Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It does not actually stand for Bridges Toucher.

edit: Dammit a new page!! My double post joke is ruined!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You didn't, they did not explain what BT stands for yet. CJacobs did cover this in the supplemental video though (without spoiling anything). BB stands for Bridge Baby which they did say, which might imply that BT stands for Bridge T____. Dunno what the T stands for in that case though.

Oh drat there's two videos, I missed that

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

CJacobs posted:

It's okay, the joke worked in my heart. :)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The T ttands tor TJacobs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Looking forward to watching dead whale simulator 9000!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
BT is the robot from Titanfall. Time Fall? Titanfall reference again. I'm excited to hear CooperJacobs explain this strand-type Jacobs to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fish Noise posted:

The T ttands tor TJacobs.

:hmmyes:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I know the whole "Kojima wants to make movies, not video games" thing is a pretty tired meme at this point, but just look at the opening sequence of this game. Up until you take control of the character, or at least get close enough to see that it's not a real person it really is just about indistinguishable from an actual film at that point, at least in terms of presentation.

I actually think this is generally a good thing because nobody is really making games like that right now. It's just...very blatant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like a lot of the time Kojima trips over his own auteurial dick, especially in MGSV, which I enjoyed but he went so far up his own rear end stylistically that it started to really clash with the idea of this being like, a game that takes place in an actual historical place and time in something resembling reality. And the gameplay felt very disconnected from the cutscenes. Which isn't to say he's pretentious, he just obviously has a really strong concern for style and story in his games but sometimes I think they don't fit the actual gameplay and in the case of MGS I wonder if his stylistic preferences over time have perhaps outstripped the need to stay within the confines of the setting?

Whereas this is so far removed from reality, or at least from the first cutscene it appears to be, that it's actually kinda going the other way. I wrote it on youtube but again here, it feels like a dream. Like the stuff I find annoying in MGSV because it clashes with the gameplay, here looks like it fits the gameplay better, from what little I've seen? Like a game about hiking empty but beautiful landscapes in a surreal world? That fits really well with Kojima's trademark weirdness.

Also the game gives me a huge SCP vibe too, like the way it throws you into the middle, the existential horror in the setting, the hazards representing human fears and failings like death and aging and poo poo, it feels like Kojima writing an SCP article in the form of a game.

I'm really curious where this goes cos I've had no prior exposure to the game. It might be that a fresh IP and the chance for him to really shove the whole thing way out there into fantasyland might make for a much more coherent experience?

It's also giving me big Caves of Qud vibes too, similar dreamlike quality, a world so removed from the familiar but still with people in it. Or like tarkovsky's Stalker.

Kojima has definitely seen Stalker hasn't he?

Also I'm gonna guess BT is Beach Thing because they mentioned the things from the beach showing up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 27, 2020

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The C stands for cardio.

A Let's Play by Cryptobiote Jacobs, known eater of bugs.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
A CryptobioteJacobs a day keeps the LP in play.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OwlFancier posted:

It's also giving me big Caves of Qud vibes too, similar dreamlike quality, a world so removed from the familiar but still with people in it. Or like tarkovsky's Stalker.

I would honestly refuse to believe otherwise. The Stalker/Roadside Picnic vibes in this game are far too strong, while also successfully being pretty distinct by invoking the supernatural instead of the extraterrestrial.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

Did I miss when they mentioned what BT stands or do we not know yet? Not going to risk googling it in case it's a massive spoiler or somesuch

Black Tar? Considering all this oily sludge.

All this could be a long elaborate metaphor how millennials ruined the American car industry and national highway system.
Have you seen these Bridges Corpse Disposal trucks? I bet those is electric and emission friendly.

(Nah)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm also wondering if the characters are taking their names from the companies they work for? Like that's just a thing you do when you join one.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So Timefall seems to be weirdly inconsistent, isn't it? Like it ages biological matter by decades in a matter of minutes and even the photograph was aged, but Sam's gear seems completely fine. Obviously it's all made of metal and plastic, but getting caught in a Timefall for even ten minutes seems like it would be the equivalent of a century of neglect which I'm sure would have some impact. Is that mirrored in gameplay latter on?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

So Timefall seems to be weirdly inconsistent, isn't it? Like it ages biological matter by decades in a matter of minutes and even the photograph was aged, but Sam's gear seems completely fine. Obviously it's all made of metal and plastic, but getting caught in a Timefall for even ten minutes seems like it would be the equivalent of a century of neglect which I'm sure would have some impact. Is that mirrored in gameplay latter on?

The packages you're carrying do get damaged by the timefall until you get a tarp. I think Sam's gear is implied to be both very resistant and also replaced every time he goes into a base.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
On the topic of gear, I have questions about Fragile's umbrella. Of course she got drenched using that thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was expecting her to point it in the air and take off like mary poppins. But with jet engine noises.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OwlFancier posted:

I'm also wondering if the characters are taking their names from the companies they work for? Like that's just a thing you do when you join one.

LPJacobs (the LP stands for "Let's Play")

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Strange Matter posted:

I mean you'd think even the moss wouldn't be resistant to time changing its appearance, and there was plant matter growing and dying during the BT void event, but the moss didn't change at all while the rain was falling. Plus there's the matter of the buildings and vehicles in the base he was at which also really should be affected, but which didn't need engineers or mechanics all over the place to fix things after the rain. Given everything that happened to make our protagonist immune to death, it's probably best to treat a lot of this as more crazy magic/supernatural than weird sci-fi with explanations that fit our current science perfectly (at least until Kojima tries to explain it later, which hopefully won't happen).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres actually an interesting explanation why buildings/cities arent affected by Timefall but its never mentioned in the cutscenes, you just kinda figure it out if you stumble on it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Fedule posted:

The popular cliche criticism of Kojima is that he "needs an editor". This is... sort of actually true, but frequently for a meaning of "editor" that's not what the people saying this thing have in mind.

The editor Kojima needs isn't a ruthless volume cutter, but a localisation editor. Kojima is - I am told, by people who play his games in the original Japanese in which they were written and whose opinions on these things I take seriously - actually a really good writer, with a resonant, poetic style. Unfortunately, he also likes to personally oversee the localisation of his work, and insists on very literal translations that come off as variously overwrought or stilted in English, and which a lot of people who don't come in expecting it frequently find offputting. The evidence of this is all over Metal Gear; see the saga of Jeremy Blaustein and compare and contrast the codecs and cutscenes in MGSs 2, 3 and 4 with the same things in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which was localised by 8-4 and not by KojiPro. In the opening moments of Death Stranding, we've had "Once, there was an explosion, a bang which __________, and then came the next bang". I found this immediately jarring. I suspect the original Japanese was beautifully poetic to fluent Japanese speakers, though.

Fortunately, this is largely an in-the-moment issue with dialogue, and the broader strokes of Kojima plots are usually able to come together in retrospect and work on all the levels they're intended to work on. Death Stranding in particular (talking only about it as a story here) is a work that I kinda hated after a while playing through, but kinda loved in retrospect after it all came together.

The other thing Kojima really really needs is a good UI/UX guy, because, uh. Well, we'll get to that later.

I desperately hope this is true for me as well, because I feel like I've just been bludgeoned for 47 straight minutes with a giant sledgehammer with "SYMBOLISM!" written on it.

And it pisses me off even more that the cheap, blunt emotional tugs woven in there worked. :argh:

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 27, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The 'C' definitely stands for Cryptobiotes. We have found the truth. :hai:

Fat Samurai posted:

On the topic of gear, I have questions about Fragile's umbrella. Of course she got drenched using that thing.

We will learn about Fragile's weird umbrella and ferrofluid shoulderpads! Kojima games are nothing if not thorough about their weird sci fi tech. See nanomachines (, son) et al for infinite examples.

Also regarding the timefall being inconsistent about what it melts through, we'll get an explanation for why that is in a few videos' time. Just know that nothing is immune to timefall, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! It just means that technology surrounding the timefall can be focused around longevity instead of immunity.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 27, 2020

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

OwlFancier posted:

Or like tarkovsky's Stalker.

I watched this played by That One Mortal Kombat channel when it came out and very quickly observed that the game parts in and of themselves feel extremely STALKER through the Kojima funhouse mirror. The stamina and load management, the equipment selection, the scavenging, the routing decisions while running back and forth making deliveries and doing odd jobs for misc. people in a hostile but pretty environment with anomalies and mutants and so on, the mysteries of what the gently caress is happening, etc. The comparison does break down... later, so I'll just leave that be for now.

CJacobs posted:

The 'C' definitely stands for Cryptobiotes. We have found the truth. :hai:
don't get vorny on us now

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

We will learn about Fragile's weird umbrella and ferrofluid shoulderpads! Kojima games are nothing if not thorough about their weird sci fi tech. See nanomachines (, son) et al for infinite examples.

Also regarding the timefall being inconsistent about what it melts through, we'll get an explanation for why that is in a few videos' time. Just know that nothing is immune to timefall, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! It just means that technology surrounding the timefall can be focused around longevity instead of immunity.

Will we get an explanation of why just having a hood up protects their faces?

That seems to have bothered me the most for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

Kojima wants you to see the motion capture v:shobon:v

But no I don't think they explain that, because really anything they could come up with would sound silly. Protect your face Norman Reedus it's the only one you got!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CJacobs posted:

Kojima wants you to see the motion capture v:shobon:v

But no I don't think they explain that, because really anything they could come up with would sound silly. Protect your face Norman Reedus it's the only one you got!!

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Tenebrais posted:

Norman Reedus ages VERY gracefully.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Was waiting for this CJacobs LP. That smooth voice talking to me in a super chilled manner about cool games. Awww yeh.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, as one of those few people who has NOT played Death Stranding and only has some vague ideas about the plot, I am quite impressed (and confused as hell, naturally; appreciate the basic intro video). So, just to see if I've got the insanity straight thus far, my understanding is we're in some sort of weird post apocalypse where America is cut off from everybody else yet still somehow able to produce amazing technology (at least the timefall explains the lack of Mad Max apocalypse; War Boys riding in open vehicles would pretty quickly become non-intimidating when they suddenly qualified for AARP in a storm), and given the whole death theme and one of the BTs appearing to be born from a dead guy I'm gonna guess it's some variation on "ghost apocalypse" since the BTs have a definite ghost vibe with the whole handprint thing. Kojima appears to have kept his trademark strange naming conventions since one wonders what psychos would name their daughter Fragile which oh so conveniently matches her having an old person's body (that she can still walk around like a young person with, not to mention a certain lack of, ahem, sag), we have a delivery man named Porter Bridges, the death setting has some sort of weird syndrome called doom (which apparently makes people cry when exposed to dead things which is actually a neat touch honestly) and I expect we'll hear even weirder ones chosen for theme over realism shortly.

I gotta admit I'm hoping we get some fill-in shortly as to how anybody survives at all since the demonstrated rules of the setting make it kind of unclear. Do the cities have some way of keeping the BTs from just strolling in that can't be used with couriers? I'd think since apparently they're attracted to sound (human sound, anyway, those deer seemed surprisingly alright apart from doom rain and God only knows how they handle eating) and large clusters of people would have that, any major population group gets flooded with ghost explosions, especially whenever it first popped up since I assume the ghost apocalypse did not come with a survival guide with helpful tips like "rain is REALLY bad now" and "giant ghosts will eat you and blow up unless you kill yourself in time". You'd think it'd be wall to wall booms wiping out too much of humanity to survive in the first few days. And of course rain that ages everything it hits seems incompatible with any sort of tech society, much less one with future tech; cities that didn't blow up would crumble as every part of the buildings started super-decaying, unless all that plastic stuff they're wearing is super nonbiodegradable or something. Maybe that kind of environmentalist nightmare explains all the dead whales and dolphins and such :D.

Anyway, very strange game and I expect only going to get stranger, but boy you're right about it being pretty as hell in between moments of abject terror (ghost apocalypse is definitely appropriately scary poo poo). I am highly amused that our main gameplay from what I'm spoiled on is going to be delivery man; sure it's obviously a hardcore job in this setting even when you aren't getting randomly recruited into delivering corpses but it's a pretty funny choice for how to interact with the strangeness of this setting. I also gather from what vids I've seen packing all this stuff can quickly turn into entertaining Jenga displays that quickly become slapstick when people apparently aren't quite careful enough walking around and spill everything in existence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MadDogMike posted:

Kojima appears to have kept his trademark strange naming conventions since one wonders what psychos would name their daughter Fragile which oh so conveniently matches her having an old person's body (that she can still walk around like a young person with, not to mention a certain lack of, ahem, sag),

I thought she just had an old person hand? Like the rest of her is normal but her arm got rained on?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad to see you folks are approaching it with an open mind, I really like reading posts like MadDogMike's. I think part of the fun of this will be working together to suss out the specifics of the world building, with little pushes by my guiding hand here and there.

Maaaannnn this thread is already gettin some real drat good posts

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

I thought she just had an old person hand? Like the rest of her is normal but her arm got rained on?

"Not much left of me either. Got soaked from neck to toe."

So it seems not just the hand and forearm. Future leather spandex just lets you look that young and good.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OutofSight posted:

"Not much left of me either. Got soaked from neck to toe."

So it seems not just the hand and forearm. Future leather spandex just lets you look that young and good.

Oh poo poo, you're completely right. In my defense I was half asleep when I watched the video and CJ has a very soothing voice so I seemed to have missed some important details

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm curious what she was doing to get rained on from the head down.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

OwlFancier posted:

There are no tanning booths in the apocalypse.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

a fez

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Or made better???

This game has some of the best music I've heard in forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

You unlock a certain animation with a bridges toucher