Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You're a part of me, and I'm a part of you. And we're a long way from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

B(ridge)T

I figured it out.

Also does that mean her name was bridget bridges?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 1, 2020

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I think they just got "Bridges" from "Bridget", rather than it being her surname. "Bridget, Building Bridges" could work as a political campaign slogan, though. Maybe.

The Last American President. I'm sorry, we ran out of elections a few years back. Just plum out of elections! Thought we had some extras stored out back, maybe even just a Mayoral Election if not a Presidential one, but nope, fresh out of elections.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Election Machine 🅱️roke

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that in this game, kojima seems to be treating america the way he treats outer heaven in MGS :v:

Bridges is the boss, sam is snake, america is outer heaven.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My one criticism of the environments is that they're absolutely stunning to see and run around in, but they mostly don't really feel like the US to me, even a broken and changed future version. It made perfect sense when I found out they did a lot of work with Iceland scenery. Not a big deal, the game looks too gorgeous to really be upset, but it did take me out of the game a bit when I thought about it too much.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
At first I was a bit "no, the president doesn't get a fecking lifetime appointment in the case of a calamity, Kojima, you numpty", but then I remembered the Enclave from Fallout, so there's precedent. (Heh, president precedent.) The difference being that Bridges isn't cartoonishly evil (at least on the outside; we'll see where this goes) so they can have a public face. Which obviously can't be Die-Hardman, despite him being the president's right-hand man (VP? Cabinet member?), because he doesn't seem to have a face.

Also how did they name someone Die-Hardman and not try to license Bruce Willis's face. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game pretty much doesn't take place in the United States. It does geographically, and for the rest of the game they're gonna say it does, and the map is shaped like the US, but oh boy you are not gonna see a single land feature reminiscent of any part of North America. It's awesome and dumb as hell.

But I think that's part of the point of it. They're gonna keep saying America, America, America to describe the land mass we're about to walk all over, but it looks completely unlike the America we know. It contributes to the foreign, almost alien feel of the game world (unless you live in Iceland and see stuff like this outside your window every day I guess). Of course it doesn't seem like America, not even to the people living in it, that's why the characters are trying so hard to remind people of it so that it doesn't get lost.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 1, 2020

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The first time you play this, that initial BT encounter is terrifying. Later, after more encounters and a few tools, you kinda get to be like "pffft" and end up barreling through them. They can still eat you if you screw up though.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Just realized he's named Sam, like Uncle Sam.

quote:

The precise origin of the Uncle Sam character is unclear, but a popular legend is that the name "Uncle Sam" was derived from Samuel Wilson, a meatpacker from Troy, New York who supplied rations for American soldiers during the War of 1812.
Haha

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

But I think that's part of the point of it. They're gonna keep saying America, America, America to describe the land mass we're about to walk all over, but it looks completely unlike the America we know. It contributes to the foreign, almost alien feel of the game world (unless you live in Iceland and see stuff like this outside your window every day I guess). Of course it doesn't seem like America, not even to the people living in it, that's why the characters are trying so hard to remind people of it so that it doesn't get lost.

That's fair, I could see some reasoning behind that. I guess what threw me was that it looks so much like somewhere else specific rather than just different in general. Not a big deal though, just an interesting choice I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's fair, I could see some reasoning behind that. I guess what threw me was that it looks so much like somewhere else specific rather than just different in general. Not a big deal though, just an interesting choice I guess.

Yeah totally, I think what we got was just the best of a tough creative situation. They wanted to make it clear that the game takes place in the near future on Earth, as in the one we live on in real life and not a fictional scifi alt-history version, so they had to take inspiration from somewhere real. But to get across the "everything we knew is going away including the very landmass itself" feel it had to be somewhere unique looking. So why not pluck some locations to scout from Kojima's vacation photo album eh? v:v:v

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 1, 2020

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

night slime posted:

Just realized he's named Sam, like Uncle Sam.

Given the picture, I think this is incredibly intentional. It's a picture of Sam, a woman who we know from the "I'll see you on the Beach" flash of her healthy is Bridget Strand, and a pregnant woman that I would guess is the "Amelie" mentioned in this episode. First thought was that it was his wife, but when he started hoofing it with the president's corpse it occurred to me that it's more likely his sister. And if his sister has a child, that makes him an uncle. Uncle Sam.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Bridget "Bridge It" Bridges.

It always seemed to me that Death Standing is in large part about the very abstract idea of America rather than any particular literal aspect of the place itself, be it as a landmass or a geopolitical entity (save for how the game's map has a broad shape that vaguely resembles the shape of the IRL United States). Death Stranding is pretty explicitly evoking the most basic concept of the USA; a collection of independent bodies working together under a common leadership. Nothing tangible ties it to the America we know, but Death Standing is still about an America, somehow.

Or at least, that's how I choose to bridge this gap.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I am enjoying the chill scenery and the scary targhosts and the Kojima drama, and I can't wait until we get to add "Sam fall down and swears and his cargo goes flying" to the mix :buddy:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I really want to believe Kojima made Norman Reedus fall down multiple mountainsides while carrying heavy packages to properly capture both the motion and frustration.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Maybe its just from it being said so much recently, but Repatriate started to sound a lot like Re-Patriot to me in that last video. Not sure how relevant it is, but I feel like it is probably intentional.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I noticed a weird strange mildly odd thing in the video at 53:40. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtzTLi1ZbU&t=3220s

BB bubbles out a heart shaped bubble. How odd.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I thought the BB was what let you see the BTs? Sure, Sam can sense them, but it really seemed like he needed the BB to be functional to navigate that mess o' gooey ghosts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I thought the BB was what let you see the BTs? Sure, Sam can sense them, but it really seemed like he needed the BB to be functional to navigate that mess o' gooey ghosts.

Fragile made it seem like if you have more advanced DOOMS (whatever that is) you can actually see them. The BBs seem to be a stopgap for regular folks to manage with. (And based on Guillermo del Toro, sorry, "Deadman"'s reaction to Sam linking one, are not supposed to be given to or used by people with DOOMS.)

Incidentally, how wild is it that Guillermo del Toro got cast in what seems like a fairly substantial role at the moment? I know it's because Kojima's a huge fanboy, but it's such a weird choice. del Toro is definitely not famous because of his acting, and he's gotta be a pretty busy dude, too.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Del Toro didnt actually do any acting/mocap for the game, they just scanned him.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
"If that's not symbolic, I don't know what is." - Die-Hardman, summing up the entire loving game. or at least what i've played of it, which is only slightly farther than the LP's gotten so far. The worldbuilding is fantastic, but... a lot of the actual dialogue sometimes strays into the territory of a character outright saying "This is the metaphor. This is what the metaphor means. Appreciate the art, player." and i'm like, I do appreciate the art, kojima! there's a lot of good stuff in here! I just wish maybe you'd be a bit subtler with the dialogue, is all.

I'm otherwise enjoying the game a lot so far. it's very relaxing, and there's a lot of very satisfying elements that the LP hasn't really gotten to yet so I won't go into them. I'm not regretting buying the game yet, at least (it helps that i managed to grab it while it was on sale, which this LP reminded me to do so thanks for that, CJ.)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

So there's our first concept, I suppose. Explained as thoroughly as it can be, for now. When a Marker isn't returned, it releases a signal into the air, and this signal attracts what are called swarmers - the gribblies that attacked us and our friends in the last video. We can avoid this by incinerating a body before it goes necro - or necromorphizes - after about 48 hours.

Time is a flat circle. This is a vision of convergence.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm of the opinion that Kojima has improved leaps in bounds over the last decade or so in terms of directing a game to have amazing, innovative gameplay elements, but starting from Metal Gear Solid 4 on he's increasingly lost touch with the goofy bullshit that made most of his early games so charming, in favor of increasingly schlocky melodrama. All-in-all I think Death Stranding is a fascinating game, but it's got some major flaws that I'm sure this LP will get into. Either way, I watched CJacobs stream this game blind and I'll be looking forward to this LP too.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I pledge Ali's ants
to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the real public
for Bridget Strand...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It seems like they should build these incinerators in more cities.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I noticed in the last video, that when Sam was on the beach he had the handcuffs and a, uh, different necklace on.

(timestamped to when Sam wakes up on the beach)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktv6fuzW1js&t=2651s

I wonder if it was just using the wrong model for the cutscene, or if it's supposed to mean something.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wonder if it was just using the wrong model for the cutscene, or if it's supposed to mean something.

Why not both?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Maybe its just from it being said so much recently, but Repatriate started to sound a lot like Re-Patriot to me in that last video. Not sure how relevant it is, but I feel like it is probably intentional.

Well the literal meaning of repatriate is to be brought or go back to your home country, and sam is on a quest to bring back his home country. It is a symbolism.

There's also the euphemistic use which is when you don't want to say deportation which might come up or something I dunno.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 1, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also, thank you CJ for actually looking ahead as you walk and not just six feet in front of you.

I don't know why so many people play 3rd person games like that, but it drives me insane.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Del Toro didnt actually do any acting/mocap for the game, they just scanned him.

Sure, but he's definitely voicing the character, and there's been a fair amount of dialogue from him so far. I have no idea if that continues, but it's already more than I would have expected from a "Special Guest".

The Lone Badger posted:

They probably have? This is the same city as the previous episode, just a different section because the previous bit got nuked in the voidout.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

malkav11 posted:

Sure, but he's definitely voicing the character, and there's been a fair amount of dialogue from him so far. I have no idea if that continues, but it's already more than I would have expected from a "Special Guest".

They probably have? This is the same city as the previous episode, just a different section because the previous bit got nuked in the voidout.

He's actually voiced by an actor named Jesse Corti.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

malkav11 posted:

No he's not. Jesse Corti is doing the voicework.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Ah. Fair enough.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

Also curious if containing the smoke/ash in a hermetically sealed container would work? Seems a lot better than spewing a crap ton of BT-attracting smoke every time someone dies. Then again, it could easily be handwaved that they can somehow sense it anyways.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Guper posted:

Also curious if containing the smoke/ash in a hermetically sealed container would work? Seems a lot better than spewing a crap ton of BT-attracting smoke every time someone dies. Then again, it could easily be handwaved that they can somehow sense it anyways.

i get the impression that the gold dust stuff can and will just sort of ignore anything you put it in - like how it leaks out of those pretty fuckin' heavy duty looking body bags like they're not even there. the weird tar monsters care not for our laws of physics, they're coming whether we like it or not.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Also if this is how it reacts when dispersed concentrating it may actually be significantly worse.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I see that the game follows the "chisel the theme in a hammer's face and repeatedly bonk the player with it" school of narrative. Yeah, I get it, cooperation, building bridges, courier letting people communicate with one another... stop saying Sam's surname or profession or whatever every three seconds, game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, thank you CJ for actually looking ahead as you walk and not just six feet in front of you.

I don't know why so many people play 3rd person games like that, but it drives me insane.

Haha and thank you for noticing it. Man it bothers me when people play that way. Look at the horizon! It's a game about walking, look where you're walking! Arrgghh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have known the pain of stubbing my toe and/or tripping on unexpected rocks while being too entranced by the mountain scenery during hikes, please use the proper constant 3-second up/down visual scan for the rest of the game.