Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I hope the artist gets another chance at something good cause I did enjoy her art. Just sucks cause act-age was legitimately something I looked forward to each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Endorph posted:

act-age is canned, over, kaput. they will continue to support the artist, whatever that means

Probably because the overwhelming sentiment on Japanese twitter(and with me) outside of sympathy for the victims of his crime, was how much this loving sucks for the artist of the series. Who is an extremely talented up and coming artist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I agree

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

Probably because the overwhelming sentiment on Japanese twitter(and with me) outside of sympathy for the victims of his crime, was how much this loving sucks for the artist of the series. Who is an extremely talented up and coming artist.

That's something, at least. People can be really awful about it when someone who makes something they like does something terrible.

Allarion posted:

I hope the artist gets another chance at something good cause I did enjoy her art. Just sucks cause act-age was legitimately something I looked forward to each week.

Yeah I was looking forward to seeing where it was going to go. It's far from the most important thing here but it does kinda suck.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Final chapter. https://twitter.com/ActAgeManga/status/1292841941470781441

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
lovely news and a drat shame. I'd put good odds on the artist being paired up with a female writer before too long, and while the reasons for that are lame I'd be interested to see a team of female creatives put out a shonen manga since I can't think of a time when that's happened off the top of my head, at least in shonen jump.

I definitely wouldn't mind somebody stepping up to write up a few pages that present at least a bit of a conclusion to the story, maybe showing the full cast for the director's dream movie all in costume or on a poster or something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

lovely news and a drat shame. I'd put good odds on the artist being paired up with a female writer before too long, and while the reasons for that are lame I'd be interested to see a team of female creatives put out a shonen manga since I can't think of a time when that's happened off the top of my head, at least in shonen jump.

I definitely wouldn't mind somebody stepping up to write up a few pages that present at least a bit of a conclusion to the story, maybe showing the full cast for the director's dream movie all in costume or on a poster or something.
Even though I found her artstyle hella charming, maybe the Demon Slayer lady might be up to it if she ever returns to take another swing at the fences?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NowonSA posted:

some of clamp's manga ran in shonen mags, though obviously never in jump

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Even though I found her artstyle hella charming, maybe the Demon Slayer lady might be up to it if she ever returns to take another swing at the fences?

Blue Exorcist comes out only once a month; maybe its mangaka could write somethin if she has some spare time!

Come to think of it, is there a good list of shonen and seinen manga by Women/NB Mangakas anywhere?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Weed Wolf posted:

Blue Exorcist comes out only once a month; maybe its mangaka could write somethin if she has some spare time!

Come to think of it, is there a good list of shonen and seinen manga by Women/NB Mangakas anywhere?
Don't have a list, but off the top of my head for Seinen:

Houseki no Kuni
Dorohedoro
Gangsta.
Mushishi
Saint Young Men
House of Five Leaves
Hourou Musuko
Sangatsu no Lion
Otoyomegatari
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Bonnouji

And Nabori no Ou is a shonen manga by an NB author which has a major NB character. I recommend it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't forget Rumiko Takahahsi, most of her stuff has been published in Shonen Sunday. :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The super big obvious one is Hiromu Arakawa with FullMetal Alchemist and Silver Spoon. She also does Arslan but I’m too lazy to google to see if it’s just art on that one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Black Stones posted:

The super big obvious one is Hiromu Arakawa with FullMetal Alchemist and Silver Spoon. She also does Arslan but I’m too lazy to google to see if it’s just art on that one.
Arslan is adapted from a novel by the Legend of the Galactic Heroes guy.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, but you can’t just take the dialogue from the novel and plop it into manga format, so I wasn’t sure if someone else was doing that. The story already being created does help quite a lot though and I guess if she has a bunch of assistants doing 2 series is easy enough.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I tried watching the Arlsan anime after reading Hiromu's Arslan manga but it didn't really hit the same beats as the manga.

It was a major downgrade.

Ergo, Hiromu is good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, but you can’t just take the dialogue from the novel and plop it into manga format, so I wasn’t sure if someone else was doing that. The story already being created does help quite a lot though and I guess if she has a bunch of assistants doing 2 series is easy enough.
Ah, yeah: She's handling all the main aspects from the manga adaptation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't remember the last time Arslan (the manga) updated.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
They removed everything. https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1295322689926828033?s=19

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theyre also cancelling production on all the previously released volumes. im pretty sure bookstores in japan with the volumes in stock are pulling them, too, though that seems to be more what they're doing on their own rather than mandated.

on the one hand i get why but on the other hand lost media sucks for any reason, esp. sicne this series wasnt even entirely by the person who committed the crime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. Also (while the reason is markedly different, of course) it reminded me of the Chihayafuru author getting her work Flower of Eden blacklisted and it not receiving any further releases due to plagiarism.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Magi is another good shounen manga with a woman author (it's also in my top 3 favorite - something about that series really pulled me in)

One thing I was surprised to find out just now is that Deadman Wonderland was apparently also written by a woman mangaka.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/1297735595452661760?s=19
https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/1297736772886069249?s=19

Statement from the artist+translator's summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
https://twitter.com/jessidhia/status/1297766567405424643