Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

:siren:Click Here For Goon PVE Server Info:siren:

(Stylish banner designed by buglord)

I was surprised to find that there’s no thread or Goon server for Conan Exiles. So I decided to make them! Do you like bloody combat? Do you like exploration? Do you like carving out a safe home/kingdom in a harsh land? Do you want to collect severed heads? Are you in search of a new game to keep you busy for a while? Read on…

What is Conan Exiles?
Conan Exiles is a survival game released in May 2018 for PC, Xbox, and PS4. It’s a fantastic little (big) game with a large open world that’s very satisfying to explore. You start out as a prisoner bound to a cross and left to die in the desert before being rescued by Conan himself! You also have a magical bracelet on your wrist that will kill you if you try to take it off or cross out of the Exiled Lands, meaning you’ll never be able to leave unless you can find a way to remove it... The combat is bloody and brutal, the nudity is full (optional), and the poop – well, you don’t poop like in Ark but you can have animals make dung for you!

Will I like it?
If you like open world exploration I think it’s worth giving this game a shot. There are online PvE and Pvp options and you can play on servers of 40+ people, solo or local coop, or anywhere in between. Also, everything is easily modifiable so you can tailor the game to exactly how you want to play it. There’s full mod support too.

If you’re intimidated by the whole survival aspect, don’t be! I never tried Rust and I bounced pretty hard off of Ark, but I got sucked right into this. The survival system is pretty straightforward – eat when your hunger meter falls, drink when your thirst meter falls. The first place you’ll head to will have plenty of food and water. There is a temperature system but it won’t really be an issue when you’re first starting out, you’ll have plenty of time to get your bearings. And you can climb (almost) everywhere!

DLC
There’s a ton of DLC, but it’s mostly cosmetic. You won’t be at a power disadvantage for not using it, and you’ll still have access to all the cool stuff in the game. So you can pick up the base game to see if you like it, then shell out for whatever DLC you decide you may want! They're still actively developing the game too, they recently released horse mounts and they're upgrading the follower system so that you can give them commands and tactics.

How’s the Combat?
It has some pretty decent third-person action with a combo system and lots of blood and dismemberment. You can stagger most opponents with melee attacks, but the same can happen to you! Use a shield to block or dual wield and dodge out of the way! Or you can focus on ranged attacks and go for head shots and crippling leg shots. Everything will be pretty dangerous to start with, but you can slowly build your way up to becoming an unstoppable demigod. The power curve kind of reminds me of Morrowind. It’s hard starting out, but you can become brokenly powerful when you know what you’re doing, especially with thralls. However, you can still die pretty easily if you let yourself get surrounded and overwhelmed by powerful foes. You have to fight smart even at endgame!

Thralls

Conan Exiles has a robust slavery thrall system where you can knock out enemy NPCs and enthrall them. This is how you’ll get guards for your home, artisans for your crafting tables, and even a companion to take with you on your journeys! Thralls will help keep you safe during the purge, lower the time and resources needed to craft things, and even unlock entirely new and upgraded versions of weapons and armor!

To get started with subjugation, make a wheel of pain. Then craft a truncheon to knock enemies out – the white bar above their health tracks their “consciousness”. Finally, craft some bindings so you can drag them back and put them on your wheel of pain. Just add gruel (combine seeds and plant fiber at a campfire), hit start, and wait for their mind to break! You can also tame beasts like wolves, tigers, rhinos, and elephants! Tons of info on thralls can be found here: https://conanexiles.gamepedia.com/Thrall

The Purge
The purge is an event where swarms of NPCs will target one of your bases to try to attack and destroy it. Think of it as a tower defense game where you can also capture exclusive thralls! You’ll want walls to protect your important structures and some archer and fighter thralls to help you in combat. There will be waves of enemies who will try to destroy your stuff. Stop them!
If you don’t like the idea of having your base sieged, you can also completely disable purges if you’re admin/playing solo. But you’ll miss out on some unique thralls, and it’s pretty easy and fun to survive a purge on default difficulty if you prepare. Put your fortifications to the test!

Leveling Up
60 is the max level, and every level gives you both attribute points and feat points. Don’t worry about making a wrong choice as you can very easily reset both with a crafted item (Yellow Lotus Potion). Attributes (S.A.V.A.G.E.S., get it!?) raise your character’s stats as detailed below from the wiki:

quote:

https://conanexiles.gamepedia.com/Attribute#List_of_Attributes

Strength "determines the damage that you do in melee."
+2% melee damage per point
Ex: Strength of 10 provides an additional 20% damage to melee attacks.
Damage is rounded to the nearest whole number.

Agility "is a measure of your ability to act after a dodge. It also has a direct effect on armor."
Faster dodge speed (also affected by armor weight class)
Additionally, faster time to act (strike, shoot, etc.) after a dodge
+4 armor per point
Ex: Agility of 10 provides 40 armor to your character.

Vitality "determines the size of your health pool." Regeneration is used to refill your supply of health.
+4% of base health (+8 health at 200 base health) per point
Ex: Vitality of 10 provides 80 health points to your character's base of 200 health.

Accuracy "determines the damage that you do with ranged weapons."
+2% ranged and thrown damage per point
Ex: Accuracy of 10 provides an additional 20% damage to ranged and thrown attacks.

Grit "determines the size of your stamina pool."
+3 stamina per point
Ex: Grit of 10 provides 30 stamina points to your character's base of 100 stamina.

Encumbrance "is a measure of how much you can carry." (Carrying more than your max makes the player over encumbered.)
+7 max carry weight per point
Ex: Encumbrance of 10 provides 70 points to your character's base of 70 max carry weight.

Survival "is a measure of your ability to live in harsh conditions. It affects how easily you metabolize food." (Kind of a junk stat tbh)

You will also get special bonuses for every 10 points you invest in a stat. Note that you will need to use more attribute points as you raise each attribute higher in rank.
Feats are what allow you to build and make things like weapons, armor, buildings, etc. Don’t forget to check what feats are available as you level, they’re key to progression!

The Journey
The Journey will gently guide you through the world by giving you some objectives to aim for and location hints. It functions as a semi-tutorial as you start out, but also will help get you to some key landmarks, story points, and bosses. It’s a good idea to follow along when you’re first starting as it gives a lot of experience points, but you can ignore it anytime and do whatever. If you happen to complete a journey step you can’t see yet it’ll unlock and track it for you, so you don’t have to worry about having to do something twice for the journey.

The Story
I didn’t really care starting out but I actually really like the story and how it’s told. You’re a prisoner condemned to death in the Exiled Lands, and it’s clear that there are ruins of a once-great civilization around you. You’ll find out more about the world through obelisks, ghosts, journals, and even the occasional non-hostile NPC.

Death
You’ll probably die a few times when you first start out. But that’s ok! By default you’ll leave everything on your corpse when you die and you’ll have to run back to collect it. You can easily turn this off (I do) and then the only penalty for dying is having to run back from your spawn point. You can have two spawn points in addition to the desert where you start out: a bed and a bedroll. It’s a good idea to have your bed at your main base and then bring a bedroll to put down closer to where you’re going to be exploring. Note that you can’t build in dungeons or within a certain distance of NPC camps.

Tips for Getting Started
I’ll include some very, very basic pointers here to help get you started. First up for character creation, don’t stress about choosing a religion. You can get them all and it’s mostly flavor – nothing critical. If you want the full experience of being completely lost and overwhelmed in a harsh world, don’t read!

When you get off the cross, follow the road in front of you and you’ll eventually wind up in a fertile river valley. You can drink and refill your canteen from the river. Press the “use” key near bushes and you’ll get plant fiber, seeds, and some insects you can eat in a pinch. Look for loose stone and branches on the ground to pick up. Use the branches and stone to make a pick, hatchet, and weapon for defense – check your feats to see what’s available to create and/or unlock. Use the hatchet to cut down trees and get some wood. Use the pick to break the big boulders and get a lot more stone.

Stone, Wood, Plant Fiber, and Branches are the basic building blocks for the first tier of structures, armor, and weapons. I’d recommend creating a bedroll to put down in a safe spot, that way if you die you won’t have to run back from the desert. Next you’ll want to build a basic sandstone shelter so that you can survive a sandstorm and have a place to horde your loot. Collect a bunch of wood and stone so you can make sandstone foundations, walls, ceilings, doorways, and doors. Build yourself a home using those components in a spot that you like. Next I’d recommend making a chest and a bed. The chest will let you store stuff, and the bed can act as a separate spawn point from the bedroll. That way you can always have your bed to respawn at in your base, and then use the bedroll as a second mobile spawn point that you can pick up and put down closer to where you’re exploring.

So now you have your essential starting materials and gear. You have a shelter from sandstorms, a place to store your stuff, and two spawn points –fixed and moveable. Now go out there and explore, there’s a ton more stuff to find!

Intermediate Tips/How do I make…?
Everything is pretty straightforward starting out, but some of the upper tiers of materials for weapons/armor can be a bit unclear on how to get them. I’ll also include a few other handy tips here:

Making Advanced (Iron+) Armor/Weapons
It’s easy and makes sense, but you’ll need a few more stations than you might think. For weapons you’ll need at least a furnace and a blacksmith bench. Place wood + ironstone (found from mining iron nodes) in the furnace to make iron bars. Then take your iron bars and some branches to the blacksmith bench to make your weapon of choice (unlocked through feats). Simple, right?

Armor will need a few more steps – an armorer’s bench and a tannery. For medium+ you’ll need leather, which requires animal hides. Get a skinning knife from scavenging or the butcher feat and skin some animals. Note that for animals like crocs, if you get reptile skin you can break it down to hides at your armorer’s bench. Then place the hides in your Tannery along with some bark (bark can be gotten in small quantities by using a pickaxe on a living tree, or in large quantities by finding dried-out trees/logs in the desert near your starting river). This will create the leather you need for your armor.
After you have your leather, bring it to your armorer’s bench along with the other required ingredients. You’ll need to craft the padding/lining for your desired slot of armor, then use that to make whatever armor you want.

Sustainable Food Generation
Food is easy to come by from a lot of sources. But if you want some easy passive food generation make a few fish traps and pop them in the river. They’ll fill over time on their own and you can just cook the fish at a campfire. If you want to move away from a water source, a large well that you can craft later will also let you place fish traps in it. It’s like a self-sufficient aquarium!

Thralls
Any type of follower thrall (Fighter, Archer, Entertainer, Bearer) works fine, and each have their pros and cons. Fighter will do the most melee damage, Archers will do the most ranged, Bearers will help you horde more poo poo, and animals are kind of like hybrid bearers/fighters. You can also have a horse to help you get around faster – next patch will let you have a horse AND a thrall with you at the same time! I personally always have an entertainer thrall with me. They can be made to do decent damage, have lots of HP, and they give you a passive regeneration buff that also removes corruption. Corruption comes from certain areas/enemies and it lowers your max health and stamina the more you’re exposed to it. But entertainers remove it so you don’t have to worry about it. Also, they’ll murder things for you then do a happy dance after! What more do you want?

Gruel (plant fiber + seeds at a campfire) is a great food source for your thralls, especially melee. It’s cheap, plentiful, and heals them. Thralls get a bonus chance to level a stat based on the first source of food they consume after leveling up, and gruel gives +14% chance to strength.

Steel
There are two good ways to get steel: crafting and :black101:

:black101:
Nordheimers in the northern part of the map. Kill them and they have a good chance of dropping steel bars, tools, and weapons. You can also craft a dismantling bench eventually to break down items for components, so those steel items can be turned into bars! This is my preferred method, I have mountains of steel just from killing lots of enemies.

Crafting
5 Iron Bars and 1 Steelfire smelted in a furnace gives you 1 steel bar. Steelfire is crafted at a Firebowl Cauldron and requires 2 tar (byproduct from the tannery) and 1 brimstone (found occasionally from certain enemies or semi-rare nodes in certain areas). You need a lot more stuff to craft steel and you probably won’t stumble on to a ton of brimstone until later, so I found it easier to just go pillaging for my steel.

Hardened Steel
1 Black Ice and 1 Steel Bar smelted in a furnace. Black ice is mined from distinctly black-colored ice clusters in very remote, cold areas of the map. You can check the wiki for exact locations, but if you want to explore you’ll have to go to some pretty out-of-the-way places to find it… The good news is that each cluster will give you tons of black ice so once you do find it you can bring plenty back with you!

Useful Links

Conan Exiles Wiki

Attribute Calculator

Dedicated Server Launcher - Easy-to-use tool from Funcom to run your own dedicated server at home. Note it can be janky getting the server to run off the same machine as the game, at minimum you’ll need to select “Multihome” and enter the IP address of 127.0.0.1 in order to connect. If you're still having issues connecting, try changing the steam query port to 27017. If you have otherr issues getting it to work ask in here and I'll try to help!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Reserved.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

If you're looking to get in on the ground floor on the goon server, now is a good time! The server is growing but we still have plenty of room. Come give it a shot!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im gonna do it

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
This game is only ok. It looks pretty and building is fun. Combat blows.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I haven't played in about a year. I was unimpressed with the Thrall system since they were basically nothing more than glorified furniture.

Now that they added mounts and let you take Thralls out as companions I may give it a shot again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So the word is that Funcom has a license for Dune now and will be putting out a Dune game similar to this one.

https://screenrant.com/dune-game-open-world-funcom-multiplayer-conan-exiles/

I assume it's okay to speculate wildly about how they're going to gently caress it up in this thread?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Spanish Matlock posted:

So the word is that Funcom has a license for Dune now and will be putting out a Dune game similar to this one.

I assume it's okay to speculate wildly about how they're going to gently caress it up in this thread?

Conan Exiles was dangerously close to being good. If they can apply even an ounce of what they learned here (assuming they learned anything) then the game could be good.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game is only ok. It looks pretty and building is fun. Combat blows.

Combat used to be pretty fun until late last year when they decided to change the entire movement system to something worse, did a poll on their forums that overwhelmingly told them this was bad, people want the old system back, changed it slightly, did another poll with the same result and went well gently caress all of you, you're not getting the old system back.

That made my life easier since I don't get bugged about renting a server for my group twice a year anymore since they all refuse to play this game anymore. That's my story hope you liked it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Morglon posted:

Combat used to be pretty fun until late last year when they decided to change the entire movement system to something worse, did a poll on their forums that overwhelmingly told them this was bad, people want the old system back, changed it slightly, did another poll with the same result and went well gently caress all of you, you're not getting the old system back.

That made my life easier since I don't get bugged about renting a server for my group twice a year anymore since they all refuse to play this game anymore. That's my story hope you liked it.

It sounds exactly like mine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I keep trying to get into this game on PC and bouncing off of it. I wish the crafting wasn't the main focus of the game. It feels like there is barely a survival aspect, and unless I am really missing something, there are almost no quests or other activities to do. The world of Conan is suppose to have huge cities and a large population. So going into this game, I had the expectation that there would also be a lot of quests and PvE content, it really had none of that. I know I could just play Age of Conan instead for that, but I was hoping to have the Conan world as a single player open world game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's a survival / crafting PvP game. Like rust.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Oh they wish they had the numbers Rust has.

Edit: V go to options and set it to maximum nudity, it's less by default.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 28, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did the dong slider get censored out in the US steam version? Google says it was for consoles, but nothing about PC

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Spanish Matlock posted:

I know less about Dune than I do about Conan, but that seems pretty cool. I'll definitely check it out.

I said come in! posted:

I keep trying to get into this game on PC and bouncing off of it. I wish the crafting wasn't the main focus of the game. It feels like there is barely a survival aspect, and unless I am really missing something, there are almost no quests or other activities to do. The world of Conan is suppose to have huge cities and a large population. So going into this game, I had the expectation that there would also be a lot of quests and PvE content, it really had none of that. I know I could just play Age of Conan instead for that, but I was hoping to have the Conan world as a single player open world game.

I won't say it's AAA story telling by any means, but there is some pretty decent background story for why you're there and what all those ruins are. It's a slow burn to piece it together but if you follow the journal it eventually loops you into the story once you get passed the intro. There is a friendly city too, although if you're looking for branching dialogue or something like that yeah this probably isn't for you.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It would have been really smart to give the northern and jungle cities the same treatment that the desert city got. The northern city especially is hella disappointing that you just have this huge settlement full of people that is essentially just a very fancy wasp nest.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I dunno why but I keep coming back to this game. For some reason this game manages to hit that spot in my brain that wants me to make pretty (read: entirely too big) bases. The last one I made was basically a mansion held up on top of a lake, connected to the shore where I had my fortifications and army of the same named archer thrall. Maybe I should look at the goon server, especially since it seems to be somewhat fresh and I have been getting the urge to play again recently.

Also, I swear the biggest mechanic of this game at least to me is the thrall system. I spend more time scouring the landscape for a named armorer or something than actually gathering ressources. The bonuses the crafting thralls give are amazing (50% less crafting time and 50% cost reduction for a named one? Hell yeah, especially if they can also make flawless versions of equipment you are using) and they make bases feel more lived-in as you got several buff, oiled men and women working away at your stations.

And speaking of things making life easier, at least on pve servers I found that encumbrance is one of the best stats to level. In a game that has you gather a lot of ressources, being able to carry more per trip helps out a bunch. Especially when you are busy grabbing something that is a decent trip away from your base, like crystals or brimstone tend to be on my end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Holy poo poo there's a lot of mods for this. Including what looks like an offline mode?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I really liked this game, and it consumed my entire summer last year. I played with a group of friends on a private PvE server and I found the base-building especially to be very robust and interesting. The world is pretty varied and fun to explore as well.

The official PvP servers are where the real action is at, of course. It's significantly less fun, if only because the established players are going to be weeks/months ahead of you in terms of resources and progression, and there is nothing discouraging them from ganking you in the wild or wrecking all your stuff while you're logged off. Lots of the typical immaturity/toxicity in the community as well.

If you play this as an exploration game on a quiet server, I think you'll have a lot of fun solo. Playing with a group of people you know is a blast, though. Take the PvP servers with a heap of caution, though.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Greader posted:

I dunno why but I keep coming back to this game. For some reason this game manages to hit that spot in my brain that wants me to make pretty (read: entirely too big) bases. The last one I made was basically a mansion held up on top of a lake, connected to the shore where I had my fortifications and army of the same named archer thrall. Maybe I should look at the goon server, especially since it seems to be somewhat fresh and I have been getting the urge to play again recently.

Also, I swear the biggest mechanic of this game at least to me is the thrall system. I spend more time scouring the landscape for a named armorer or something than actually gathering ressources. The bonuses the crafting thralls give are amazing (50% less crafting time and 50% cost reduction for a named one? Hell yeah, especially if they can also make flawless versions of equipment you are using) and they make bases feel more lived-in as you got several buff, oiled men and women working away at your stations.

And speaking of things making life easier, at least on pve servers I found that encumbrance is one of the best stats to level. In a game that has you gather a lot of ressources, being able to carry more per trip helps out a bunch. Especially when you are busy grabbing something that is a decent trip away from your base, like crystals or brimstone tend to be on my end.

Man, I know exactly what you mean. I love building in this and I spent way more time than I thought I would thrall hunting. I haven't been this sucked into a game in years! I'm glad I didn't play from release though, having just jumped in I'm having a blast. Sure seem to be a lot of salty old-timers though...

The Lone Badger posted:

Holy poo poo there's a lot of mods for this. Including what looks like an offline mode?

Yeah you can play this entirely offline, there's a solo/local coop option right on the main menu.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Hakarne posted:

Yeah you can play this entirely offline, there's a solo/local coop option right on the main menu.

Worth noting that local coop has a pretty strict tether.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

TaurusTorus posted:

Worth noting that local coop has a pretty strict tether.

Yeah, I'd actually recommend running your own dedicated server for coop. Funcom released an official tool that makes it pretty easy.

Dedicated Server Launcher

Note it can be janky getting the server to run off the same machine as the game, at minimum you’ll need to select “Multihome” and enter the IP address of 127.0.0.1 in order to connect. If you're still having issues connecting, try changing the steam query port to 27017.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
A couple tips I can give for people, might as well spoiler it in case people wanna discover things on their own:

Fish traps are useful for more than just food. The fish can be put into a fluid press to gain oil, which is a surprisingly good fuel. the unappitizing fish specifically give the most oil. With enough fish traps you can basically make your furnaces run entirely on fish. This way you got a reliable fuel source when settling near water, even if no coal is nearby. Also if I remember right, at least the unappitizing fish when they rot give ichor which can be useful for alchemy stuff.

Speaking of rot, any item dumped into a compost bin that can rot will have it's timer sped up a bunch. Since it requires rotten meat for fertilizers, you can basically dump excess meat into it to speed up the process of getting it.

The OP already touched on it, but human enemies in general drop a lot of ressources of various types. Bark for example can be a pain to gather normally but going through a few camps is a good way to stock up on it as well as other incidental things like glass flasks and fibers (before unlocking a sickle). Different areas seem to have different drops too, so it can be worth it to slug it out in tougher areas if you can handle them.

The wall climbing in this game is actually useful for moving lower as well as for moving up! Fall damage can be pretty deadly in this game, but you can safely grapple onto a wall even when going at terminal velocity. It is entirely possible to jump off a cliff, then grab onto it to negate your momentum in order to get down safely. Depending on how spicy you are feeling you can even grab on at the very last second, while you do slide down a decent way if you are going fast enough, said slide does not do any fall damage when connecting to the ground.

Speaking of climbing, your armor weight-class has a huge impact on how fast you go through stamina. You can see what armor class you are considered to be wearing as in your inventory screen, it depends on what you wear and how much of it you do. This does mean that a totally valid strategy when faced with a wall to climb is to shove your heavy armor into the inventory and scale the cliff entirely in your underwear (or lack thereof). So if you see someone climbing a wall entirely naked, chances are they are not just being a weirdo but also got actual gameplay reasons for doing that :v:

When trying to recruit thralls, depending on the server it can be a decent idea to make a wheel of pain right next to a big enemy camp or a area where you know the one you want spawns at. This makes it easier to run back and forth with any new buddies, especially if your base is further away. Keep in mind though that this might not be a good idea on servers where people can steal from you or destroy stuff. Also, you might wanna ask if doing this is okay on servers that are more active since if everyone started doing that then the areas around any camp would probably get cramped real quick.

Dunno how many, if any, new players are reading this but hopefully some of this will help someone

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What mods should I get to start with, and is there any balance I need to alter if I play to play true-solo?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Lone Badger posted:

What mods should I get to start with, and is there any balance I need to alter if I play to play true-solo?

I highly recommend the two I have on the goon server, pickup+ and Less Building Placement Restrictions. Other than that I'd say a lot of the tweaking can be done via the in-game server settings to your personal preferences. The big one I'd say is the thrall crafting timer if you're not using a persistent server - they will only progress when the "server" is running so if you're in solo/coop that will only be when you're actually playing.

If there's something in particular that bugs you that isn't in the server settings then start looking to see if there are any mods to address the issue. Some people like a mod to lower boss health for soloing, but everything in this game can be solo'd at default settings pretty easily once you're geared up and know what to do. But hey, that's up to you!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 1, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I need an absurd amount of iron. Where do I even start looking?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Lone Badger posted:

I need an absurd amount of iron. Where do I even start looking?

It's generally closer or slightly in to the desert but you can still find it near the river up against hills/mountains. I'd recommend crafting an iron pick first, that will greatly increase how much you mine and you'll be swimming in it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hakarne posted:

It's generally closer or slightly in to the desert but you can still find it near the river up against hills/mountains. I'd recommend crafting an iron pick first, that will greatly increase how much you mine and you'll be swimming in it.

Ah I was wondering what the upgrades did seeing as the harvest speed is already pretty fast. Well guess that's my next target.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm getting ~20 ironstone from each node now instead of ~4.

It's getting time for me to build a new, defensible camp somewhere more central. I'm guessing a ring palisade with walkways to position archers on and a layered gatehouse?
If I have stuff outside the walls will the Purge smash it?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm getting ~20 ironstone from each node now instead of ~4.

It's getting time for me to build a new, defensible camp somewhere more central. I'm guessing a ring palisade with walkways to position archers on and a layered gatehouse?
If I have stuff outside the walls will the Purge smash it?

Based on my understanding and experience, the purge targets a specific building part like a foundation or wall. You'll see the icon on the map for the exact spot. The game will spawn NPCs a little ways out and send them to that destination from a few different directions and they will destroy anything they encounter along the way. Having a few Archers perched up high with good line of sight is a great idea. Having 1-2 fighters to cover each side of your base should be plenty - and give them some gruel to keep their health up! The Archers will pick away at them and the fighters will engage and kill.

If you're online and want to go for the capture, give your fighters some truncheons and they'll help knock people out for you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why can't my Stygian Armorer III make me Exceptional Stygian Raider Armour? I thought that was how it worked.
(I have the recipe for the normal version of the armour, I thought matching cultures was what I needed to do. My Darfari Armorer III could make Exceptional Darfari Armor, so I presumed I wanted a Stygian armorer for the stygian armor)
All this guy wants to make is Exceptional versions of the standard light/medium/heavy armours. No cultural stuff at all.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 3, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm trying to steal some chieftains from the vanir city but I can't seem to find any. Are they a low-% spawn?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm trying to steal some chieftains from the vanir city but I can't seem to find any. Are they a low-% spawn?

It seems all chieftains share a 1% spawn location. Settling in the north around New Asagarth and hoping for a purge seems like a better play.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

If y'all on the fence for playing, come join the server in PGS. Been having some real fun with all the goons there.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

I will say that of all the "Minecraft for adults" games, this one is easily my favorite because of climbing, RPG systems, and the thrall system. And seriously, having a dedicated server to play on is the way to go.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

TaurusTorus posted:

I will say that of all the "Minecraft for adults" games, this one is easily my favorite because of climbing, RPG systems, and the thrall system. And seriously, having a dedicated server to play on is the way to go.

The climbing really makes this game special. From what I've seen its similar to breath of the wild

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

:siren:Steam Free Weekend For Conan Exiles! Try it out!:siren:

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
I'm a huge fan of this game (about to hit 1000 hours played). But people should know going into it that there is frequently jank on par with a Bethesda game. Examples since last weeks patch: currently purges are bugged (again) in a new and excitingly horrible way, and should probably be disabled until patched. Or in more benign ways like follower thralls can't sword and board because they'll only try to use the shield. The good news is Funcom has already gotten out two bug hotfixes for PC with more promised soon.

If that doesn't put you off then I highly recommend this game!

Hakarne, amazing OP. One correction, one tip.

Regarding leather:
You can put crocodile and any other skins directly in the tanning station to get leather. The armor bench options are there if you specifically need hide to make something.

Steel production:
There are brimstone nodes in Sinners Refuge, a cave north of newbie river filled with Exiles. A single pass will earn 300-750 brimstone depending on tool quality/fittings. This is the only place with these nodes in the game.

A word about modding Conan and some mod recommendations:

Adding mods is dead simple, find something you like on the Steam Workshop, subscribe, load game, enable/sort from the mod menu on the main screen, restart game, go. The only big thing to keep in mind is "Whatever is lowest in the list wins a conflict". Make sure you read mod descriptions as some mods like the essential 'Less Building Placement Restrictions' have to load after new building assets to work with them.

A lot of mods have configuration options only accessible to someone with admin powers. If you're playing a single player game, open the console with '~' and type MakeMeAdmin.

With that in mind, here is a list of quality mods that give you a vanilla++ experience that all play nicely together:

Gameplay mods:

ModControlPanel - Required for configure some of the other mods. Does what it says on the lid, 100% better than typing commands into the console.

Less Building Placement Restrictions - In a game that features building bases so prominently it has a number of overbearing limits on where you can build and how you can attach building parts to each other. If you want to build cool looking stuff, you have to have this. This is the first mod on the list by the modder 'Multigun' so I'll mention here that he is the gold standard for Conan modding. If you only download one mod, it should be this one.

Unlock Plus (with pickup) - Use this instead of Pickup+, doubly so if you're playing online. Besides adding locking options that are missing from some containers/doors, it also adds thrall protection to all workstations. This means even if you leave a crafting station unlocked only the owner/clan can move the crafting thrall. This opens up the possibility of public crafting stations without risking the theft of your T4 thralls. If you're playing solo the only option you're using this for is the ability to pick up any placed building piece/crafting station. (Try placing an animal pen correctly on the first try) This is still the better option to Pickup+ because frankly Pickup+ tends to break the interaction wheel every update and, at least historically, clashes with other mods.

Level 140 - Unlock Everything - Reaching 60 isn't really that hard, and there is still so much to do, why should your numbers stop getting bigger? There are a few keep leveling past 60 mods, this one is the most vanilla. It follows the games default progression of exp/stats/feats per level. You'll never actually reach level 140, but you'll no longer lament the exp you were losing out on. Another Multigun mod.

Legendary Chests - Adjustable Level Requirement - Mandatory if you're using the previous mod (You'd actually need to reach 140 to open Legendary Chests). Optional depending on your tastes without. Once again, Multigun.

Niflheimr - MiniMap - There are a number of minimap mods, this one gets bonus points for having both a lot of extras (zoom in/out, numeric x/y location, real time, game time, map markers with names) and the option to toggle every option at any time.

I just want to look cool mods:

Fashionist - The only thing better in life than crushing your enemies is looking good doing it. Adds an armor stand you can dress up with the armor you want to appear to be wearing and then imports it to the new style slots added to your inventory screen. These style slots can be cleared at any time, or toggled between style/actual/hidden. Wear the stupid looking armor set with the good bonuses and run around with your cock out for Crom. Also shows last used weapon/shield/tool on your character.

CharEditLite - Ever get 20 hours into a game and realize your character looks stupid? Of course you have. This is the mod for editing your appearance. Also editing the appearance of your thralls, and changing the clothes on workstation thralls. Usage isn't super intuitive at first but it works. Shard system even allows saving and sharing of appearances.

Additional content mods:

Arena Pier - What started off as fix for the glaring omission of pillars to go with the vaulting ceilings added with the Blood and Sand DLC, this mod has grown to add a number of additional pieces good for anyone even without that DLC. The number one reason you want this will be for 2x2 gates that match every base game building set. No longer are you limited to small door or massive gate. And yes mounted characters clear the new gates. Also includes a cool iron bar set for building cages and a number of archways and supports.

Northern Timber - Same author as Arena Pier, same scope creep. Started as a Tier 1 building set that matched the colors of the northern map, now includes a T2 and 3 set of wooden style buildings with options for snow covered roofs. Quality stuff.

Savage Steel and Savage Steel Vol II - SO MANY NEW PLACEABLES. Not for the faint of heart or weak of computer. But if you're looking to decorate your base, this should be your first start. Quality of the content is great even if I don't personally feel all the items quite fit the setting. But that's up to you.

This poo poo is close to cheating mods:

Tier 4 Thralls - Mild Increased Spawn - Increases the spawn rate of named thralls from about 1% to about 10%, also as a bonus adds missing thralls back into the spawn tables. Really helps for solo players who don't have the benefit of a whole clan looking for T4s. Also available in a 20% chance version.

Lumbermill and Mining - Adds three buildings that let you put in food and get back basic resources (wood, stone, iron ore) over time. Spend more time being a hero and less time being a gatherer.

So you want to make your own mods? Good news! The Conan Exiles Dev Kit is available from the Epic Games Store, for free, for anyone to use. Requires 185GB of disk space. That's not a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

I'm a huge fan of this game (about to hit 1000 hours played). But people should know going into it that there is frequently jank on par with a Bethesda game. Examples since last weeks patch: currently purges are bugged (again) in a new and excitingly horrible way, and should probably be disabled until patched. Or in more benign ways like follower thralls can't sword and board because they'll only try to use the shield. The good news is Funcom has already gotten out two bug hotfixes for PC with more promised soon.

If that doesn't put you off then I highly recommend this game!

Hakarne, amazing OP. One correction, one tip.

Regarding leather:
You can put crocodile and any other skins directly in the tanning station to get leather. The armor bench options are there if you specifically need hide to make something.

Steel production:
There are brimstone nodes in Sinners Refuge, a cave north of newbie river filled with Exiles. A single pass will earn 300-750 brimstone depending on tool quality/fittings. This is the only place with these nodes in the game.

A word about modding Conan and some mod recommendations:

Hey thanks for all of that! It's amazing some of the basic stuff I'm still learning about even after all the time I've spent.

As far as mods, I've been trying to keep them to a minimum on our server since it's a shitshow when one of them updates. For those that don't know, the server has to be offline to update mods. The problem is Steam will automatically download mod updates for people on their individual machines, so if someone gets a new version of the mod before the server does they can't log in until the server updates. The "best" way I've found to handle this is to have my server check for updates once an hour, and if it finds one it restarts and installs it (so no one is locked out for more than an hour). Unfortunately, there isn't a way to alert anyone online that the server is restarting when those ad-hoc updates are triggered so everyone just gets dumped without warning. It's poo poo, but it's better than having everyone locked out for a day.

Do you know of any better way to handle updates? Because I'm open to suggestions!