Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Post apocalyptic games about cycles of violence is already such a saturated space that you definitely need to bring something new to the table and it seems like naughty dog is just leaning into lovely tropes instead.

Like Nier and LISA are top tier games in this genre and I can't really see TLOU 2 doing anything to top them or set itself apart from other "cycles of violence" games in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet the characters aren't dressed as fetish maids in TLOU2 for one

I was thinking of the first Nier!!!

Although both games are obviously applicable

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like I don't think the kind of story they want to tell, in general, is completely off limits.

The issue is that Funny Games is focused and less than two hours, it's not something that's 20 hours of combat arenas with sick execution animations interspersed with box-pushing puzzles

As I mentioned earlier you definitely can make a long game out of it as well. LISA is an intensely cynical and mean-spirited game but it's also really funny so it's not an entirely miserable experience. And it manages to pull off multiple really brutal moments by having them permanently effect the game play as well.

I guess it ultimately comes down to whether TLOU2 is a humorless misery simulator or if it has a bit more going on with the story but from everything they've showed it seem like it will be the former.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

while there is nothing confirming that it's true if naughty dog tries to get around burying their gays by having a trans women do it then yikes

otherwise it's still yikes lol

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Stux posted:

i mean the point in spec ops the line is literally to say to the player "stop playing" thats the option youre given

v weird people trying to retroactively say spec ops was bad now too???? like its cool if you dont like stuff thats pretty miserable but that doesnt make it bad, it was really well done.

spec ops isn't commentary about the player, it's commentary about the genre and US foreign policy

there is never a point where you are supposed to stop playing

also spec ops is still a good game :colbert:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I feel like they could pull off having abby as the protagonist if she was the player character from the very beginning of the game.

Have the game be entirely from her perspective.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CharlestonJew posted:

I will complain about Abby being buff only if the game refuses to take advantage of it by not allowing you to falcon punch, suplex, and roundhouse kick zombies resident evil style

also this. make her leon with all of the campy quips

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

also metal gear solid 2, sort of

pulling off a protagonist switch is really hard so i'm interested to see how TLOU2 does it

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yardbomb posted:

Really I feel this wouldn't even help a lot if the reveal was still "You killed my dumb dad working for the super lovely group" like, okay sorry your dad was working with the douchebag militia who's 0 - 5 on cutting out people's brains for a cure, who were likely to be 0 - 6 after cutting out this next child's brain and who were gonna dump the guy who did literally all their work for them into the wilderness with nothing to die, while they've done a lot of nothing other than get their asses blown out, but Joel was right and you suck now too. Making it about "You killed the bunch of horrible assholes who my family were a part of!" is a really good way to make me stop caring about avenging your family at all.

Which is why I think the correct approach is to have it entirely from abby's perspective. She thinks the fireflies are good so show them doing good initially. Have the game be her realizing that they were mistaken and siding with ellie in the end

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Ultimately why TLOU or other cinematic games will never rise above fine for me is that I’m here for the gameplay first.

The story in TLOU is good but it could be a movie or tv show. The gameplay itself isn’t all that interesting to me.

Where game stories get interesting to me is when they successfully integrate the themes with the gameplay. Essentially to me a great game story is one that can only be told in a video game.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

if this were a game about a cult of body builders I'd be on board in an instant

basically make the main bad guys pillar men and have them fight with their fists only

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CharlestonJew posted:

its a mixture between a really dumb feature that some poor programmer probably missed his kid's birthday to implement, the fact that the marketing materials are pushing this one specific feature really hard, and while this is just personal preference, dog enemies suck in video games they're very annoying even though dogs irl are the best

Yeah a whole lot of dev time went into something that most people won't even notice by the time they've mowed down 50+ dogs.

Like I get that the point of it is that you are killing actual people and their pets but when the game play is killing hundreds of randos that are trying to kill you back it kind of loses it's impact a bit.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

after killing my hundredth slime, I dropped my sword and looked down at my hands stained blue. I cried to the heavens, "who is the real monster??"

dragon quest slimes are very cute

so yes you are the monster :colbert:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Stux posted:

imo the reaction to a game going "the killing will be bad because its bad to kill" being "make the killing fun for me to do like call of duty" is more telling, than anything. makes u think.

The killing will be fun because it's a AAA third person shooter, and that is what inevitably leads to people being desensitized to the dog name stuff.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The game play is pretty good in spec-ops, especially for an early 2010s shooter. It has good enemy variety and level design.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not fully against the concept of gameplay being 'bad' on purpose to make some kind of point but it needs to be a more interesting or less-trodden point than 'maybe violence is bad???'

Also I don't think you would ever see it in a AAA game. Even Death Stranding, a game that heavily discourages killing, gives you non-lethal guns that are functionally equivalent to their lethal counterparts.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I hate to be this way but most people who buy video games are not going into it and sussing out these messages. they're gonna see Joel get killed or the character you play as almost kill a pregnant woman and go, "wow, that's crazy....." and then turn it off and never think about it again unless they're the sort that wants to talk about it online. gamers have a very basic idea of criticism or expectations for what the things they consume can be. they buy Funko pops

so I don't really mind what their goals are insofar as trying to drill it into the heads of guys who saw Oldboy and had to think about it for a week. I'm gonna criticize it as it is, which is pretty facile. also I don't know if we can say the rank-and-file people working there know what they're doing considering the insane turnover between games. 70%?

Also people who are interested in exploring violence and player agency in games have already played or at least know about the many other games that deal with those concepts.

I feel like TLOU2 is about a decade too late to have any new or interesting ideas.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

ImpAtom posted:

This is the weirdest drat viewpoint. Just because one piece of fiction has explored something doesn't mean it is suddenly verboten for other pieces of fiction to do so. "Oh well, Metal Gear Solid said killing is bad and screws you up. That is the final word and no other video game is allowed to ever explore that subject."

I am not sure how cynical and jaded you have to be to end up at the viewpoint of "Well, I've seen something like this before and that instant renders it invalid or useless."

Oh I'm not saying games can't explore the subject matter anymore and in fact I hope more games do.

It's just TLOU2 appears to be doing it poorly and in a way that doesn't bring any new or interesting ideas to the discussion. If it had come out a decade ago I might have been more interested but today there are far more interesting explorations of violence and player agency.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Cuntellectual posted:

people who say spec ops has significantly worse 3rd person cover shooting than say, uncharted or gears of war are either meme brained or still really pissed about that one time walker vaulted when they didn't mean to, imo.

Oh yeah spec ops easily has better gameplay then any uncharted games and this is coming from someone who has played all of them. Its actually pretty fun and you can play fairly aggressively.

The fact that the levels are really cool and border on surreal adds a lot to it. Dropping into a room with thousands of lit candles was really cool even though it obviously wasn't realistic.

Also once you know the secret of the screen fade colors it becomes very interesting.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

also spec-ops had an absolutely phenomenal soundtrack, something TOLU will always lack

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

"fun" and "entertaining" aren't really terms you should use to describe something like TLOU2 or any AAA game really. Ultimately it's a product that needs to be profitable to a certain degree so a better term is "appeal". No AAA game will reduce it's appeal if only because it has to turn a profit and TLOU2 is no different. You will only ever see games that aren't "fun" or "entertaining" in the indie space because of capitalism.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Grapplejack posted:

lol if you think the writing in this piece of poo poo is going to get anywhere near drakengard

you're going to get the walking dead but flatter

TLOU writers don’t have the balls to have you team up with a pedophile, baby eating cannibal, and a genocidal racist to carry out your quest for revenge.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

ellie is morally correct to kill the dog because dog enemies loving suck rear end in video games

the flashback bit is extremely lol though and feels more like it should be a dark comedy bit rather than actual serious writing

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Instead of the the credits being all of the people that worked 60+ hours a week to make this game it's going to be the names of every person and dog you killed in the game.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Please don't post spoilers for The Last of Us 3.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I will in fact buy this game so that I can kill every dog in it

I will be the best player in the dog% speedrun

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CountryMatters posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really need any more stories of queerness surviving "against the odds"? I'm very tired of endless misery and torture and suffering all heaped upon queer folks for the titillation of straight people. Feels like every story about lgbtq people has to be about them being brutalised and oppressed.

I'm much more likely to buy that game PS5 announced about the lesbian dinosaurs. There is a gap in the market for stories about queerness just having a good time and being super cute.

Queer people (especially lesbians) in games seem to exist only to suffer.

Also that lesbian dinosaur game is definitely going to end with them being killed by a meteor.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Peacoffee posted:

that Vice comment about there being nothing we haven’t done in a previous ND game just kinda drove the nail in. I couldn’t even be bothered to start Uncharted 4 when I had it.

Uncharted 4 really started to drag at the end because of the bland 3rd person cover shooter gameplay.

Based on all of the reviews of TLOU2 it seems like it's basically the same 3rd person shooter with light stealth/survival mechanics as the first game with some minor improvements. And it sounds like it's stretched out over 25-30 hours so I can imagine that it will start to feel like a complete slog.

By this point there are so many better games in the 3rd person shooter, survival, and stealth genres that TLOU2 seems outdated before it even comes out. And if you still want that TLOU gameplay you might as well replay the first game instead of shelling out $60 for more of the same but with a worse story.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

the best GTA is still san andreas

vice city is also excellent

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

CJacobs posted:

How quickly we forget the best David Cage content ever produced, Da Hidden Dance Floor from Fahrenheit

the woman he dances with and briefly grinds on is also apparently modeled after his cousin lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

hatty posted:

I don’t think the reviews are paid I just think some game journos want to pretend they work for the New Yorker and like to wax poetic.

Also probably tons that are insecure about the fact that they review video games so they need to proclaim that games are finally serious now.