Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There are brimstone nodes in the poison saltlake east of Sebermaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Hey thanks for all of that! It's amazing some of the basic stuff I'm still learning about even after all the time I've spent.

No prob, and same! There is a mind boggling amount of stuff you'd never find out or see without spending time perusing the wiki and even then I learn a couple new things a week. Game is both amazingly deep and amazingly opaque.

Hakarne posted:

As far as mods, I've been trying to keep them to a minimum on our server since it's a shitshow when one of them updates. For those that don't know, the server has to be offline to update mods. The problem is Steam will automatically download mod updates for people on their individual machines, so if someone gets a new version of the mod before the server does they can't log in until the server updates. The "best" way I've found to handle this is to have my server check for updates once an hour, and if it finds one it restarts and installs it (so no one is locked out for more than an hour). Unfortunately, there isn't a way to alert anyone online that the server is restarting when those ad-hoc updates are triggered so everyone just gets dumped without warning. It's poo poo, but it's better than having everyone locked out for a day.

Do you know of any better way to handle updates? Because I'm open to suggestions!

Oh poo poo, that's horrible, and 100% Funcom to not provide the ability to give shutdown warnings. I sadly have no advice on that as 100% of my hours have been in solo play. I would actually suggest posting on the official forums as they have a 'server and recruitment' section. The community is actually legitimately helpful and I'm sure someone has a tool for that.

And for everyone else:

Not only is it a free weekend, but everything (except the newest dlc) is ON SALE! Base game 50% off! DLC 25-30% off!

If you've been sitting on the fence about this game, this is the time to try it.

Edit:

The Lone Badger posted:

There are brimstone nodes in the poison saltlake east of Sebermaru.

You know what that's my bad, I just went and checked the wiki and there are a couple of extra places that have them now. So I'll amend my statement to Sinner's Refuge is the easiest place to get brimstone.

Fuzzysocksucker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 15, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I downloaded the CharEditLite Mod. How do I actually use it to change appearance?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need to build a handmirror at the Artisan's Table. There might be a feat to buy first, I can't remember.

If you want to change a pawn's appearance, use the mirror on yourself to create a 'shard' then put that into the pawn's inventory and Use it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Lone Badger posted:

You need to build a handmirror at the Artisan's Table. There might be a feat to buy first, I can't remember.

If you want to change a pawn's appearance, use the mirror on yourself to create a 'shard' then put that into the pawn's inventory and Use it.

I saw that eventually in the mod description. I consoled in the Artisan Table, but now I cant actually place the Table. It says "left click to place" but I click and nothing happens, all the pther commands works tho

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Try just building one normally. The feat should be available at low levels. ('Furniture' I think)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
With the free weekend going on, I downloaded the game and played it a bit last night and an hour or so ago in single-player. It's...okay, I guess? It's about what I expected: Minecraft, but obviously more graphical fidelity, and the Conan theme. Spent most of my time crushing rocks to make stuff, and beating up the exiles who spawn at the bonfires. Dunno if they ever stop spawning. Thought maybe I could destroy the bonfire, but no luck.

I tried joining a multiplayer game, but because I didn't want to install BattlEye, I couldn't really find one that didn't otherwise have password protection. I thought maybe if you joined a multiplayer game, you'd start somewhere other than the desert, which maybe you can.

Even though it's not in Early Access anymore (I actually don't remember if it was an Early Access game), it still seems a little rough around the edges. The interface feels clunky when it comes to crafting things and

I dunno; I like it somewhat, but I think I'm gonna give it a pass for now.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Try the goon server. We can help you get going!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nash posted:

Try the goon server. We can help you get going!

I thought about that. In fact, the ad for the goon server was part of what prompted me to give the game a look. I just don't feel up to dropping the $20 on it right now, since I've other games I've yet to play. I also I feel like I'm gonna get burned out on it like I have with other survival style games in the past.

Still, thanks for the offer. If I decide to pick up the game sometime down the road, I'll be sure to check out the goon server.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I've been enjoying the heck out of Exiles, its like a murderous minecraft with nudity.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Started playing, oh hey there's another human they will surely be a friendly npc in this tutorial area :downs:

Round two: oh hey that must be a friendly village for me to buy and trade at :downs:

Rounds three: sneak up and loving sword to the back of the head every one of you drat bastards. stick to this river until I scrape together a water bag. wary eyes on horizon.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Bug Squash posted:

Started playing, oh hey there's another human they will surely be a friendly npc in this tutorial area :downs:

Round two: oh hey that must be a friendly village for me to buy and trade at :downs:

Rounds three: sneak up and loving sword to the back of the head every one of you drat bastards. stick to this river until I scrape together a water bag. wary eyes on horizon.

The Exiled Lands are harsh. The Golden Rule here is "Everything wants to kill you until proven otherwise." There are friendly NPCs around but they're the exception to the rule.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Bug Squash posted:

Everyone can be your friend if you get a friendship stick and a friendship wheel. A friendship slavemaster makes this process faster.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the Black-Ice Broadsword the most powerful one-hander?

Edit: Looks like starmetal is effectively unavailable in singleplayer due to the way it spawns. Do any enemies drop starmetal gear I can disassemble?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 17, 2020

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: Looks like starmetal is effectively unavailable in singleplayer due to the way it spawns. Do any enemies drop starmetal gear I can disassemble?

The norsemen in the mounds of the dead can rarely drop star-metal gear IIRC

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

TaurusTorus posted:

Everyone can be your friend if you get a friendship stick and a friendship wheel. A friendship slavemaster makes this process faster.

I really need to start "making new friends".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you are playing solo then I strongly recommend altering the server settings. With a basic wheel and no Playtime Supervisor it can take forever to make friends. In MP at least the timer keeps running while you're logged out.

Edit: Also, unlike me, alter the 'thrall crafting speed' in the correct direction.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 17, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Im playing on a server with other people, but they did increase some of the rates.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Does this game put a lot of emphasis on "traditional" RPG mechanics or stuff like that?

I'm on the lookout for a co-op game to play together with my partner who isn't a gamer but has turned out to love base-building and exploration-themed games. However, having to engage with number-heavy mechanics or wade through pages of abbreviations, weapon stats, special abilities and other RPG-adjacent jank is an instant turnoff for them, so I'm looking for something that's easy to pick up and learn as you go along even for someone who didn't religiously memorize the hit dice of every entry in the D&D Monster Manual at age 12.

Previously they've enjoyed Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 a whole lot, so if it isn't much more mechanics-heavy than those it should probably work pretty well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's significantly lighter than those games. You have no perks or abilities or anything like that to purchase. Pretty much the only bit of character building is assigning your attributes and it is very easy to respec those.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

A lot of emphasis in this game is put on base building and dungeons, but the idea of just exploring is great too. There are all kinds of emotes and recipes in out of the way places, plus little mini dungeons and caves all over the place.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any suggestions for getting started in current end game pvp? I keep finding rambling rear end youtube or outdated stuff. I'm not trying to dominate but it'd be awesome to not be totally useless.

A group of us have gotten pretty established on an official pvp server with max level characters, a black ice tomb (one of the caves up north with the big towers above it we've walled off the entrance and have a big base), and starting to kit out in the good stuff but man do we get like insta killed in pvp.

Last night was particularly pathetic. One dude with a thrall killed 3 of us and drove off another person. Part of it is my friends tend to panic but I was in flawless decent armor and his thrall killed me in two hits.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My experience in PvE is that my thrall is way stronger than I am.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
This is free on EGS July 2nd to the 9th. Going to give it a try then, see if it's been fixed since what I read from you guys.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

It’s good times. Also I was having trouble seeing the server pop up today. Put all the information in correctly and it still wouldn’t connect.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Nash posted:

It’s good times. Also I was having trouble seeing the server pop up today. Put all the information in correctly and it still wouldn’t connect.

Huh, anyone else have that problem? I logged in after it patched and it was working fine.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I’ll try again tomorrow. Then I can continue my quest for that witch doctor helmet. I’m pretty sure I have killed off several mountains worth of dafari while farming for it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you craft it using the darfari armor feat from the big camp?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I wish. It’s a legendary that drops from the witch doctor at the altar.

It’s adds a boatload to survival. Along with some other items which I have already you can get the turbo gathering perk without putting a single point into survival.

Like to get that getup so I can make finishing my main base that much quicker.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I had fun with this on solo, and pop back in periodically to make new bases in creative mode.

E: you can have a lot of fun recreating cutaway buildings from the Usborne history books. I did a Roman villa and miniature watchtower.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Thread necromancy but big announcement in about 6 days. The new map I assume?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Early access sept 15 on PC for the new Conan map.

Isle of Siptah.
-new building sets
-rhino mounts
-new dungeons
-new map
-new enemies
-new way of getting thralls. No thralls on map, must get them through magic portals that dump them

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Nash posted:

Early access sept 15 on PC for the new Conan map.

Isle of Siptah.
-new building sets
-rhino mounts
-new dungeons
-new map
-new enemies
-new way of getting thralls. No thralls on map, must get them through magic portals that dump them

I'm super stoked for it, but I normally don't play early access stuff but I may have to make an exception for this. I definitely burnt out a bit but I put a ton of time into exiles and thoroughly enjoy it.

Edit: I should probably put some of that info at the top huh? I'm not used to being the OP :v:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I got exiles when it was early access so it’s fitting I get this the sane way.

I watched the stream and they said just like you can find Conan in the base game, you will be able to find Valeria of the Red Brothethood in this. She was one of the main characters, alongside Conan, in the story Red Nails. I’m nerd pumped over this.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
is there any good pvp servers

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just wish they'd fix the lovely combat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking the other day that I miss playing Conan Exiles with goons but I had kinda exhasted everything I could do on my own. But a new map will get me to play again.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Looks like they are updating the temperature system too, not quite clear how it would work in practice but hopefully this fixes the issue where you have to balance hot/cold armors to not kill yourself.

https://forums.funcom.com/t/temperature-balancing-and-pvp-changes-coming-with-the-release-of-isle-of-siptah/135879

Armor Insulation and Temperature
Previously, player characters had a single stat for temperature. This meant that armors that modified that stat (such as “heat”) was directly modifying the stat up and down. This led to the effect many of you have experienced where clothing yourself in cold climates would actually make you even colder. This made no sense, so we changed the system to instead use Insulation. All clothes and armor now have two stats - Heat Resistance and Cold Resistance. Armors will (most often) give both, but be better at one of the two.

As an example: Vanir Settler armor, being fur, has a higher Cold Resistance than Heat Resistance. Only a select few armors directly modify the temperature directly anymore.

We also changed how temperatures are displayed in the item information panel. The old system would show a heat or cold bar but since armors now protect against both heat and cold, we now display both of these independently in the information panel.

Survival stat and Temperature
Your Survival stat will now grant a passive bonus to both Heat and Cold insulation. You are given 0.5 insulation for every point in Survival, meaning you can negate up to 30 degrees if you max out your Survival stat. This bonus stacks with any armor you wear.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Siptah impressions so far:

-Flotsam architecture looks cool for reasons I can't articulate
-Vaults are fun and challenging without being too challenging
-Someone on the server I'm using actually tried to build a base in the maelstrom. Cthulhu came down from the portal, told him "Not today motherfucker" and wrecked his poo poo. Like completely atomized it down to the last foundation piece :allears:
-As someone who had a Lovecraft phase in high school that led right into a Robert E Howard phase in college, building a battleaxe out of metal from leftover Elder Thing machinery hits me right in the late adolescence :haw:
-Random thrall drops mean I'm terrible at capturing and enslaving them. It's all fighters and archers and I never get the craftsmen I really need
-LOOK AT THIS CHONK:

We took down a vault full of fishmen together and I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I'm not the big of a fan of the thrall dropping in like they were imps in dungeon keeper. They drop so many and they're all Fighters wearing medium armor with steel weapons so it's basically a purge.

Lynxs are pretty bad where I am. I found a, large amount of iron norvro far from my house but one keeps spawning nearby.