what else could we search...

Nope, uh.

Bingo! Also a pretty funny easter egg at the bottom.

We can access the tutorial page from right back at the start when we were learning how to use CHIME. And, funnily enough,

We can claim it all for free Hypnocoin.

Have fun with this one, security team.

Anyway, we've seen his secret page. The Dumpster handily linked it for us.

Here's Jessica White, or "I_LOVE_ZANE".

It's uh

Well at least Corey tried, I suppose! Right! Flagging time!!

We're just going to claim this entire page.

I can even get rid of this, heh heh.

He updated his main page as well.

Now you see it...

Now you don't!

Achievement unlocked... brassed...

We can also ding Corey's fake girlfriend, but we can't flag her.

Right! Case closed!

Up next we've got...

This! We're here to stop people from using a new payment method called CapaCash. We also unlocked the Open Eyed zone, which is spirituality and religion themed. We'll get to that next time, but first... I'm going on a SquisherZ hunt.

Nice! Counselor Ronnie had a few hidden at the bottom of his page.

We unlocked a rap! Wow I wonder what this is

oh my it's amazing

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait it's pronounced "squishers"? I was saying it "Squisher Zee" in my head all this time.

Also I love how the enforcer tool is a literal banhammer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Squisher Zed in the commonwealth!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 8 - Open Eyed

And again, this time with feeling! Open Eyed time!

Looks promising!

This zone isn't as heavily populated as the other ones, but it looks promising.

Well! Here we are. Also I was wrong, I thought this guy might have been Rebekah's dad but no, they have different last names. He might be her cousins dad however? We'll have to see.

The later part is a particular favourite of mine. Biblical angels are amazing! Google "Angel Throne" if you want a taste, it's basically a wheel with eyes and wings.

Alright...

Nice!

I wasn't kidding about the satanic craze, by the way! I wasn't around for the satanic Pokemon craze (instead I had the GTA Hot Coffee controversy) but here it is, faithfully replicated by Hypnospace Outlaw.

On to the magic orb...

It started out rude, which is a good sign. Oh magic orb, will I make a lot of friends!

Dearest orb, I wonder if perchance I would meet some lovely acquaintances who - God willing - may become heartfelt friends?

this orb sucks

:siren: Twilight Meditation

If you remember a while back to T1M's scary, we hadn't met one of the people. Let's meet him now!

He's also offering us...

A free wallpaper! I kind of love this sort of aesthetic.

Let's meet Gus.

Seems like a nice fella.

oh

oh yeah

The tower is a little, I suppose choose your own adventure bit but it's more just a 'journey'. This stuff should be open a little later.

Gather your positive energy and set forth.

The garden's got a band! Cherubs of stone inlaid with marble veins play all the latest hits, and neat music, and even the oldies too, for folks that enjoy that. :-) Your journey is endless, so it helps to carry that music with you, in your spirit and your ears. :-) ChitChat me and let me know how it's going! I'm so glad you're joining me today. :-)

Click the arrows to turn to the left or right.

The Golden Gargantuan... the first and greatest of the old souls. He watches over the temple, guiding and keeping the many friends inside safe. Friends like you. :-)

Click the arrows to turn to the left or right.

And that's it! The very chill music really helps this place feel relaxing. Love me some wind chimes.

Oh...

...should not be treated as such within legal contexts.

This is some amazing small print. Professor Helper here MIGHT bear some resemblance to BonziBuddy. We'll get him in a second, but first we'll finish exploring the hub. His small print mentions CapaCash, which is promising.

Oh... secret time baby.

:allears:

Psychic healing from Sherri.

She's basically just an internet psychic, as you do. She does have the CapaCash tag however...

Mm! Good credentials.

Well, she's aware that CapaCash is banned by Merchantsoft. And we have the Hypnocoin to spare...

If you're smart, of course,

You can just search her username for the consultation page. If we check out her exorcism testimony...

That's uh... that's Dr. Boulder Smoulder.

Ah. I think T1M may of played a prank on Gus. I hope the consultation wasn't too expensive...

Oh jeez. Poor Gus. I think Sherri may have taken advantage of him somewhat.

Or, Alda Gallo did.

If we try using CapaCash we just get an error. Anyway! Let's ding Sherri.

Oh, we just got some hypnomail!

Oh hey, it's from Dylan Merchant, the 'whizz kid' of the Merchant brothers. If you're wondering who the other 'intern' is, it's Samantha. She's one of their programmers but I suppose they don't have anyone around right now.

We need to find more CapaCash eh, where could it be!

(it's Professor Helper)

Oh, it's SteveGuy. He made that silly sound fx that Corey liked.

Uh, whoops! This is why we need the pro version of Hypnocure. Certain pages aren't supported by the latest version of Hypnospace and we can't access them without the safe mode.

It only affects pages ported directly from NetSettler which, Merchantsoft also made. They're not very good at quality control.

i seen em

I'll let this one speak for itself.

This seems pretty far-fetched... not sure that I believe in tennis? How would it even work without a center grabber?!

And lastly we have Zaréd Ecoheart which... is an amazing name.

33 Hypnocoin is a steal! His music is very new age-y (if you can believe that) and pretty nice listening.

And that's it for Open Eyed! Just a short little hike through Hypnospace this time. Let's go back to Professor Helper. We've had two warnings about it being a scam (one from Jas and another from Reginald Roberts) but I've got a good feeling about this.

Professor Helper here! Need some help?

Hello, Professor Helper!

You are a winner! You win! You are a winner! You win! You are a winner! You win! a bell is going crazy

oh god

As a quick aside, the screenshots were loading and I just wiggled my mouse to make them load faster. On Chrome. Jay Tholen what have you done to me!

I pressed no and he went Well! Bye then! in an angry tone. Amazing.

Hm... a weeks supply of food for $49.95? Tiny bit overpriced. Also, nice, capitalizing on Y2K fear.

Boink!

Let's see what else he has.

Oh the clutter!

Hm, Dylan forwarded an email from his brother to us. Two things, Adrian can't type and also he's taking money from Professor Helper. We get the choice whether to flag here or not... and. Well! I'm going to flag!

We also, uh, got bombarded with three emails. We'll check those in a second.

And the next o-

Ugh! This stupid website gave us a virus.

Bloody thing.

Last one and, it's, ah. A cat bed shaped like a corner. "cat not included" :3:

Flag'n time!

Goodbye!

Note that the "OK" and "No" buttons have been switched.

Uh... mostly. Cool. Now to check on the FIVE emails I got.

Hahaha, at least he said sorry!

Oh nice! We got our first spam email.

Hm...!

I'll help a man get his start in life.

:)

Uh, weird bug, let's just...

There we go.

Godspeed, Dimitry!

True Tranquility. Well we've never heard of that before, so let's just...

AhrhghhhhH!!!

Ahhrhghhhh!!!!!

AhhrhghhHH!HH!HHHHH!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 15, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I appreciate your dedication in typing out your dying gurgle and then clicking the "Submit Reply" button so we could be informed of your demise / incorporation into a higher form of life.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I'm nothing if not dedicated. As a small tangent, if anyone is interested by the 'True Tranquility' idea, there's a very short horror game that reminds me very much of it. It's only about ten minutes long and is about a psychic hivemind fungus. Cool stuff!

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Hypnospace is cool. I'm glad to revisit Hypnospace.

Hot Dad made a song for the kickstarter and it's real good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usB0TZZX438

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love Zared.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yesssss I can reveal the first gang tag we have floating around the forums:

Too few people have these! there should be more--spread the Hypnospace love!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, professor helper is the best bonzi buddy knock off ever and i hate him!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
steveguy is neil cicierega, right?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure the Festering Orifice is a reference to Back Orifice, which was the first malware tool to really enter public awareness.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Chinely posted:

Much better.

If you can dig these wallpaper images out of the game's files, they scale up to a 1080p Windows background really nicely.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 9 - Ice Girl, Nice Girl

AhhhghHGHHH

OK well that's better. I probably shouldn't have followed that strange link!

Oh well, maybe a little bit faster next time Dylan!

If you're wondering if this is actually jumpscarey, no. The noises it plays are very cartoony laughs and images tend to load in quite slowly. Hypnospace Outlaw doesn't want to actually spook you, after all!

We've got a new case and a new zone, Coolpunk Paradise! The hacker is DEFINITELY NOT T1MAGEDDON, but there's also no way to link this to him, even though... it was him.

We can also close this one!

And go to COOLPUNK PARADISE!

:siren: Fre3zer - Chill It

Coolpunk is that genre that, although it's probably a reference to quite a few things, reminds me personally of Vaporwave. Some of the songs are pretty good and others, are uh. Less good. Fre3zer's song 'Chill It' is probably the most mainstream.

There's also a couple of our old friends here!

(CyberWorldZ is the competitor to Hypnospace)

Here's his band label. You at least can say that Chad is enthusiastic.

Joeman is the name of the snowman mascot for Gray's Peak.

Uh... alright. I gave his songs a listen and despite his aggressive assertion that they're fantastic and you're just a hater if you don't like them, they're actually alright. Like a club remix of a Christmas carol.

Hello Amanda! She's running a review page and talking about how handsome Fre3zer is.

She's very enthusiastic! And... hold on. No... he wouldn't...

He did!! It's just Fre3zer!! Will people on Hypnospace stop making fake girlfriends?! At least the other guys were 15.

Anyway out of annoyance I'm now leaving Fre3zer's page for last.

Hm, 18 years old and also aggressively criticizing everyone while getting angry when it comes back at him. Checks out.

Here's his music, although we saw it on the other downloads page. This one however...

Has this thirsty boy on it!

Here's the concert everyone has been mentioning about, happening in a fortnight. This page also has

Joeman he's just the best

More ads...

This page, which isn't even Coolpunk themed! And this guy doesn't know that they took digiXChange down for music piracy. Although if we search it...

We get this page from gearheadgregg talking about a new site called FLST. Might be useful later.

Or now, but we don't have a password.

And I ain't gonna buy one!

Jerry Gilroy here is fairly unique in that his Coolpunk song isn't a remix, it's him singing to a piano.

He's also got the lyrics to his song and...

because i feel like i'm shrinking, oh no, my body's melting down

will my friends ever return?

so long,

been so long,

so long

Despite the silly premise and lyrics, it's actually sang quite well. Coolpunk rocks, but it's so confusing... if only there was a guide to the music of Hypnospace!

:siren: slushmouth - Calculated Memories (another banger)

His guide is an interactive journey that plays some sample music as you go through it. It's pretty rad.

It's also more confusing than if you didn't bother, but I'll document it for all of you anyway!

Quick historical tangent!

We're on to haze now, which has several fragments!

Don't appreciate the dig at your friend and mine, Artie.

Worth nothing is while not every entry has unique music, a lot of them have music that's either rare or not anywhere else in Hypnospace.

Positively ancient.

No, you didn't make a wrong turn to Open Eyed! Tina is here to make the music fans a little less toxic. Admirable, at any rate.

Oh hey, some successes.

Uh, well, progress.

...It's something! Cheers Tina!

And that's Coolpunk! You might wonder why we went here if it wasn't really linked to any shock images. Well, Chowder Man is also in Coolpunk Paradise. And...

Come on, he even published the weird virus song under his own name! Luckily, Hypnospace has some robust enforcement tools and we can ban the image.

Sorted! Although it gave Chowder Man some violation points, despite the fact he's actually the victim here. Hm. Well, we'll sort out the other pages.

The theme is, people who T1M has written mocking things about.

So we've basically got the list right here!

Aside from Chowder Man (who isn't at his PC) everyone else is pretty upset about it.

Sorted! That should be all cleared up now. I did find a few things while doing a little sleuthing (I'd worked out to follow the digital parasites guide originally)

I'd found out that T1M has an actual site we can't reach yet, and also if we search SonOfTim (the little face thing that the virus keeps throwing up at us)

We get this! If you're worried about missing things, by the way, I am going for 100% page completion. So we'll see everything! Eventually!

It's, hm, well. I suppose I'll buy the hint anyway!

Hey!

Well, uh, thanks for the hint then! I'd managed to get them all.

Here's our next task, which we'll get to in a sec. It's to test out a new game.

First we'll close the case. And then we'll get to the game!

Sweet! Let's download it and give it a spin.

Outlaw, eh. Let's go!

It certainly is early. The music bugs constantly and sounds keep skipping.

And, it's a little glitchy.

The game is mainly about ramming in to other cars to knock them off. Or lassoing them. It's not very complete right now.

Uh...

Oh.

Oh no!

This drat thing just crashed my headband!

Come on! Can't Merchantsoft make anything right?!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 1, 2020

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Hello Goatse my old friend...

Coolpunk Paradise is a very strange place, but it's a good portrait of a minor fad that got too big and the weird obsessives that don't realise they're being exploited.

I love the worldbuilding in Slushmouth's guide. One of my favourite sites. I believe it's based on this.

Jahin
Jan 19, 2005
Fun Shoe

geri_khan posted:

I love the worldbuilding in Slushmouth's guide. One of my favourite sites. I believe it's based on this.

God, thank you! When I first ran into Slushmouth's guide I KNEW it was based on a specific real website I first visited in like 2000, but I couldn't find it for the life of me. You've solved a real mystery for me. Hypnospace Outlaw is really fantastic at emulating the very specific feeling of turn-of-the-millenium internet, it's a very special game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

geri_khan posted:

Hello Goatse my old friend...

Seriously though, is that blurry spot on the left pointy finger a ring or am I just seeing things?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I believe there is a Professor Helper uninstall tool somewhere on FLST if you don't want to spend the 33hc.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 10 - 1999.11.26

It's been weeks but the new headbands finally here!

It's not my fault, HYPII!

Well we're here, 3 weeks later. All our flagged citizens have been checked and all the zones have moved on. We've missed the Fre3zer concert too!

Corey actually got a more severe punishment.

Sorry, Abby.

And that's all the flags taken care of. Professor Helper was probably dealt with personally by Adrian, so we don't get an email. And T1M wasn't officially blamed for the hacking, so we couldn't flag him either.

Well, Dylan has now shirked his security duty and doesn't even know who's replacing him. And we've been slammed by a massive amount of cases.

Hey, we get Sam now! Sam is, unlike everyone else in Merchantsoft, competent. She's now watching incoming infractions and will create cases as we go. That's right, we're free roam now!

Ugh, Dylan

It IS possible to miss cases here, although they aren't hard to find and you can eventually go back to deal with them. You'll miss out on the achievement though.

Wow even the Outlaw page is completely messed up.

Great job, Dylan!

If a page remains completely unchanged, and some of them have, I won't bother showing them again for obvious reasons.

Oh wow, Coolfest '99 didn't go very well.

Coolfest Attendees were already on edge after a minor riot during Fre3zer's set after he was allegedly caught lip-synching.

What! Fre3zer you hack!

Analysts speculate that stock prices for both companies may rise by as much as €5 during the complex integration process. However, King Foods COO Richard Epson promises that the people who stand to benefit most are consumers. Whether it's in their home kitchens, or our state-of-the-art yet affordable Lunchcounter restaurants, our customers are the real winners here," Epson said.

Tyler Boppo was kindly escorted from the building.

Hm, a hostile merger then.

Third Party candidates have also embraced this new virtual fronteir[sic], with Traffic Party representative Jackson Jackson and independent candidate Roger Ellis committing to personally build their own presences in sleeptime some time next year.

Glad to see the world still sucks in Hypnospace.

West coast great, East coast better. What can I say, I like the rain!

And that's it for the news.

A lot of the guides have messed up images that aren't being fixed. Merchantsoft!

Back to our friends in the cafe.

Dylan has some new stuff, including competing with slushmouth.

Oop, it's under his pseudonym as well.

It's a lot less funny, and tends to have flipped opinions than slushmouths. Also shorter but hey, competition!

Aldrin almost has his website converted to a digital format. I'll post it then as it's far more readable.

Ah. I hope Chowder Man doesn't fall off the wagon.

Hey, new Gregg!

Hm... alright. A bit more random capitalization and not having a straight sequence of numbers at the end and that'd be OK...

I wonder if he follows his own advice. If so, his password would be LexingtonComputers1950. Gregg had an FLST, right?

You work in tech, Gregg! You need better security than this!

So we now get free roam to check out peoples directories. Let's have a look at Greggs. Also worth noting is the special thanks to dm (that would be Dylan) and ghg, or gearheadgregg. Gregg's a founding member!

Hello hello.

Hm, there's a load of clips and free applications. Axxelerator is one we haven't seen before. The Soupertasters is an internet radio broadcast that is literally about two guys eating soup and discussing it. Great stuff.

Oh hello, sequence breaking! The Axxelerator is something we'll eventually have to find later as Merchantsoft aren't happy about it, but thanks to Gregg we've just picked it up early. I won't reveal anything about it for narrative reasons, but this does show that if you have foreknowledge you can majorly rush through parts of this game early.

Which makes sense, considering it is supposed to be the internet! I could have grabbed a load of stuff very early but chose not to. Fun for a second playthrough though.

The Axxelerator is a double edged sword, because while it DOES make pages load in far faster it also spams you with pop-ups. Your mileage may vary but I personally find the pop-ups more irritating than the added speed and so don't have it on.

Here's Jas for the latest top tips.

Hm! Janitor, eh.

Jas also now has this cute little dragon.

Marjorie is in Starport Castle Dreamstation and she makes cute little dragons and her friends will have them on their pages.

If you can't tell, Starport Castle Dreamstation might have a few roleplayers in it.

Fun stuff.

Go away!

Anyway! Here we have some delicious potions.

I think Phaedrala here might be showing her hand a little too much, but hey. What else is the internet for if not being your real self?

Jas doesn't have a FLST, but they did give us a hot tip!

So here's our first case. This app will illegally give us infinite Hypnocoin, which is a dirty crime!

I'm only going to download it just to be disgusted at how vile free Hypnocoin is.

Welcome to Janitor for HypnOS!

And install it, just so I know how awful it is!

It's a pretty simple game where you just make big trash piles and disposal them...

Huh? You guys still here?

No! There was an infected file behind the pop-up! Eugh! Well, anyway, we have enough for Hypnocure pro now.

We can now infect ourselves if we really want, and also access unsupported pages.

Via this button. Anyway, back to Janitor!

This program shouldn't be allowed, don't scan my system to see if I have it because I don't.

Let's take it all down.

New case from Sam about this.

Pretty simple, I just had to get rid of the download link.

Funnily enough, I searched the FLST of the headband user who made janitor and look who popped up.

Hello T1M. We've got some viruses here, that 3y3 program I got last time but was encrypted with SamWich, and uh

A picture of Tiff. Great.

May as well!

Oh my god he is 16.

My window now says BUTTS, occasionally a fart noise plays and HYPII said "ow my butt" when I got the virus. Great.

You're welcome HYPII. As an aside, the AXXELERATOR pop-ups are significantly less frequent. They've probably been patched.

Then I immediately got two in a row.

Uh. Well the page looks better in any case.

It's readable now!

This page... is unchanged and still has the trial version brand? Weird.

Gregg deserves a sainthood for his work on Hypnospace.

Hm, Beefbrain Shield Pro eh.

Ah, M1nx. We've seen the name around a few times. It mainly seems to be someone that T1M is trying to impress.

Well. This is the latest prank, eh? Good job M1nx.

Hm, we've found M1nx's page but it's pretty empty. For now, anyway!

M1nx doesn't have a FLST, if you're wondering. Not for this headband ID anyway.

There's a new soundscape...

There's Howard Hewson who is still being bombarded with hypnocoin.

Tamara will have her song coming soon, trust her! If you've been skipping over thread talk, there were issues with her original song "I Choose" and so it's been patched out. But new music will be patched in!

And here we've got the latest from the Dumpster.

Jeez. This event couldn't have gone any worse, huh.

Castle Dreamport has apparently massively gone off the rails, which I can't wait until we see.

And FLST is off the rails. Let's check these out because these sound rad.

Oh hey, it's the Teentopia guy who said he'd draw any car for a dollar! I can't access the poems one (yet, I'll try again later).

oh my loving god

im out of here

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Dang, noticing quite a few text glitches here. Especially on Phaedrala's page where the titles should all be a higher res medieval-y font. Also the top of Reggie Paulson's page. The HS Guides uses text boxes as effects and those aren't meant to be messed up either, tho I'm not concerned about those. Are you using the Steam version of the game?

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I am, yes! I checked back in and

I think it was on my end, probably the constant alt tabbing or because I had a bit of a kafuffle with resizing the window. Next time I'll just restart and that should fix it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh my god that anime car.

I legit thought the glitched text was intentional. :shrug:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thankfully in a game like this stuff like that can fly! But good, I'm glad that was just a weird edge case bug. I hope it isn't super widespread. :S Thanks for checking!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Who gave Teentopia VHS rips of Utena?

It's probably a good thing there aren't that many enforcers, honestly. Some of the tricks it seems to provide could let some of the prankster-y folks or scammers go in way harder.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

God is dead, and we killed Him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, a stock price in euros? What happened to Europe in this alternative universe to make that happen?

In real life euros weren't introduced until February 2002.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I thought that maybe the United States currency uses the € symbol, because that's the symbol in CapaCash, but no the Professor Helper ads mention USD. I don't think the game ever mentions what Europe is like, but perhaps it's strong enough that it's the de-facto currency of the stock market! And also formed early!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I think it's because the Hypnocoin glyph takes the place of "$".

EDIT: When did stock prices stop being reported in eighths of a dollar again?

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 3, 2020

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
ButtsDisease will also start to randomly replace text you're typing into the url/search bars with "butts" if you leave it active for long enough!

And speaking of viruses, iirc Professor Helper has unique "I see you're [doing activity], would you like some help with that?" response lines for a lot more of the desktop apps than you'd expect. Yes, including the secret/illegal ones.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I never managed to figure out what the deal was with that accounting app. I mean, game-wise, obviously it's a way to get money if you blow everything on dragon backgrounds and can't afford something you need, but who wrote it and where are they getting the hypnocoin you're being paid with from? I thought at first the implication was that I was laundering cash somehow, but I'm completely unsure how that would even work in this setting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Whybird posted:

I never managed to figure out what the deal was with that accounting app. I mean, game-wise, obviously it's a way to get money if you blow everything on dragon backgrounds and can't afford something you need, but who wrote it and where are they getting the hypnocoin you're being paid with from? I thought at first the implication was that I was laundering cash somehow, but I'm completely unsure how that would even work in this setting.

This isn't Bitcoin where the algorithm limits how many coins exist because a majority of bitcoin clients need to agree how many coins there actually are, and this isn't a bank with high security either.
Hypnocoin is probably just a very simple counter tied to your account. All you need to do is find a way to make that counter go up without MerchantSoft noticing it and you can create money for free.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah, one of my regrets is calling the currency -coin because folks assume it's some 2010s crypto type thing when it's really more like Beenz or Nintendo Gold/Silver points or any other faux currency rewards program. Hypnocoin has no cash value and there's nothing actually backing it up, it's just funbux. CapaCash isn't crypto either, it works like paypal.

Some cartoony logic here but in Janitor you agree to work for this company as an accountant by downloading the program. In it you're given the choice to permanently delete receipts and other records and are held legally liable for your own actions - hence all the disclaimers everywhere. You get Hypnocoin for destroying 'piles' of documents but not the documents themselves. So you're effectively shredding documents of a shady company.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Yeah, that's how I read it. Which is why I didn't do anything with them, because I thought 'oh yeah, this is gonna come back to bite me in the rear end'

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 11 - Hypnospace Clean-up

Apologies to the thread, there was some minor text errors causing font to be unreadable. All I had to do was restart so, it's fixed! Anyway back to

Ahrgh! That car has death in its eyes.

The other pictures are actually pretty good, though.

Here we've got the Chowder Man's FLST, the one thing we didn't check last time.

It's... typical Chowder Man affair. But it seems like this is his way of mourning.

Checking back on his page and, ah. I wonder if he actually wrote this.

Hm.

Back to Goodtime Valley and, oh no. Abby stop posting more Goopers!!!

If you're wondering, Battle Hymn of the Republic is playing over this page.

New badge for us to use catching this HORRIFIC copyright abuse! Sorry Abby!!

Hand the reigns to me Samantha, I'll ban them all over Gumshoe Gooper. I've gone rogue!

Also this case. Hm...

Sorry Sam, wouldn't know anything about that. Yes we can just report this straight away if we want (the application links to the download page) but it's pretty fun doing it the proper way.

Hm... there might be some passwords lying around for us to find.

Bloody communists.

Well, that was an interesting if sliiightly biased history of Gumshoe Gooper. Fun!

Abby no!

I didn't want to!

This one is for being sarcastic to me, but I still feel bad.

Let's grab the Boppo's sticker pack now that we have our Hypnocoin, from somewhere.

It's pretty cute. Our desktop's a grill now!

Hello Carl, what's this about deleting?

Ah. He's got a load of points without me doing anything but hasn't been flagged.

Beefbrain. Wasn't there the mention of a similar prank beforehand...? That was also probably from M1nx?

Gratz Fred!

Scotty here looking out for Goodtime Valley.

drat, and it looks like Mavis actually managed to make a page!

Arlan is also part of the Gooper craze.

Not on my watch!

Pete has also been hit by the expired free trial. Sorry, slightly weird poems that were really irritating to capture.

Reg, also standing with Gooper. Frogluvr85, not standing for it!

Just doing my job...

We've also apparently swapped from Sandy for leader, to Reginald for leader. Presumably because he's more angry about Gooper.

Here we've got Sandy who has taken, well, the easier stance for me.

Aw. I don't know about comparing me to a security guard but I'll take the nice intent!

Also yes funnily enough, they don't care about Detective Frank.

You've got my vote, Sandy.

Especially as you've actually seen sense about beefbrain!

Yet another free trial expiration.

And checking out the general store, we've now got some cool stickers.

If you hadn't noticed, this window now says butts. The sticker pack had T1M's butt virus.

You're welcome, HYPII.

Back to Teentopia and, is that a squid? Oh yeah!

I love him... In time, my sweet.

Uh!

Well, at least Ashley has a mum looking out for her?

Let's check in on Ronnie!

He's running a contest now... nothing else is new! His weirdly wrong learning page is still up.

Tiff!

Tim! Being a dickhead! Also it seems that Smolder Boulder actually came from the exorcism first? Huh.

It's just the story we did before, but I'll bet...

Huh... no. It still swaps you on to the different path to the drink you chose. Still, it's linked on her page now!

Hello Tiff. I guess it's less weird that T1M had a picture saved if they're public, but still a bit weird.

Here's that call for help we got from Tiff.

Message from Corey...

Thankfully I was never this bad.

Sigh.

Great, we've got Zane now. It's mentioned before that ChitChat is bugged and lets people you haven't befriended message you.

Isn't he... asleep. I guess he could be wearing no pajamas but how would... alright never mind whatever. Let's flag these!

Unfortunately we run in to a problem by design. Hypnospace doesn't let us assign the points to anyone else, so Tiff has the flag.

As mentioned by Sam. Oh, don't flag her. Uh. Oops. Sorry!

Dylan being useless, great.

I'll just close some of these cases. Closing just gives you Hypnocoin and you can also move the game forward, but here it's just a formality.

As we've already received this, the next case.

Oh hey, I got them all!

Reminding you of Grayson, who had the... very artistic FLST.

Zane's broken up with his fake girlfriend. Sadly.

And, uh, Corey...?

Well, goons? What are you asking Santa for!

Adorable.

Hey, Rebekah's doing some art for SquisherZ. Pretty nice.

And uh, will be at a rapture party instead of on Hypnospace. OK.

Shontia is also being deleted. Hm... this is kind of sad!

Hm... alright, if you say so Corey.

...I like pizza dance...

Hm... I don't know if I trust Corey.

Yep! He put it back up and just unlinked it.

There's nothing more satisfying than a page you can fully claim.

Ah, the Zane/Jessica issue resolved. Too preppy.

Sorry Zane, we've got picture proof that you thought the award was real! Also casual homophobia, ah, 90s.

Now for the update to Zane's comic.

:allears:

I did some searching, and it seems like Got Game or Way Lame is actually down. For now. We didn't get a case for Corey, anyway. But we did flag him!

Let's check out a bit of Open Eyed and see if there's any changes.

Ooh, hello. Think that's Sherri!

Can't say fairer than that.

Hey, it's the guy with the horrifically bugged page.

Hm. He's not wrong.

This page...

...is still...

Under construction!

But some great tips for about this worm log.

Terry is 44.

I can't either!

Also, hey presto

It works!

It's mainly clips and the movie ones... are beautiful.

Also, free stickers.

Uh, while entering a term in the deep green page I found the HypnOS installation guide! This is actually cool and I haven't found this before.

Cool!

This is, weirdly, how I found this.

Back on track, the second portal from Gus is open.

We get some nice Zaréd music playing as we climb.

Wowie wow wow!

And it looped! Neat!

Back to Sherri and, aw. She's got a link to Gus now.

Ah. Password tips from Gregg, you say?

We can also just search for the page or use the email she gave us last time, but I want to do it the fun way.

Asbury Park, 62 years old... so she was born in 1937. Now we just need a hobby.

I guess, uh. Psychic? Prayer?

Hm, it worked!

Ah. Well. I need the Hypnocoin...

Sorry, Sherri

And I could have ignored it. Well.

More Hypnocoin for me!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Also as a note to all the cool discussion, I'll probably quote a lot of it after the LP and make a page for the archive. It's neat!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
The Zane and Corey breaking up with their girlfriends thing is obviously so they could crush on Tiff without looking like they were cheating, which really just makes the whole thing even grosser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
God, poor tiff