Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

At long last, someone is finally willing to take on the entire Dancing Stage saga :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At an end? Psh, yeah, right. The age of man is just beginning.

Hey there, and welcome back to Dead Space 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpW-aAXAbqY

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

altman be loving praised!!!!!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, nice. I think your previous Dead Space 3 LP is one of my favourites of yours. Wasn't that the one where people started posting, like, the Vengaboys in the thread because you wanted suggestions for credits music, specifying retro 90s stuff?

Also I've had a weird hankering to play Resident Evil 4 In Space Dead Space again lately, for some reason - so... good timing.

That video thumbnail of the Isaac grimace also reminds me that - while I don't remember the full context - I really liked the direction of that scene, with Isaac's reaction to seeing the back half of the ship(?) getting torn off being to just turn around, grit his teeth, and wait for the crash. Because really, what else are you going to do?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Oh hell yeah. Your guys' previous one had some p cringey jokes in it so I'll be glad to see one that's a bit more woke, as it were.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I haven't seen the original, but you hooked me just with the choice of Aesop Rock.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I'll be honest, when you said you were gonna LP a game with the initials DS, I seriouly thought you were gonna do another Dark souls # LP. This is a much better idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThornBrain posted:

I haven't seen the original, but you hooked me just with the choice of Aesop Rock.

I just recently randomly dropped a music video I made for RE8 live in the middle of a stream which uses another Aesop Rock song so I'm glad to have run into another listener! Now I have an excuse to post it!

Uh there are gigantic RE8 spoilers and it's not relevant to the Dead Space LP or nothin' so don't watch it if you haven't played RE8 but still, was a super fun way to spend a weekend lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIANiu_l-p4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Oh hell yeah. Your guys' previous one had some p cringey jokes in it so I'll be glad to see one that's a bit more woke, as it were.

Also I did want to own up to this, assuming you're referring to my implicit givin' of the green light on making fun of Ellie's change in appearance. It's one thing about the LP that actually bugs me so even if you are instead talkin' about our awesome Creed jokes I'll mention anyway. My goal in the LP back in the day was to have Ellie and the relationship drama section be the lens through which we discussed EA's dark influence and how their trend chasing wholly made the game worse, key point being useless sex appeal. DS2 Ellie is a really solid female character design in a series that's pretty well full of 'em if you check the side games, and then 3 had her wear the world's lowest v-neck. Well, it didn't really turn out that nuanced and we just made fun of her a bunch instead. This time I'll follow my own intent a little better.

While I'm on the subject: Back in the original LP I did drop a few 'retard's because I didn't really grasp it was socially unacceptable, I didn't have many friends growing up and so I'd only ever heard it misused in real life in the same context as losers on the internet. My parents used it as a general pejorative for 'thing that is stupid' not just to belittle people so I never really grasped that you shouldn't use it in that context until I interacted with the realm of cognitive disability myself as an adult. It was a crappy habit and I'm pretty sure the DS3 LP was the last time I did it. The moment I realized it was wrong is actually captured on video iirc, it's in the final co-op episode: I say Isaac is retarded or something, Jamie says "hum", and there's this moment of silence where I was like "well hang on why'd I just say that". Well, now I know why, it's because I had not yet learned that it was one of those things folks sometimes don't realize is hurtful until they hurt someone with it. Thankfully I think I figured it out before that happened but I've got a lot of Dark Souls penis talk to watch next time I'm under the weather I guess so there's no small number of harrowing subjects to dive into yet lol

edit:

But seriously what in the WORLD just LOOK at the concept art. Just look at Santos, and then Ellie. They gave her a second tank top for the endgame and it's much better!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 20, 2021

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
My favourite anecdote about this specific kind of publisher meddling is... from a fair while ago; I think it was some of the devs at Irrational talking in an interview about the development of Tribes Vengeance? I'll have to paraphrase it as best I can remember it:

Irrational Games Devs posted:

In a meeting with the publishers, we were talking about the character designs and [publisher guy] wanted us to make some changes to [female protagonist]. He was saying that she needed more sex appeal. We said "so you want us to give her bigger boobs?" He was like "No, no! Just... make her, um, sexier - you know."

So we went off and gave her bigger boobs. In the next meeting with the publishers, [publisher guy] looked at the character design updated to have bigger boobs, and said "Yes! That's perfect!"

I can only imagine how many times this exact conversation has played out between developers and publishers over the years.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Thank you for owning up to that stuff, it means a lot. I'm eagerly looking forward to whatever's next. :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Okay, now I'm going "wait, what did I say in that old LP?"

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

either you or sally did a "did you just assume that necromorph's gender" joke, can't remember which of you

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

either you or sally did a "did you just assume that necromorph's gender" joke, can't remember which of you

You seriously remember this from an LP in 2014? That's... a bit much

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

some plague rats posted:

i watched it in the LP archives like 4 months ago

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

some plague rats posted:

I really don't mind. I was like 18. I'm honestly not surprised there's stuff that's aged poorly, I will take it on its head because I love making let's plays and looking at my past work for ways to improve or smooth bumps, including the commentary.

I started making LPs right at the tail end of the era where it was acceptable in this kind of environment to act that way and I think that's why I didn't question the idea of jokes being prejudiced. Not malice, just insensitivity. Remember I posted my LPs on this website, a place which still had a forum called 'retarded forum for assholes' when I started making let's plays. I legitimately think part of the reason I was so dismissive of Dead Space 3 back then is because my LPs are inspired by LPers who employ insightful but generally negative humor. Now I'm not so self absorbed, I hope. My pitch for co-commentators for Dead Space 3 was so monumentally bad that it got referenced in a slowbeef video. I straight up said like "my co commentator is a jerk and an rear end in a top hat and I don't wanna talk to him anymore. someone else hang out with me instead for this game that sucks!" again I was very stupid and self absorbed especially because i made up with jake like later that week

edit: also I published this post before it was finished. dont phone post

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The simple fact is, I will live essentially forever because I made these videos. So will my friends who feature in my videos. Someday I will die but my goofy jokes about Creed will probably make my kids laugh. I'm really not worried about the things I said in the videos because all you have to do is look at the date it was posted, and then look at a more recent one to see I grew.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Whoa, what's with all this mature, self-aware crap!? You're supposed to go on an epic meltdown about cancel culture and the woke mob before storming off to try and grift the alt-right with your sob story!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Actually I just remembered the specific joke that caused me to totally reconsider whether or not that type of insensitive humor is acceptable. It's in the Dark Souls LP, outside the Crystal Caves on the way to fight Seath. Fae and I are talking about how cool it is that they actually put the character model in the crystal golem, or dicks, one of the two, and when Sieglinde pops out I wanted to make a joke about it being Siegmeyer and then being proven incorrect when she speaks. Y'know, to play off the game clearly wanting you to think that and stuff! A way to bring the discussion back to the game and away from probably dicks.

Well, because I was becoming a part of the LGBT community at the time (which is an enormous part of that LP thinking back) that kind of stuff was on my mind and I made a really blunt joke about taking hormones or something. But after I said it and Fae went like "ohh don't be meann" because that is pretty rude, it worried me that I couldn't trust my sense of humor to unconsciously 'find' a joke that was appropriate and not a rude thing to say. It has always stuck with me that I made that joke because medibot of all people was in the stream chat and that guy is one of my favorite LPers ever and I was so very ashamed I self-assessed that poo poo outta me immediately.

edit: It's also just good to put all this poo poo out there because nobody ever talks about the process of growth itself. Sometimes it's gradual, sometimes it's not, but it's worth exploring because it helps dispell the idea that prostration and apologia has to be embarrassing. Swallowing the fear of having said crap that's not ok- without having to simultaneously feel like you gotta vanish in a puff of smoke -should be more normalized!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 20, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer posted:

Whoa, what's with all this mature, self-aware crap!? You're supposed to go on an epic meltdown about cancel culture and the woke mob before storming off to try and grift the alt-right with your sob story!

Yeah seriously, I was hanging on for the fox news appearance!! CJ you're being far too reasonable

CJacobs posted:

Actually I just remembered the specific joke that caused me to totally reconsider whether or not that type of insensitive humor is acceptable. It's in the Dark Souls LP, outside the Crystal Caves on the way to fight Seath. Fae and I are talking about how cool it is that they actually put the character model in the crystal golem, or dicks, one of the two, and when Sieglinde pops out I wanted to make a joke about it being Siegmeyer and then being proven incorrect when she speaks. Y'know, to play off the game clearly wanting you to think that and stuff! A way to bring the discussion back to the game and away from probably dicks.

Well, because I was becoming a part of the LGBT community at the time (which is an enormous part of that LP thinking back) that kind of stuff was on my mind and I made a really blunt joke about taking hormones or something. But after I said it and Fae went like "ohh don't be meann" because that is pretty rude, it worried me that I couldn't trust my sense of humor to unconsciously 'find' a joke that was appropriate and not a rude thing to say. It has always stuck with me that I made that joke because medibot of all people was in the stream chat and that guy is one of my favorite LPers ever and I was so very ashamed I self-assessed that poo poo outta me immediately.

edit: It's also just good to put all this poo poo out there because nobody ever talks about the process of growth itself. Sometimes it's gradual, sometimes it's not, but it's worth exploring because it helps dispell the idea that prostration and apologia has to be embarrassing. Swallowing the fear of having said crap that's not ok- without having to simultaneously feel like you gotta vanish in a puff of smoke -should be more normalized!

But sincerely, well done dude

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Good job man. Not only for growing, but for being able to acknowledge past mistakes and keeping growing, which sometimes takes balls to do.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Moon Slayer posted:

Ha, but seriously, I am always open to criticism. None of my jokes are ever intended to hurt or insult anyone. But if I do, I'd like to know. I'd like the chance to learn and grow as a person.

Like this for example... it was so long ago I genuinely can't remember if I made this joke or no. In this moment, my thought is "yikes, I would never make a joke like that now" but I can't speak for my past self. I was waaaay more ignorant of a great deal of things then. I've done some learning and still have much more to do. If that was me, then I'll absolutely cop to that being a weak, insensitive joke.

Also, one thing I struggled with when I was younger was calling people out when they made bad jokes. There was definitely a fear of not wanting to rock the boat and have people get upset with me. I definitely have a far easier time speaking up nowadays.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/CJacobsLP/status/1416847225909620738?s=20

https://twitter.com/CJacobsLP/status/1416849688062464001?s=20

And the full scene with no commentary or markers for the cuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Qg3YmukHo

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 18, 2021

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Welcome back!

Looking forward to Dead Space 3, the Control LP convinced me to pick up the directors cut when it came out.
Any chance of a return to The Evil Within 2?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ooh, that's some very neat editing, I love that kind of effort and being made aware of that effort. I don't quite have the awareness to pick up on that sort of thing in the moment, but it definitely improves the experience compared to simply hanging over Isaac's shoulder for that entire sequence.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, nice; that's a good way to show both perspectives. I mean, I have watched a co-op LP (of FEAR 3) with one video for each perspective open on each of my monitors... but this seems easier.

I'm actually right in the middle of replaying the first Dead Space - I've had a weird hankering for it, like I said - and... it's always been about as subtle as a sledgehammer in a butcher shop, but man, I'd forgotten just how much they loving hated the very idea of subtlety and tension.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for the kind words, I'm super looking forward to it. And don't touch that dial, I'm about to one-up myself with the actual ingame reflection of the scene that I posted above!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As9mGdPJo7I

Another preview slice of the editing style! This time it's an example fight & conversation from a co-op mission and how it can be edited to be somewhat filmic instead of just two guys standing around! Check it out!

Everything about this scene was choreographed including placing Crow up on the balcony. The hallucination begins when you use the door next to Carver but it locks him in place so I couldn't be the one to touch it as I wanted to be in the middle of the room. Then he is attacked forever in reality until he ends the nightmare, so Crow had to use the door and then SPRINT to the elevator and ascend to get that angle on me while also fighting necromorphs. Little tricks like that will make this thing something beyond cool to watch, I hope!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 19, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

drat. That's really good and I'm very hype for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wokrider posted:

Welcome back!

Looking forward to Dead Space 3, the Control LP convinced me to pick up the directors cut when it came out.
Any chance of a return to The Evil Within 2?

Yes! I definitely want to return to The Evil Within 2 and do the LP with fresh eyes, that game is still super dear me. Think I jumped the gun on it and started it without proper planning of stuff like the tone of the commentary. This time around I'm gonna save my own sanity and only do one, maybe two major projects at once, but I ain't done by a long shot yee haw.