Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I know the whole "Kojima wants to make movies, not video games" thing is a pretty tired meme at this point, but just look at the opening sequence of this game. Up until you take control of the character, or at least get close enough to see that it's not a real person it really is just about indistinguishable from an actual film at that point, at least in terms of presentation.

I actually think this is generally a good thing because nobody is really making games like that right now. It's just...very blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

OwlFancier posted:

It's also giving me big Caves of Qud vibes too, similar dreamlike quality, a world so removed from the familiar but still with people in it. Or like tarkovsky's Stalker.

Kojima has definitely seen Stalker hasn't he?
I would honestly refuse to believe otherwise. The Stalker/Roadside Picnic vibes in this game are far too strong, while also successfully being pretty distinct by invoking the supernatural instead of the extraterrestrial.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So Timefall seems to be weirdly inconsistent, isn't it? Like it ages biological matter by decades in a matter of minutes and even the photograph was aged, but Sam's gear seems completely fine. Obviously it's all made of metal and plastic, but getting caught in a Timefall for even ten minutes seems like it would be the equivalent of a century of neglect which I'm sure would have some impact. Is that mirrored in gameplay latter on?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Re: IcelandAmerica, the other reason the game opts for that approach is obviously that it makes it more interesting to navigate. America has a lot of interesting and challenging terrain for hiking, but those are divided up by vast stretches of nothing, so to make the game actually fun to play you'd need it to be uniformly more rugged than it actually is.