Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Hello dear friends, and welcome to -

Guaranteed nobody here remembers me, but I did a failed LP of Arc: Twilight of the Spirits 2 years ago! Covid-19 has inspired me to have a crack at a (much shorter) game, and what better game than this absolute gem?

What is Hypnospace Outlaw?

Hypnospace Outlaw is a bit of an odd game, but is fundamentally a style of point and click adventure game. Instead of an inventory, verbs and a character to move you navigate the game using a fairly faithful 90s era desktop and internet browser. The game has a rather interesting story and, unlike the mocking attitude to that era I was expecting, is actually quite gentle and faithful to the era of internet posting.

The game is about 4-10 hours long depending on how long you take, and if you're interested by my early preview trust me, it's good the entire way through and you won't regret buying and playing it yourself!

Is this game stupid?

It's silly, but not at all stupid. It's a very earnest and lovely tribute to the 90s Internet, good AND bad. The premise of the game is that you're a player moderator for Hypnospace, a fairly new development of dream technology that allows people to use the internet while they sleep. Hypnospace is competing with a similar platform that offers better gaming choices, and is struggling from a lack of moderation and growing discontentment from its core userbase of nerds. As a moderator you use a special client that disables you being able to communicate with anyone in the interest of safety, so while people can message you, you can never reply.

How is this LP going to work?

This will be a screenshot LP where I'll try and capture some of the more fun gifs. This game has a pretty good soundtrack with some absolute bangers, but I won't be ripping and posting the entire thing as it's currently for sale on Steam. I'll try and link some of the more memorable songs from YouTube.

Currently the LP posting schedule will be... Never! Until my pc is fixed in a few weeks. After that, It's fixed now, so every Friday to stretch out the LP until the new update! was on depression hiatus, now back on!

Spoilers are a complete no-no. This game is all story, what are you playing at! If you absolutely must discuss something going to happen, you can spoiler tag it, but I'd rather you not discuss entire plotlines because the temptation will always be there for people to read them. If you want to discuss easter eggs or the sillier things, or you feel I've missed something, go for it and I'll try and show them. Now...

Let's enter Hypnospace!

---

Update 1 - Creating our HypnOS Login
Update 2 - Exploring Hypnospace
Update 3 - The Good Stuff
Update 4 - Copyright Culprit
Update 5 - Golden Oldies
Update 6 - Scaries!
Update 7 - Harassment in Teentopia
Update 8 - Open Eyed
Update 9 - Ice Girl, Nice Girl
Update 10 - 1999.11.26
Update 11 - Hypnospace Clean-up
Update 12 - The Freelands
Update 13 - The Axxelerator
Update 14 - The New Year
Update 15 - Mindcrash 2k
Update 16 - Hindsight is 2020
Update 17 - Outlaw v1.0

--

Chinely fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

THIS SPACE RESERVED

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 1 - Creating our HypnOS Login

Greetings my friends, and must I say how handsome and correct you are to join me on this journey through HypnoSpace. First things first, we need to create our login. This game is set in 1999 and so we need an... appropriate name.

An important thing to note that won't be shown through this LP is that the game will use your own computer systems default voice to speak to you. So I will get the default Microsoft voice calling me "Frog Lover 85" every time it speaks to me. As it should.

Oh, you thought I was being abstract when I said we got a desktop? Oh no, this game is literally controlled through an emulated 90s desktop. This little fella even rotates.

This desktop will be customized by me later. I might take some requests on what style you want me to replicate as it can get pretty... faithful, to the original desktops of the era. For now we don't have much in the way of customisation.

This game has several fun little touches, one of which is that if you leave your desktop idle it'll display a screensaver. I'll be pointing out the ones I know about as we go, but feel free to mention these as they appear.

Up here we've got the settings, which includes both simulated settings for our desktop and the actual settings for the game.

I've done us the favour of choosing an uglier wallpaper and a more irritating screensaver. You're welcome.

Controls is basic, what you'd expect. Just showing this so you won't wonder if anything fun is there.

And the final part, which would let me put mouse trail on max if I wanted. Which I don't, funnily.

This is the apps menu, which contains nothing of use currently. The chest in the bottom left is our launcher, where we can put apps we find later. Right! Let's get started on that tutorial!

The future...

Is YOU.

Your PASSION.

Your IMAGINATION.

Your HARD WORK.

And now, with the help of HypnoSpace...

You have the tools - and the time! - to make it a reality.

Witness the dawning of a new world!

Where sleep time, is no longer downtime.

It's where the future is built.

A future built by you.

HypnoSpace.

Welcome, to HypnoSpace Patrol Department Enforcer Training.

After that lovely video it's time for us to learn how to do our job.

Thank you for volunteering to keep our wonderful community of Hypnospace citizens safe. HypnOS Enforcer Edition is different from the standard version of HypnoOS in several key areas. This tutorial will guide you through everything you need to know to best serve your fellow Hypnospace Citizens and earn HypnoCoin along the way. Let's do this.

Right, I'll run through all the tutorials. They're quite funny as several parts are recorded by an intern with a far lower quality microphone, instead of the professional voiceover that most of it has. I'll distinguish it by putting the intern in italics. Let's learn how to use HypnOS! Feel free to skip most of this once you get the jist, this is genuinely the games tutorial that I'll be documenting for those who are interested.

Direct your attention to the top of your desktop, and you'll notice the HypnOS InfoBar. From left to right, this handy toolkit features quick ac- TO, the SETTING MENU.

THE QUICK SWITCHER.

The APPLICATION MENU. The current date AND time, your HYPNOCOIN bonus. The restart and the log off buttons. Make sure to click the log off button to save your PROGRESS, and safely exit HypnOS!

The info bar may be repositioned anywhere along the top or bottom of your Desktop.

That's tutorial 1 done. If you noticed from my rapid switching, the intern recorded over some of the original dialogue. It's amazing.

HYPII, also known as the Hypnospace Intelligent Intermediary is your digital helper. He'll notify you when you receive important messages, and even alert you to new HypnOS system updates. HYPII is always happy to help!

Here's a useful tip: Right-click any text in Hypnospace and HYPII will read it outloud. [In the background and said by someone else] that's good enough.

Time for 02, CHIME Laws.

CHIME is an easy way to remember the five types of violations we'd like Enforcers to keep an eye out for:

This is the main gameplay mechanic. We'll be looking for these violations and flagging them. Next on to 03, the HSPD Inbox.

The HSPD Enforcer Dashboard is a special, secure program that only our volunteer Enforcers have access to. The Inbox allows you to receive messages from Merchantsoft, Hypnospace or HSPD Dispatch agents.

You may also receive automated communications from Hypnospace pages. Some messages come with files attached,

Most of your time will be spent on cases assigned to you by an HSPD Dispatch agent. Cases are generated in response to Hypnospace citizens or leads from the Hypnospace Security Team.

Once a violation has been found, the offending citizen's name will be listed here. Click to jump to the page to- to where the violation was removed from (???)

Once all reported violations have been found in a case, you may close it by clicking the close case button. Upon closing a case, you will earn a payout of 5 Hypnocoins per violation reported.

Time for 05. Only one more tutorial to go!

The version of Hypnospace Explorer you'll be using has been modified with an expanded search feature.

enabling you to find unlisted pages by searching for the tags that they contain.

use the stamp system to keep track of which pages you've visited.

Use the stamped page list to revisit stamped pages.

Hypnospace's citizens place the pages they've built in our themed Zone communities. You will be given search and browsing access to Zones

ONLY if you've been assigned them by a Dispatch agent. Your assigned Zones will be listed in the HSPD Access Hub.

This information is only viewable by HSPD Enforcers or Hypnospace Security Team members, and may not be shared.

Last one!

Your version of Hypnospace Enforcer has also been modified to include an enforcement tool. If you spot text or images that appear to be in violation of CHIME, first click the enforcement toolbar.

If a citizens content has found to be in violation of CHIME, they'll accrue violation points, and you'll receive hypnocoin.

To promptly alert the Merchantsoft Security Team. They'll promptly review the flag to determine if further disciplinary action is necessary.

Because you may be asked to report on citizens engaged in malicious, harmful or illegal activity your former account will be temporarily deactivated. You may not send messages or other outgoing communications to HypnOS citizens for the duration of your volunteer service.

Right! That's the tutorial done. Upon leaving...

We get an important message from Merchantsoft, followed by a second from Dispatch. We'll have to check these out! Next time!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 23, 2020

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 2 - Exploring Hypnospace

Hello friends. How was your day? Good to know. Mine? Uh, so, anyway, Hypnospace! Let's actually try exploring this time. Oh, and for people who saw that this game will mimic booting an old PC on launch and wondered what happened if you held B to launch BIOS -

You get this cool little BIOS screen with some more indepth settings! This game has a load of cool little things. For one, the game will actually simulate a memory leak. If you have the game open for a few hours it'll start to slow down and pages will take longer to load. You can also shake your mouse when a webpage loads and it'll load quicker.

I might have a little fiddle around with the BIOS options later but for now, it's time to check dispatch.

Copyright infringement? Oh, you thought we'd be stopping people selling drugs over the internet or stopping some harassment? Not a chance, we work for Merchantsoft (no relation to any existing real company).

This fella is Gumshoe Gooper, a comic and cartoon from years ago. The alternative universe features are pretty light in Hypnospace, mainly concerning internet dream technology and media. There's some more significant stuff but it never really becomes a big plot point.

We also got an automated welcome email from Merchantsoft, specifically the founders Adrian and Dylan. Adrian is the businessman and CEO of the pair, and Dylan is the programmer/artistic side. We'll meet them more indepth later.

Let's go!

Here's our homepage. The little music player in the corner will autoplay pages music, and true to life on the early internet a LOT of pages will autoplay music when you open them.

As we're a good Hypnospace Enforcer, let's check out the handbook first before getting in to any of the good stuff.

These pages and the links follow a large majority of the gameplay. Each one brings us to a page, and the view counter only tracks our views to let us know if we've been on a page before or not. From there it's mainly following in page links or, if you're smart, using the search function to find unlisted pages that are hinted at within the page.

The handbook mainly goes over the tutorial stuff again and I'll save you the pain of having to read all that again.

Except this part, which is a description of what happens if someone is temp banned following you flagging them. Read only and they'll constantly be advertised to during their sleep.

Hypnospace Central now. This contains a bit more of the story around Merchantsoft, and is uh

hideously decorated.

What's that you cry? More tutorials!!!! (don't worry it's actually an in-story explanation now)

:siren: Tuba Buffet - Brass Shade (if a song is a banger, like this one is, I'll link to it on YouTube)

If you're wondering, yes everything is horrifically animated on this page. There's too many animations for me to capture them all without making this LP take up 30 gigs. However I will let you see the majesty that is the HYPNOSPACE OFFICIAL GUIDE GIF:

ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS

This video mentions why the game talks about keyboards, mouses and clicks despite this all being in your mind while you sleep:

It's virtual! You simply pretend that you're using a keyboard and Hypnospace will react like you are. If you think this sounds like it might be difficult to control, well. You saw that one of the regions open to us is for the elderly. Prepare yourself.

Interesting. Now what is hypnocoin?

Well, this, but also

It's basically an early version of 'points', and we can use it to buy screensavers and hotdog stickers for me to abominate my desktop with.

Now this is the travel guide that features the first song from CHOWDER MAN, a washed up celebrity that has signed a deal with Merchantsoft. He's played by hot dad and, as brought up by someone else, his songs are fantastic. We'll get to some of his tracks in a bit.

This... hard to read guide "allegedly" written by some "sitcom" "dork" is some fluff about the US of Hypnospace.

It certainly wasn't edited by anyone.

Historic bathrooms!

Pool tables!

The Tallulah Promise!

It's literally just a copy pasted email! I'm not american so I have no idea if there's some jokes I'm missing outside the obvious, although I did google Tallulah Falls and found out it's a town... in Georgia.

Back to Hypnospace central, and a really nice feature: it tracks views on the pages, even if you didn't access them through the portals themselves.

News of the day and we're already being told that Y2k won't be an issue, so thank god.

...Merchantsoft CEO Adrian Merchant was particularly confident in the ability of his company to weather whatever threats may come. "Our culture is enthralled by the idea of some faceless apocalypse," Merchant said, "so I want you to look at the faces behind me. THis is just a small portion of our hundreds-strong support and maintenance team. I have complete confidence in their ability to tackle any, minor issues that may arise due to the Year 2000 rollover."

The support staff grouped behind Merchant waved.

This reporter, waved back.

I hope you guys are good at spotting propaganda, because this is a tricky one!

SquisherZ, which is similar to Pokemon except everything is made out of horrific goop and eats each other, are great. The article also mentions Taurus & Mutela: X but sadly they won't be quite as prevalent as SquisherZ! Are really cool!

Hughes is opening pre-sales of his Presidential memoirs this Friday at 8 AM EST.

Now some politics for your fun videogame LP.

Here's the Hypnospace US which, as far as I can tell, is the same as far as borders go. I assume those are missing lines and not that the US has fewer, larger states.

Also they play Trennis, which is similar to Tennis except there's a ball catcher in the middle and it's played with three people.

Next an advert for Hypnocure, an antivirus. Plus isn't at all worth it, but we'll be buying pro at some point to unlock the "Safe Mode" browsing tool, which is necessary for some bugged pages.

Touching tomorrow... together.

NetSettler was their old version of Hypnospace and, as you'll see here, a back handed insult at "techies and whizz kids".

Adrian might be a bit of a dickhead, and might be the one who dictates what goes on this page.

The partners page just mentions who you'll be seeing advertised non-stop, and this page hints that things might change in time. Spoiler: they do.

Last part of Hypnospace Central and we're going to make some cold, hard, hypnocoin!

Oh hell yeah, 11 Hypnocoin.

Let's have a look...

WITH HYPNOSPACE, THE EASIEST SLEEPTIME SOCIAL NETWORK, JUST KEEPS GETTING EASIER

"EVEN MY GRANDPA USES IT!"

"IT'S EASY AS PIE!"

"MY KIDS GOT ME IN TO IT!"

WITH OUR NEW HYPNOSPACE GUIDES, YOU CAN NAVIGATE HYPNOSPACE WITH THE DIRECTION OF TOP EXPERTS

FOR MOVIES, GAMES AND MUSIC TO CARS AND SPORTS

WE'VE GOT IT ALL!

"HYPNOSPACE IS AWESOME!"

WE'VE SPENT OVER 1 BILLION DOLLARS MAKING SURE HYPNOSPACE CITIZENS

"I WAKE UP FEELIN' GREAT!"

...MERELY SLEEPING?!

"JUST BECAME A WHOLE LOT OF FUN!"

"FOR A BUSY PARENT HYPNOSPACE IS AMAZING!"

TAKE OUR 30 DAY NO RISK TRIAL AND LIVE YOUR DREAMS ON HYPNOSPACE!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 25, 2020

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Eye of Horus? I'm not sure what you're talking about, friend. That's just a normal skyline in Hypnospace and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 3 - The Good Stuff

Hello again friends. Let's actually read some non-Merchantsoft pages for a change... Eventually. We've got the survey and something else to do first.

Ah... pretending that I have money. Truly this game is a life simulator.

Oh, my God. It keeps going.

Fun LPer fact for you.

Why... why is this getting gross?!

Oh my God

Well that was awful. Moving on, I just remembered I didn't show you the rest of the Merchantsoft team.

We've seen these two, but we can check out their pages.

Adrian's page is barely set up but we CAN

look at his data and find out he's 42, and Merchantsoft is based in San Francisco.

Dylan has an actually set up one.

He's the actual programmer who made Hypnospace and is responsible for most of the apps you use.

...Adrian is a balding stiff who knows how to make a deal or two. He's well aware of this dynamic and has made peace with it. :P

In all seriousness, Adrian is a great guy and I'm fortunate to have him as a brother.

He's also weirdly insistent about only listening to legally acquired music. Not at all related to him saying "he's been tamed" and also he never once downloaded illegal music how dare you say that.

We also see the first instance of a tag, in this case the HS_TechClub. If we click on this...

It'll automatically search the term for any pages with this tag. Useful, but searching is far more powerful than this. For example if we search, say... a random term that has no bearing on any strange symbols people have allegedly been seeing...

You'll find a related page!

We'll need to do some puzzling to work out passwords for some of the things in this game, so we'll leave this for now.

Quickly going back to check out Dylan's music page will have some links that you can actually click on to download the songs.

:siren: DM_NO1ZPUSH3R - Ice Cream and Booze

True to the virtual desktop style, we've got a version of that .HSM player Dylan made. Songs you're playing on this will pause the music playing on pages, so I never really used tunebox much. But it's cool, and you can acquire some songs that don't play anywhere else.

Next on we've got Roddy and Samantha, who are the most senior programmers after Dylan.

Roddy is amazing

You'll notice that the 5th line in his citizen data, 06_STARPORT CASTLE DREAMSTATION, refers to a hub we don't have yet. While you can reach the pages on hubs you don't have access to early, you have to do so by searching or links.

Samantha unfortunately has a rather straightforward page. She does however seem to have a combination of tech savvyness and professionalism that so far nobody else at Merchantsoft has, so that's nice!

We are... PASSION PEOPLE ... driven by unfettered ... VISION ... and a commitment to... DEDICATION

is the creed at the bottom there. What a strange creed, I wonder who

:siren: Chet Pinehurst - Earth Our Home

Oh well that solves that question.

Artie is also great. And finally...

:siren:Chowder Man - I am the Chowder Man (WARNING: CLICKING ON CHOWDER MAN SONGS IS NOT OPTIONAL)

I'll just let Chowder Man speak for himself. Literally!

Chowder Man is just the best.

A really nice touch of the game is that if someone has a merch page, you can usually actually buy things on it. For example -

Much better.

There's also his timeline that I'll just write out for you:

The birth of the Chowder Man

The Chowder Man's momma buys him a guitar.

The Chowder Man's first band: The Badd Crowd

The Chowder Man's parents help him start Chowder Entertainment, his own personal record label.

"If We Wanna" - Chowder Man's classic debut album, is released. The single "Jackin' Round" reaches spot 8 on the Swiss music charts. Chowder man is commissioned to write the legendary Gray's Peak Anthem.

Chowder Man famously purchases his custom "Chowder Copter." His single "The Chowder Man's Hotel Room" reaches #2 on the USA rock charts. Chowder Man's record "Lookin for Trouble" goes gold in Switzerland.

1987-1991
Chowder Man's "Mountain Roar" (1989) and "The Zone" (1991) albums are recorded and released. Fans love them!

1991-1996
Chowder Man takes some much needed time off to focus on his health and family.

Chowder Man resumes writing music. He produces jingles for some of the largest brands in the world.

Chowder Man is hired by Adrian Merchant to help produce quality music for Hypnospace's Partner Brands. In late 1999, he finally returns to rock and roll with his new band, KRUNCHER!

Inspirational. Let's mosey on down to the cafe.

We've already been on a few of these pages as they were linked elsewhere, but the Cafe is the 'default' hub and mainly has new accounts and people discussing music, including the brand new hit sensation, COOLPUNK!

And by that I mean, Barnaby's Chair! This was the band that Samantha mentioned on her page, and they're pretty good.

:siren: Barnaby's Chair - Satellite Orchestra

What cool, irreverent 90s bad boys. They're owned by Esotonic Records (also has a partnership deal with Merchantsoft, there's a bit of a theme!).

Next on we have an advertisement for Chitchat, which is, unsurprisingly, just AIM.

Unfortunately as we're enforcers, we're completely unable to use Chitchat.

So luckily none of you will be forced to watch me talk to people from the 90s. Unless I LP Emily Is Away, anyway.

Next along is this mysterious page! If we try searching the username...

We can find the unlinked version.

It's a site for making GBS threads on people who aren't very internet savvy. Hm... that sounds... familiar.........

It should surprise no one that Hypnospace's oft-loathed 'Bubblegum' template lies at the heart of this oddly adorable atrocity of a page.

Hey. Reggie. Level with us man, what were you thinking here? At least bump that placeholder graphic down a few pixels so your three visitors can actually read about your wife or whoever.

We can visit his page and yes

it is hideous.

But, as the Dumpster mentions, incredibly endearing.

:3:

Teentopia again is a hub we can't visit yet, but! We can look at the linked page.

Oh hell yeah. Let's check out his first comic.

And the voters decided... SEEPAGE has... GOT GAME. no real surprise here *grins*

Those of you in your 20s-30s will surely be getting horrific flashbacks right now.

As will this!

Love a bit of casual internet cruelty. Let's round out the Dumpies (1999).

A little run down before we reach it proper, Coolpunk is similar to Vaporwave in that it's the remixing of adverts and corporate jingles to make a distinct style of music. In this case, an old soda campaign.

:siren: Chowder Man - Gotta Climb Gray's Peak

Yes, this page is giving my cursor a snowflake trail.

Back to the Dumpster to read the other articles, we've got an archive link that doesn't work

This review for .HSMs which is CLEARLY wrong because

:siren: Pizza Dance

This song bops.

As much as I hate to say it, the Dumpster is actually quite funny.

Perfect.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

NewMars posted:

So, I've been noticing the clock in the upper area of the screen. Is the game on a time limit/filled with timed events? Because while this does look amazing, I hate games that are like that.

Don't worry, that's just world building! I was worried about this too but no Hypnospace Outlaw is not timed outside of two segments that are a) short b) you can go back later and c) are extremely obvious that you're getting in to it, and there's no failing them. The time isn't 1:1 either, I've spent far longer ingame than the hour and change it's showing.

Also! One thing I really want to encourage, and that we've had a bit of, is you 90s kids telling me what the game does to remind you. I was born in 1995 and so I'm juuuuust a little too young to have been on the 1999s internet (we got dial-up in 2002 as well), and while the 2005s internet was similar in a lot of ways it's not quite the same. Keep it comin' folks.

also, update (maybe 2 if none of my friends are about) today

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 4 - Copyright Culprit

Hope you're doing well, friends. Let's all go on the Internet some more.

Last time we learnt how useful the search tool is and saw that Hypnospace is home to some, interesting individuals. Let's check out the rest of the cafe.

Aldrin's House of Sound has er, unfortunately, just 1:1 scanned his old articles and posted them as a page.

It's pretty unreadable!

You can go in to the articles if you like, and we've got here a tip page for new HypnOS users. Let's see what we can get!

:3:

More tips! I never realized how much this game tells you how to play it when playing it casually, but it does make a lot of sense. Hypnospace is new and has a lot of un-tech savy users.

The only sticker we have at the moment is that rotating Hypnospace icon, but don't worry. We will get more. The third tip is just how to place stickers, but!

As I mentioned earlier, this is no joke. Pages do genuinely load significantly faster if you wiggle your mouse. I do it intuitively so if I ever record myself playing, you'll see me wiggling it about.

Gregg does have a lot of really useful tips, such as the HypnOS Error Messages.

HXX0XXX - Your Hypnospace Headband hardware has been damaged.

--> Link to my SamWich Encryption info page.

We've yet to see a SamWich encrypted file but they will start popping up to hide the 'juicier' things we can find.

For those who wondered if the internet exists outside of dreaming, yes! Merchantsofts version is NetSettler, and Hypnospace is just that but you're asleep.

That's right, we're on the boring version of the sleepternet.

Weird untested technology to dream the internet might be unsafe! Shocking!

Weird creeps can just message you on ChitChat without your permission. Suddenly not that upset that we can't use it.

For those of you interested in playing this game for yourself, a) do and b) don't worry too much about unlisted pages, searching and all that. If you're anxious the game will lock you out of completing it, it's very generous with making sure you aren't left behind as long as you read everything you have access to.

If you're still worried, there's this!

If you search for hints, you get the actual games hint guide. For hypnocoin it'll give you hints on how to progress through the story. This is the only way of finding this page and because you have to actually look for it, it's pretty straight up immersion breaking. But it's there if you need it.

There are also slightly less immersive pages that are put up by backers and discord users. I'll be documenting these after the games story is done, so don't worry.

Back to Gregg and we'll get the rundown on the music files.

...to legally share files with one another.

Struggling with illegal music sharing, eh. Oh the problems we used to have. That's it for Gregg for now, so on to Jas!

Jas is absolutely lovely and will update their page about good tech projects, so it's worth coming back to.

Worth noting for a bit of world building, Jas has the "HS_Lifestyles tag" and a rotating rainbow flag on their page.

So to us it's fairly obvious Jas is gay but uh. This game is set in the 90s and you couldn't really just broadcast that in public. So what I'm saying is be kind to each other.

Also they did genuinely give the picture 5 shells which is adorable.

Eh, what's this?

SCG is a little app we can download that gives you some ambient noises as we mess around with Hypnospace. I never really used it but in the interest of this LP, I'll whack the spooky noises on in the background and tell you how it is.

Horrifying.

DON'TNATE

Howard here has some tips for all you goons out there who haven't got their life together yet.

This was probably the first point when I was playing the game originally that I went "Oh, that's weirdly lovely and sad." Get used to that feeling, Hypnospace Outlaw is aiming for that far harder than it's aiming for "wasn't the 90s funny!"

Last but not least we've got Tamara Frost.

Keeping up with the cafes main theme of art and music, Tamara is a poet. She's actually got a spoken word poem you can listen to

er, I guess, eventually. It's called "I Choose" and I actually quite like it but it's impossible to find and isn't on the OST.

:siren: Tamara Frost - Gray's Peak Coolpunk Spoken Word

You can see her Coolpunk page though, and our first show of Coolpunk music.

She's also got some of her written poetry up there. I'm a sucker for some poetry, so here's the entire thing.

If you know how to get your poems accepted by mags/journals, PLEASE ChitChat me! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!

Plus her "about" section. Which is also depressing me. Onwards!

Now with the Cafe done, we're on to Goodtime Valley. Who's ready to talk to the elderly!

:siren: Small Town Kid - Front Porch

Pages here are mainly advertisements (for some reason) and middle aged people talking about the good 'ol days. Let's check out Abby.

That should be dread you're feeling right now.

Quick detour to her 'Hypnospace Heaven' page. It's a memorial for the deceased.

If you think, "is my first task as Hypnospace Enforcer in this game really to copyright claim a grieving widows 1st Grade art page"

The answer is yes. Merchantsoft baby! (and no, if you're wondering, there's no way around it. Nobody else has Gumshoe Gooper art on their pages.)

Except, you can be extra nasty...

and claim the actual artwork itself. Hypnospace!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 27, 2020

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Did I??? Oops. No I just really like that game haha, let's change that back. Cheers!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Oh man. Hello Mr. Conana! Sorry for ruining your game by doing lame commentary over it! But thank you for it also!!

I'm glad to be getting more Tamara. I feel everyone that plays this game has a few posters they get attached too (outside of the big story relevant ones, anyway), and she was one of them for me.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 5 - Golden Oldies

Hope you're doing well my friends. After that mortifying experience of us having to do something ethically gross in order to keep our (volunteer) job, let's, uh

Not copyright claim the rest of these things! We'll be back, but this is the main way to progress the story. There's been some thread concerns that the game was timed and this might interfere with their enjoyment, but never fear. CHIME violations and solving cases is the way to push the story forwards and make time progress in Hypnospace Outlaw, so we're just going to explore the rest of the zones first.

Mm... delicious!

Well... we've got the coin... if people really want me to be hotdog themed I'll come back and make my desktop hideous.

:siren: Guy Master Cool - Gamer Fortress (Leather Jacket Man on OST)

Oh gently caress yeah!

Hm, beefbrain you say. Well, they are untested. I have to say from my personal stance, this kind of page would have mortified me when I was a teen but now

I am unironically 100% on board. Next up is, uh, another advert but we do get a song from Hot Dad!

:siren: Chowder Man - Granny Cream's Hot Butter Ice Cream

*Lucille Hutcheson not pictured.

This is a banger of a track but I'm... confused about what the product is?? It seems to be ice cream mixed with hot butter, then frozen again, and then you can microwave it to heat it up. Wouldn't that... be atrocious? What is this?? What is it!!! Ahrghh!

A little memo from our

who is, uh, here. Hi Scotty!

Let's have a look at, uh, oh no

So remember when I spoke about how Hypnospace might not be the most intuitive thing to control!

I think Mavis needs a bit of help! We've just covered about twenty different tutorials Mavis, I hope someone can direct you to them.

Off to- oh! This is the fella that the Dumpster was making fun of.

Here's some non-American background for you. That whole idea of 'Oh, I'm 1/4 Irish' is pretty uniquely American (which makes sense, being the land of immigrants and all.) If it leads to charming wizard art then I'm all for it. Let's see how Arlan is doing.

if you ever meet me, you may be surprised to learn that I am actually in a wheelchair. A car accident left me without the use of my legs at the young age of 22 years old. Well thats life as they say.

When I first got to Goodtime Valley I was honestly dreading that it was going to be a bit racist (or at least very nationalistic) and kind of horrible. And there is some of that! But it was just a lot of people past the prime of their life being incredibly earnest, and unfortunately it ended up hurting them. It's a bit of a running theme in this game. And, I suppose, the early internet.

Well, there'll be none of that with Pete's Love Poems!

His poems will write and unwrite themselves and it makes them incredibly hard to catch. Your boy FrogLuvr85 managed it though. Pete also has the beefbrain image just off screen.

Worth noting is that our next fella, Reg. is one of the few Hypnospace citizens to have violation points without you causing them.

RR Ranch! There was a link from Arlan to some of his work, and this is where it ended up.

Reginald how dare you besmirch the good name of the Cafe, I love everyone there

He is however, ah, doing a scam watch. It seems Hypnospace despite seemingly incredibly professional has very poor security and user care. Still, Professor Helper... seems... familiar...

Oh, yeehaw.

:911:

Abby here asking for Sandy to become lea-

NO!

NO!!

You've got Hypnomail!

Ooh!

Hurrah! We can stop flagging Abby now! Except we won't because you get more Hypnocoin for tagging all her posts!

Ah, and we've unlocked our next hub, Teentopia. We'll go there after we're done checking out Goodtime Valley and upsetting a lovely 1st Grade teacher.

Next up is future president of Goodtime Valley, Sandy.

We'll check out that humour page in a bit.

Looks like Goodtime Valley is really upset at the Dumpster for that mocking article. The article was honestly pretty tame, but when it gets a response like this...

I am open to ChitChat with anyone and everyone. Feeling down? Having a rough day? Please drop me a line!

Ok this was lovely enough that it made me email my mother asking how she's doing during lockdown. Thank you Hypnospace! Let's go for some old fashioned humour.

oh god we have to flag more gooper

(as mentioned earlier, Sandy doesn't have enough Gumshoe Gooper on her page for you to flag her. You have to go after Abby.)

Detective Frank just LOVES carbonara.

And finally, some wisdom for the kids...

Kid, there's NO

Love it.

Wow, they don't care about Detective Frank!

Business as usual for Gumshoe Gooper.

Hello Bobby!

Lying a little bit about your age I see!

The links are broken, if you're wondering.

And lastly, Terry's GENERAL STORE!

Your friend and mine Reg warned us that these stickers have a virus. Well, I love living on the edge...

A lot of people say thanks to Gregg for helping them with their pages and it's honestly very sweet.

we do not acept Capa Cash... thank you to Randys Scam Watch for the warning. IT IS A SCAM

A... hm. A scary eye, you say...

As an aside, one thing I've learnt doing this is if you idle on a page with a lot of animations it starts getting major slowdown and the music starts slowing down as well. Memory leaks!

TERRY'S HALLOWEEN STICKERS AND SCARY EYE PACK!

Hell yeah.

Oh no!!!

He's eating them all!

We've got our first virus! Our launcher keeps eating all our icons and throwing them up all over our page. We need some hypnocoin fast to get hypnocure!

Sorry Abby!

This is the end of the line for you, Gumshoe Gooper.

Dash Rendar is right, this really does get easier.

These are pretty cute. Free hypnocoin thou-

Learn how to draw, kid!

Now that we've got enough violations on Abby's account, and I've dinged all her Gumshoe Gooper posts,

Oh, this is new.

Ah. Oops.

Sorry, Abby. It's over to the Hypnospace Security Team now.

Time to close this case!

When my launcher throws up the email inbox, anyway.

Case closed!

Thanks, HYPII! Now we have the Hypnocoin to get some decent antivirus.

We'll be getting pro eventually, but for now we just need the ability to get rid of viruses.

Note for those wondering, the viruses aren't actually harmful or anything. If I click on the Launcher it opens normally and lets me select the program I want.

Hunger no more, Launcher. Hunger no more.

Right, next time... we get to see that teens are the real monsters.

Chinely fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 28, 2020

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 6 - Scaries!

Hello lovely people. I hope you're ready to talk to some teens because our next drop is Teentopia!

Uh, well, it's trendy.

Got to love that the first result on Teentopia is an advert.

Here we are! April the Angelic Hamster. She's a virtual desktop pet you can get that I'll hold off on for now because they're SUPER annoying. You have to constantly spend Hypnocoin on them to keep them fed in a way that's clearly supposed to be predatory on kids scared that their pet will die. Merchantsoft is kind of gross, if you weren't getting that.

And, if you're wondering what that shape is...

:siren: Chowder Man - SquisherZ Anthem

SQUISHERZ!

You remember the Pokemon craze of the 90s? It's SquisherZ, baby! Gotta rescue them all!

I will naturally be posting the rap once we get it. It's... well, it exists.

Back to some virtual pets tips. There is a specific thing we'll need them for, and I could use one right now to get something you're not supposed to have until much later early, but I won't for the sake of narrative. I'll point it out when we get to it, though!

Hm... this alert is suspicious...

Hm... (this icon is the SamWich encryption file, by the way)

Hello Ashley! If you can't tell, Teentopia might be poorly moderated. Ashley here is around 8 years old, despite the minimum age for Hypnospace being 13.

Her page is straight up adorable, but it is a bit worrying. I don't know, I was on the internet doing things when I was far too young but now I'm older it definitely worries me!

Good thing we have Counselor Ronnie!

He's got a couple of SquisherZ for us to pick up around his page.

And is, uh, still advertising to the kids. The 90s sure were shameless huh!

His play button just links back to the SquisherZ quest.

A lot of stuff will eventually have some content on it once we progress through the story enough.

His learning page is, er, just misinformation. But it's funny I suppose?

:siren: Birthstones

This song is actually painful. Counselor Ronnie manages to pronounce almost every gem incorrectly, including (amazingly!) ruby as rube-why. I feel like this page might be a bit of a mockery!

If you're wondering, every single SquisherZ does still fly at me and go SQUISHERZ!

:siren: Waking Up - The Truth (my favourite of the background tracks, if you were wondering!)

Here we've got Tiff, who has a page all based around 'Scaries'. They're I suppose the hypnospace version of Creepypastas, but they're usually intended to be goofy horror themed stories instead of something to genuinely induce anxiety.

We'll check out T1MAGEDDON's story in a bit, first we'll just see the rest of Tiffs.

We'll also check out some of the stories by Linda as well!

But first, I tried searching her username for her old scaries. This looks promising!

Here we are. Her interactive poem scary.

Gasp! (the game does genuinely gasp here)

Crickets

I'm going to add some marshmellows.

No!

Let's pick it up.

The paths between picking up the potato or ignoring it come back together here.

Ahrghhh!! Turn off the light!

Let's open that door!

Let's close that door!

Dr. Smoulder Boulder doesn't have hands or feet. He's smooth and tall and distorded like a babie's foggy dream. Like the first fear you ever had when you were a kid.

H-how does he exist?

Wait

waht is he doing

o h n o

what -- -.- do

>WHAT'S HAPPENING??!?

Ok this is kind of cool actually

Rad! Let's see what other endings I can get.

Let's try the 'I ignore everything and sip marshmallows' route.

This hot chocolate is apparently really mediocre!

Hot chocolate!

Same as if we'd opened the door, just a text change.

Back to Dr. Smoulder Boulder. Hm.

Let's try having no marshmallows.

If you notice, the path we're on is dictated in the webpage address as either "M" or "NM". It seems Tiff made some mistakes somewhere and what drink you choose puts you on to the wrong path. So now we have marshmallows.

thanks for the marshmallows

Nice! I think that's all we've got here. Let's see what Linda has.

WoooOOo!

Linda is also on Starport Castle Dreamstation, so we can only reach her page through Tiff currently.

She's mourning the loss of one of the 5 zones that used to make up Starport Castle Dreamstation. The zones were Sci-fi Starport, Gamerz Only, The Comic Shop, The Dream Castle and Cybercog (this universes version of Steampunk) Station, if you were wondering.

I would be doing her a disservice if I didn't capture her beautiful animations.

Love it.

Linda is a classic B-movie horror buff, and has reviewed a few.

WILL IT BLEND?

Hypnospace Outlaw... gotta love it.

Let's check out DIGITAL PARASITE: REBORN by T1MAGEDDON.

T1M is apparently 999 years old, although I'm fairly sure he's around 16.

Let's go through the Rockstar first, who if you can't guess if supposed to be Chowder Man.

Just remember that these are all after Tiffany made them less mean.

Hm, I'll pass.

Oh, yes then?

I've signed worse terms and conditions!

Let's uh

Oh, sorry.

Oh, uh...

This is actually pretty funny and probably something I would do.

Anyway, let's accept.

(this screen flashes constantly, which seems a little weird considering it was made with his epileptic friend Tiff, but still!)

Let's do this one, which is supposed to be Arlan, the nice warlock fella who makes graphic art.

Minor differences, including calling Arlan a leech which. Bit cruel!

Ending is the same. I'll just shoot through the other cards.

This is a fella we won't meet yet as we don't have access to his zone.

It's a spirituality zone, if you couldn't guess.

And finally, we have our last card,

The guy with the rad as heck motorcyclist page.

And here we are! These are actually quite impressive, the 'installing' page gets more corrupted as it loads in and the music is pretty good, but T1M if you can't tell is... well, a bit cruel and mocking in the way teens often are. I'd never actually clicked the buttons before and the goofy text calling me a dummy actually warmed me up a bit and reminded me that, well, he is still a teenager after all.

We've still got a few to go but I reckon the scaries were good enough on their own. Come back next time for: teens making fun of each other!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I've seen Digital: A Love Story but Secret Little Haven is new to me and looks right up my alley! I think I'll give it a go.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 7 - Harassment in Teentopia

Hope you're having a lovely day friends. Today we're going to sort out the harassment case in Teentopia!

I did a little decorating for my desktop.

Also, I've found half the SquisherZ!

The SquisherZ theme is actually for textboxes. I'll have it for a bit but it's a little too obnoxious to keep on the entire time.

Like so.

https://lpix.org/3725823/HypnOS_oJUZ91i7aq.jpg

Here we've got Grayson who will draw us cars for a dollar. Bargain!

The music link just sends us back to Teentopia. Next we got...

:siren: PizzaDance

Uh, this atrocity!

Pi pi pi pizza!

We've got, uh, more kids on the internet too young! Dinosaurs! Buttons that don't do anything!

Up next we've got Rebekah who, unfortunately, has SquisherZ that we can't actually collect. She just likes them.

You remember the satanic crazes of the 90s? Hypnospaces world has them too, just with SquisherZ! We can actually find her dad on Hypnospace if I remember rightly, although he's in a zone we can't reach yet.

SquisherZ! Are really cool!

We're in the presence of a SquisherZ champion themselves now.

Here we've got the actual official SquisherZ page which, RUDELY
game.

only gives us a single SquisherZ!

Well, the culprits been narrowed down to our old friend ZANE_ROCKS_14 who, as the Dumpster linked it, has those harassment comics on his page. There's also T1Ms page which is just a picture of him,

:siren: DM_NO1ZPUSH3R - Ice Cream and Booze

Like so! It's set up to autoscroll and constantly reloads itself which, while impressive. Is kind of annoying. Icecream and Booze is a good song though!

:siren: Tuba Buffet - Night Out

If you're wondering out of all the teens which one I was, I was Corey. I will not be taking further questions.

We'll get to his girlfriend in a second... I might have skipped over her for a reason.

I at least had a couple more Xs here!! I'm not feeling embarrassed, I'm not!

I'm not going to ding things yet, but this counts as a harassment violation. We can get both Corey and Zane for this one!

His joke page is, uh, I like the one about pepperONEi pizza!

The soundfx file is amazing, by the way. It replaces all my computer noises with someone making the noise themselves. And they do a sheep baa when I open a window.

The hate page talks about such grievous offences as his MOM drivng him to school... outrageous!

Let's check out... Jennifer the Nerdy Chik's page.

I, uh, OK aside from the obvious fact it's Corey, if we do a little sleuthing...

Hm......... Interesting! Also, Jennifer is listed as living in Canada. Corey literally has a girlfriend in Canada. It's the little things that make a masterpiece :allears:.

Now back to Zane and his actual page and oh my

Seepage, the band playing over his page, are basically Linkin Park if you're wondering what I'm listening to right now.

He's got lyrics typed all over the page as well.

Hey, at least he's happy that he won the award! Shame the mocking part went over his head.

Sorry, sorry!

Snotty as Zane is, he's a pretty good artist. Here's his public comic.

Actually quite funny, now that I read it again. Right, he mentioned that he has an unlinked page. Nice little tutorial from the game reminding you that if you search usernames, you might get more pages than you can find linked.

Although you might have to get a bit clever. Hm, what else could we search...

Nope, uh.

Bingo! Also a pretty funny easter egg at the bottom.

We can access the tutorial page from right back at the start when we were learning how to use CHIME. And, funnily enough,

We can claim it all for free Hypnocoin.

Have fun with this one, security team.

Anyway, we've seen his secret page. The Dumpster handily linked it for us.

Here's Jessica White, or "I_LOVE_ZANE".

It's uh

Well at least Corey tried, I suppose! Right! Flagging time!!

We're just going to claim this entire page.

I can even get rid of this, heh heh.

He updated his main page as well.

Now you see it...

Now you don't!

Achievement unlocked... brassed...

We can also ding Corey's fake girlfriend, but we can't flag her.

Right! Case closed!

Up next we've got...

This! We're here to stop people from using a new payment method called CapaCash. We also unlocked the Open Eyed zone, which is spirituality and religion themed. We'll get to that next time, but first... I'm going on a SquisherZ hunt.

Nice! Counselor Ronnie had a few hidden at the bottom of his page.

We unlocked a rap! Wow I wonder what this is

oh my it's amazing

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 8 - Open Eyed

And again, this time with feeling! Open Eyed time!

Looks promising!

This zone isn't as heavily populated as the other ones, but it looks promising.

Well! Here we are. Also I was wrong, I thought this guy might have been Rebekah's dad but no, they have different last names. He might be her cousins dad however? We'll have to see.

The later part is a particular favourite of mine. Biblical angels are amazing! Google "Angel Throne" if you want a taste, it's basically a wheel with eyes and wings.

Alright...

Nice!

I wasn't kidding about the satanic craze, by the way! I wasn't around for the satanic Pokemon craze (instead I had the GTA Hot Coffee controversy) but here it is, faithfully replicated by Hypnospace Outlaw.

On to the magic orb...

It started out rude, which is a good sign. Oh magic orb, will I make a lot of friends!

Dearest orb, I wonder if perchance I would meet some lovely acquaintances who - God willing - may become heartfelt friends?

this orb sucks

:siren: Twilight Meditation

If you remember a while back to T1M's scary, we hadn't met one of the people. Let's meet him now!

He's also offering us...

A free wallpaper! I kind of love this sort of aesthetic.

Let's meet Gus.

Seems like a nice fella.

oh

oh yeah

The tower is a little, I suppose choose your own adventure bit but it's more just a 'journey'. This stuff should be open a little later.

Gather your positive energy and set forth.

The garden's got a band! Cherubs of stone inlaid with marble veins play all the latest hits, and neat music, and even the oldies too, for folks that enjoy that. :-) Your journey is endless, so it helps to carry that music with you, in your spirit and your ears. :-) ChitChat me and let me know how it's going! I'm so glad you're joining me today. :-)

Click the arrows to turn to the left or right.

The Golden Gargantuan... the first and greatest of the old souls. He watches over the temple, guiding and keeping the many friends inside safe. Friends like you. :-)

Click the arrows to turn to the left or right.

And that's it! The very chill music really helps this place feel relaxing. Love me some wind chimes.

Oh...

...should not be treated as such within legal contexts.

This is some amazing small print. Professor Helper here MIGHT bear some resemblance to BonziBuddy. We'll get him in a second, but first we'll finish exploring the hub. His small print mentions CapaCash, which is promising.

Oh... secret time baby.

:allears:

Psychic healing from Sherri.

She's basically just an internet psychic, as you do. She does have the CapaCash tag however...

Mm! Good credentials.

Well, she's aware that CapaCash is banned by Merchantsoft. And we have the Hypnocoin to spare...

If you're smart, of course,

You can just search her username for the consultation page. If we check out her exorcism testimony...

That's uh... that's Dr. Boulder Smoulder.

Ah. I think T1M may of played a prank on Gus. I hope the consultation wasn't too expensive...

Oh jeez. Poor Gus. I think Sherri may have taken advantage of him somewhat.

Or, Alda Gallo did.

If we try using CapaCash we just get an error. Anyway! Let's ding Sherri.

Oh, we just got some hypnomail!

Oh hey, it's from Dylan Merchant, the 'whizz kid' of the Merchant brothers. If you're wondering who the other 'intern' is, it's Samantha. She's one of their programmers but I suppose they don't have anyone around right now.

We need to find more CapaCash eh, where could it be!

(it's Professor Helper)

Oh, it's SteveGuy. He made that silly sound fx that Corey liked.

Uh, whoops! This is why we need the pro version of Hypnocure. Certain pages aren't supported by the latest version of Hypnospace and we can't access them without the safe mode.

It only affects pages ported directly from NetSettler which, Merchantsoft also made. They're not very good at quality control.

i seen em

I'll let this one speak for itself.

This seems pretty far-fetched... not sure that I believe in tennis? How would it even work without a center grabber?!

And lastly we have Zaréd Ecoheart which... is an amazing name.

33 Hypnocoin is a steal! His music is very new age-y (if you can believe that) and pretty nice listening.

And that's it for Open Eyed! Just a short little hike through Hypnospace this time. Let's go back to Professor Helper. We've had two warnings about it being a scam (one from Jas and another from Reginald Roberts) but I've got a good feeling about this.

Professor Helper here! Need some help?

Hello, Professor Helper!

You are a winner! You win! You are a winner! You win! You are a winner! You win! a bell is going crazy

oh god

As a quick aside, the screenshots were loading and I just wiggled my mouse to make them load faster. On Chrome. Jay Tholen what have you done to me!

I pressed no and he went Well! Bye then! in an angry tone. Amazing.

Hm... a weeks supply of food for $49.95? Tiny bit overpriced. Also, nice, capitalizing on Y2K fear.

Boink!

Let's see what else he has.

Oh the clutter!

Hm, Dylan forwarded an email from his brother to us. Two things, Adrian can't type and also he's taking money from Professor Helper. We get the choice whether to flag here or not... and. Well! I'm going to flag!

We also, uh, got bombarded with three emails. We'll check those in a second.

And the next o-

Ugh! This stupid website gave us a virus.

Bloody thing.

Last one and, it's, ah. A cat bed shaped like a corner. "cat not included" :3:

Flag'n time!

Goodbye!

Note that the "OK" and "No" buttons have been switched.

Uh... mostly. Cool. Now to check on the FIVE emails I got.

Hahaha, at least he said sorry!

Oh nice! We got our first spam email.

Hm...!

I'll help a man get his start in life.

:)

Uh, weird bug, let's just...

There we go.

Godspeed, Dimitry!

True Tranquility. Well we've never heard of that before, so let's just...

AhrhghhhhH!!!

Ahhrhghhhh!!!!!

AhhrhghhHH!HH!HHHHH!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 15, 2021

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I'm nothing if not dedicated. As a small tangent, if anyone is interested by the 'True Tranquility' idea, there's a very short horror game that reminds me very much of it. It's only about ten minutes long and is about a psychic hivemind fungus. Cool stuff!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 9 - Ice Girl, Nice Girl

AhhhghHGHHH

OK well that's better. I probably shouldn't have followed that strange link!

Oh well, maybe a little bit faster next time Dylan!

If you're wondering if this is actually jumpscarey, no. The noises it plays are very cartoony laughs and images tend to load in quite slowly. Hypnospace Outlaw doesn't want to actually spook you, after all!

We've got a new case and a new zone, Coolpunk Paradise! The hacker is DEFINITELY NOT T1MAGEDDON, but there's also no way to link this to him, even though... it was him.

We can also close this one!

And go to COOLPUNK PARADISE!

:siren: Fre3zer - Chill It

Coolpunk is that genre that, although it's probably a reference to quite a few things, reminds me personally of Vaporwave. Some of the songs are pretty good and others, are uh. Less good. Fre3zer's song 'Chill It' is probably the most mainstream.

There's also a couple of our old friends here!

(CyberWorldZ is the competitor to Hypnospace)

Here's his band label. You at least can say that Chad is enthusiastic.

Joeman is the name of the snowman mascot for Gray's Peak.

Uh... alright. I gave his songs a listen and despite his aggressive assertion that they're fantastic and you're just a hater if you don't like them, they're actually alright. Like a club remix of a Christmas carol.

Hello Amanda! She's running a review page and talking about how handsome Fre3zer is.

She's very enthusiastic! And... hold on. No... he wouldn't...

He did!! It's just Fre3zer!! Will people on Hypnospace stop making fake girlfriends?! At least the other guys were 15.

Anyway out of annoyance I'm now leaving Fre3zer's page for last.

Hm, 18 years old and also aggressively criticizing everyone while getting angry when it comes back at him. Checks out.

Here's his music, although we saw it on the other downloads page. This one however...

Has this thirsty boy on it!

Here's the concert everyone has been mentioning about, happening in a fortnight. This page also has

Joeman he's just the best

More ads...

This page, which isn't even Coolpunk themed! And this guy doesn't know that they took digiXChange down for music piracy. Although if we search it...

We get this page from gearheadgregg talking about a new site called FLST. Might be useful later.

Or now, but we don't have a password.

And I ain't gonna buy one!

Jerry Gilroy here is fairly unique in that his Coolpunk song isn't a remix, it's him singing to a piano.

He's also got the lyrics to his song and...

because i feel like i'm shrinking, oh no, my body's melting down

will my friends ever return?

so long,

been so long,

so long

Despite the silly premise and lyrics, it's actually sang quite well. Coolpunk rocks, but it's so confusing... if only there was a guide to the music of Hypnospace!

:siren: slushmouth - Calculated Memories (another banger)

His guide is an interactive journey that plays some sample music as you go through it. It's pretty rad.

It's also more confusing than if you didn't bother, but I'll document it for all of you anyway!

Quick historical tangent!

We're on to haze now, which has several fragments!

Don't appreciate the dig at your friend and mine, Artie.

Worth nothing is while not every entry has unique music, a lot of them have music that's either rare or not anywhere else in Hypnospace.

Positively ancient.

No, you didn't make a wrong turn to Open Eyed! Tina is here to make the music fans a little less toxic. Admirable, at any rate.

Oh hey, some successes.

Uh, well, progress.

...It's something! Cheers Tina!

And that's Coolpunk! You might wonder why we went here if it wasn't really linked to any shock images. Well, Chowder Man is also in Coolpunk Paradise. And...

Come on, he even published the weird virus song under his own name! Luckily, Hypnospace has some robust enforcement tools and we can ban the image.

Sorted! Although it gave Chowder Man some violation points, despite the fact he's actually the victim here. Hm. Well, we'll sort out the other pages.

The theme is, people who T1M has written mocking things about.

So we've basically got the list right here!

Aside from Chowder Man (who isn't at his PC) everyone else is pretty upset about it.

Sorted! That should be all cleared up now. I did find a few things while doing a little sleuthing (I'd worked out to follow the digital parasites guide originally)

I'd found out that T1M has an actual site we can't reach yet, and also if we search SonOfTim (the little face thing that the virus keeps throwing up at us)

We get this! If you're worried about missing things, by the way, I am going for 100% page completion. So we'll see everything! Eventually!

It's, hm, well. I suppose I'll buy the hint anyway!

Hey!

Well, uh, thanks for the hint then! I'd managed to get them all.

Here's our next task, which we'll get to in a sec. It's to test out a new game.

First we'll close the case. And then we'll get to the game!

Sweet! Let's download it and give it a spin.

Outlaw, eh. Let's go!

It certainly is early. The music bugs constantly and sounds keep skipping.

And, it's a little glitchy.

The game is mainly about ramming in to other cars to knock them off. Or lassoing them. It's not very complete right now.

Uh...

Oh.

Oh no!

This drat thing just crashed my headband!

Come on! Can't Merchantsoft make anything right?!

Chinely fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 1, 2020

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 10 - 1999.11.26

It's been weeks but the new headbands finally here!

It's not my fault, HYPII!

Well we're here, 3 weeks later. All our flagged citizens have been checked and all the zones have moved on. We've missed the Fre3zer concert too!

Corey actually got a more severe punishment.

Sorry, Abby.

And that's all the flags taken care of. Professor Helper was probably dealt with personally by Adrian, so we don't get an email. And T1M wasn't officially blamed for the hacking, so we couldn't flag him either.

Well, Dylan has now shirked his security duty and doesn't even know who's replacing him. And we've been slammed by a massive amount of cases.

Hey, we get Sam now! Sam is, unlike everyone else in Merchantsoft, competent. She's now watching incoming infractions and will create cases as we go. That's right, we're free roam now!

Ugh, Dylan

It IS possible to miss cases here, although they aren't hard to find and you can eventually go back to deal with them. You'll miss out on the achievement though.

Wow even the Outlaw page is completely messed up.

Great job, Dylan!

If a page remains completely unchanged, and some of them have, I won't bother showing them again for obvious reasons.

Oh wow, Coolfest '99 didn't go very well.

Coolfest Attendees were already on edge after a minor riot during Fre3zer's set after he was allegedly caught lip-synching.

What! Fre3zer you hack!

Analysts speculate that stock prices for both companies may rise by as much as €5 during the complex integration process. However, King Foods COO Richard Epson promises that the people who stand to benefit most are consumers. Whether it's in their home kitchens, or our state-of-the-art yet affordable Lunchcounter restaurants, our customers are the real winners here," Epson said.

Tyler Boppo was kindly escorted from the building.

Hm, a hostile merger then.

Third Party candidates have also embraced this new virtual fronteir[sic], with Traffic Party representative Jackson Jackson and independent candidate Roger Ellis committing to personally build their own presences in sleeptime some time next year.

Glad to see the world still sucks in Hypnospace.

West coast great, East coast better. What can I say, I like the rain!

And that's it for the news.

A lot of the guides have messed up images that aren't being fixed. Merchantsoft!

Back to our friends in the cafe.

Dylan has some new stuff, including competing with slushmouth.

Oop, it's under his pseudonym as well.

It's a lot less funny, and tends to have flipped opinions than slushmouths. Also shorter but hey, competition!

Aldrin almost has his website converted to a digital format. I'll post it then as it's far more readable.

Ah. I hope Chowder Man doesn't fall off the wagon.

Hey, new Gregg!

Hm... alright. A bit more random capitalization and not having a straight sequence of numbers at the end and that'd be OK...

I wonder if he follows his own advice. If so, his password would be LexingtonComputers1950. Gregg had an FLST, right?

You work in tech, Gregg! You need better security than this!

So we now get free roam to check out peoples directories. Let's have a look at Greggs. Also worth noting is the special thanks to dm (that would be Dylan) and ghg, or gearheadgregg. Gregg's a founding member!

Hello hello.

Hm, there's a load of clips and free applications. Axxelerator is one we haven't seen before. The Soupertasters is an internet radio broadcast that is literally about two guys eating soup and discussing it. Great stuff.

Oh hello, sequence breaking! The Axxelerator is something we'll eventually have to find later as Merchantsoft aren't happy about it, but thanks to Gregg we've just picked it up early. I won't reveal anything about it for narrative reasons, but this does show that if you have foreknowledge you can majorly rush through parts of this game early.

Which makes sense, considering it is supposed to be the internet! I could have grabbed a load of stuff very early but chose not to. Fun for a second playthrough though.

The Axxelerator is a double edged sword, because while it DOES make pages load in far faster it also spams you with pop-ups. Your mileage may vary but I personally find the pop-ups more irritating than the added speed and so don't have it on.

Here's Jas for the latest top tips.

Hm! Janitor, eh.

Jas also now has this cute little dragon.

Marjorie is in Starport Castle Dreamstation and she makes cute little dragons and her friends will have them on their pages.

If you can't tell, Starport Castle Dreamstation might have a few roleplayers in it.

Fun stuff.

Go away!

Anyway! Here we have some delicious potions.

I think Phaedrala here might be showing her hand a little too much, but hey. What else is the internet for if not being your real self?

Jas doesn't have a FLST, but they did give us a hot tip!

So here's our first case. This app will illegally give us infinite Hypnocoin, which is a dirty crime!

I'm only going to download it just to be disgusted at how vile free Hypnocoin is.

Welcome to Janitor for HypnOS!

And install it, just so I know how awful it is!

It's a pretty simple game where you just make big trash piles and disposal them...

Huh? You guys still here?

No! There was an infected file behind the pop-up! Eugh! Well, anyway, we have enough for Hypnocure pro now.

We can now infect ourselves if we really want, and also access unsupported pages.

Via this button. Anyway, back to Janitor!

This program shouldn't be allowed, don't scan my system to see if I have it because I don't.

Let's take it all down.

New case from Sam about this.

Pretty simple, I just had to get rid of the download link.

Funnily enough, I searched the FLST of the headband user who made janitor and look who popped up.

Hello T1M. We've got some viruses here, that 3y3 program I got last time but was encrypted with SamWich, and uh

A picture of Tiff. Great.

May as well!

Oh my god he is 16.

My window now says BUTTS, occasionally a fart noise plays and HYPII said "ow my butt" when I got the virus. Great.

You're welcome HYPII. As an aside, the AXXELERATOR pop-ups are significantly less frequent. They've probably been patched.

Then I immediately got two in a row.

Uh. Well the page looks better in any case.

It's readable now!

This page... is unchanged and still has the trial version brand? Weird.

Gregg deserves a sainthood for his work on Hypnospace.

Hm, Beefbrain Shield Pro eh.

Ah, M1nx. We've seen the name around a few times. It mainly seems to be someone that T1M is trying to impress.

Well. This is the latest prank, eh? Good job M1nx.

Hm, we've found M1nx's page but it's pretty empty. For now, anyway!

M1nx doesn't have a FLST, if you're wondering. Not for this headband ID anyway.

There's a new soundscape...

There's Howard Hewson who is still being bombarded with hypnocoin.

Tamara will have her song coming soon, trust her! If you've been skipping over thread talk, there were issues with her original song "I Choose" and so it's been patched out. But new music will be patched in!

And here we've got the latest from the Dumpster.

Jeez. This event couldn't have gone any worse, huh.

Castle Dreamport has apparently massively gone off the rails, which I can't wait until we see.

And FLST is off the rails. Let's check these out because these sound rad.

Oh hey, it's the Teentopia guy who said he'd draw any car for a dollar! I can't access the poems one (yet, I'll try again later).

oh my loving god

im out of here

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I am, yes! I checked back in and

I think it was on my end, probably the constant alt tabbing or because I had a bit of a kafuffle with resizing the window. Next time I'll just restart and that should fix it.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I thought that maybe the United States currency uses the € symbol, because that's the symbol in CapaCash, but no the Professor Helper ads mention USD. I don't think the game ever mentions what Europe is like, but perhaps it's strong enough that it's the de-facto currency of the stock market! And also formed early!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 11 - Hypnospace Clean-up

Apologies to the thread, there was some minor text errors causing font to be unreadable. All I had to do was restart so, it's fixed! Anyway back to

Ahrgh! That car has death in its eyes.

The other pictures are actually pretty good, though.

Here we've got the Chowder Man's FLST, the one thing we didn't check last time.

It's... typical Chowder Man affair. But it seems like this is his way of mourning.

Checking back on his page and, ah. I wonder if he actually wrote this.

Hm.

Back to Goodtime Valley and, oh no. Abby stop posting more Goopers!!!

If you're wondering, Battle Hymn of the Republic is playing over this page.

New badge for us to use catching this HORRIFIC copyright abuse! Sorry Abby!!

Hand the reigns to me Samantha, I'll ban them all over Gumshoe Gooper. I've gone rogue!

Also this case. Hm...

Sorry Sam, wouldn't know anything about that. Yes we can just report this straight away if we want (the application links to the download page) but it's pretty fun doing it the proper way.

Hm... there might be some passwords lying around for us to find.

Bloody communists.

Well, that was an interesting if sliiightly biased history of Gumshoe Gooper. Fun!

Abby no!

I didn't want to!

This one is for being sarcastic to me, but I still feel bad.

Let's grab the Boppo's sticker pack now that we have our Hypnocoin, from somewhere.

It's pretty cute. Our desktop's a grill now!

Hello Carl, what's this about deleting?

Ah. He's got a load of points without me doing anything but hasn't been flagged.

Beefbrain. Wasn't there the mention of a similar prank beforehand...? That was also probably from M1nx?

Gratz Fred!

Scotty here looking out for Goodtime Valley.

drat, and it looks like Mavis actually managed to make a page!

Arlan is also part of the Gooper craze.

Not on my watch!

Pete has also been hit by the expired free trial. Sorry, slightly weird poems that were really irritating to capture.

Reg, also standing with Gooper. Frogluvr85, not standing for it!

Just doing my job...

We've also apparently swapped from Sandy for leader, to Reginald for leader. Presumably because he's more angry about Gooper.

Here we've got Sandy who has taken, well, the easier stance for me.

Aw. I don't know about comparing me to a security guard but I'll take the nice intent!

Also yes funnily enough, they don't care about Detective Frank.

You've got my vote, Sandy.

Especially as you've actually seen sense about beefbrain!

Yet another free trial expiration.

And checking out the general store, we've now got some cool stickers.

If you hadn't noticed, this window now says butts. The sticker pack had T1M's butt virus.

You're welcome, HYPII.

Back to Teentopia and, is that a squid? Oh yeah!

I love him... In time, my sweet.

Uh!

Well, at least Ashley has a mum looking out for her?

Let's check in on Ronnie!

He's running a contest now... nothing else is new! His weirdly wrong learning page is still up.

Tiff!

Tim! Being a dickhead! Also it seems that Smolder Boulder actually came from the exorcism first? Huh.

It's just the story we did before, but I'll bet...

Huh... no. It still swaps you on to the different path to the drink you chose. Still, it's linked on her page now!

Hello Tiff. I guess it's less weird that T1M had a picture saved if they're public, but still a bit weird.

Here's that call for help we got from Tiff.

Message from Corey...

Thankfully I was never this bad.

Sigh.

Great, we've got Zane now. It's mentioned before that ChitChat is bugged and lets people you haven't befriended message you.

Isn't he... asleep. I guess he could be wearing no pajamas but how would... alright never mind whatever. Let's flag these!

Unfortunately we run in to a problem by design. Hypnospace doesn't let us assign the points to anyone else, so Tiff has the flag.

As mentioned by Sam. Oh, don't flag her. Uh. Oops. Sorry!

Dylan being useless, great.

I'll just close some of these cases. Closing just gives you Hypnocoin and you can also move the game forward, but here it's just a formality.

As we've already received this, the next case.

Oh hey, I got them all!

Reminding you of Grayson, who had the... very artistic FLST.

Zane's broken up with his fake girlfriend. Sadly.

And, uh, Corey...?

Well, goons? What are you asking Santa for!

Adorable.

Hey, Rebekah's doing some art for SquisherZ. Pretty nice.

And uh, will be at a rapture party instead of on Hypnospace. OK.

Shontia is also being deleted. Hm... this is kind of sad!

Hm... alright, if you say so Corey.

...I like pizza dance...

Hm... I don't know if I trust Corey.

Yep! He put it back up and just unlinked it.

There's nothing more satisfying than a page you can fully claim.

Ah, the Zane/Jessica issue resolved. Too preppy.

Sorry Zane, we've got picture proof that you thought the award was real! Also casual homophobia, ah, 90s.

Now for the update to Zane's comic.

:allears:

I did some searching, and it seems like Got Game or Way Lame is actually down. For now. We didn't get a case for Corey, anyway. But we did flag him!

Let's check out a bit of Open Eyed and see if there's any changes.

Ooh, hello. Think that's Sherri!

Can't say fairer than that.

Hey, it's the guy with the horrifically bugged page.

Hm. He's not wrong.

This page...

...is still...

Under construction!

But some great tips for about this worm log.

Terry is 44.

I can't either!

Also, hey presto

It works!

It's mainly clips and the movie ones... are beautiful.

Also, free stickers.

Uh, while entering a term in the deep green page I found the HypnOS installation guide! This is actually cool and I haven't found this before.

Cool!

This is, weirdly, how I found this.

Back on track, the second portal from Gus is open.

We get some nice Zaréd music playing as we climb.

Wowie wow wow!

And it looped! Neat!

Back to Sherri and, aw. She's got a link to Gus now.

Ah. Password tips from Gregg, you say?

We can also just search for the page or use the email she gave us last time, but I want to do it the fun way.

Asbury Park, 62 years old... so she was born in 1937. Now we just need a hobby.

I guess, uh. Psychic? Prayer?

Hm, it worked!

Ah. Well. I need the Hypnocoin...

Sorry, Sherri

And I could have ignored it. Well.

More Hypnocoin for me!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Also as a note to all the cool discussion, I'll probably quote a lot of it after the LP and make a page for the archive. It's neat!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Unfortunate news friends. While this LP isn't going on hiatus or anything that drastic, I HAVE been called back in to work for the time being. Which is fun and not at all worrying.

Updates are going to slow from daily to probably 2-3 times a week, spare time and how tired I am permitting.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Alright your frog'ed child (me) is officially unemployed (I didn't get fired if you were wondering) so prepare for more updates either way later today or tomorrow!! Hypnospace!!!

Also I didn't link to the Seepage song as if the music isn't on the OST or very basic, I'm worried about it being claimed or taken down. Especially if it wasn't made by Jay, which Seepage wasn't!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 12 - The Freelands

And we're back! Slight delay but ah well, Hypnospace never sleeps. Let's see where we were...

Ah yes, we'd been assigned the Booster Malicious Software case, but were generally cleaning up Hypnospace. People have given me a few tips and let's see...

Looks like we can't report Lookout Ministries for harassment, although at any rate it's not one of the optional cases we can pick up.

Now the last place for us to check out is Coolpunk Paradise. If you remember, Coolfest '99 was an absolute disaster. There was a tragic helicopter crash killing a member of the Chowder Man's band, and Fre3zer was caught lip syncing.

Oh, it was all just an accident! That's alright then.

CPColdSnap, the rude teenager that reviews other peoples Coolpunk tracks, has his scathing review of the Coolfest 99 event. Including a mocking recap of the fact somebody died. Classy! Can't find the fake Coolpunk page linked...

Because it's unlisted under another account!

Probably not coincidentally, he's mocking the people that had more original and heartfelt takes on Coolpunk.

Hm.

Hm.

Well... we've reached our next case!

Banning time!

It's only the one page, and I get an achievement for cleaning all the optional cases. Nice! Let's finish checking out the Coolpunks before we get to the new hub.

First, the Peacelands.

Amazing.

Slushmouth has a flist, containing some uploaded music. It's also been pointed out that his page is a big reference to this guide.

:siren:Basidia - Formations

We've got a new entry, the Fungus Scene! The music is pretty good. Just for a change. (Just kidding, it's all really good in Hypnospace! Even the stuff that isn't supposed to be!)

Sad days, Icicle Kid and his song about a snowman has left the movement.

Although I have a feeling he just wants to fit in... although with a page name like that, it isn't happening soon.

X_NEO_ICY_X isn't leaving us so soon!

Uh, maybe a little blindly!

On to Father Fungus, who has now fully launched the fungus scene.

He made that bombass song we were just listening to.

Hm... contractually obligated to not talk about what music he was doing.

He's got an Flist as well, but no matter what I do I can't open the Fungus Manifesto text log. Ah well.

I also found, uh, this. Cool!

And this thanksgiving page from X_NEO_ICY_X. If a page ever tells you to search a term, there's usually an unlisted page on there.

There's also this page (it's Father Fungus, they have the same headband ID.)

Hm, it's a shame to have a small fringe movement be picked up by corporate entities who attempt to sell it as edgy while killing the entire point behind the movement originally. Good thing that never happens in the real world!

A little video clip of the concert.

He just stops mouthing along at one point and the crowd starts booing.

Now... for the mega zone! The fused zone of all geeky hobbies. The Dumpster told us that most pages have rebelled and entered the freelands.

The nerds aren't happy about this, as you can imagine.

Here's the page of Roddy, who's a coder working for Merchantsoft. The bull is his favourite comic book hero, if you were wondering, and he roleplays as him.

Here's our friend Linda, who we've visited from Tiff's page.

She's linked to the manifesto of the freelands.

Cool!

The zone is almost deserted, so we'll have to explore the Freelands in order to actually visit peoples pages.

Although we've seen some of these pages from links.

I do like how the word Imagination is the least fancy on their logo. Make it rainbow coloured, Gill!

They're trying to boycott Hypnospace. While usually this wouldn't work, and while Hypnospace does cater towards casual users, nerds make up a large part of their userbase. Hypnospace is seen as better for music and other media fans, whereas CyberWorldZ is more for gamers. So this might have an impact!

Now...

For the Freelands!

:siren: Ready to Shave - Chowder Man

It's... honestly amazing.

The Chowder Man is even onboard with it!

Our first pages, eh.

Why did different cursors ever go out of fashion? Also Sacred Garden, eh?

It's a game company! This is Phaedrala's review for them.

Hm, a lot of the Hypnospace verses games involve peaceful resolutions. That's pretty rad.

Back to Gill Sanders.

Fairly sure this was one of the songs that the Dumpster ended up mocking. It's... not great. But we all need to start somewhere. It's definitely very circus-y.

Hm, his campaign eh! He draws his own art and he's pretty good.

Poor Ginsby.

I am in love with the Kauch.

Copyright Gill Sanders. If you would like to play your own Sanderverse game, ChitChat me and I will send my campaign book!

Why's every setting got to be post-apocalyptic? Can't we ever play one at the height of the ancient empire!

...diplomacy is always how she tries to resolve things.

Race: Cyrix

If you're interested, this is how Sarah draws her character. She's not quite the accomplished artist that her husband is, but he definitely took a few... liberties.

Let's hop to the rest of her page.

Her strong opinions are mainly that she doesn't like the things that Gill likes, and he's neglecting his GMing duties.

On we go!

We've got Casper Sundberg here, who was a member of the band Klyfta. Klyfta does some absolute banger tracks.

Although he left the music life to pursue his true hobby of painting vans. You have to admire somebody who'll give up success for their passion.

Let's check out his art.

Oh man.

This is rad.

I'm in love.

The last page down this path, the Observer.

Review time.

Wow I wonder what game this could be!

Happy to report that for the first time, while I was editing a gif HYPII said something and made me jump. Thanks HYPII!

SquisherZ!

Friendship wins the day.

Yeah, and the prototype for your stupid game crashed my headband.

Back to the freelands, and we've found the bullring. And also the Trial of Axxeleration! We already have the app through some flist shenanigans, but this is how you get it 'legitimately'.

But first...

It's the Bullring!

Nice.

Well, that's cool.

This is literally the entire page.

It's Roddy!

We've seen this page way the back, on the Merchantsoft employees page.

Although there's a bit more now.

And a project diary! With a transparent clue on how to unencrypt SamWich! Yeah you just feed it to the virtual pet, and we could have gotten 3y3 back earlier, but I live for the narrative and we're doing this properly!

...since it already has a reputation as a piracy tool, but we'll see.

We're going in reverse, by the way.

Cybercog time...

You CRAVE the DECAVERITATANGE of the TEKNOSHAMANATRIX

>FIND MEANING

>BE A NOBODY

Well it's me, so.

>BE A NOBODY

Oh, alright then!

>FIND MEANING

>REJECT THE TEKNOSHAMANATRIX'S BLESSINGS

Going with the wrong choice again because I am a comedian.

Uh, are you alright, Gary?

>ASK WHAT THE TEKNOSHAMANATRIX IS DOING IN YOUR HOUSE

"This path requires sacrifice," the TEKNOSHAMANATRIX roars.

>FOLLOW THE PATH

>SAY I'M OUT

Second verse, same as the first.

Well I'm getting sad now.

>GIVE HIM YOUR KIDS

>GIVE HIM ONE KID

>SAY NO (DON'T PICK THIS)

Well I haven't respected the authority of the story so far, so

Sorry.

>GIVE HIM ONE KID

Alright, take both then!

>GIVE HIM YOUR KIDS

No choice here, just the one option.

Uh, I think Gary might have actually left his family...?

>NO

Oh, fine. Take the love of my life as well.

I can't wait to see you there!

Gary, you can be a geek and still have a family! You didn't have to choose!

Let's move to uh, this.

UH

:siren:The Visual - The Wizard Eagle

There we go. Still a bit of a weird page but here we are!

Fun, though.

Here's the graveyard for all the hubs we lost.

There's also a reason that Starport Dreamstation is pretty light on pages for five hubs - most people jumped ship.

There's also Linda, but she hasn't got anything new.

And our last person...

It's Phaeldrala!

And that's the Freelands. Next time... we take the trial of the Axxelerator!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 13 - The Axxelerator

Good morning flesh children, let's get started on that trial of the Axxelerator!

...after this! Mr. Tholen himself (it's weird to refer to people like this when they also reply in your thread but bear with me) has revealed on Twitter that Hypnospace has some updates going. I plan on capturing them, but they'll be in a few months. Luckily you can go for 100% page completion in Hypnospace so that should last us until the updates drop!

Let's begin the trial! These are narrated by Roddy himself who probably should have gotten a better mic, but whatever it's the 90s!

He's also got a very heavy lisp.

The secret stash is hidden

in the freelands you shall unlock it. two east of roddy's bullring (that's me) one north of casper's rocket. only one path leads to this place, look closely at the borders. once you find it come back here and this trial, you will rock it!

Absolutely A+ for showmanship though. Let's get this!

If you're wondering how we do this, you have to remember that the Freelands is on a grid. Meaning the place that's two east and one north from the bullring...

Is here!

Oh-ho...

The second hint!

The final hint!

Oh and we're changing font now.

The father of the freelands (his cybercogian name)+ the mother of the freelands (what she shoots in her game)+ the # of zones that merchantsoft sent to an early grave. now return to the freelands, south of the colosseum, and input this code you figured out for your final test, i really hope to see ya

Well the amount of zones is 5, but there's the graveyard if you forget. The mother fires a bow and...

The cybercog dude is called SigNull!

And now there's another quiz! We skipped all this when we found the Axxelerator through FLST, and could have just reported it then and skipped all this. But where's the fun in that?!

Roddy you're a little annoying!

This is what happens if we get it wrong.

The classic of two to three 'maybe' answers, and the rest being clearly wrong.

It's been Freelands, Cosmic Rock and now it's Scaries.

I actually didn't know this one (Greydallus and Snoggalioth are the only two I remember), but you can bruteforce pretty easily. The answer is Maraginnius.

A bull and a cape!

Datacogs... luckily most of these are easy to pick up if you just read the Freelands pages.

I've already donated and picked up an achievement (you get it for donating to these two, and the Submarine fella during the last date), but we're here to get Axxelerator!

And we're going to flag it because we're not very nice!

We've also outed Roddy, a Merchantsoft employee. This might be a little awkward.

Sorry, Roddy!

Now for the next case. There's a way to skip to the end of this one as well, but let's see how we're supposed to find it out properly.

Cheers Sam. Do you think she ever gets annoyed at having to manually type out FrogLuvr85 every time she talks to me?

Here's the first report from Meat Goat Records.

The second from QPL.

And another from QPL. Pretty big hint here that we're going to be looking for a FLST, which luckily we have access to! We already know that Casper has some of his old Klyfta stuff uploaded on his FLST...

Except Roddy never says it's HIS FLST, and Casper hasn't got one.

If we search for lists, we get Gregg talking about FLST.

Which obviously we can search to find FLST. Which we did earlier, but! Here's where it's important to find.

Searching for Glamocaster gets us a page from "DM_NO1ZPUSH3R", or Dylan Merchant.

Oh hello, here's him talking about a FLST login... This is the third or fourth time that he's mentioned FLST or been sad at the death of sharing music.

If you can't take a hint, it's Dylan. Dylan is uploading music illegally. I'm fairly sure this is the intended path to finding things out (searching all the relevant terms) but I already knew who had uploaded the music, and couldn't remember how I figured it out originally! Lots of people mention FLST and music, and most of it ends up pointing towards Dylan.

Let's have a little look...

Seeing as he gets to pick his own registry ID, I'm glad that Dylan went with 80085d. Or boobs. The D I assume stands for developer. Presumably we have an E headband, although we can't see any other enforcers.

Bingo.

And he's got all the tracks, along with some commentary!

Alright well, it's time to start banning the boss.

This won't have consequences.

Let's go!

Oh?

Uh... oops. He might be a workshy boob but he's not incompetent! Hurry!

Case closed! And...

Yep! Banned.

Oh come on, banned until New Years eve! WITW?! Merchantsoft is the worst company in the world!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Oh jeez. Day before the update and my PCs power supply completely perishes!! I might be able to update if I can access another pc but unless that happens the LP will be delayed. I have the money and resources to get it fixed thankfully but still. Annoying!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Also yes, you can flag Dylans account but it doesn't do anything. The first time you ding him starts an invisible timer where he'll message you then lock you out, being one of the very few timed parts of the game I previously mentioned.

If you're quick you can flag enough to complete the case, flag him and then close it. All you get is Hypnocoin though, and progress on the achievement for closing cases. He's too far up to have you flagging him do anything unfortunately!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

PC is fixed!! It was just a power supply issue. And then it broke again but luckily that got fixed as well. So update coming this Friday!!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

So if you're wondering where the update was... My pc broke again. For the 3rd time, except this time when the psu went it took my apartments power outlets with it.

So that was kind of it.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I appreciate the support which is... More than I was expecting! My pc is still broken and this game would be updated slowly but uh. I have to join in with not supporting Lowtax.

Sorry Jay! I can't tell you how much I love your game but I won't be able to do it justice. I value your gentleness and I can't support... Ungentleness!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Computers fixed and Lowtax is gone... let's see what happens Friday! I hope it's an update!!!

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 14 - The New Year

Oh jeez it's been a while... both ingame and out! Let's try and get back up to steam.

Oh wow... alright! It probably has actually been that long.

It glitches out a bit here. Hilarious.

And then a lot more!

Alright! The new year! And this update is already looking stupidly buggy!

Ahrgh! Well. At least it looks smoother. It's just going to glitch from here on out.

A few updates. We got that psychic banned.

And the guy who just LOVED biking.

Aw. Sam thinks it was her. Sorry Sam, your boss is a dickhead!

There's this case, which we actively can't do anything about. Hmm...

We'll see what we can do.

Hm! New zone!

Oh yeah! Trennis!

It's mainly here for the audio. Set to Klyfta's great Trennis anthem theme.

Fancy. The central homepage has been suped up.

The Hypnospace Guide 2.0 is... the same. Amazing.

Finally some more Hypnospace merch!

uh

the other links link to nothing. This was their official Hypnospace 2000 launch...

Roddy is gone. Guess we got you fired, bud.

Back on the news!

You suck, CyberworldZ. Hypnospace no. 1.

You heard it here first, folks.

I'm not even intentionally capturing these, it's glitching a LOT.

And now on a lighter topic,

How wacky.

Are... posthumous charges even a thing if you're not the pope? Would this be arson?? It's not exactly criminal negligence.

Hold on, that's Jay! Are the others also developers?

Yes, they are.

Ah, er. Hm. Moving on.

Weather. Yes, we have that.

TRENNIS!!

uh

This isn't at all concerning.

Hm

Well. It hasn't been saved just yet. All Hypnospace has done so far is destroy my PC.

three times

A little google, and

Well. Let's see what they've done. So Roddy basically told us how to unpack .sandwich files, and I can't remember where but you get outright told at some point.

So we grab another copy of .eye...

Grab a pet. I wanted the Lovesquid, but I can't seem to find it on this day. Shame.

Grab April.

Have her immediately crap and glitch out my desktop.

Thank you Roddy for coding in the extractor inside the pet you made. Anyway, we now have 3y3!

We could have gotten this on day one, but it'd have ruined a bit of the magic of Hypnospace. We can now see hidden text on peoples pages.

Like so. Plenty of the more hacker orientated people will have hidden links and posts. Mainly T1m and M1nx. That dream tools looked interesting though...

Going to the dreamlands to find it and it turns out Hypnospace is trying to make the Freelands official? I wonder how they feel about it.

Funnily enough, they're not having it.

All we've got in here is a page by Tamara now.

Finding the Freelands by searching shows that... yeah, it's out.

If there's every a lot of empty space, use the 3y3 on it.

We've found re3konings island! This also gets spelt out later on. Or maybe earlier? Either way.

Let's see about these documents...

It's kind of hard to read when the eye isn't in motion, so I'll type it out.

ACT 1: MERCHANTSOFT COMMISSIONS HYPNOSPACE HEADBAND CLINICAL STUDY TO SILENCE BEEFBRAIN RUMORS

ACT 2: MERCHANTSOFT ISN'T HAPPY WITH THE FINDINGS AND BURIES THEM - INSTEAD COMMISSIONING PAID "TESTS" BY "INDEPENDENT EXPERTS".

ACT 3: RE3KONING RELEASES COPIES OF THE DAMNING DOCUMENTS, BRINGING AN END TO HYPNOSPACE AND MERCHANTSOFT. GOOD RIDDANCE.

Here's the download...

Hm.

So Hypnospace might not be great, and the findings have been suppressed by Merchantsoft. What else is new.

Also, pets starve hilariously fast.

And Merchantsoft guilt you with a tombstone!

That you can't remove! It's for the kids.

Still, let's install these tools.

Yep! It's the debug tools! I can now download anything I find, including page music, make Hypii read the opening to Moby Dick, and do a whole load of fun things.

Here's the page music downloader.

Here we can revive April! Hurrah!

This is how you're supposed to keep her alive, but we'll keep her on infinite.

And the last one.

Much better.

Hm... positive values only.

I reject your divinity.

Try me. Although, I will set up a fun easter egg.

69 also works, if you're curious.

Also this. Don't worry, we'll have the opportunity to mess around with this stuff later. And I want that Lovesquid!

Cafe has also has a 2.0 facelift, and Gregg is getting the recognition he deserves!

Nothing new though. Oh and for those who haven't realised, WITW is the Hypnospace version of WTF. Same with Bawling With Laughter instead of LOL. Fun touches!

The Dumpster is changing for the more constructive. Nice to see.

But they did write some articles before leaving!

Hm...

Nope. This is just empty space.

Also nothing. Also I guess this is a rather outdated view. I'm an MMO player and the amount of people I know that moved in with someone they met playing an MMO is pretty high.

Also just as an aside, after having your computer break three times all the fake Hypnospace glitching out and stuttering is making me nervous. It better not break!

Artie hasn't got much new, although I did notice his model of the solar system is missing Uranus, Neptune and - as this is set in 1999 - Pluto.

This dickheads page is still around.

The Outlaw page is still around, by the way. It gets updated as you go.

It went so well last time!

Well. It's slightly less buggy!

Game's alright!

Sometimes you see Jay Tholen waving in the background!

Funny thing is, you can reverse on the wrong lane and cars start honking at you. Head on collissions tank your HP though, funnily enough.

That was fun.

Got an achievement too!

Aldrin's House of Sound has finally got the proper webpage that I've been teasing. Unfortunately now the links to his articles don't work.

Back to my favourite and yours, Jas.

Hypnospace Professional is worth it for us, but pretty much nobody else.

Freelands pages are still up if you can find a link to them, but the zone is pretty dead.

Sam here, talking about how she's now working for the HSPD. Couldn't have anything to do with how Dylan doesn't like her, eh?

Come on Reggie, Beefbrain was disproved.

Goodtime Valley seems to have won the Gooper war, so that's nice...?

Don't worry Abby, in the future tech companies have much more respect for people.

I'll miss not being able to flag all those cartoon drawings of Gumshoe Gooper. The Christmas link is broken, if you were wondering. And none of the flagged images are back.

Boppo sides with the patriots!

Uh. Didn't we ban you? I guess his page is still up for a bit.

I wish stupid Hypnospace people didn't say things that make me realize they're human beings with feelings and regrets, even if they do kind of suck.

At least he's wised up a bit...?

Granny Cream sides with the patriots!

MrOldFashioned is hard at work as ever, I see...

Oh hey, Mavis is back! And she's not on trial!

Yes I am purposefully capturing the animation so it's always looking directly at you.

Hm, everyone seems to be having huge sleep issues. Obviously we know why, but Merchantsoft really should let people know.

I mean, they won't, but they should!

More deleted pages, sadly.

Boppo's is still with the patriots!

Sandy still the coolest.

Ah. Except she's leaving for good. Hypnospace 01.01.00 is definitely feeling like the end of an era.

Ah...

Well. Nothing like a little sexism to wrap up this sad little walk through Goodtime Valley.

Heck yeah, hope I win!

Now that the movement is dead, Coolpunk's Paradise is becoming the Venue. Sad.

They've got a new sponsor though. Earmint Gum...

Are they... bundled or the same thing? Science may never give us a conclusive answer.

Even NEO_ICY is abandoning Coolpunk...

Looks like he thinks remixing Boppo's theme will be in? Results might vary.

He's 22... he'll recover.

drat, CPColdSnap is also moving on. He's the lovely teenager who made the harassment page, if you don't remember.

Hm, has he?

Oh wow, he did!

Let's look at his new movement. Newvement.

uh-huh...

ok...

This is getting out of control.

Shocking.

One day you'll discover you, Jerry!

Shocking.2

:siren: The Motivator - You Can Do It!

Here's the person who was mediating the Coolpunk Paradise. New genre, it's filled with motivational soundbytes and uplifting music.

I have to admit, the music is quite good. Completely out there for Hypnospace Outlaw I know.

:siren: The Chowder Man - Chowder Man Please Come Back Home

Hm. I think he's not doing so well. I suppose accidentally killing your friend will do that.

I really am getting that end of an era feeling.

Hm...

And what way to end it but with Coldsnap being a brat.

Sigh.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Something has already broken, although luckily it was my mic and so won't impact the LP. But there's still time...

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 15 - Mindcrash 2k

Hey, this isn't a friday! Well, leave me alone I forgot what day it was.

Checking out the rest of the zones... we've got Open Eyed!

New article, eh.

Not the BEAST!

Good advice! On to Gus.

I think he might be depressed.

Okay...

I think this might have been a no.

Back to the secrets....!!!!!

Oh!

Oh!!!

Well I've been watching some soap making tutorials recently, so I reckon I'll click on lyeing.

What! What a rip.

Here we have Sherri, who again has been banned. The page remains up I guess.

More hypnocoin for me!

And that's it for the new content in existing zones. Well, except Teentopia.

Which, you know, has been hacked.

There's even a page up to disable it... and it almost says Tim! I wonder if he's responsible!

The name is pretty clear, but we'll go to that later.

On to the pages!! And Ashley has DOUBLE beefbrain.

Hm.

Hm. I won't say that I wasn't negatively impacted by basically being thrown on the internet when younger with little supervision, but I don't this this is the right way.

Moving on, it looks like Ruth won! Heck yeah.

Pretty rad.

Tiff time! She's made a scary with Linda, that horror B Movie fan.

Ah. I wonder if Tim might have hacked the page to get her to notice him. Don't call people nicknames they don't like, friends.

She's taken the pictures down, but now we get MORE COOL SCARIES AW YEAH

Her page is the same, but hey, updated status!

Oh my god being a teenager on the internet... it's all coming back!!

Car guy still here. No new flist cars.

Interesting to note, flist now only thanks gearheadgregg and no longer credits Dylan Merchant.

Can't believe Zanes fake girlfriend broke up with him...

I only just noticed, you have to be 13 to be on Hypnospace but this Hypnospace promotion is for 11 and under only. Getting out of free pizza, or an acknowledgement that people under 13 are on Hypnospace? You decide!

On to the competition winner Ruth and...

Yep. She got booted off and doesn't know she won. Reminds me of something that's happened quite recently, actually, so. Fun. Controlling parents suck.

More deleted pages.

Hey, something new!

Time to play with legos.

Radical.

Oh, ouch. It was obvious but he had to double down and write a public apology. Ouch.

This page is still up... although he's flagged from last time, so I don't think it's going to do anything. I don't even need the Hypnocoin any more!

Well, it's different.

Think he might have been pranked.

Probably Tim. Mocking male femininity and being gay, oh yeah!!! It's 2000 AD!!!!!!!!

Ok, it was Tim.

This is still up though!

As is this. New article, eh.

Hm...

Ah...

Oh...

That's interesting.

Hey, looks like we found a case.

Whatever man, you're the one getting banned.

Hey, cheers Sam.

Yeah!

Wow, that's a lot of violations.

Haha, was Sam just waiting there for the flag?! Amazing.

And now his page is gone. Ah well.

On to Tim. All those who read Discworld knows that the answer is either "Me" or "The Guarding Dark", but we've also got the 3y3.

The FLESHY DOMAIN OF T1MAGEDDON! He's had an entire page this entire time.

Don't worry, we'll get an opportunity to see what it said in earlier days.

No!! Not hell!!

There's also M1nx, but we need a password first.

Ah well, let's solve this.

Easy!

Hm, it's just a way for Tim to talk to Tiff. I assume she blocked him.

Hurrah!

That's Teentopia fixed.

Uh... and a forced download?

Managed to solve the case...

Okay, there's more...

Uh!

Uh...?

for manslaughter

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

A lot of it is narrative control - I showed off getting 3y3 right at the start and could have blitzed in to flst and m1nx, but you aren't really supposed to know how to do that first time round. My reasoning was that I wouldn't really show anything unless it made sense, or the game hinted at it.

Glad you're enjoying it though!! My first time through was so long ago that I can't really remember it, but I do remember getting frustrated and blitzing through right at the end. Not for any real reason, I had just been playing too long and was in a bad mood.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I will take all of them. I'm not sure how they work but gimme that

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Oh hell yeah. Thank you Mr. Rendar, I've always thought Han Solo was a hack.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I tried, but it seems to be bugged. He's been banned but his page is still up, and he's now permanently flagged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Update 16 - Hindsight is 2020

Hey, weird question, do you guys remember Hypnospace? It was that weird fad from twenty years ago.

If not, let me show you.

Sorry Hypii... and after she tried to save me! So! The game now tracks what time it actually is. If this was most of this LP, you'd have seen the time was anywhere from 8pm to midnight, but I gotta be up early so I'm awake at a reasonable time!

Ugh, is this really what I thought was cool back in the 90s?

Oh, remember this dude? Alright. Let's see what we're doing.

Our last message before the crash. You're welcome, Sam.

It's 20 years later and you never learnt my name? Whatever, FrogLuvr85 will do.

Radical.

So -

Oh, it's all kicking off. Anyway! This important little dealie will track our completion. Out of 100%. And I'm going for 100%. You little gremlins better be thankful. It doesn't track some of the more jokey pages from backers and discord users, but I'll get those anyway.

I'll just upload my progress from the actual game.

Alright... fair amount. Remember this tracks redundancy, so I need to go back to pages I already visited. Let's see what else people are doing.

Books?! Oh Tamara, I'm glad you're a success. Your old hypnospace pages depressed me.

Hello hello hello.

The first one we found in FLIST at some point, so that's easy.

That sounds like one of the coolpunks, or possibly slushmouth.

I tried finding this fucker, but he wasn't in Roddy's FLIST when I looked.

It's time to solve, the Eye of Horus!

Uh... this was the guy I gave money to. Oops.

Let's see what people are up to!

If you thought Artie was playing it up on his original pages. No. He's just like this.

He's pretty much the best?

Hello Chelsea!

Standard stuff.

She a somebody now.

A somebody as a poet. Hell yeah!

Oh, it's T1m.

Poor guy. At least he's a cool dad now. Who looks a bit like me...?

Let's have a look!

Yup. Here are our confirmed victims. Tiff, Roddy and Mavis. Also Rodney, who had that funny page about secrets.

Here's a bug here - there are actually SIX potential victims. If you don't ban Zane on the final day, he dies during the mindcrash. There's also Carl Parker III, or BurnRubber50. My game seemed to bug out a bit - he had been flagged enough to be banned, but the game wasn't treating him like he was, and I got the "Five confirmed casualities" cutscene instead of four. He didn't die in the mindcrash though so, success!

Still... ouch. T1m actually killed the girl he wanted to impress.

Yep.

We seemed to have some eye damage when we woke up, so that's nice.

Right! That's the intranet all done except for one page that I'm... fairly sure I know what it is! Let's knock out some of these requests.

So using the HAP, we can now navigate to any of the three playable days. This is why I wasn't particularly worried about missing stuff out - you can't! Except for the guy who leaves on a submarine and a few of the cases, this game doesn't have missible stuff.

We can also navigate by using the corner app. This reloads the page you're on, so can be used for filling out redundant pages or seeing any changes!

Like so.

If we haven't visited a page before, we'll be told we're archiving it, in the corner. Page Get!

Right, here's chowder man.

And here's the one legged man!

That's one off the list.

Thanks Artie, you big dingus.

We can also check out all versions of his flist and uh... thanks, Chowder Man.

I'm also doing something for me. Lovesquid!

Lovesquid is pretty much the best. OK, on to lost and found 2, the lyrics of Kevv-J. Important parts are flip-flop, and some guy deleting him from a listing.

So where else do we go for being pretentious about music?

Hey, at least Inspirohaze got on the list, although that might just be because slushmouth likes the creator.

Roddy's ghost of annoying pop-up ads manages to haunt me, to the extent I got a double pop-up. I didn't even know this was possible!

Also, BWL!

Not much luck with CPColdSnap either.

Well let's gordian knot this baby.

The beat... well he's really good but it needs some editing!

Looks like this counts.

Hurray! Seems like I found it the lazy way, but ah well.

Sam... what was the point of coming onboard with a fake name?

Those of you who immedaitely guessed that T1m was being set up, well! He was! Turns out just hacking some different graphics in to a hub page won't actually kill people!

Yep. And here's our mission - to find out if the negligence was on Merchantsofts part! Now, before the Mindcrash we found one of the criteria for this, the report on Hypnospace being potentially dangerous. I showed it at that point as it doesn't actually spoil how dangerous it is, and most people assumed it was anyway. We're going to find the more damning criteria - that they knew the update was dangerous!

Oh no. The dickhead himself is on the team.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Sam again forwarding us emails she shouldn't. Love that girl.

Interesting... Anyway, back to the lost and found!

Dang. It's not here.

But through the magic of time travel...

Ta-da! I hope it brings you some comfort, Artie.

And here's the test pet! It's the eye person from his comic book. Rad.

And... it eats like this. Weird! Related to the eye though, HORUS TIME!

Still need that password. Right. Our hint here is Adrian Merchant being involved. Remember how, AGES ago, Merchantsoft had a password leak?

Well, now we can check out Tim and his pages.

It was him! And we can get some passwords.

Ta-da! Including some M1nx ones. We get to see that... slushmouth is a member?? Weird!

Anyway! Chitchat passwords. What's the bet that Adrian Merchant uses the same password for everything?

100%?

100%!

Artie was in on this? Come on Artie, you're on the team!

Sorry Sam, it literally was just a way for them to see who could hide the most Eyes of Horus in their work. On to the last lost and found... Dimitry Jackson.

Back to the ol' archives.

Well... just checked his page again. And that's the lot.

Hopefully they find the treasure that he, presumably, died getting. This is really depressing! Still. We got some passwords to M1nx...

Q: Wah Wah M1nx looks all messed up I can't read it.

A: Don't worry about it, you'll never afford the software anyway.

Jeez... what dicks! Let's bust in!

Let's go!... except this one doesn't work! Who's the least likely to change their password?

bwl

We're on M1nx! And we can browse all three dates. NEXT TIME!