Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh no... this LP has beefbrain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'll admit I'm a terrible person and laughed at "help i got dead idiot on me"

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
The laptop I played this on was terrible and I literally thought the game was bugging out in this chapter. This was also the shortest chapter by far for me since I'd basically solved all of the puzzles by the time the chapter started, which made me a bit sad. There are advantages and disadvantages to leaving so many clues about everything all over the place.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like the r3ckon1ng stuff is supposed to be found later, not gonna even say why in the spoiler

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 15 - Mindcrash 2k

Hey, this isn't a friday! Well, leave me alone I forgot what day it was.

Checking out the rest of the zones... we've got Open Eyed!

New article, eh.

Not the BEAST!

Good advice! On to Gus.

I think he might be depressed.

Okay...

I think this might have been a no.

Back to the secrets....!!!!!

Oh!

Oh!!!

Well I've been watching some soap making tutorials recently, so I reckon I'll click on lyeing.

What! What a rip.

Here we have Sherri, who again has been banned. The page remains up I guess.

More hypnocoin for me!

And that's it for the new content in existing zones. Well, except Teentopia.

Which, you know, has been hacked.

There's even a page up to disable it... and it almost says Tim! I wonder if he's responsible!

The name is pretty clear, but we'll go to that later.

On to the pages!! And Ashley has DOUBLE beefbrain.

Hm.

Hm. I won't say that I wasn't negatively impacted by basically being thrown on the internet when younger with little supervision, but I don't this this is the right way.

Moving on, it looks like Ruth won! Heck yeah.

Pretty rad.

Tiff time! She's made a scary with Linda, that horror B Movie fan.

Ah. I wonder if Tim might have hacked the page to get her to notice him. Don't call people nicknames they don't like, friends.

She's taken the pictures down, but now we get MORE COOL SCARIES AW YEAH

Her page is the same, but hey, updated status!

Oh my god being a teenager on the internet... it's all coming back!!

Car guy still here. No new flist cars.

Interesting to note, flist now only thanks gearheadgregg and no longer credits Dylan Merchant.

Can't believe Zanes fake girlfriend broke up with him...

I only just noticed, you have to be 13 to be on Hypnospace but this Hypnospace promotion is for 11 and under only. Getting out of free pizza, or an acknowledgement that people under 13 are on Hypnospace? You decide!

On to the competition winner Ruth and...

Yep. She got booted off and doesn't know she won. Reminds me of something that's happened quite recently, actually, so. Fun. Controlling parents suck.

More deleted pages.

Hey, something new!

Time to play with legos.

Radical.

Oh, ouch. It was obvious but he had to double down and write a public apology. Ouch.

This page is still up... although he's flagged from last time, so I don't think it's going to do anything. I don't even need the Hypnocoin any more!

Well, it's different.

Think he might have been pranked.

Probably Tim. Mocking male femininity and being gay, oh yeah!!! It's 2000 AD!!!!!!!!

Ok, it was Tim.

This is still up though!

As is this. New article, eh.

Hm...

Ah...

Oh...

That's interesting.

Hey, looks like we found a case.

Whatever man, you're the one getting banned.

Hey, cheers Sam.

Yeah!

Wow, that's a lot of violations.

Haha, was Sam just waiting there for the flag?! Amazing.

And now his page is gone. Ah well.

On to Tim. All those who read Discworld knows that the answer is either "Me" or "The Guarding Dark", but we've also got the 3y3.

The FLESHY DOMAIN OF T1MAGEDDON! He's had an entire page this entire time.

Don't worry, we'll get an opportunity to see what it said in earlier days.

No!! Not hell!!

There's also M1nx, but we need a password first.

Ah well, let's solve this.

Easy!

Hm, it's just a way for Tim to talk to Tiff. I assume she blocked him.

Hurrah!

That's Teentopia fixed.

Uh... and a forced download?

Managed to solve the case...

Okay, there's more...

Uh!

Uh...?

for manslaughter

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh jeez, he killed five people just to get a girl to notice him.

...Unless more likely, that was actually caused by our idiot boss who didn't even realize we were un-fired.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The crash happened after a forced install of Outlaw, which was supposed to pull data from peoples' headbands, right? Yeah, I'm not blaming Tim for this one.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
If it was Tim, the system crash would have been more meaty and less... car-y.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Wait, 6 years for killing at least 5 people?

Doesn't that seem a little light, even if Tim almost certainly didn't do it?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BisbyWorl posted:

Wait, 6 years for killing at least 5 people?

Doesn't that seem a little light, even if Tim almost certainly didn't do it?

it's because he's a minor

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I am pretty sure the reason that Gus is so depressed isn't because Sherri turned him down, but rather that we banned Sherri immediately before he proposed to her, so he was screaming to the void and got only silence in return. :negative:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh poo poo. Did we get beefbrained? :ohdear:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Oh man, poor Tim. He may have been annoying, but sucks to end up being the call guy for our man child boss.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I had no idea you could get to this point in the game having discovered so little. The way the game is presented here is so much better than my experience of it; the storyline just seems to flow so well. I'm not sure if this is because this is an LP of a game Chinely is familiar with, therefore they are in control of the narrative and how or which things get discovered, or if this is how other people also experienced the game. I would be curious to know (perhaps once the storyline elements which have yet to be revealed, are) how other people experienced this game. Either way, it is presented very well. :)

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

A lot of it is narrative control - I showed off getting 3y3 right at the start and could have blitzed in to flst and m1nx, but you aren't really supposed to know how to do that first time round. My reasoning was that I wouldn't really show anything unless it made sense, or the game hinted at it.

Glad you're enjoying it though!! My first time through was so long ago that I can't really remember it, but I do remember getting frustrated and blitzing through right at the end. Not for any real reason, I had just been playing too long and was in a bad mood.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also does anyone want some Hypnospace gang tags?

There's the Zane Club or Gooper ones on the system. (Zane hasnt really gotten a lot of love)

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I will take all of them. I'm not sure how they work but gimme that

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Chinely posted:

A lot of it is narrative control - I showed off getting 3y3 right at the start and could have blitzed in to flst and m1nx, but you aren't really supposed to know how to do that first time round. My reasoning was that I wouldn't really show anything unless it made sense, or the game hinted at it.

Glad you're enjoying it though!! My first time through was so long ago that I can't really remember it, but I do remember getting frustrated and blitzing through right at the end. Not for any real reason, I had just been playing too long and was in a bad mood.

I probably would have discovered less if I hadn't discovered early on that there were secrets in the game (I'd accidentally downloaded the 3y3 in a wallpaper pack in the first chapter), but once you have that knowledge, it becomes very tempting to snoop around and read into things. I had definitely discovered m1nx by this point, and had already completed a few of the upcoming quests, which made the last bit of the game feel quite lacklustre, when it has the potential to be very exciting.

It's difficult to say whether it's a fun game or not, but it's certainly interesting. I was also frustrated when I played, but I was writing my dissertation at the same time, so I doubt the game was at fault! I think the major appeal is getting to know the different characters and their interactions. The music is also surprisingly good, I still get the Gray's Peak soda song stuck in my head.

Dash Rendar posted:

There's the Zane Club or Gooper ones on the system. (Zane hasnt really gotten a lot of love)

I've never had a gang tag. I'll give Zane some love. :dukedog:

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 20, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chinely posted:

I'm not sure how they work but gimme that

like so:

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012

Dash Rendar posted:

Gooper sounds nice, I think

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Oh hell yeah. Thank you Mr. Rendar, I've always thought Han Solo was a hack.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'll take a stand with Gooper.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chatrapati posted:

I had no idea you could get to this point in the game having discovered so little. The way the game is presented here is so much better than my experience of it; the storyline just seems to flow so well. I'm not sure if this is because this is an LP of a game Chinely is familiar with, therefore they are in control of the narrative and how or which things get discovered, or if this is how other people also experienced the game. I would be curious to know (perhaps once the storyline elements which have yet to be revealed, are) how other people experienced this game. Either way, it is presented very well. :)

In my first playthrough of the game, blind, I hadn't discovered any of the r3ckoning stuff at this point, nor had I figured out how to use 3y3, meaning I couldn't get into Tim's actual page because I lacked the True Sight TM.

It's at least highly possible to fumble your way into through this point without knowing what's going on, especially if you manage to get onto FLIST earlier than absolutely necessary - GearheadGregg has a spare copy of Axxelerator, which provides you a constant backdoor into Roddy's spine for when they tell you to stab it, without even having to puzzle through the Freelands. (Don't do it before the actual job comes up, though; that's a sequence break and actually skips you past any missions that were supposed to be tackled before it)

Dash Rendar posted:

Zane, and Seepage, are cool.

Well, no, Zane is a toxic sixteen year old but we've all been there I think.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chinely posted:

Oh hell yeah. Thank you Mr. Rendar, I've always thought Han Solo was a hack.

:hai::same:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Could I get a Zane fan club to add to my Zuarg trainwreck please?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I feel like I knew less than OP at this point in the game. I don't remember exactly what I did know, but I'm pretty sure I didn't find the leaky pipes until the next section.

I could go for a Zane tag, please

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Why is it not The Official Zane Sucks Club Badge if it still shows him getting his head cut off?

Was there a Coolpunk tag at some point?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I don't know!

and...

I don't know!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i mean, maybe the Zane tag could be ironic? like a red text av, I am sure Zane would be proud to know they flamed someone enough to have that artwork made.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Just finished a replay of this game last night. Getting 3y3 early is an interesting choice.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ruzihm posted:

Just finished a replay of this game last night. Getting 3y3 early is an interesting choice.

You can get it as early as the very first day if you poke around in Goodtime Valley and don't mind paying for an unintended virus, as the LP showed. Then it's just figuring out how to crack open the samwich.

Granted, you, like the person you get it from, will likely have no clue what its purpose is and will assume that it's just a neat spooky thing.

EDIT: I forgot the LP actually showed it off :shobon:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 23, 2020

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Huh, I'm a little surprised you didn't save the other guy, too.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I tried, but it seems to be bugged. He's been banned but his page is still up, and he's now permanently flagged.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 16 - Hindsight is 2020

Hey, weird question, do you guys remember Hypnospace? It was that weird fad from twenty years ago.

If not, let me show you.

Sorry Hypii... and after she tried to save me! So! The game now tracks what time it actually is. If this was most of this LP, you'd have seen the time was anywhere from 8pm to midnight, but I gotta be up early so I'm awake at a reasonable time!

Ugh, is this really what I thought was cool back in the 90s?

Oh, remember this dude? Alright. Let's see what we're doing.

Our last message before the crash. You're welcome, Sam.

It's 20 years later and you never learnt my name? Whatever, FrogLuvr85 will do.

Radical.

So -

Oh, it's all kicking off. Anyway! This important little dealie will track our completion. Out of 100%. And I'm going for 100%. You little gremlins better be thankful. It doesn't track some of the more jokey pages from backers and discord users, but I'll get those anyway.

I'll just upload my progress from the actual game.

Alright... fair amount. Remember this tracks redundancy, so I need to go back to pages I already visited. Let's see what else people are doing.

Books?! Oh Tamara, I'm glad you're a success. Your old hypnospace pages depressed me.

Hello hello hello.

The first one we found in FLIST at some point, so that's easy.

That sounds like one of the coolpunks, or possibly slushmouth.

I tried finding this fucker, but he wasn't in Roddy's FLIST when I looked.

It's time to solve, the Eye of Horus!

Uh... this was the guy I gave money to. Oops.

Let's see what people are up to!

If you thought Artie was playing it up on his original pages. No. He's just like this.

He's pretty much the best?

Hello Chelsea!

Standard stuff.

She a somebody now.

A somebody as a poet. Hell yeah!

Oh, it's T1m.

Poor guy. At least he's a cool dad now. Who looks a bit like me...?

Let's have a look!

Yup. Here are our confirmed victims. Tiff, Roddy and Mavis. Also Rodney, who had that funny page about secrets.

Here's a bug here - there are actually SIX potential victims. If you don't ban Zane on the final day, he dies during the mindcrash. There's also Carl Parker III, or BurnRubber50. My game seemed to bug out a bit - he had been flagged enough to be banned, but the game wasn't treating him like he was, and I got the "Five confirmed casualities" cutscene instead of four. He didn't die in the mindcrash though so, success!

Still... ouch. T1m actually killed the girl he wanted to impress.

Yep.

We seemed to have some eye damage when we woke up, so that's nice.

Right! That's the intranet all done except for one page that I'm... fairly sure I know what it is! Let's knock out some of these requests.

So using the HAP, we can now navigate to any of the three playable days. This is why I wasn't particularly worried about missing stuff out - you can't! Except for the guy who leaves on a submarine and a few of the cases, this game doesn't have missible stuff.

We can also navigate by using the corner app. This reloads the page you're on, so can be used for filling out redundant pages or seeing any changes!

Like so.

If we haven't visited a page before, we'll be told we're archiving it, in the corner. Page Get!

Right, here's chowder man.

And here's the one legged man!

That's one off the list.

Thanks Artie, you big dingus.

We can also check out all versions of his flist and uh... thanks, Chowder Man.

I'm also doing something for me. Lovesquid!

Lovesquid is pretty much the best. OK, on to lost and found 2, the lyrics of Kevv-J. Important parts are flip-flop, and some guy deleting him from a listing.

So where else do we go for being pretentious about music?

Hey, at least Inspirohaze got on the list, although that might just be because slushmouth likes the creator.

Roddy's ghost of annoying pop-up ads manages to haunt me, to the extent I got a double pop-up. I didn't even know this was possible!

Also, BWL!

Not much luck with CPColdSnap either.

Well let's gordian knot this baby.

The beat... well he's really good but it needs some editing!

Looks like this counts.

Hurray! Seems like I found it the lazy way, but ah well.

Sam... what was the point of coming onboard with a fake name?

Those of you who immedaitely guessed that T1m was being set up, well! He was! Turns out just hacking some different graphics in to a hub page won't actually kill people!

Yep. And here's our mission - to find out if the negligence was on Merchantsofts part! Now, before the Mindcrash we found one of the criteria for this, the report on Hypnospace being potentially dangerous. I showed it at that point as it doesn't actually spoil how dangerous it is, and most people assumed it was anyway. We're going to find the more damning criteria - that they knew the update was dangerous!

Oh no. The dickhead himself is on the team.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Sam again forwarding us emails she shouldn't. Love that girl.

Interesting... Anyway, back to the lost and found!

Dang. It's not here.

But through the magic of time travel...

Ta-da! I hope it brings you some comfort, Artie.

And here's the test pet! It's the eye person from his comic book. Rad.

And... it eats like this. Weird! Related to the eye though, HORUS TIME!

Still need that password. Right. Our hint here is Adrian Merchant being involved. Remember how, AGES ago, Merchantsoft had a password leak?

Well, now we can check out Tim and his pages.

It was him! And we can get some passwords.

Ta-da! Including some M1nx ones. We get to see that... slushmouth is a member?? Weird!

Anyway! Chitchat passwords. What's the bet that Adrian Merchant uses the same password for everything?

100%?

100%!

Artie was in on this? Come on Artie, you're on the team!

Sorry Sam, it literally was just a way for them to see who could hide the most Eyes of Horus in their work. On to the last lost and found... Dimitry Jackson.

Back to the ol' archives.

Well... just checked his page again. And that's the lot.

Hopefully they find the treasure that he, presumably, died getting. This is really depressing! Still. We got some passwords to M1nx...

Q: Wah Wah M1nx looks all messed up I can't read it.

A: Don't worry about it, you'll never afford the software anyway.

Jeez... what dicks! Let's bust in!

Let's go!... except this one doesn't work! Who's the least likely to change their password?

bwl

We're on M1nx! And we can browse all three dates. NEXT TIME!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is a neat way to do a "postgame". I like how it lets you revisit content with more context, and it's still tied into the story. Super impressed.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh boy our old boss still remembers that we're the one who tried to ban his rear end and is terrified that we have access still. No wonder Sam hid her name, she was trying to keep Dylan as far away from this as possible.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wanna see Dylan burn so badly!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

How expensive would a gig of internal memory be for this time frame?

Also I’m really curious to see what Dylan can do to still cover his tracks. He isn’t an omnipotent administrator anymore, but he does know the code by heart. I wonder if he has some last tricks up his sleeve to save his rear end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Damanation posted:

How expensive would a gig of internal memory be for this time frame?

Also I’m really curious to see what Dylan can do to still cover his tracks. He isn’t an omnipotent administrator anymore, but he does know the code by heart. I wonder if he has some last tricks up his sleeve to save his rear end.

1GB is decent size for the late 90's, but it's not excessive. If I recall correctly, my 2001 computer had either a 16GB or 32GB hard drive. Remember Zip drives? They were mid-90's and had capacities in the hundreds of MB.

I also assume that the storage wasn't literally in the headband itself, but instead in the box the headband plugs into. This is more like a disk drive on a Tivo than a flash stick in a Walkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

1GB is decent size for the late 90's, but it's not excessive. If I recall correctly, my 2001 computer had either a 16GB or 32GB hard drive. Remember Zip drives? They were mid-90's and had capacities in the hundreds of MB.

I also assume that the storage wasn't literally in the headband itself, but instead in the box the headband plugs into. This is more like a disk drive on a Tivo than a flash stick in a Walkman.

Then why was it only the Enforcer version that had the storage? Also, if it was a disc drive, would it really have survived 20 years of no use after its main output unit literally went up in flames?

Also x2, it sucks like hell that Tiff had to die like this, but sadly, I feel like she was the most inevitable of them all. Right at the beginning she was talking about her past epilepsy, and not even T1M paid it any mind with his flashy shaky poo poo, much less Dylan's stupid car game bricking everyone.

EDIT: Also x3 combo, T1M having (and leaking) Corey and Zane's passwords is more or less proof that he used the other two as sockpuppets to harass his crush. Yikes. He may not have ever been responsible for a murder (or four/five), but he sure was a dick of a teenager.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 1, 2020