Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I read this way back when, long before I was familiar with Steins;Gate and ended up quite enjoying it. It'll be nice to have a refresher. Re: the lack of official release: it's particularly frustrating that the translation was taken down by the team when Jast hired them and then an official translated version never did emerge. What a pain.

Yes, our protagonist is really, deliberately unlikable. But...well, stick with it, if you can. It's not one-dimensional, is all I will say.

I had completely forgotten that his fictional MMO is abbreviated ESO. That's going to get real confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ghost Car posted:

I think it's been a while since we did neutral, let's try that.

Takumi's hatred of cell phones because people can intrude on you by making phone calls at any time is interesting in light of Steins;Gate treating phones as devices that are mostly for text-based communication (such that a similarly socially-anxious quasi-hikikomori character loves them because she can text people instead of speaking to them even when they're in the same room). It seems like it should be representative of a shift in the way people generally thought of cell phones, but the games only came out a year apart so probably not. Maybe it's just that the SG cast are a bunch of weird nerds while Takumi's family are normal people who still want to actually talk to other people?

Like half my friends refuse to use voice calls on phones, including my girlfriend and like two or three other women I've dated. I think it's a common social anxiety thing.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think we've seen enough of the swords now for me to mention that they're an element I kind of wish hadn't been brought in. They're just such a wildly over the top anime thing that it always felt a bit jarring to me compared to the relatively plausible and horrific elements of the rest of the story. I still loved the VN overall, mind you.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I just don't really care which delusion we see. Partly because while it does influence narrative outcomes, the way it does that is so opaque as to prevent me from having any real investment in guiding things. But I really like the story, generally.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I'm thinking the Nanami that's been visiting him has never been the real thing, because there's no reason the real Nanami would know he exists.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Summaries. I was originally hoping to see the differences from my original playthrough (and ending B - I had no intention of replaying the entire VN to see it) but I quickly realized I didn't remember much at all it had been so long.

Still a fan, though. It's imperfect (I especially didn't like the delusionary assault on Rimi) but on the whole I've definitely enjoyed taking this ride again.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I wonder why they made completely different openings to different platform releases of Noah. Also, wow, the PS3 one is...much gorier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I still really like Chaos;Head overall, but I'm just as glad I didn't go back and unlock ending B. That's a lot of effort for some really gross torture and a worse ending than I'd already gotten.