Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's a dev post up (on Steam, anyway) explaining some of the changes and I... get where they're coming from, but it does feel like artificially increasing the grind for the sake of encouraging the grind.

Your legendary weapons can't be repaired, so you'll sometimes have to use your non-legendary weapons. Oh, and they lose max durability every time they're repaired, so you'll have to go out and get new weapons every so often. But now it takes longer to kill the mobs that let you get the best weapons (because they have more health and you have less stamina) so I guess you'll lose even more durability on your weapons in the meantime.

It's like they're trying to emphasise the ARPG elements in the game, but those aren't really the best bits of the game.

Not that it matters if - like me - you play solo and tweak the settings so your weapons barely degrade anyway, but still... curious decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wait, were legendary weapon repair kits removed?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

marshmallow creep posted:

Wait, were legendary weapon repair kits removed?
No, just renamed because legendary weapons can no longer be repaired. Legendary durability will be buffed to compensate.

I haven't kept up on the PTR, but from the original announcement, any weapon repair kit can repair any weapon/tool that can be repaired, but the higher tier ones can restore a higher % of the durability. Mods no longer reduce max durability, but repairing will. Not sure if this includes repairs by players or the Godbreaker Boots effect.

There will also be 2-skull enemies that drop a new tier of gear called "unique" that also can't be repaired.

Not sure how annoying it will be for solo play, but every time my 3-4 friends and I play, it only takes a week or two before we're swimming in legendaries. And I assume that when a legendary is about to break, it can still be given to a thrall to use forever.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've seen a couple of streamers I follow playing Conan Exiles, which has prompted me to pick it up again once I switch computers.

With the two streams I watched, the big thing seem to be a mod for character creation where you can heavily modify/deform your appearance. I was wondering if there were any other big mods worth checking out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Pretty much all the mods by Testerle

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Pretty much all the mods by Testerle

Sounds like a good starting point.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that there's a mod manager. Do you need that, or it only if you're running mods outside of the Steam Workshop?

Also is it worth it to pick up Isle of Siptah? It's got Mixed reviews on Steam. It sounds like it adds a whole new area, but from what I recall, I barely made a dent into main campaign of the standalone game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's an entire seperate map. You create a character in either the Exiled Lands or the Isle of Siptah, there is very little crossover.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I would not recommend picking up Siptah for your first playthrough. Just play the normal map, and if you decide to play through again, you'll know by that point if you want it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh! If you're playing Single Player, change the server settings for how fast things happen. The defaults assume multiplayer where things run 24/7 even when you're not playing. This makes e.g
breaking thralls an exercise in frustration in SP.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh yeah, don't be shy about turning crafting times all the way down. keep in mind those times are paused when the server is not running, i.e. if you are solo and running the game standalone.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Oh! If you're playing Single Player, change the server settings for how fast things happen. The defaults assume multiplayer where things run 24/7 even when you're not playing. This makes e.g
breaking thralls an exercise in frustration in SP.

Flesh Forge posted:

oh yeah, don't be shy about turning crafting times all the way down. keep in mind those times are paused when the server is not running, i.e. if you are solo and running the game standalone.

I think I might have tinkered around with the crafting times shortly before I stopped playing, because thralls took an egregiously long time, and I only had like two.

In regard to multiplayer, is there any kind of rule of thumb when it comes to joining servers? I remember seeing a video guide about how to safeguard your base on PvE enabled servers, but I imagine there are some purely cooperative servers.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Thralls break super-quickly now by default in Age of War.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Be aware that if you play on a PvP server your base will be blown up by bats.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I wanted to host a small server on my PC.

I downloaded the Server Launcher program, and configured things like the server name, password, admin password, mods, etc.

However, nobody can connect to it. At first, we were trying to direct connect via my external IP, because the server wasn't appearing in the server browser, but it would give a connection timed out error. It never displayed a loading screen - it just gave the error on the server browser screen after a bit of waiting.

I double checked my router, and added the port forwarding for the port listed in the server launcher (in my case 7777). I also added the EXE as an exception in Windows Firewall.

Now, the server appears in the server browser, but we still can't connect.

When attempting to connect, it prompts for the password, and when entered it shows a loading screen. The bar fills extremely slowly, and then times out with the same error as before.

I'm not sure what to do next. Is there a place the settings are stored, or where an error log is created? If so, is there somewhere I could provide that info for better assistance?

E: according to Reddit, the likely issue is that by default, the server launcher is set to use the same ports as the game client. If the server is running on the same machine, the ports conflict.

I'll try changing the ports when I get home and see if that fixes it.

E2: I've tried like 5 different ports, and none of them work. I've forwarded each of them in my router's settings, but neither the Conan Server nor port checker websites see the ports as open...

Annath fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 26, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Got around to reinstalling Conan Exiles, but I'm stuck in a rut. Tried venturing up north and died trying to fight exiles up there (I'm at around Level 44). Respawned at one of my bases and ventured to the one near where I died, but in resetting my spawn, I think that erased my grave and everything that I was carrying.

So I ended up venturing back down south to my very first base. I tried capturing thralls, but trying to haul thralls halfway across the map doesn't really pan out, because enemies will either kill them, or you'll kill them trying to fight off enemies. I ended up capturing a couple of thralls near my first base, so now I've got a carpenter, an archer, and a fighter, but that's it.

Before I went on hiatus, I made a base by Sepermeru that was close to deposits of iron and coal. I've been trying to craft steel, but most of the brimstone is way off in the distance (there's Shattered Springs for Brimstone, but you need a gas mask to get in there, and that requires steel).

I keep thinking I should go and cheat in the resources I need and use teleport commands to go where I need to go. I'm trying not to cave in, but there's just a lot of tedium to deal with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember to adjust server settings! Base settings in singleplayer are painful tedium. You can even go as far as e.g. doubling harvest rate to account for the fact that you're one person building a base rather than an entire clan working together.

Disassembling buildings is free. Take advantage of this. I always carry the ingredients for a Wheel of Pain and throw it down next to the camp I plan to prey on. I can pack it up and move it on when I'm finished with no resources lost.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah feel free to turn all the crafting times all the way down and adjust poo poo like tool/weapon wear, the default times are bananas.

If you already have a partial base down by Sepermeru that's a great place to farm good thralls, there's some risk but if you die at least there's very little to watch out for on the way back to recover your poo poo, just the couple of burglar spawns.

Max Wilco posted:

Before I went on hiatus, I made a base by Sepermeru that was close to deposits of iron and coal. I've been trying to craft steel, but most of the brimstone is way off in the distance (there's Shattered Springs for Brimstone, but you need a gas mask to get in there, and that requires steel).

you can harvest a bit of brimstone on one breath and just run back out to recover, you don't have to clean the place out just to make a little bit of steel

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Max Wilco posted:

I keep thinking I should go and cheat in the resources I need and use teleport commands to go where I need to go. I'm trying not to cave in, but there's just a lot of tedium to deal with.
Gallaman's Tomb has an assload and is an early area. Just some crocs to deal with (boss croc if you go all the way to the back but you can ignore it). It's only a couple minutes horseback from Sepermeru if you don't want to teleport yourself.

And playing solo, yeah just up the harvest rate. I do this with pretty much any survival game that also has co-op because I want to build a neat base and kill poo poo, not hit rocks with a hammer for 6 hours to make a 2x2 shitshack and it seems like harvest rates are more geared to bigger groups. If you decide you do want to skip the grind completely, just use the new creative mode and build whatever you want without even worrying about cheating in resources.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
And the boss croc in Gallamsn’s tomb has the appearance of a three-star croc but in actuality has the hit points of only a one-star boss.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You can get Steel from checking all the treasure chests around Sepermeru - just run around and check the easiest ones to reach, logout/in again and try again. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to get enough for a mask.

You can also get Brimstone from that other cave (Sinner's Refuge) not too far away that has a bunch of Exiles in. Pop your Wheel of Pain down just outside, run in and have a look for a Person of Interest and if there's no-one interesting there, kill 'em all, grab the loot, logout/in again and try again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I think the game is trying to tell me something

Burns
May 10, 2008

New update looks promising. I am appreciating the loot drop changes.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Some friends of mine host a private server and we tried the new purge last night. We had more than enough treasure for the max difficulty.

First attempt ended in failure. The enemy base spawned immediately outside ours and we didn't really commit any thralls to the fight and the mob only had about 185k HP of doors to knock down. We got through a few waves, but that was it.

Even though they took most of our placeable treasure, we recovered enough to still do another max difficulty purge.

Second attempt was a success. We added some golems and zombies to the defense, put foundations where the enemy base spawned so it appeared a reasonable distance away, and added another 100k HP of doors. They still got to the treasure room and stole some stuff, but we recovered most of it. Killing the leader was probably the easiest part considering one of the waves was like half spearmen and half bomb throwers.

A few older shots of the exterior of the base & interior of the treasure room:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ash1138 posted:

Some friends of mine host a private server and we tried the new purge last night. We had more than enough treasure for the max difficulty.

First attempt ended in failure. The enemy base spawned immediately outside ours and we didn't really commit any thralls to the fight and the mob only had about 185k HP of doors to knock down. We got through a few waves, but that was it.

Even though they took most of our placeable treasure, we recovered enough to still do another max difficulty purge.

Second attempt was a success. We added some golems and zombies to the defense, put foundations where the enemy base spawned so it appeared a reasonable distance away, and added another 100k HP of doors. They still got to the treasure room and stole some stuff, but we recovered most of it. Killing the leader was probably the easiest part considering one of the waves was like half spearmen and half bomb throwers.

A few older shots of the exterior of the base & interior of the treasure room:

That's a hell of a pretty castle you guys built!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

The Locator posted:

That's a hell of a pretty castle you guys built!
Thanks! The design is all mine; generally when we start fresh, one or two of us takes on building the guild hall/main base and the rest farm and loot and capture thralls. Once we're flush with supplies, we'll split off and do our own builds. Since we're using the same save through the Age of War, I figured I'd have time to do something this big. Should be fully functional by season 3!

Here are a bunch of views inside the walls if anyone is curious (still a lot of decoration and whatnot to do):

There are two identical gatehouses on the north and south sides. I always do something like this and it's neat that this season actually makes them useful in the purge.

Looking to the east and west, respectively, from the north gate. Crafting benches are on the west side, treasure room access is on the east side beyond the inner gate. "Customs" is where we dump loot to be sorted later.

The "trade district" with crafting benches. The top floor of the 2-story buildings are places for beds and personal chests. Finishing those areas are next on my to do list so we can stop slumming it.

Storage room under the tower for Dedicated Storage https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2087808347

The prison/thrall storage with a wheel of pain on top and access to an "underground" Yog pit (not pictured because it's very unfinished).

Stables by the south gate. Not pictured: animal pens (because it's very unfinished).

The tavern with an attached kitchen. Not much going on yet because I think it's kind of boring and will probably redesign.

Stair tower and entrance to treasure room. The terraced areas will be crammed with planters and trees. My general concept is that this side of the castle is nicer than the trade district - more open and landscaped.

The spaces within the central tower: treasure room, sorcerer's sanctum, map room.

Detail of the tower. I've built this before and I was hoping that it would speed things up, but it only had the sorcery and map rooms. Designing it to work with the treasure and storage rooms below was a challenge. I refused to cheat with the PEB mod here and with the exception of one of the sub-buildings, everything has stability without the help of mods or the Expertise perk.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ash1138 posted:

Thanks! The design is all mine;

Amazing stuff. I love seeing this sort of thing as I have basically no creativity so my designs tend to be brutish rectangles and maybe a big tower surrounded by a wall.

Like this:

The idea with that top tower was to be a sort of lighthouse to make it easy to find from a long distance, but it doesn't work because the lights get killed by the game engine before you get much farther away than this screenshot.

For personal reasons that mean I can't reliably play on any sort of schedule I always just play solo, so I crank up the harvesting rates or I'd never finish more than a little hut.

I also usually burn out before I get into the north area for star metal and I don't have any of the fancy builders packs so the reinforced stone (I think?) is my peak building material normally.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

A lot of it is knowing what the building system will allow and what combinations of materials look good. Mods help, but are not necessary as Barden's work can attest. Creative mode is great for learning that stuff for use in an actual game.

Did a couple more level X purges this weekend. We learned that golems in a choke point can be really good and siege cauldrons are best used to slow down the horde after the gates are destroyed. Gas orbs/arrows + explosive arrows are good too though I mostly just dropped gas along the path to the treasure room to weaken enemies for our melee to finish off. Sorcery lightning storm is also super useful alongside the slow from siege cauldrons.

We had some trouble getting the purge base to spawn. Not sure if was fixed by moving golems out of the path to the treasure or adjusting the treasure coffer location, but that did it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The game still has plenty of jank. I was clearing out The Summoning Place, found a Bountiful Treasure Chest and when I went back to get it, the map glitched and a bunch of Nordheimer NPCs spawned in and killed me while I was in a menu.
The fuckers also killed my Greater Lion. RIP good kitty.

Burns
May 10, 2008

kingturnip posted:

The game still has plenty of jank. I was clearing out The Summoning Place, found a Bountiful Treasure Chest and when I went back to get it, the map glitched and a bunch of Nordheimer NPCs spawned in and killed me while I was in a menu.
The fuckers also killed my Greater Lion. RIP good kitty.

The whole npcs spawing was added in this update but its a bit too often i find.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been craving a survival game and couldn't think of any, then I remembered I had this in my library but I bounced off of it pretty hard last time I played because I was purely playing multiplayer which I did not find fun. I've since found out it's got singleplayer too. Any advice on how to set up a singleplayer game? I read some feedback online about how crafting times / thrall stuff is mainly catered towards a server being online 24/7, so some values need reducing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yes, turn all that poo poo down to the minimum. harvest amounts feels OK to me, but I also use a mod that increases the level cap so you can afford to take the whole Expertise stat block without giving up another stat for it - Expertise is the stat related to carrying stuff and harvesting, it makes that poo poo tolerable. that combined with tool quality still gives you a sense of progression for resource harvesting and whatnot without it being tooooooo tedious, at least for me, but you can still adjust it in server settings if you like.

e: I think this mod is the one I used (no longer installed but it looks like it):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2865288685&searchtext=80

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 9, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The issue is that the numbers for thrall and animal taming assume that the server will be on to tick down the timers, so to get the 'authentic' experience you'd probably want to be able to 'tame' about one guy per play session from what I remember hazily from my days playing multiplayer. That being said, you can probably just crank all that poo poo down to the minimum without having a notable effect on how fun the game is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea when I was playing SP I set timers down so it took like 5 minutes to make friends with t3's.

Though the big issue with smelting and other auto crafting because there is a limit on how fast you can make things go so if you dump 200k stone into a furance, its still going to take a while to get through that.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The recent Age of War has also drastically changed the tame times iirc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I guess it boils down to how much fun you think it will add or remove to turn those timers down, they're designed with large group play in mind and as mentioned the timers don't tick while you're offline.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New update's out today that adds a siege and a bar/tavern which sounds kinda neat. How hosed are mods usually after updates like this? Is there a chance some will work or are they all going to have to be updated?

Edit: Turns out the answer was "not that hosed".

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 14, 2023

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

I was pretty excited for the new update but it's been a disaster. https://forums.funcom.com/t/age-of-war-chapter-3-known-hot-issues/246017

The most important thing to mention is that apparently there's a new purge enemy that will destroy your gates in one hit, which is unintended. Avoiding purges would effectively prevent you from starting a tavern. They said it will be fixed in "mid-January".

The changes to character rotation sound truly terrible but I can't even try any of this out because I was caught in the bullshit ban wave. Look at this poo poo,

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah poo poo I had no idea you had to do a purge to get a barkeeper. Never done a purge, never even built the coffer or started thinking about defenses but we did spent all night building a tavern in preparation :smith:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Something to keep in mind is that the level of the purge is determined by the amount of treasure in your coffer, so you can take stuff out to get the minimum level to make it quicker and easier. They haven't said anything about the barkeep having a minimum purge level to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tsilkani posted:

Something to keep in mind is that the level of the purge is determined by the amount of treasure in your coffer, so you can take stuff out to get the minimum level to make it quicker and easier. They haven't said anything about the barkeep having a minimum purge level to get.

Thanks! That's good to know. There's a lot of outdated info out there about the purge stuff since I guess this whole coffer thing was a relatively recent change. Can we make a secondary base somewhere with the coffer in it and call the purge there so we avoid having our main base flattened? Or do they just tear through whatever buildings are closest to where they spawn?