Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It’s page one and I’m very excited!
Here are some basic questions I haven’t been able to figure out because I’m a chowderhead:

Is there a command for direct mode to clear the screen of all graphics and text loaded previously?

Is there a way to put line breaks in a string for the PRINT command or do I need a new PRINT for each line of text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Thanks everyone for your help. Another newbie question, hopefully it will help someone else too.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around sprites versus "userchr". I know that sprites are handled using SP functions, and userchr show up by using PRINT, and they're both on the editable sprite sheet. Are userchr intended mostly for use as backgrounds? I'm assuming so since they don't have handy SP functions like hitbox detection like sprites.

Edit: for the rest of it I RTFM.

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 1, 2020

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, previous versions had BG functions and dedicated tilemap layers, in this one they seem to expect you to use the text layers and userchr as their replacement. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that they default to being on the same page as the sprites, they can be stored on totally different pages if you want them to be. And if you want sprite/BG collision you have to build that yourself.

Thanks! Now I'm trying to figure out how to call a specific sprite sheet I've edited. I'll edit a sprite sheet using the Gahaku tool, and it'll show up in the Smiletool when I'm looking through the userchr, however when I call it and run my program it immediately defaults back to the default sprite sheet.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

homeless snail posted:

Are you doing an ACLS or something? That would reset all your pages back to default. Your best bet is just to save it to a file in gahaku and LOADG it in your program, but also while you're working and going back and forth you can tell ACLS not to clear your graphics pages

Yep, I had an ACLS at the beginning that was clearing everything out. A LOADG did the trick. Thanks again!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Your Computer posted:

honestly my biggest hurdle right now is that GAHAKU is garbage and creating sprites is therefore a massive pain :v:

are there any better pixel art tools yet, or some way to transfer images?

Looked like there were some editing tools uploaded by users, last time I checked. Can't say if they're any better or worse than Gahaku, but it's worth a shot.