Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bullshit? Of course. The arguments are fun, though. Rank a nation's presidents, prime ministers, monarchs, emperors, grand dukes, czars, shoguns, patriarchs, popes, sultans, caliphs, supreme soviets(etc) objectively, subjectively, aggressively subjectively, or by some other method, maybe imagining that the people on your list are trapped on a OG Star Trek 1930s gangster planet, and the rank who would do the best in that situation?

Nobody knows about Canadian PMs if they are not on money but this is a good start to correcting that

Similar vice article rating the coolness of American presidents

The BBC ranked the top PMs thusly:

quote:

Winston Churchill (Con)
David Lloyd George (Lib)
Clement Attlee (Lab)
H. H. Asquith (Lib)
Margaret Thatcher (Con)
Harold Macmillan (Con)
Marquess of Salisbury (Con)
Stanley Baldwin (Con)
Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Lib)
Harold Wilson (Lab)
Edward Heath (Con)
James Callaghan (Lab)
Bonar Law (Con)
Ramsay MacDonald (Lab)
Alec Douglas-Home (Con)
Arthur Balfour (Con)
John Major (Con)
Neville Chamberlain (Con)
Anthony Eden (Con)

Apparently The Times ranked all British PMs in 2010, and you are goddamn right Robert Walpole is a pole position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
trumbp #1

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Kennedy being ranked higher than LBJ generally and on anything other than communication ability or foreign policy (LBJ killed millions but Kennedy almost killed hundreds of millions or billions) is really wild to me.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Stalin

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the difference between lbjs domestic and foreign policy ranking lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kim Jong un number 1

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

all presidents are war criminals, OP

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Kennedy being ranked higher than LBJ generally and on anything other than communication ability or foreign policy (LBJ killed millions but Kennedy almost killed hundreds of millions or billions) is really wild to me.

I think it's kinda odd that Hoover can have the second worst luck but also be damned for "mishandling the economy", when a lot of lessons about "what to do when the economy shits the bed" come from the great depression

I can't really parse what "background" means either; I'm guessing "conductive to being a good president?" TRUMOPO and Chester A. Arthur, fighting for last

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think it's kinda odd that Hoover can have the second worst luck but also be damned for "mishandling the economy", when a lot of lessons about "what to do when the economy shits the bed" come from the great depression

I can't really parse what "background" means either; I'm guessing "conductive to being a good president?" TRUMOPO and Chester A. Arthur, fighting for last

Hoover should actually get some credit for partially correcting his mistakes so we have room to really poo poo on him for other bad stuff he did like rounding up Mexicans in LA for deportation.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Stalin

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Let's be honest, JFK deserves credit because the Kennedy's Literally Exploded Brains/Johnson's Huge Penis combo is the only way the Civil Rights Act of 1964 didn't end up being the Civil Rights Act of 1980 or whatever

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

*rolls Luck - Presidential check*

Oct 28, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

Let's be honest, JFK deserves credit because the Kennedy's Literally Exploded Brains/Johnson's Huge Penis combo is the only way the Civil Rights Act of 1964 didn't end up being the Civil Rights Act of 1980 or whatever

the luck score is way off then

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol at trumps foreign policy being worse than bush

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

george w bush is definitely the most impressive, 9/11 is an incredible achievement

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i would say nixon is the most interesting as a 'character'

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
trump pouring every stat point into luck lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bill clintons great domestic policy achievments, such as gutting welfare, ramping up the police state and prison industrial complex, deregulating wall street, hollowing out the middle class via nafta, etc. very good rankings.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/hocmountain/status/1253810732610859010

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzS3FlT6UcY

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

fart simpson posted:

bill clintons great domestic policy achievments, such as gutting welfare, ramping up the police state and prison industrial complex, deregulating wall street, hollowing out the middle class via nafta, etc. very good rankings.

All ranking are all about how you perceive the good and the bad

some sort of neo-confederate rear end in a top hat isn't gonna think Lincoln is great

That said I've no idea how thatcher is seen as anything but a monster

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Stalin or Mao as the best leaders.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if tom jefferson was so smart then why was he always in debt huh

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Castro the actual g.o.a.t. tbh

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Extremely lol at the #1 most integrity going to the literal slaveowner.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's racial purity.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
I forgot to mention Castro as well - dude overthrow an american client state less than 100 miles from the U.S. mainland, and then survived the CIA for 50 goddamn years while publicly denouncing capitalism, white supremacy, and imperialism on America’s doorstep.

Edit: He also survived the collapse of the USSR, too. The guy was OG as gently caress

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tulip posted:

It's racial purity.

So TRUMPSO and Chester A Arthur are the most pure, and among the most diverse is...George HW Bush?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A4R8 posted:

I forgot to mention Castro as well - dude overthrow an american client state less than 100 miles from the U.S. mainland, and then survived the CIA for 50 goddamn years while publicly denouncing capitalism, white supremacy, and imperialism on America’s doorstep.

Edit: He also survived the collapse of the USSR, too. The guy was OG as gently caress

Unless you have all the leaders arranged in a list or table nobody cares

The best to worst communist leader I think would be pretty interesting

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tito is to communism what Bernie sanders is to capitalism

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the best would be lenin for making communism real

the worst would be gorbachev for letting communism loving die

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

The only good president is a dead president imo.

FDR (also Lincoln)

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Nebakenezzer posted:

Unless you have all the leaders arranged in a list or table nobody cares

The best to worst communist leader I think would be pretty interesting

Stalin - For Defeating Nazi fascism
Mao - for telling Khruschev revisionists to get hosed. Also expanded ML.
Castro - mentioned already

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HerraS posted:

Keep going, who's second best and second worst

Who's the guy precisely in the middle

Call Your Grandma posted:

The only good president is a dead president imo.

FDR (also Lincoln)

Um hello presidents are not immortals who can only die by assassination, most of them are dead*

*Both Washington and Jackson had so many diseases in their "life"-times it's arguable they were undead

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

W. Bush's intelligence is among the lowest but I've never bought the "he's a bumbling idiot" narrative. Even if Cheney was the brains of the operation Bush himself isn't stupid, he put on the good ol' boy act for the cameras. Former advisors have said as such. He's just as evil and culpable as anyone else in his admin.

Trump however is just straight up the dumbest man to ever hold this office and the average person off the street would probably fair just as well if not better in the role.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A4R8 posted:

Stalin - For Defeating Nazi fascism
Mao - for telling Khruschev revisionists to get hosed. Also expanded ML.
Castro - mentioned already

that's not all the leaders, p. sure

I mean you already have to justify yourself to HerraS as to why Lenin isn't #1

just start with Pol Pot last, then the North Koreans, and then work your way up

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Oh I thought Lenin was a given - he’s definitely #1 for obvious reasons

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

HerraS posted:

The tier list of all the soviet leaders of consequence is in descending order chronologically

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Nebakenezzer posted:

that's not all the leaders, p. sure

I mean you already have to justify yourself to HerraS as to why Lenin isn't #1

just start with Pol Pot last, then the North Koreans, and then work your way up

Kim Il Sung was a better leader than say....Rhee Syngman

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Ok Computer
Kid A
In Rainbows
Hail to the Thief
King of Limbs
The Bends
Amnesiac
Moon Shaped Pool
Pablo Honey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nebakenezzer posted:

So TRUMPSO and Chester A Arthur are the most pure, and among the most diverse is...George HW Bush?

A mass of fantastic races swirls in your head: desert pygmees playing with their own excrement, kojkos juggling potatoes, eczema ridden mauns grinning and dancing on wooden clogs. Everyone is there, the whole race gang, plus some that you may have come up with yourself: the thieving sub-kipts and the seolite cast of Fortunates hatching some kind of scheme. In the eye of this *race empyreon*, a vertigo reaching up to the heavens, you sense something... drawing nearer... nearer...