Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
90's Me would have been gobsmacked by that "haunted" desktop background. I was using Mechanisto and POV-Ray to do 3D and it was just so goddamn hard to get anything accomplished that looked like anything much. Little things like how the house walls curve would have been a pain to accomplish.

And of course everything was dithered to hell and back to keep the color count (and therefore filesize) down as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I appreciate your dedication in typing out your dying gurgle and then clicking the "Submit Reply" button so we could be informed of your demise / incorporation into a higher form of life.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh my god that anime car.

I legit thought the glitched text was intentional. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The crash happened after a forced install of Outlaw, which was supposed to pull data from peoples' headbands, right? Yeah, I'm not blaming Tim for this one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is a neat way to do a "postgame". I like how it lets you revisit content with more context, and it's still tied into the story. Super impressed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Damanation posted:

How expensive would a gig of internal memory be for this time frame?

Also I’m really curious to see what Dylan can do to still cover his tracks. He isn’t an omnipotent administrator anymore, but he does know the code by heart. I wonder if he has some last tricks up his sleeve to save his rear end.

1GB is decent size for the late 90's, but it's not excessive. If I recall correctly, my 2001 computer had either a 16GB or 32GB hard drive. Remember Zip drives? They were mid-90's and had capacities in the hundreds of MB.

I also assume that the storage wasn't literally in the headband itself, but instead in the box the headband plugs into. This is more like a disk drive on a Tivo than a flash stick in a Walkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

Then why was it only the Enforcer version that had the storage? Also, if it was a disc drive, would it really have survived 20 years of no use after its main output unit literally went up in flames?

Good questions. I suspect the real answer here is "the devs needed a story excuse for why only you still have access to all this content" and they didn't expect us to think about it so hard. I certainly don't believe that with late 90's tech you could fit 1GB of rewritable storage onto a wearable device. Remember that the first iPods came out in 2002 with about as small of disk-based hard drives as you could manage at the time, and they were still moderately chunky (and heavy!) devices.

I suppose it's possible that the Enforcer headband also comes with an Enforcer control box that contains the storage, and they just didn't mention it for some reason. That's about all I can think of. :shrug:

As for the drive surviving, it's not impossible. As I understand it, the main issues with hard drives are mechanical failure of the moving components (not much of an issue so long as the drive isn't powered, and is stored in a stable, dust-free environment), and failure of the permanent magnets, which gradually lose strength over time. Bit rot of the data on the platters is presumably also an issue but I couldn't find stats on how quickly that happens. That will be a random process though, kind of like radioactive material breaking down. It's possible that the drive had to be run through a data-recovery process and some data is corrupted. At least all of the non-Enforcer software presumably could be archived by other users, so that's not an issue.