Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm convinced some reviewers haven't played the first game. What the gently caress are they talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's almost like it's a review of an entirely different game
I'm saying what from the first game would give the impression the sequel would be a carefree killing spree with carjacking.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Oh okay. Could've just said "It's a review of GTA5."

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Reading about this game makes me sad because I thought the first game was a really nice character study of a sociopath, or at least a guy who acts like one to bury his grief. I hope beyond the dumb plot details there's something interesting like that here. Maybe I'll find out in a year or whenever it's cheap.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What are the grounds on which Mel calls Abby a piece of poo poo who shouldn't come on the escape boat? This seems to play out like she has a point since Abby doesn't challenge her, but what has Abby done beyond carry out the brutal operations of the Wolves (torture, child killing) that Mel doesn't participate in herself but has gone along with for years? I don't think Abby can be exonerated for what she's done but Mel comes off like a hypocrite here, especially when this comes just after Abby has betrayed the Wolves to save the Scars girl.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

This far in I'm struggling to care that Ellie killed any of these people. They all suck except the Scar kids.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

How long have I got to go? Ellie has just left Dina at the farm and I've got control of Abby again.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

christmas boots posted:

You’re in the endgame. Only a few hours left I’d say depending on your skill level. If you’re really good might be like an hour
Cool thanks. Was hoping to finish it after work tonight so sounds good. I was surprised it didn't end at the cinema but I like the direction it's gone in.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Having finished, I had a good time but this won't leave a lasting impression on me like the first game. A point of the game is revenge is destructive to those around you and isn't a cure for grief, which I'd be fine with if Ellie's grief was handled in a similar way to Joel's. For Joel it hovers in the background and isn't a motivation for his journey. It colours his developing relationship with Ellie and then explodes in such a shocking way that it's more viscerally felt. It also makes you reflect on his past actions to make more plain how dubious a guy he is. TLoU2 tries to sustain the same emotion over 40 hours and it's clear with every beat where it's going and what point is being made. There's no surprises beyond minute to minute plot developments.

But I really liked the scene with the lamb that captured her trauma so well.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

bobjr posted:

Yeah, I've seen some people think it's unrealistic that Ellie would leave to get Abby one last time based on a somewhat vague clue, but the lamb scene is really good at selling how she still isn't over things or able to put it behind her and work on moving on. It's most likely better than the planned hunting scene where she kills a boar that sounds like Joel.

It also didn't help that Tommy was the one that set her up for it.
I believe it, and the lamb scene really sells it. I only dislike it as an obvious setup to a message about revenge which doesn't make Ellie more interesting in her realizing it since it's been signposted from the start.

Joel is more interesting as a self-serving grief suppression machine who's convinced himself his mass murder and potential dooming of humanity was righteous if only because it allows him to cope.

I found it odd that Tommy was so gung-ho to avenge Joel considering how hesitant he was around him in the first game as this destructive influence suddenly walking back into his life.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 15, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Another thing I liked was the brief shot of Joel on the porch flashing before Ellie that leads her to spare Abby. That's where I could feel her grief transcending the moment, where she comprehends that Abby has nothing to do with the loss she's feeling. It's very nice.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

a lot of events surrounding 2lou's final act feel very contrived but the tommy's behavior is one of the less egregious examples. the guy had three years to reconnect with joel and convince himself that he'd turned over a new leaf, and everything after that was just sunk cost. even if you don't think the headshot wound scrambled his brains (and if you want to talk odd, how in the gently caress did he make it back to colorado with a freshly-dug trench in his face?), he'd have spent the next year or so without anything to occupy his thoughts but finishing the job he'd started
That makes sense. I don't mind if they changed him a bit since he's not a major character, but would've liked something small in line with your idea to make sense of it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I was speaking of motivation in the sense that Ellie literally is travelling to Seattle for revenge. I forget the details, but I thought Joel initially set out to deliver Ellie to the Fireflies for some kind of reward, then gradually became close with her because she filled the hole his daughter had left, then did what he did because he couldn't cope with losing her. There's a progression of change in him throughout the story that makes it more compelling to me than Ellie in 2, who's left spinning her wheels from start to end without any development (until the end).

Admittedly I've forgotten about Tess so maybe I have his early motivations wrong and it's more guilt driven than pragmatic.

I thought the ending of 1 was shocking because it's the first time on-screen that Joel explicitly does something reprehensible. He's murdered/tortured a heap of people already but they were mostly cannibals.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 16, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

acksplode posted:

It didn't shock me since off-screen in Joel's past he murdered innocent people for their stuff. That comes up in Pittsburgh when others attempt the same on him and Ellie. He's just a violent son of a bitch. Joel's actions at the hospital seeming natural and even sympathetic was reinforced for me by that section being a culmination of the gameplay mechanics that I'd been learning all game. Killing the surgeon was just another gratifying melee animation.

I think grief is the right word for his motivation at points, not really guilt. Joel doesn't feel responsible for Tess's death, he feels obligated to carry out the last wish of his dead lover. And he's reluctant as hell, his grief over his daughter has walled him off from Ellie. From Jackson until Salt lake, he's finally processing that grief. He opens up and allows himself to care for Ellie's safety for its own sake, making him feel obligated to complete the journey rather than dump her on Tommy. His motivation here is healthy, he cares for the safety of a child. By the time they get to the university they're comfortable and open with each other, he's talking about Sarah. After the events of winter they've truly bonded. Joel promises to teach her how to play a guitar. And then a tense underground river segment puts Ellie at risk and the grief and trauma come roaring back, and you wake up from that nightmare into something even darker. The grief summons fear and then rage and you do what you would naturally do, what you're good at.
That's a good read of it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Arist posted:

This doesn't matter. It just doesn't. The details of "how would the Fireflies make and distribute the cure" legitimately aren't important to the story, not just because they never get that far but also because it's beyond the scope of the story being told. Again, it's a fairly straightforward moral dilemma, and it's infuriating that people go so far to try to invalidate it because they don't know how to interpret media in a reasonable way.
Yeah. If there are shades of grey in the morality of Joel's choice, he's less interesting. He is entirely driven in the moment by fear of losing a loved one again and it leads him to do a terrible thing. I think the rear end in a top hat-ish behaviour of the Fireflies is a rather contrived way to get you to viscerally side with Joel during the massacre. But then you realize he's potentially doomed everyone, and he himself knows he's hosed up because he's not defending himself but lying about everything to get what he wants. If there's a case that Joel arguably did the right thing, then his lie which is the punchline of the entire story is just a convenient one to placate Ellie and avoid a messy fight, rather than a brutal commitment to his own happiness at the expense of everyone else.

Plus, I think Abby's flashbacks reinforce that the Fireflies did have a decent shot at a vaccine and at least the doctors were reasonable people.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The entire narrative momentum behind 2LOU's story is that there are shades of grey in all of the choices that everyone makes.
I'd like to know about the shades of grey behind the pedo cannibal's choices, or the Rattlers or the seraphites. I don't think what you're saying relates to Joel. There are shades of grey with respect to whether or not he deserves forgiveness, but not the morality of what he did.

I say all this while still liking Joel and feeling a lot of sympathy for him. He's a tragic character.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 19, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I guess I agree with that veni. You can sympathize with Joel's decision while finding it morally wrong in the abstract, which is where I've always been at. I've always seen the Fireflies' treatment of him as contrived, making them unpleasant in that moment in a way that's not meant to be representative of them but to spur Joel into action in a believable way. But taking them at face value here makes sense to me now if it can be done without diminishing the gravity of Joel's decision, which from his perspective (he understands he's potentially destroying a vaccine) I suppose it isn't diminished.

There's definitely no getting around the fact that they don't wait for Ellie's consent to sacrifice herself. It would've been easy for the writers to add a catch that exonerated the Fireflies here like they must operate within the hour or the virus will mutate a delta variant within Ellie or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I wonder how long it would take for Jackson to clear the zombies in their area since it's not like their population can ever go on an upward trend once they run out of cities and towns to shore up their numbers.