Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bust Rodd posted:

ArfJason is a terminal gimmick poster whose gimmick is not ever, even one time, being funny. Just stick them on ignore, their posts are 100% white noise trollbait.

I don't know, "Donald Pentium" always makes me laugh. I do disagree with him about this game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it’s part guilt at what happened in Jackson (she’s not against killing Joel in the abstract but the violent nature of it seems to have bothered her) and she’s putting that on Abby, and also she knows that she’s the second choice and that Owen would pick Abby if it came down to it (and he would have if not for Ellie)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Don't forget Owen is the main reason that Tommy and Ellie aren't also killed at the start. This obviously ends up not working in his favor in the long run, but he's consistently the only one who has a problem with what's happening.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kin posted:

This was my take on it too. If the Abby crew had maybe been more compelling or likeable then yeah i'd have had conflicting feelings about dealing with them. Instead we're supposed to just kinda get over how they mashed Joel's head in for keeping Ellie alive from a murder surgeon.

Folk also rag on Joel for what he did at the end killing the leader of the fireflies and the surgeon, but seem to want to apply real current world societal norms to that situation.

The game's set in a post apocalyptic world where there's no more rule of law. A person that's out to get you can and will get you with little to no repercussions save the potential of revenge. So killing them after all the lies seems like a totally pragmatic thing for Joel to have done in that situation to try and draw a line under it all before disappearing.

That's also why i think Ellie should have killed Abby. Given Abby's track record, her "redemption" probably won't mean poo poo long term and she'll be back on the hunt for Ellie the moment something pisses her off enough (like if anything happened to Lev).

I honestly don't think so. Months have passed since their encounter and there's no sign from Abby that she's stewing on things the way she was with Joel. She's already done the revenge thing, it didn't make her feel better, it strained her most important relationships, and before she had a chance to mend them the consequences took everything else from her. Even when Ellie shows up right in front of her she does everything she can to avoid a fight until Lev is explicitly threatened. Even then it doesn't read IMO as Abby swelling with bloodlust.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ellie isn't thinking through any of that. She just doesn't know how to deal with her grief and with that one push from Tommy she's convinced that killing Abby is the only way to bring her peace. She's not thinking about Lev, about Jackson, about any cycle of vengeance. She's not thinking about the future at all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

snoremac posted:

How long have I got to go? Ellie has just left Dina at the farm and I've got control of Abby again.

You’re in the endgame. Only a few hours left I’d say depending on your skill level. If you’re really good might be like an hour

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah you can definitely finish it in a night

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That flash happens right after her fingers get bitten off, the guitar being her last remaining emotional connection to joel. It's a real nice touch and someone deserves a gold star for thinking it up. As a player it's pretty much the one thing you've been waiting 25 hours for and been kept in the dark on, that insight into whether or not they patched things up, and it just hangs over the entire story in this dreadful sort of way where you almost come to think the devs missed something...but they didn't, they've simply been loving with you for that long.

What I like is that it casts her whole crusade in a new light. It's not just that she wants revenge for Joel's death, and it's not just that the potential to mend their relationship one day is gone; it's the fact that they just started mending that relationship the night before and suddenly the rug is pulled out right from under that reconciliation in the worst way. So somehow, for me, it hits way worse than if they'd patched things up months earlier or if they hadn't even started.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’ve been critical in the past of having the Ellie and Abby sections broken up the way they are but in this case I think it works to the game’s advantage because it puts so much space between that flashback and the last one you had with Ellie that you naturally assume that the flashback at the hospital was the end of that story

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Oxxidation posted:

yeah, grief over guilt is a decent summary. by far one of joel's less savory qualities is that he's incapable of feeling remorse, or at least openly expressing it. everything gets covered in an armor plate of "i did what i had to do" and he sets his jaw and soldiers on

Yeah lol even in his last conversation with Ellie he says he'd do it all again if he had to. He's a straightforward one, that Joel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IMO I think it's fairly believable that all the characters believe Joel destroyed the last chance for a cure even if that isn't actually true.

-The Fireflies were on the verge of falling apart already and Ellie was the last, desperate hope. Even if there's another doctor out there who could make a vaccine, things were already fragile enough that this was just the last straw.

-Naturally, Abby and her friends would think the same way, plus because of who the surgeon was in Abby's case.

-Joel believes it imo primarily because he needs it to be the truth. It happened, he made his choice, closing the book on it forever. It needs to be done with.

-And Ellie believes it because no one tells her otherwise. Joel acts like it was the last chance and even when he realizes that he's lying the firefly logs paint it that way too.