Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

honestly as soon as I saw that dumbass cringey “TLOU2 is about hate” comment from Druckman I was out. when I said that combined with the gross sadistic first trailer made me not interested to play this game and concerned that this game’s story would just be edgy grimdark bullshit the posters jumped all over me.

on this day I am happy to be vindicated but mourn the loss of those brave posters who believed wrongly, but nevertheless so ardently in their cause. may they Rest In Peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet the characters aren't dressed as fetish maids in TLOU2 for one

not your fetish maybe

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

FallenGod posted:

I'll probably have to replay the first game, because I recall most of the worst stuff (outside of combat executions) being implied rather than lovingly rendered and lingered on.

David being creepy and almost certainly a rapist? Cool, I want to get Ellie the gently caress away from this guy.

David dragging her around the room by her hair, slamming her into poo poo and wrenching her arm out of its socket while she's screaming and crying? No, Neil, the gently caress are you doing?

pretty much. the first game was certainly grim and bleak but it never felt exploitative or gross to me. it never seemed like the goal of the violence was shock or titillation. the David stuff comes the closest to hitting that cartoony grimdark meter but it was just restrained enough to me to work

this poo poo has looked like trash since that torture trailer reveal and it continues to do so

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Stux posted:

agreed, how and why would anyone be physically fit in an apocalypse where you have to literally fight for your survival

it’s not even remotely feasible for her to have that physique in an apocalypse scenario. you don’t get that physique without a carefully regulated diet and full time weight training routine with gear usage on top of it.

her being a lebron James-esque genetic freak trans woman is actually kind of the only explanation that makes any kind of sense

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Gamers love the "badly written HBO drama with a boring hallway shooter in between episodes" genre. This thing will sell like hotcakes and game devs will continue to be abused and refuse to unionize due to decades of pro-corporate propaganda.

we live in the worst universe so this is the likely outcome realistically

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dork457 posted:

The only thing in recent memory that the leaks remind me of is A Way Out where (spoilers for that game) you play the entire game co-op until the very end when you find out that one of the players has been undercover the whole game and you fight to the death in a 1 on 1 gun battle. Like the whole game was a multiplayer lobby for the most underwhelming deathmatch mode.

It seems like games take for granted a lot the idea that because you're given control of something in game, you automatically adjust to the goals and parameters that the game has laid out for you. That bioshock reveal of "whoa what IS choice!?" only goes so far when you're talking in real world terms of you paying 60 dollars to play something. To be constantly confronted with the dollar store psychological bent of "whoa have you ever thought how you never actually questioned what the game was asking you to do?" gets a little old.

splinter cell conviction’s co-op story did that as well

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

do you think the guy who found this thread found it combing through search results for TLOU2 leaks as part of the most soul sucking job of all time or do you figure it's a poster who's a ND employee and also a gigantic baby

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

LionArcher posted:

In my post I never brought up either black/LGBT to look in a mirror. Being angry at a system that fundamentally doesn't work (or a group of people like police) makes total sense.

That's not what the game is talking about, nor is it what I'm talking about.

what is the game talking about

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

a friend loaned me their copy of the game so I’m finally getting around to playing it. gameplays good, story bad, etc, resurrecting this dead gay thread to ask: is every loving human encounter going to have dogs from here on in. cause I’m doing my level best to avoid killing these dogs, something they very clearly didn’t really design the game for you to do continually, and it’s just sucked all the fun out of it

killing the dogs won’t be fun either but if this is going to be a Thing every encounter then I’m just gonna start blasting dogs

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Just start blasting the dogs, it’s not like the game changes in any way from what you do and don’t kill.

oh yeah I know I just hate dog suffering even of the digital variety and avoid it if possible

i tried just killing the guys but then they just stand over the bodies whimpering which is some bullshit. they might as well have just had a PiP of neal druckmann holding a gun to a baby’s head at all times

basically im just only killing people who not only don’t have dogs, but who’s bodies i have determined will not be found by the dogs patrol route, preventing any chance of the dog having to be sad

the next step when this becomes non viable will be headshotting the dogs humanely and with dignity so they can be free of this digital prison

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Theres not that many in the whole game, if you've passed the first one or two dog encounters you're probably past most of them really

Though theres at least one plot mandated kill the dog

yeah I’ve read about the plot one. that’s good to know though. i want to go back to going knife batman on dudes with impunity

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

some dogs are good. other dogs are bad. dogs trained by fascists are bad.

this is not hard.

wow way to victim blame

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

we don’t have to spoiler anything in here anymore right?

anyway I’m on day 2ish of abby’s section and I just could not give less of a poo poo about this character or any of her stupid friends. if anything this is making me hate them more, not feel bad for my words and deeds as Ellie.

lev and yara are cool though

i guess on the flip side it has been fun to play more stupid and aggressive as abby because i’m just powering through and dont care at all about getting myself killed over and over, but im not sure if that was the intent

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just got to Santa Barbara/Abby got kidnapped and finally got back control of Ellie

hope Lev is ok but haha eat poo poo Abby you idiot

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

finished it

rich white people who like to cosplay as being working class always love crooked still

can’t say playing it changed my opinion on the story as I’d read it. playing as Abby was only as successful in as much as it was an interesting if extremely too long world building exercise. like a DLC campaign, or Resident Evil B path story or whatever. i guess the “play the game” stuff is presuming the player will connect and empathize with Abby by spending so much time with her, and I did, but just empathizing didn’t add anything that changed my perspective on her role in Ellie/Joel’s story or on how valid her motives were (not at all).

i imagine it might if you’re someone who thinks Joel made the wrong choice at the end of 1, but i’m not, so from my perspective the whole premise sort of falls flat no matter how much you show me she liked dogs and kids, because the central inciting crime still wasn’t justified. i feel bad for Alice, who did nothing wrong and was a perfect angel, but other than that line up 50 more of abby’s friends for me to kill, could not care less, all garbage. sorry about your dead dad and his friends who got killed trying to cut a 14 year old’s brain out.

outside of that, Ellie’s arc is good up until the ending, where I feel like it would’ve been better if Ellie had either finished Abby off in the water or just let her walk after following her and Lev to the boat and skipped the fight altogether. either would’ve been more narratively consistent than what they went with. presumably the intent was Ellie’s realization that her rage was due to a lack of closure with Joel more than anything and killing Abby wouldn’t give her that, but it felt unearned to me and muddled by how the whole thing plays out at the end.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

idk I kind of liked the seraphites. more than the wolves at least. they accepted a truce and seemed to be chill on their Minecraft island until the wolves killed a bunch of them. and they’re actually building a new society instead of foolishly clinging to the idea of bringing back the old world

now granted the new society they’re building is a heteronormative extremist one based on violent religious fundamentalism, but hey that’s showbiz baby

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it’s also kind of funny that so much is made of how Joel doomed humanity but humanity seems to be doing fine and moving on to the extent that it could plausibly be possible to

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Kin posted:

I just got around to playing this and I'm at the point where I'm now playing as Abby (day 1).

I kinda get the feeling I'm supposed to be developing sympathy for her and that the game is designed around me doing heinous poo poo to people who are "bad, no wait they were just normal people all along".

However, I can't.

She murdered Joel because he protected Ellie from getting murdered.

Like, Joel and Ellie were never given a choice IIRC. Sure Ellie would have probably gone along with it (and might have been able to convince Joel) but they straight up didn't get a say in it.

So gently caress Abby and gently caress her dad for trying to murder Ellie for "the greater good". gently caress her for living in what looks like what passes for luxury in this world yet still hunting down and murdering Joel.

gently caress her friends too, as they've been nothing but assholes for the first half of the game. I'm pretty sure I killed them all in self defence of myself or someone else.

Am I weird for thinking that?

you are not weird

you have what is called a normal person’s sense of morality

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

that Vice article is excellent and more or less articulates my criticisms of the story. particular the part about centrist moral equivalency. gross neolib author politics

tbh didn’t even connect that druckmann is Israeli and that makes a lot of things click together

free the seraphites

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

It seems like Lev largely exists to give Abby a "save the cat" moment (Lev being the cat in this scenario).

while I like Lev a lot and think he’s one of the high points of the story, this was my vibe as well. it’s effective but he never fully felt like his own character more than a plot device to me. i make fun of Abby but it was disappointing when I picked up Lev and realized her physical prowess was probably mostly a decision made to serve the TLOU1 Joel/Ellie gameplay parallel. she just plays like Joel.

it bummed me out because I was hoping she’d be something new and distinct from Ellie or Joel, really lean into her size and strength, but instead she actually ends up feeling weaker and more limited than Ellie (with the return of the shivs and all). it’s like instead of her being this unique physically overpowering female lead all she is both mechanically is just the dude from the last game. combined with the obvious story parallels with Joel’s arc it felt like a wasted opportunity

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Abby being a parallel of Joel is an intentional choice the game makes, mirroring Joel’s journey from “Murderous human trafficker” to “loving and devoted caretaker” in the first game. This adds narrative weight and dimension to Abby’s decision to murder him, as well as Ellie’s decision to threaten unconscious Lev in the boat. Ellie is essentially holding a knife to her own throat (it’s a death of innocence thing, Ellie threatening Lev is the exact moment she sold her soul to the devil)

yeah dude I played the game

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

COVID-420 posted:

Just beat this and I love how gnarly they made Ellie's missing fingers look. She's not wearing a bandage or glove, she's just got these awful bloody red stumps.

that really bothered me. like she’s traveled all the way back across the country at that point, and not only has she not bandaged up her gross wound but it’s still bleeding and raw? that’s not how bodies work.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO the second to last thing Ellie does before “coming to Jesus” is hold a switchblade a sleeping child’s throat (literally the same child who saved her and her girlfriend and her son’s life 2 years ago) and force a woman who had been starved, beaten, and left for dead to fight her in mortal combat.

Just absolutely

Insanely

lol

she should’ve killed lev too. hammurabi’s law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Basticle posted:

When in a large battlegroup, why do my destroyer's Max Speed get cut in half, seemingly at random?

*edit* :lol: wrong thread

if you’re asking about your destroyer’s max speed you’re missing the point of the story