Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
I'm a huge fan of this game (about to hit 1000 hours played). But people should know going into it that there is frequently jank on par with a Bethesda game. Examples since last weeks patch: currently purges are bugged (again) in a new and excitingly horrible way, and should probably be disabled until patched. Or in more benign ways like follower thralls can't sword and board because they'll only try to use the shield. The good news is Funcom has already gotten out two bug hotfixes for PC with more promised soon.

If that doesn't put you off then I highly recommend this game!

Hakarne, amazing OP. One correction, one tip.

Regarding leather:
You can put crocodile and any other skins directly in the tanning station to get leather. The armor bench options are there if you specifically need hide to make something.

Steel production:
There are brimstone nodes in Sinners Refuge, a cave north of newbie river filled with Exiles. A single pass will earn 300-750 brimstone depending on tool quality/fittings. This is the only place with these nodes in the game.

A word about modding Conan and some mod recommendations:

Adding mods is dead simple, find something you like on the Steam Workshop, subscribe, load game, enable/sort from the mod menu on the main screen, restart game, go. The only big thing to keep in mind is "Whatever is lowest in the list wins a conflict". Make sure you read mod descriptions as some mods like the essential 'Less Building Placement Restrictions' have to load after new building assets to work with them.

A lot of mods have configuration options only accessible to someone with admin powers. If you're playing a single player game, open the console with '~' and type MakeMeAdmin.

With that in mind, here is a list of quality mods that give you a vanilla++ experience that all play nicely together:

Gameplay mods:

ModControlPanel - Required for configure some of the other mods. Does what it says on the lid, 100% better than typing commands into the console.

Less Building Placement Restrictions - In a game that features building bases so prominently it has a number of overbearing limits on where you can build and how you can attach building parts to each other. If you want to build cool looking stuff, you have to have this. This is the first mod on the list by the modder 'Multigun' so I'll mention here that he is the gold standard for Conan modding. If you only download one mod, it should be this one.

Unlock Plus (with pickup) - Use this instead of Pickup+, doubly so if you're playing online. Besides adding locking options that are missing from some containers/doors, it also adds thrall protection to all workstations. This means even if you leave a crafting station unlocked only the owner/clan can move the crafting thrall. This opens up the possibility of public crafting stations without risking the theft of your T4 thralls. If you're playing solo the only option you're using this for is the ability to pick up any placed building piece/crafting station. (Try placing an animal pen correctly on the first try) This is still the better option to Pickup+ because frankly Pickup+ tends to break the interaction wheel every update and, at least historically, clashes with other mods.

Level 140 - Unlock Everything - Reaching 60 isn't really that hard, and there is still so much to do, why should your numbers stop getting bigger? There are a few keep leveling past 60 mods, this one is the most vanilla. It follows the games default progression of exp/stats/feats per level. You'll never actually reach level 140, but you'll no longer lament the exp you were losing out on. Another Multigun mod.

Legendary Chests - Adjustable Level Requirement - Mandatory if you're using the previous mod (You'd actually need to reach 140 to open Legendary Chests). Optional depending on your tastes without. Once again, Multigun.

Niflheimr - MiniMap - There are a number of minimap mods, this one gets bonus points for having both a lot of extras (zoom in/out, numeric x/y location, real time, game time, map markers with names) and the option to toggle every option at any time.

I just want to look cool mods:

Fashionist - The only thing better in life than crushing your enemies is looking good doing it. Adds an armor stand you can dress up with the armor you want to appear to be wearing and then imports it to the new style slots added to your inventory screen. These style slots can be cleared at any time, or toggled between style/actual/hidden. Wear the stupid looking armor set with the good bonuses and run around with your cock out for Crom. Also shows last used weapon/shield/tool on your character.

CharEditLite - Ever get 20 hours into a game and realize your character looks stupid? Of course you have. This is the mod for editing your appearance. Also editing the appearance of your thralls, and changing the clothes on workstation thralls. Usage isn't super intuitive at first but it works. Shard system even allows saving and sharing of appearances.

Additional content mods:

Arena Pier - What started off as fix for the glaring omission of pillars to go with the vaulting ceilings added with the Blood and Sand DLC, this mod has grown to add a number of additional pieces good for anyone even without that DLC. The number one reason you want this will be for 2x2 gates that match every base game building set. No longer are you limited to small door or massive gate. And yes mounted characters clear the new gates. Also includes a cool iron bar set for building cages and a number of archways and supports.

Northern Timber - Same author as Arena Pier, same scope creep. Started as a Tier 1 building set that matched the colors of the northern map, now includes a T2 and 3 set of wooden style buildings with options for snow covered roofs. Quality stuff.

Savage Steel and Savage Steel Vol II - SO MANY NEW PLACEABLES. Not for the faint of heart or weak of computer. But if you're looking to decorate your base, this should be your first start. Quality of the content is great even if I don't personally feel all the items quite fit the setting. But that's up to you.

This poo poo is close to cheating mods:

Tier 4 Thralls - Mild Increased Spawn - Increases the spawn rate of named thralls from about 1% to about 10%, also as a bonus adds missing thralls back into the spawn tables. Really helps for solo players who don't have the benefit of a whole clan looking for T4s. Also available in a 20% chance version.

Lumbermill and Mining - Adds three buildings that let you put in food and get back basic resources (wood, stone, iron ore) over time. Spend more time being a hero and less time being a gatherer.

So you want to make your own mods? Good news! The Conan Exiles Dev Kit is available from the Epic Games Store, for free, for anyone to use. Requires 185GB of disk space. That's not a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Hakarne posted:

Hey thanks for all of that! It's amazing some of the basic stuff I'm still learning about even after all the time I've spent.

No prob, and same! There is a mind boggling amount of stuff you'd never find out or see without spending time perusing the wiki and even then I learn a couple new things a week. Game is both amazingly deep and amazingly opaque.

Hakarne posted:

As far as mods, I've been trying to keep them to a minimum on our server since it's a shitshow when one of them updates. For those that don't know, the server has to be offline to update mods. The problem is Steam will automatically download mod updates for people on their individual machines, so if someone gets a new version of the mod before the server does they can't log in until the server updates. The "best" way I've found to handle this is to have my server check for updates once an hour, and if it finds one it restarts and installs it (so no one is locked out for more than an hour). Unfortunately, there isn't a way to alert anyone online that the server is restarting when those ad-hoc updates are triggered so everyone just gets dumped without warning. It's poo poo, but it's better than having everyone locked out for a day.

Do you know of any better way to handle updates? Because I'm open to suggestions!

Oh poo poo, that's horrible, and 100% Funcom to not provide the ability to give shutdown warnings. I sadly have no advice on that as 100% of my hours have been in solo play. I would actually suggest posting on the official forums as they have a 'server and recruitment' section. The community is actually legitimately helpful and I'm sure someone has a tool for that.

And for everyone else:

Not only is it a free weekend, but everything (except the newest dlc) is ON SALE! Base game 50% off! DLC 25-30% off!

If you've been sitting on the fence about this game, this is the time to try it.

Edit:

The Lone Badger posted:

There are brimstone nodes in the poison saltlake east of Sebermaru.

You know what that's my bad, I just went and checked the wiki and there are a couple of extra places that have them now. So I'll amend my statement to Sinner's Refuge is the easiest place to get brimstone.

Fuzzysocksucker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 15, 2020