Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

a primate posted:

Otherwise I might try the Last Guardian since I never got around to that.

You gotta put that at the top of your list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

just to be sure, because I'm not clicking it and I'm confused by that description, these are morons right?

They all appear to be streamers so yeah

acksplode
May 17, 2004

johncandy posted:

Holy gently caress 60 cutscenes? I ended up skipping about 20 of them.

johncandy posted:

I could have really done with less pregnant people being killed though. Jesus.

Shoulda made it 21 lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

TLOU2 dataminers found that all the dogs are racist

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Druckmann was in the closet making concepts and I saw one of the concepts and the concept looked at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It didn't shock me since off-screen in Joel's past he murdered innocent people for their stuff. That comes up in Pittsburgh when others attempt the same on him and Ellie. He's just a violent son of a bitch. Joel's actions at the hospital seeming natural and even sympathetic was reinforced for me by that section being a culmination of the gameplay mechanics that I'd been learning all game. Killing the surgeon was just another gratifying melee animation.

I think grief is the right word for his motivation at points, not really guilt. Joel doesn't feel responsible for Tess's death, he feels obligated to carry out the last wish of his dead lover. And he's reluctant as hell, his grief over his daughter has walled him off from Ellie. From Jackson until Salt lake, he's finally processing that grief. He opens up and allows himself to care for Ellie's safety for its own sake, making him feel obligated to complete the journey rather than dump her on Tommy. His motivation here is healthy, he cares for the safety of a child. By the time they get to the university they're comfortable and open with each other, he's talking about Sarah. After the events of winter they've truly bonded. Joel promises to teach her how to play a guitar. And then a tense underground river segment puts Ellie at risk and the grief and trauma come roaring back, and you wake up from that nightmare into something even darker. The grief summons fear and then rage and you do what you would naturally do, what you're good at.