Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
You can have thralls and pets guard your area, but a max-level player will blow through anything you set up there.

Personally I think this works better as a PvE co-op game. Some people seem to love the PvP, but it didn't do anything for me, since most of the time you're not even around when people are attacking your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

WhiteHowler posted:

You can have thralls and pets guard your area, but a max-level player will blow through anything you set up there.

Personally I think this works better as a PvE co-op game. Some people seem to love the PvP, but it didn't do anything for me, since most of the time you're not even around when people are attacking your stuff.

It's really a shame because Conan probably comes closest to getting it right in that regard. Letting you simply staff your base with player-like entities to defend it is so close to what a survivavl game needs to be to make PVP viable for small groups. The game just also doesn't have very good combat AI so killing those entities is trivial even when they have max-level equipment.

Every PVP survival game degenerates into offline can opening, which is fine, it just means that you need to focus design time on enabling the player to make a can that is fun to both defend in person and raid when empty. There's usually a part of any survival game's life cycle where players optimize building designs to make the hardest possible base to raid and then people optimize raiding plans to make those bases trivial to raid again.

I think the best solution to the overall problem still lies with making the PVE more punishing. There needs to be an opportunity cost for base raiding or PVP will always be dominated by larger groups of high level players cracking boxes and stealing all the mid-level resources from everyone else.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Spanish Matlock posted:

Every PVP survival game degenerates into offline can opening, which is fine, it just means that you need to focus design time on enabling the player to make a can that is fun to both defend in person and raid when empty.

I am never going to understand the appeal of offline pvp, the real problem is there is never going to be anything fun about getting raided while offline

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Flesh Forge posted:

I am never going to understand the appeal of offline pvp, the real problem is there is never going to be anything fun about getting raided while offline

I learned this playing TradeWars BBS door games circa 1992.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Yeah for sure, honestly I think the raid timers are too long and too frequent. It's every day in the evening for like 5 hours or something. I can't commit myself to sitting on my base for that long every single day. It would be better if it was a smaller window on a weekend or something. You can still dunk on players outside of those times you just can't nuke their base.

I'm pretty sure it's server configurable but these default timers are what the official servers are using and I honestly wouldn't want to join a rando hosted pvp server for obvious reasons.

I think my real hope for PvP stuff was to encounter players out in the wild and have some tense fights but in reality that's just not it. It's the offline can-opening instead. I can recover pretty easily from getting dunked and losing everything on my player. But losing all that and everything I had back home because I wasn't online at the right time is just kinda poo poo.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 17, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it sucks even in big MMOs like Eve, if offline raiding is allowed then people are absolutely going to prefer it because it's much easier to exploit and win, and people like winning, regardless of whatever they say about ~competition~ and ~challenge~. incredible to me that in spite of decades of examples of this just never working the same concept continues to get iterated without recognizing the core problem lol

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Flesh Forge posted:

it sucks even in big MMOs like Eve, if offline raiding is allowed then people are absolutely going to prefer it because it's much easier to exploit and win, and people like winning, regardless of whatever they say about ~competition~ and ~challenge~. incredible to me that in spite of decades of examples of this just never working the same concept continues to get iterated without recognizing the core problem lol

Eve sort of addresses this by allowing the defender to set the timers so that the fights happen at a time favorable (in theory) to them. Also any big fight over structures happens in a series of fights with a reasonably long lead time because of those timers, allowing the defender to rally the troops.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I guess, we sure spent a lot of time shooting offline people's structures when I was doing stuff with Goonfleet :shrug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess, we sure spent a lot of time shooting offline people's structures when I was doing stuff with Goonfleet :shrug:

Yeah.. once the other side's moral collapses there is a lot of structure shooting (or used to be, the system keeps evolving and I am way out of date). Also the first attack to start the timers can be whenever.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Flesh Forge posted:

True. To be fair getting raided is never fun. At least in person you are theoretically at fault for losing. I just think the genre needs to take a long hard look at how to give players agency in how their stuff is handled offline.

There's basically no way to get security through obscurity in most survival games, since the maps are pretty small and structures are extremely obvious. That being said the alternative has to incorporate some kind of offline raiding or else you'd be stuck never being able to raid anyone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

security through obscurity is completely refusing to engage with it at all, when people are doing that in significant in numbers it's a really good sign your game design is terrible :shrug:
if you can't find a way to give the defender some incentive to defend, most preferably "it's really fun", then yeah people are going to refuse to engage with your pvp mechanics

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i think every time i've ever tried a game with offline raiding I get about as far as I can building tiny hideaways of supplies and when it gets to the point where you need significantly more than that, I just quit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

security through obscurity is completely refusing to engage with it at all, when people are doing that in significant in numbers it's a really good sign your game design is terrible :shrug:
if you can't find a way to give the defender some incentive to defend, most preferably "it's really fun", then yeah people are going to refuse to engage with your pvp mechanics

See I disagree with that. I've definitely had fun on early days PVP servers finding places to hide a small, self-sufficient base and sneaking around to do poo poo. When the northlands came out in Conan we raided a base and successfully hosed off to a small crevice in the mountains somewhere with our ill-gotten loot and managed to operate from there for a couple weeks before we were found out. There is fun to be had in the experience of being a small fish in a big pond, the game just has to support it, mechanically. At the end of the day, base raiding should probably be less about destruction and more about tracking people down, picking locks, disarming traps, that sort of thing. I think the minute you have any kind of C4+Wall interaction you've basically screwed the pooch on interesting base raids.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd be quite happy to play a pvevp game where the pvp is player constructed pve

Tower defense, but you're either building or playing the goons attacking the build, more or less

there's a few games that do some of that if you squint, but it isn't the focus of any big ones I can think of

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

victrix posted:

I'd be quite happy to play a pvevp game where the pvp is player constructed pve

Tower defense, but you're either building or playing the goons attacking the build, more or less

there's a few games that do some of that if you squint, but it isn't the focus of any big ones I can think of

Super Mario Maker: Conan Edition

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

See I disagree with that.

not saying no one likes this! just almost no one!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Next update looks REALLY INTERESTING :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8-H6eyHNIE

e: probably the biggest change is they're basically doing away with the super dark night cycle, it's going to be a daily solar eclipse that just makes it somewhat dim rather than pitch black

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 23, 2023

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Golems are going to be really cool. It looks like this update is almost entirely exiled lands specific, which is fine, because siptah is not a great time. (All the best golem parts are going to end up being siptah exclusive, I'm sure)

I wasn't too excited to see the golem harvesting amount on the stream, though. Even if they were doing 1x harvest rate etc. etc., 12 wood from a tree isn't a lot.

Maybe funcom will even fix the auth problem before it comes out!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'd be surprised if that isn't a user configurable setting. re: Siptah it's wild how they still haven't gotten around to fixing whatever foliage LOD problem causes the whole area around the Isle of Dawn to have terrible FPS when your camera faces it, dozens of people have reported that problem and they just leave it broken :shrug:

I'm otherwise mostly OK with Siptah although I'm pretty done with the whole Maelstrom mechanic, it looks ugly and I'm just not interested in engaging with the whole "farm for a week to do the leyshrine" gimmick.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

My dream Conan experience is to be able either freely travel between the two maps or just merge them somehow. There's a mod out in the wild that lets you travel between a Siptah server and an Exiled Lands server in a sorta cluster arrangement, but you need to spin up a web server to act as a control node.

Honestly, with as long as this game has been out and as expensive as the DLC/monetization is, we're owed a third map.

Siptah is definitely a better place to build big things on. I guess my main complaint with Siptah is that it doesn't feel as full or lived in as Exiled Lands? EL also has more variety in stuff to keep you occupied.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Siptah really seems like it was designed to be ~THE BIG CLAN PVP~ map, considering how all the high end resources are just sitting in the center of the map lightly-defended by NPCs, I guess the intent was that a server would have 50 people all constantly fighting over the starmetal spawn :shrug:

I do wish the Exiled Lands map did not have the whole aesthetic of terrible weather and generally much uglier landscape the farther north you progress, I guess I should look for a mod that makes the weather look less ugly or something

e: sure enough there's a bunch of weather mods on steam :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 26, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rudeboy Detective posted:

My dream Conan experience is to be able either freely travel between the two maps or just merge them somehow. There's a mod out in the wild that lets you travel between a Siptah server and an Exiled Lands server in a sorta cluster arrangement, but you need to spin up a web server to act as a control node.

I play singleplayer, which allows me to travel back and forth. (Admittedly via the main menu rather than an in-game travel option)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Conan Exiles finally deployed the Chapter 3 big update just now, it changes the early game enough that if you're in the mood for a new playthrough or brand new it's a good time to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QauAwwcVrXE

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/440900?emclan=103582791454820402&emgid=3691300790682310345

e: Steam has the base game for sale for 70% off too ($12US)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 14, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did they change anything about the early game besides a new pair To Do of checklists?

That news post doesn’t mention much else in that regard.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 14, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They did a complete revamp of the "Journey" system that's basically the integrated tutorial/new player thing except now there are pretty interesting rewards (the one for thrall breaking e.g. awards a hood that gives +65% concussion damage)
They added a craftable golem system where you can forage for pieces and resources and make a whole rear end guy to fight or harvest resources for you (apparently you can set them to mine coal or stone or harvest wood or whatever)
Revamped the area around Mek Khamoses' tower and added some quests that lead to the new dungeon/boss encounter stuff

:shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That must’ve come out a lot harsher than I intended lol.

The news post doesn’t really mention that the system now includes neat little rewards, though I guess the screenshot (tiny on my phone) shows it. That is cool, that helmet would probably be a huge boon to early thrall gathering lol.

As for the golems, what fool would dabble in Vile Sorcery? All I need is the paltry gifts Crom gave me at birth. :colbert:

What’s that? Powerful fashion tools? Well, maybe a liiitle soul damning sorcery…

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the biggest thing for me in all of Sorcery is the thrall perk reroll potion tbh, I don't even use the harvesting spell because I actually like going around hitting trees and rocks because I'm a huge dork
e: lol the old saying about "don't play on launch day" is still true I guess

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 14, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The new Journey stuff is kind of rough. A lot of topics stay locked until you buy the skill, and the skills are locked by level so new players may not notice that for a while. Some of the conditions for tasks like "use a pick to obtain bark from a tree" are a little buggy as well, I had some bark in my inventory already when I got that task and even though I harvested more bark it wouldn't progress until I dropped what I had and got some more. :shrug:

Some of the rewards are pretty interesting though, I just got an Improved Tanner's Table (not exactly sure what's improved about it but w/e)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can’t get the “kill and enemy with a bow” journey step for Aecher to complete. I even when out and shot a bow armed enemy just in case I was misinterpreting it. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it might be looking for a very specific bow and the stated req might be wrong :shrug:
e: or ammo!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It was the basic beginner bow I crafted to fulfill one of the previous steps, lol.

I’m guessing it’s just a bug that will hopefully be fixed soon, I was just amused by my little moment of “wait does ‘with a bow’ mean something much more obtuse?” :v:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Been a while since I've touched this game, and I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but is there any method for balancing crafting/spoiling timers in single player? I know I can adjust the server settings, but I couldn't really find a reasonable compromise between "might as well just admin-spawn these items", and leaving the game idling overnight. Especially for thrall taming, where the only settings were "why even bother building a bigger wheel" and "you will never have a tier 2 or higher thrall".

Is there maybe a way to hotkey server settings presets, so I can just fast-forward for a few minutes after booting the game up?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

turn that poo poo down to 25% or 10% imo

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I had a longer post typed out, but what it boils down to is, in my mind, I can't thread the needle between "you're already cheating, so just use admin mode and lose interest within 30 minutes", and "this is completely unplayable". I just want to engage with the systems as designed, which isn't actually possible in single-player mode.

Tweaking the settings could help, but there's so many weird and fucky details, like how the spoilage setting affects torch longevity, or thrall training time affects animal produce generation, or how wheel of pain food and furnace/campfire fuel consumption are controlled by the same slider. Unless they fixed all that since last time I played. I'm not willing to redownload just to check.

Yeah it's dumb to obsess about how much food is being spent, but it bugs me anyway.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
How does the single player transfer between maps thing work, anyways? I've seen a bunch of conflicting reports. It's a thing, no it isn't, it was but was removed, etcetera. Would like to know for certain before I risk losing my saves.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Spoilage goes away once you can craft an icebox. Also do yourself a favor and get Unlock Plus, it allows you to:
- expand container and workbench inventory space to be whatever you want, because gently caress rummaging through 20 boxes to find the particular kind of bear rear end you need, so you can store all your garbage in a single box
- have workbenches pull materials for any given recipe from boxes (i.e. your single box with all your bear asses in it)
- pull materials for construction from your general bullshit box out to an arbitrary range which you can set to whatever
- mass-transfer everything in your inventory into a container in one click (this is configurable to let you keep 1 stack of bandages etc)

Transferring between maps just makes a copy of your character's state with everything equipped and in inventory and lets you start in another map. You can even go back and forth. I don't know what happens to constructions and contents of containers though.

e: forgot links, oops
Unlock Plus:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=877108545

Related, Stacksize Plus:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396310739

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 16, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I only ever play Single Player, so I just set Thrall crafting time to the absolute minimum, because if I've spent a bunch of time trying to actually find a thrall I want, I don't want to spend the next 18 hours of in-game time waiting for them to be converted.
The only people being cheated are all those worthless T1-T3 crafters I massacred to get the right spawn, and they deserved it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the default crafting times are just nuts, nobody got time for that bullshit

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can’t get the “kill and enemy with a bow” journey step for Aecher to complete. I even when out and shot a bow armed enemy just in case I was misinterpreting it. :v:

fyi I just did this and it cleared OK, with the self-crafted Hunting Bow and flint head arrows :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

New Age of War content patch is available on the Public Beta client branch
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/931180/view/3699189062566053603

some highlights:
- map alterations (no more headhunter carts, no more ways to acquire ancient obolus currency, apparently Ruins of Al'Merayah POI is gone and replaced with placeholder stuff)
- stamina heavily nerfed (attacks cost a lot more to do, still being tuned)
- skill reset potions revamped a bit (no more ash requirement, no more being gated behind a specific NPC)