Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone on ice planet is required to carry a chainsaw. You know, that tool that you always need around ice.

Brawnfire posted:

That's how they make those awesome sculptures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's an integral part of their culture. Sikhs have knives, scandinavians have axes, germans have ordnung, and ice planets have chainsaws

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
And apparently, according to the new CMF series, cyborg penguin companions too.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I made another one of these for another Rogue Trader campaign.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone on ice planet is required to carry a chainsaw. You know, that tool that you always need around ice.

It's bright orange so it's obviously a thermal chainsaw!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Elukka posted:

Yeah I originally made it to imitate those. Some of the people still maintaining BFG are using some of these renders for ships in their rulebooks that were missing art. :shobon:

Any chance you'd be willing to do one of an Endeavour class light cruiser?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i want to see the lego ships + that shader

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007

Polaron posted:

It's bright orange so it's obviously a thermal chainsaw!

In the before-times they doubled as lightsabers too.

At least at my toy box.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Spindrift from Land of the Giants

It's a sub-orbital passenger ship going from Los Angeles to London in 1983 when it hit some kind of spatial anomaly and ends up on the giants' planet. There aren't many good images of it in the show, so this is a model.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's a sub-orbital passenger ship going from Los Angeles to London in 1983 when it hit some kind of spatial anomaly and ends up on the giants' planet. There aren't many good images of it in the show, so this is a model.

pleasingly bulbous

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Never even knew it had a name. Was an amazingly weird shape for a spaceship back then, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the air intake grille.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was this the same studio that did Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? Or was the Flying Sub just convergent evolution?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I think they just went with the logic of "if it can handle lots of atmospheres, then why can't it handle none."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

both series were by Irwin Allen Productions yeah

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

tribbledirigible posted:

I think they just went with the logic of "if it can handle lots of atmospheres, then why can't it handle none."

"How many atmospheres can this ship withstand?"

"Well it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love the original Futurama jokes so much.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm so sick of that quote

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's a perfectly cromulent quote

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

EC Henry made an imperial LAAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wwgb37DXZU

Now if he'd only finish his fan film

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I like that the mean weapons on the wings can cut the wings in half if they fire forward. Still a million times better than the suicide pods the republic used, though.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I like that the mean weapons on the wings can cut the wings in half if they fire forward. Still a million times better than the suicide pods the republic used, though.

In all fairness you could also say the gun on a spitfire will shoot the propeller off. I just assume there's a bit of engineering in there that keeps it sensible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You'd hope. It just seems an oversight to have a powerful weapon that can't fire forward.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That was an issue with the original LAAT's wing ball turrets, but removing the ball just exposes the issue. There does appear to be some kind of cannon aperture in front of the dish for in the specific edge case that the dishes need to fire straight forward, which only really raises more questions. The thing has four guns on the nose, so it seems kinda superfluous to worry about needing to fire the wing lasers forward.

It definitely preserves the whole spirit of the LAAT being armed with a stupid amount of guns but also with the Empire's chunky angles. The whole idea of mounting TIE bomber pods instead of the original cannons is kinda weird. It's an alright design but I think EC Henry has done better.

I kinda want to see a stripped-down Rebel version like with the Nebulon-B.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

In all fairness you could also say the gun on a spitfire will shoot the propeller off. I just assume there's a bit of engineering in there that keeps it sensible.

That would be pretty hard since a Spitfires guns are in its wings.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

double post

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 8, 2024

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

That would be pretty hard since a Spitfires guns are in its wings.
:eng99:

I was thinking of Fokkers, and managed to get pretty much everything wrong

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You'd hope. It just seems an oversight to have a powerful weapon that can't fire forward.

It is an clumsy landing craft, so I would have expected the weapons to be mostly for ground support and air defence which would be a good justification for guns that only fire up or down.

Why it has four forward firing guns is the weird bit imo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically all the guns are mounted on swivels, so that gives them some extra range of where they could fire, but I don't like how that many swivels with different ranges of motion would presumably make the guns very complicated to control (although that's something it really inherits from the original LAAT). I guess maybe in that bigger top section maybe there could be some extra stations for controlling the guns. The idea of a bigger interior space that's not directly in the troop deployment hold reminds me of the VAAT from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. I kinda figured they must use some of that interior space for like an office or something. For the Coruscant cops to do their space paperwork.

Attack helicopters tend to mount a lot of weapons on the nose even when they're meant to attack ground targets, but that's kinda complicated because helicopters usually tilt forwards and backwards in order to move, so "forward" mounted weapons on the axis of the vehicle itself will usually be pointed a bit downwards anyways. The LAAT doesn't really do that though and usually stays straight horizontal.

I really like the idea of downward-facing mounted laser cannons for ground attack craft. It's not really something that has a direct real-world analogue, but makes sense as an alternative to just bombs in a sci-fi setting. Kinda like upside-down artillery. That idea has been done in Star Wars with the Lancet, but while it's neat, it's kinda underbaked as a design. I guess better than you'd expect from an RTS doing random things to round out the faction arsenal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was an issue with the original LAAT's wing ball turrets, but removing the ball just exposes the issue. There does appear to be some kind of cannon aperture in front of the dish for in the specific edge case that the dishes need to fire straight forward, which only really raises more questions. The thing has four guns on the nose, so it seems kinda superfluous to worry about needing to fire the wing lasers forward.

I'm guessing that's channelling them into a long-range fire, longer than both the regular firing modes and the nose guns can effectively reach. They probably say somewhere in the video that I didn't watch all of.

That said, the video does straight up mention that the composite dish beam design on this wasn't ideal and ultimately not used that much.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 9, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, the Empire coming up with cool looking weapons that end up being lovely and inefficient with glaring weaknesses is a pretty standard Star Wars thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made this for my Rogue Trader game. The players found it lying on its side on the surface of a space hulk. They explored the lifeless hulk walking on the portside bulkheads, with nitrogen ice and the freeze-dried remains of the crew crunching under their feet. Above their heads, mummified servitors magnetized to the deck loomed ominously. After gaining access to key locations in the ship, the were able to determine that the techpriests led a mutiny against the captain, alleging that he had fallen under the sway of what they called a "machine rakshasa." It appeared that their intervention was not successful.

While searching for a way to salvage the ship while avoiding the arcane curse upon its cogitators, the explorers inadvertently reawakened an avatar of the dormant spirit. Ultimately they recovered the ship's command rod and battled the rakshasa to purge the great machine of its ancient bane.

Now after several weeks of labor they have restored the ship sufficiently to limp home. The re-heated halls stink with the rotting corpses of its crew, the bilges slosh with the ship's entire water supply burst from frozen pipes, the main data conduits from the bridge to engineering are a nonfunctional spider's web of splices, and none of the weapons or protection systems function. Crystal data slates as-yet-unexamined record its sordid history of civil strife on the eastern fringe. But to the explorers none of this matters -- they have salvaged a cruiser* from the depths of the Expanse, and return home with a prize that will launch their dynasty to rarified heights of wealth and power.

*light cruiser

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I made this for my Rogue Trader game. The players found it lying on its side on the surface of a space hulk. They explored the lifeless hulk walking on the portside bulkheads, with nitrogen ice and the freeze-dried remains of the crew crunching under their feet. Above their heads, mummified servitors magnetized to the deck loomed ominously. After gaining access to key locations in the ship, the were able to determine that the techpriests led a mutiny against the captain, alleging that he had fallen under the sway of what they called a "machine rakshasa." It appeared that their intervention was not successful.

While searching for a way to salvage the ship while avoiding the arcane curse upon its cogitators, the explorers inadvertently reawakened an avatar of the dormant spirit. Ultimately they recovered the ship's command rod and battled the rakshasa to purge the great machine of its ancient bane.

Now after several weeks of labor they have restored the ship sufficiently to limp home. The re-heated halls stink with the rotting corpses of its crew, the bilges slosh with the ship's entire water supply burst from frozen pipes, the main data conduits from the bridge to engineering are a nonfunctional spider's web of splices, and none of the weapons or protection systems function. Crystal data slates as-yet-unexamined record its sordid history of civil strife on the eastern fringe. But to the explorers none of this matters -- they have salvaged a cruiser* from the depths of the Expanse, and return home with a prize that will launch their dynasty to rarified heights of wealth and power.

*light cruiser

Thaaaats the stuff.

Straight into my veins.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Here's a haunted spaceship the size of vermont who saw more carnage inside it than the us civil war and that flies worse with more holes in it than bombed Beirut in '82. We'll do a small exorcism and hotwire it, fame and fortune awaits! 40k

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Here's a haunted spaceship the size of vermont who saw more carnage inside it than the us civil war and that flies worse with more holes in it than bombed Beirut in '82. We'll do a small exorcism and hotwire it, fame and fortune awaits! 40k

also, it's just a Light Cruiser.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh so it's the size of Delaware instead of Vermont.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's about 3900x800x600 meters.

If you put it down on the street grid in Manhattan with the ramming spike in battery park the plasma tubes would be in Noho.

The Cathedral makes a good size reference since it's a normal Cathedral size.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 10, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And what's the total internal square miles of deck?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've done my best to hedge there with all that machinery space!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember in one game of Rogue Trader I was playing as the seneschal, and I decided that the best way I could support my captain (and provide some insurance for myself) was to cultivate a shadow network of agents and informers among the ship's company. Every time the players got "loot" for whatever reason, while others went for cool weapons or gadgets or what-not, I would plow all of mine into expanding my web of vice and debt throughout the ship, giving me leverage over much of the crew.

This eventually paid off both positively and negatively (but in a fun way!). One time I was able to induce a fellow player's henchman to secretly deactivate the player's grenades (he'd been playing really recklessly), and then when he went to throw a grenade and flubbed the attack roll so bad that we would have been caught in the grenade's blast... the grenade just "mysteriously" failed to go off.

The other time we wound up getting to put down a mutiny because my hench had gone a bit mad and was twisting my network of agents to instigate a mutiny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Did they retcon the size of imperial ships? I remember reading something a long time ago where the imperial ships were so big each subsection developed its own culture and didn't interact with other areas of the ship.