Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

bloodysabbath posted:

My impression of this game has always been negative and that three changes would have gone a long way toward fixing it. Obviously I’m in the minority given the sales and acclaim, but gently caress it.

1) Omit the Abby playable sections entirely and the pacing improves tenfold.

2) Abby has to die at the end of the base game, period. Ellie choosing to spare her at the last moment is the kind of thing I’m sure Druckmann felt so goddamned clever for, but there’s no reason for it and is a complete betrayal of the character and her experiences. It’s the game’s equivalent of Batman and Superman deciding to call a truce because their mommies are both named Martha.

3) After 1+2 are met, you can release Abby’s campaign as standalone DLC similar to Uncharted. The pacing issues still get solved, and Druckmann can still jerk himself off all day long with the “omg I’m being so subversive and cHaLlEnGiNg YoUr ExPeCtAtIoNs” bullshit, even allowing for the possibility of an alternate ending where Abby gets the better of Ellie and drowns her.

Impressive how you have written things that are all nearly perfectly, exactly wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

snoremac posted:

...A point of the game is revenge is destructive to those around you and isn't a cure for grief, which I'd be fine with if Ellie's grief was handled in a similar way to Joel's. For Joel it hovers in the background and isn't a motivation for his journey.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought Joel's guilt over Marlene's death is literally the reason he continues the journey. He doesn't get to really start getting to know Ellie until after. He was seeing through what Marlene swore to do and died for, then morphed because of his relationship with Ellie. I never once even suspected that of Joel's primary motivations were anything other than guilt in one way or another after the story starts properly.

I believe it's guilt all the way down on top of a foundation of other guilt. Going back decades, and for Joel the game even ends on guilt yet again.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

acksplode posted:

I think grief is the right word for his motivation at points, not really guilt. Joel doesn't feel responsible for Tess's death, he feels obligated to carry out the last wish of his dead lover.

poo poo, yes. I think this is entirely accurate. This is what I was looking to say.

ImpAtom posted:

Tess. Marlene is the woman he murders at the end of the game. But yes, it's all motivated by guilt and grief, which leads him to do terrible things, which leads to more guilt and grief when consequences happen, all the way until he gets his pumpkin carved by a golf club.

Right! My bad!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 16, 2021