Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

I love the lore and design of Warhammer 40k but shouldn’t the rams on their ships be angled the other way? I know it’s fantasy but the current plow shape would seem to through debris into the cathedrals/bridge.

The designers of Battle Fleet Armageddon must agree with you because their plows are symmetrical on the top and bottom.

Really though asking why something isn't designed better just is a failure to grok the far future medieval mindset of 40K. It's one of the few pop space opera settings that's actually interested in the idea that its far future humans would see the world in very different terms than moderns.

The vessel is an instrument of the emperor's divine retribution made manifest by the toil of a million martyrs and the techno arcane mysteries of the machine cult. To serve aboard her is to fulfill the highest purpose: to deliver the emperor's wrath to his myriad foes and ensure yourself a place at his side in death. At least that's what you're supposed to believe and it's supposed to make up for the years and decades of drudge toil in some machine room or gun deck never seeing sunlight. You can see why rebellion is such a persistent problem.

While it's certainly possible that some educated people might question the shape of the prow, it's way WAY beyond the power of all but the mightiest normal humans to cause the toaster cult to reconsider their sacred designs.

A major theme of the setting is that the Imperium is much too large and dysfunctional to govern effectively, so the Imperium doing things wrong or stupidly is just a matter of course. Its sheer bloody stubbornness and inertia that hold it all together, not strategy or skill.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Elukka posted:

It makes sense that replicators have their limits because the post-scarcity of the Federation clearly has limits from what we see in the shows. It's strongly post-scarcity when it comes to basic necessities, fairly solidly post-scarcity when it comes to most things people could want, and not at all when it comes to things like starships and industrial replicators. Those are clearly scarce and valuable. Can't just go "Starship, Galaxy-class" to a big enough replicator, because that kind of post-scarcity would break the setting.

Or, to paraphrase the TNG Tech Manual on the subject, “If you were powerful enough to replicate a starship at the push of a button… you probably wouldn’t need to.”

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arglebargle III posted:

The designers of Battle Fleet Armageddon must agree with you because their plows are symmetrical on the top and bottom.

Really though asking why something isn't designed better just is a failure to grok the far future medieval mindset of 40K. It's one of the few pop space opera settings that's actually interested in the idea that its far future humans would see the world in very different terms than moderns.

The vessel is an instrument of the emperor's divine retribution made manifest by the toil of a million martyrs and the techno arcane mysteries of the machine cult. To serve aboard her is to fulfill the highest purpose: to deliver the emperor's wrath to his myriad foes and ensure yourself a place at his side in death. At least that's what you're supposed to believe and it's supposed to make up for the years and decades of drudge toil in some machine room or gun deck never seeing sunlight. You can see why rebellion is such a persistent problem.

While it's certainly possible that some educated people might question the shape of the prow, it's way WAY beyond the power of all but the mightiest normal humans to cause the toaster cult to reconsider their sacred designs.

A major theme of the setting is that the Imperium is much too large and dysfunctional to govern effectively, so the Imperium doing things wrong or stupidly is just a matter of course. Its sheer bloody stubbornness and inertia that hold it all together, not strategy or skill.

I actually do understand all this, I just hate it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
horrible doublepost

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Also in the original series, there are the Antares type freighters, which pop up a few times:

crewed version, with a little habitat pod on the front

Reminds me of Thunderbird 5

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I love the space churches. I'm making this gunboat.

You can tell Battlefleet Gothic had some naval history nerds involved from things like a bit about navy reformers getting so mad they turned to Chaos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was a Starfleet ship over on LDS that was a bit of a 40k tribute at one point, with the side profile and arriving by coming out of a swirly purple lightning cloud vortex.

https://i.imgur.com/BdRNiYd.mp4

Is it eeevil and from Starfleet's dark side? No, and after some misunderstandings the captain is going to 'maybe paint the ship some friendlier colors, turn on some lights so it isn't so creepy.'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mllaneza posted:

CW: This is still funny, but it's badly dated in women's and trans representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhOWuooYVY

How the hell have I never heard of this? LOL

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Online has played its hand at the style, too. There's an alien race that's effectively a bioweapon designed to look and act like demons from Klingon myth as an instrument of psychological terror, and players have gotten their mitts on most of their ships over the years. And they emit fire in motion.

Destroyer type.

Frigate type.

Carrier type.

Heavy carrier type.

Dreadnought type.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kar'fi carrier was great because it let you deploy a dozen little polluting space sailboats that all added up to a big statement of gently caress your atmosphere

Also it's a lionfish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well don't look at me. My main ship is a Necron Iconian vessel.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Animal-Mother posted:

How the hell have I never heard of this? LOL

I picked up the DVD set before it went out of print and the price got ridiculous. It was a good show! They did some actual science fictiony stuff. There wasn't an arc but some plots played out over time. I'd say it's worth a watch for retro value.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mllaneza posted:

I picked up the DVD set before it went out of print and the price got ridiculous. It was a good show! They did some actual science fictiony stuff. There wasn't an arc but some plots played out over time. I'd say it's worth a watch for retro value.

Same here. I had some super low-def copies I found online prior to that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Anniversary event ship in STO this year is an interesting specimen, a Federation/Dominion hybrid design now that a much less fascist Dominion is part of the Coalition. The Rex class here is specifically in both fluff and art design meant to be a synthesis of the Defiant class and the classic Jem'hadar attack ship.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cythereal posted:

Anniversary event ship in STO this year is an interesting specimen, a Federation/Dominion hybrid design now that a much less fascist Dominion is part of the Coalition. The Rex class here is specifically in both fluff and art design meant to be a synthesis of the Defiant class and the classic Jem'hadar attack ship.

Ah, the Rex class, technically full of clone troopers (since Jem'hadar are clones)

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
the Tickfiant

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cythereal posted:

I actually really really love this design. Of the original Defiant I had two main complaints:

- There's no real saucer to speak of
- It's hard to figure out what bit is warp nacelle; to my mind it practically lacks nacelles

This design however has:

- a saucer
- actual nacelles
- yet is still recognizably of the Defiant lineage
- kickass

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you want to see it in more traditional Federation coloration:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen an STO ship that wasn't hideous.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The hybrid ships are always a bit awkward because they're hybrid. For ships that aren't deliberate little gimmicks, I reckon STO has a pretty good batting average these days; I'd say about 30:40:30 'actually good : mediocre : incredibly bad'

A lot better than at launch era when it was 0:20:80.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

The hybrid ships are always a bit awkward because they're hybrid. For ships that aren't deliberate little gimmicks, I reckon STO has a pretty good batting average these days; I'd say about 30:40:30 'actually good : mediocre : incredibly bad'

A lot better than at launch era when it was 0:20:80.

I still think the Dervish was the one decent looking design in the lot at the time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

MikeJF posted:

which end is the front?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The tiny head with two glowing eyes

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just let the thread die if it’s just going to continued to be only filled with bullshit Star Trek Online trash.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

jeeves posted:

Just let the thread die if it’s just going to continued to be only filled with bullshit Star Trek Online trash.

Post something then

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

This angle makes it look like a Nebula-variant of the Galaxy Quest ship

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

That Works posted:

Post something then

edit - ASCAB: the S stands for "space"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Space Police were great kits.

For a peasant.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

I got this one for christmas once and it was an amazing set.

I also really digged the Rock Raiders stuff, I still play the game sometimes.

Tunnel Transport

The Chrome Chrusher

Another cool christmas present:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Exploriens were as close as we'll ever get to Star Trek Lego, some of the minifigs even have rank pips on their collar. I was lucky enough to get that bigass starship for my birthday in 97 and I have fond memories of it. :unsmith:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I got that ship as well, but as cool as it were, Ice Planet-anything still tops it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Striker and Galactic Peacekeeper were the best of the Space Police sets, especially once you threw the cops in the jail cell and let the cool Blacktron dude hijack the ship.

EDIT: I spent some time in stud.io making Blacktron 1 and Classic Space versions of the Peacekeeper. Was going to do M-Tron and Ice Planet as well but never got round to it.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 16, 2024

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Horsebanger posted:

I got this one for christmas once and it was an amazing set.
Same, that thing ruled.

Horsebanger posted:

I also really digged the Rock Raiders stuff, I still play the game sometimes.

Tunnel Transport

The Chrome Chrusher

I always wanted the Rock Raiders stuff, especially the Chrome Crusher, but only ever managed to get a Rapid Rider. I played the game so goddamn much. There's a remake of it out if you want better graphics, a level editor, and less crashing: https://baraklava.itch.io/manic-miners

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

You forgot to post the part where the model splits apart a-la USS Prometheus, where you get a manned section, an unmanned section, and....space jail.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They're just gonna leave them in a loving tiny box? In space? It's got bars, there's no atmosphere--he's in a loving spacesuit!

Fuckin' is right!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The only reason I posted the Space Police ship instead of the much cooler Ice Planet 2002 one is that the former is peak "some sort of light grid in the back of this image for MAX AWESOMENESS" Lego classic space marketing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Rock Raiders space connection was always weird to me. If anything it seems like it gives off a vibe like Disney's Atlantis. I wonder if there was meant to be a space connection with Hydronauts/Stingrays/Aquanauts/Aqua Sharks. God knows that the Aqua Sharks would probably have been the coolest ever lego "bad guy" faction for the Space Police to try to lock up. At least until the militarized Space Police 3 started going after alien pimps.

Not that there was much to really tell what a lot of the themes were really supposed to be. I remember Spyrius, which may have been intended to be some kind of space espionage faction, but from the sets released and the promotional images, all I could tell you about them is that they've got a lot of robots.

I have such a strong memory of catalogs being presented with this smiling robot guy. Makes me think they'd be more about like mining or industrial uses.

Lego just kinda got tired of spaceships for a little while, so they did a bunch of ground sci-fi stuff.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The Spyrius Saucer Centurion was badass, it split down the middle to pull apart a bit so that it could drop a buggy.

That said, I had multiple cool space Legos after it, but the Ice Planet Deep Freeze Defender was always and forever the crown jewel of my Lego collection

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cross post from the lego thread;
Decided to finish off another Peacekeeper variant, this time M-Tron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

jeeves posted:

Yeah kinda bored now