Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is what you get when your fanbase spends ten years going “hmm does anyone else think it’s a little weird that Nathan Drake is cracking jokes after murdering hundreds of guys :thunk: murdering hundreds of guys...is bad!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Oh and I guess Abby is trans. Hella cool, Neil. Wanna know a common ultra right-wing conservative talking point about transgender folk? That they're mentally ill. Can't say they can't be villains but, uh, might want to not make the only transgender woman in the game the villain who is has murder lust for the last game's protagonists. Just saying. The optics are really poo poo here.

Wait is she really lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do the leaks talk about how many ladders we have to move around in TLOU2?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I guess the problem is that it doesn’t matter how many people (myself included) cattily post in this thread making fun of how generic and lovely the leaked plot is because there are like a billion guys out there who are going to play this and do the soy face when they finally “get” the incredibly blunt messaging of the game. See the continued success of franchises like Westworld and Dad of War.

Basically, never put any faith in AAA western game writers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know what this means and I think that's probably a good thing

I suspect you do know what it means but the horror of recognition has left you too stunned to form an actual response.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I do not.

What is a soy face?

Pretend like you’re playing a game that’s the exact opposite of Nier Automata then turn off your monitor.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I thought that was just a joke, she’s not actually trans?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Kinda crackin' up at people being mad that the evil cult are supposedly christians as though turbo religious christian groups rounding up and murdering people, especially queer folk, isn't a thing that has happened and is currently happening around the world.

I don’t think people are mad because they think it’s not realistic, they’re mad because it’s super low hanging fruit.

IMO, writing something to get a genuine, memorable reaction from a player is hard, and from all the leaks it looks like ND is going for it in the most gratuitous, lowest effort way imaginable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lmao I’m reading a bunch more stuff suggesting that Abby actually is trans. Maybe there actually is something to the theory that Libs really don’t understand progressive politics and just sort of ape them for clout.

👏more 👏playable 👏trans 👏characters 👏who 👏brutally 👏murder 👏our 👏protagonists! 👏

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Honestly, the fact that TLOU2 ends with a bunch of insane women violently killing each other is very fitting for Dudes Rock 2020.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/naughty_dog/status/1254840504182665219?s=21

drat that’s desperate lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have no problem when characters get hurt or hosed up violently: The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Vengeance Trilogy- they all have parts that are gross and hard to watch, but they feel very deliberate and obviously serve a narrative purpose beyond just going “lol isn’t that gross.”

My problem with what we’ve heard and seen about TLOU2 is that it’s seems to be nasty just for the sake of it. It’s very funny to me that ND has been short stroking themselves for years over how mature and advanced their story telling is (remember when Druckman said they don’t use the word “fun” when designing games lol) and they ended basically just making an Eli Roth movie.

But we’ll see! Maybe the full game ends up earning all the scenes where people get liveleaked.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

It's not just because it's low hanging fruit, but it's also because it should have been clear to everyone by now that vilification of groups based on the bad actors in that group is an awful thing. How many Muslims were vilified in social and media settings in the 90s with the rise of terror attacks, and then even more so after 9/11? Way too many. We pushed back. How many of the world's billion+ Muslims harbor terrorist views or membership in terror groups? A vast minority, and most of the terror victims are other Muslims. So when Muslims get vilified as terrorists (instead of the other way around) we rightfully push back. You get it, and it applies to multiple groups. If they want to depict a group who run around committing organized murder, go for the Fallout method and make them their own thing without parallels. Homicidal homo-odium is anathema to the actual doctrines and rules of Christianity so why wouldn't we push back when another group is now in the firing line?

I think making the bad guys homophobic Christians is lazy but I don’t think this logic tracks for me. Are we just never supposed to use anything with a basis in reality as an antagonist because dummies might extend their feelings toward the game to real life?

The Muslim comparison also doesn’t make sense to me because I guarantee that American mass market news is way more instrumental in building anti-Islamic sentiment than 24 or whatever.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I'm just tired of the belief that "not all games have to be fun" as a way to circumvent how droll and painful segments of TLOU were. That game was I guess an interesting experience but I'd never play it again because of how miserable it was and how generally boring the core stuff was, being either drawn out stealth fights or moving ladders/boxes around. Plenty of games like the MGS series occasionally throws a weird segment in to the mix for the experience but generally they were fun to play.

That’s because most Western AAA game devs are hacks lol :carol:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MGS2 is a masterpiece and the best in the series imo but I probably wouldn’t like it as much if Raiden Isis beheaded snake because Kojima had an inferiority complex.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Firstborn posted:

People retroactively making GBS threads on the first game itt could chill a little bit. You're really cool for not caring about TLOU, ok? I kind of hope the leaks are fake or an early draft to throw off people. It sounds really mean spirited.
Uncharted 4 is fantastic, by the way. It's real odd how everyone is so quick to dismiss the other stuff this dude worked on.

E: I'm kind of reeling how sophomoric these reveals are when there is some actual heart in those two other games despite people coming out of the woodwork to explain how shallow and awful they were.
E2: I have not heard the "i'd rather watch a movie than this long cutscene" since probably MGS4, so this isn't without entertainment

I didn’t know that racism was bad until I saw it happen to an Orc cop and I didn’t know that sometimes...mankind is the real monster until I played TLOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

henpod posted:

The first game had great gameplay and mechanics / environments

:captainpop: