Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Ah, hell. I had no idea about this. Got it just now; it's way too cool to ignore! Thanks for bringing it up over in the Making Games thread, Your Computer.

I followed the same raycaster tutorial recently, working on a thing in Pixel Vision 8, but could not get the textures working correctly. I'll have to try again -- or, if you don't mind sharing your code?

I just ordered a USB keyboard for the Wii, for Animal Crossing, and I went specifically for the smallest one I could find without a mouse. Turns out that might've been a mistake. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

YC, that video made me remember something from my childhood: the Tandy Color Computer Pinball cart. A completely daft thing that doesn't play much like pinball at all, but it had an editing mode that I was obsessed with.

I'm very tempted to port my current dungeon crawler project from pv8 to SmileBasic.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

As I thought, this thing is dangerous. I dug out an old netbook, charged it up, threw Lubuntu on the thing so I could have a reasonable screen to read the docs while working on the big TV. Thought, oh, I'll spend an hour or so, see if I can draw some lines and shoot some text up on the screen. Four hours later? A more than reasonable facsimile of my dungeon game, but on the Switch.

And I can't stop thinking about what to do with it next. There's just something about BASIC, calling back to the earliest programs I ever wrote -- a lot of them games -- that is really appealing to me.

Also from the docs, this thing has some crazy capabilities; it's going to be super-interesting dinking with some of them. Function libraries, automatic code generation, dynamic loading for the program slots, things like that.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

None of the progress on my dungeon-crawler project has actually resulted in things you can see. I'll post a video when I can walk down a hall and turn the corner, heh.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

https://twitter.com/rdominick/status/1262487901830475776