Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take the moon

by sebmojo
'the altar,' the stranger mutters obliquely. 'the easy way out'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Tak takes another drink before trying to transform between elf form and back a few times, eventually settling on it for a little while. With the comprehend languages affect going his full name is translated to 'Old Red Eyes' with Tak meaning 'Red'. The 'old' bit is kind of a strange one for none of his species lives that long, old is instead kind of a way of denoting survival against the odds since most assassin bugs die in the first few years of life - born as they are without the protection of a society and left to fend for themselves from hatching in a hostile environment.

>This seems appropriate for both forms have deep blood red eyes, currently more so than usual even due to the smoke from Buddy's brazier. After a long moment the assassin speaks "So, where should we head next? And should we check that altar out... no offense to present company intended but I'm not the most religious of folk so not exactly my element."

DMs Note: After spending some time in the presence of Philipe, the altar would certainly be taken as an offense to him. After all, he is Phillipe'; who is this so-called "god", to be in his presence? Phillipe' would be offended. Perhaps you too would be?

Stoner Sloth

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

DMs Note: After spending some time in the presence of Philipe, the altar would certainly be taken as an offense to him. After all, he is Phillipe'; who is this so-called "god", to be in his presence? Phillipe' would be offended. Perhaps you too would be?

>Tak shifts back to his original insectoid form, starting to investigate the altar to see if he can find any clues to the following:

1. Which evil god is the altar dedicated to?
2. Has it been recently used?
3. Any valuables and/or traps?
4. Best way to desecrate it appropriate to the god in question.

(Also gonna suggest we maybe think about starting up a discord to continue just in case given how things seem to be going wrt Lowtax)

nut

Stoner Sloth posted:

(Also gonna suggest we maybe think about starting up a discord to continue just in case given how things seem to be going wrt Lowtax)

...m-maybe we could take the campaign live if we do this :twisted:

Stoner Sloth

nut posted:

...m-maybe we could take the campaign live if we do this :twisted:

:hai:

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

BrownianMotion posted:

sure that reduces the amount of time it takes

the basics is this:

post where u want the discord link sent (email, twitter, SA pms)

i will send you the discord link and a word or phrase, type that word or phrase into the auth-me channel and i'll LET YOU INTO EL DORADO

From this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=505955880

Just in case, there's talk of the possibility of someone else purchasing the website and assuming operations which would avert the crisis of continuing contact but just in case, the BYOB safety net is there.

Heather Papps

hello friend

gonna roll a d20 for optimism
14!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
18!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Stoner Sloth

wouldn't it be nice if we had the same optimism as in:

but actually i got a 7

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Tak shifts back to his original insectoid form, starting to investigate the altar to see if he can find any clues to the following:

1. Which evil god is the altar dedicated to?
2. Has it been recently used?
3. Any valuables and/or traps?
4. Best way to desecrate it appropriate to the god in question.

It's an altar to Gruumsh, an Orc God- it's been years since it was used.

Roll a 20, twice

Stoner Sloth

It's an altar to Gruumsh, an Orc God- it's been years since it was used.

Roll a 20, twice

19, 10+17

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

There is a brooch of Lolth, made of onyx and amethyst. It is radiating magic, in the evil spectrum. You suspect there's more to it than appears. This evaluation of the object is new, and you suspect it is a power derived from your Dark Blade. When you remove the brooch from the altar, a mechanism releases and catches. The trap failed!

Intuition check: You're pretty certain Phillipe' would be interested in the brooch.

Knocking over and scattering the altar would sufficiently desecrate it. You seem hesitant to do so, however and you're not sure why. Lolth is an evil Goddess; Gruumsh on the other hand has a reputation for benevolence (*in this world).

Stoner Sloth

>Tak takes the brooch over to Phillipe, showing it to him and asking politely "What do you make of this? Strange to see an object dedicated to Lolth on a shrine to Gruumsh." while he tries to decide what to do about the altar.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Tak takes the brooch over to Phillipe, showing it to him and asking politely "What do you make of this? Strange to see an object dedicated to Lolth on a shrine to Gruumsh." while he tries to decide what to do about the altar.

Phillipe' sees the brooch, hears the name Gruumsh, and does something that few people have ever seen before.

He looks serious.

Phillipe' snaps his fingers, and one of his attendants walks over and opens up a small, black velvet bag for you to put the brooch into. She then hands the velvet bag to Phillipe', who puts it into a pocket. Phillipe' pats down his other pockets, a look of concentration on his face as he tries to remember where he put something- and he finds the object of his searching. He pulls out a greenish jade stone, carved into the crude likeness of an orc.

"Gruumsh." Phillipe' whispers, and you can sense a certain compulsion in the stating of the name.

"Gruumsh." he says again, a little louder. You have a feeling Gruumsh heard him...

"Gruumsh!" Phillipe' says, louder still.

"Enough, old friend; I am here! How may I help you?" a jovial, quite large and very unusual looking Orc says, to the right of Phillipe' and walking through the wall.

Everybody roll a 20!

Stoner Sloth

nut

19 :smug:

take the moon

by sebmojo

im still playing!! just also getting trashed some nights~~

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

take the moon posted:

im still playing!! just also getting trashed some nights~~

:same:

Stoner Sloth

(quiet bump - hope you are all doing okay friends)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
**Paging Heather Papps! Heather Papps to the Customer Service desk for a 20 sided roll!**

Heather Papps

hello friend

**Paging Heather Papps! Heather Papps to the Customer Service desk for a 20 sided roll!**

AHG!

i rolled a 3 and i was like you know what you can fake it, just this once but i rolled a 3 again so here i am being honest and promising to never fudge a roll again!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
DMs Note,

D&D has an entry regarding Gruumsh and rather than follow the text's description of him, I've reinvented Gruumsh as a benevolent god of Neutral and Good creatures.

Gruumsh is Chaotic Good, and is worshipped by Orcs. On Earth.

Larry Correia wrote a series called "Monster Hunters, International" that has a tribe of Orcs, who are a shamanistic group of benevolent creatures who worship a god. I chose Gruumsh to be that god, who crossed worlds and spanned pantheons. That's who's here now.

Gruumsh looks around the room at the entourage and meets everyone's eyes for a moment. Each of you sees a seemingly bottomless pool of benevolence and good nature, and it seems no wonder really that he would in fact be a friend of Phillipe's. He and Phillipe stand and look at each other smiling for a quick moment, and they both shake hands and grasp forearms in a friendly greeting that no doubt had been repeated many times before.

Phillipe' reaches into his pocket and pulls out Lloth's brooch and points to the altar of Gruumsh.

Gruumsh grimaces in first pain, then anger- and looks at Phillipe and grunts annoyedly, "what does it mean?"

"I think it means someone is being sneaky, and I do not like when people are being sneaky, and my friends are being spied on in abandoned forts. Do you mind if I handle this? Phillipe' is on the case!"

"Of course, old friend! Just please try not to make the Spider Queen too angry- you remember what happened the last time..."

At that they burst out laughing.

You really don't want to know what it is these two have that's so funny regarding the Queen of the Abyss, and none of you are that adventurous to ask.

"Phillipe' will let you know when he has found something, until then- enjoy the party!" Phillipe' gestures to the table of food and Gruumsh fills a plate full of food and a tankard with wine and sits down and digs in.

If anyone has something they want to do or say, now is the time- otherwise, everyone roll a 20!

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 10, 2020

nut

Despite the growing pile of empty mugs on the table beside an unsteady Buddy, he instantly cools, shivers, and sobers overhearing the mention of a spider and particularly a large one. he nervously laughs and sips his ale after being told to enjoy the party.

>14

take the moon

by sebmojo
The Stranger hears the phrase spider-queen tinged w total dread.

I must see, he says in a hushed voice. I am not seeing now

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stoner Sloth

>Tak nods a greeting to the amiable orcish god and then shifts to dark elf form, if not already in it, assassin bugs often prey on spiders and no sense in drawing undue ire from the arachnid queen - especially when his alternate form is likely to be far more to her liking. He watches Phillipe carefully to see what happens next.

(20, 8 on that dice roll ya wanted)

Heather Papps

hello friend

6!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Phillipe' walks over to Tak and says, in Drow- "tell the Mistress of the Web that we are aware of her actions." Everyone hears in their minds a metallic voice answer back from Tak's Dark Blade, "She knows," it says. Phillipe' then hands Gruumsh the brooch. Gruumsh looks to Phillipe' and says, "I can see some of what she plans," he looks off to the side for a moment and sighs.

"Lolth means to use this place as a portal to overrun the lands with her Drider legions," Gruumsh says, gravely. You must seek out the purple gate stones her followers will most certainly have placed throughout this keep. Destroy the portal stones, and her plans will be thwarted. But beware- the stones will be guarded with spells, traps, guardians, or perhaps all three. Go forth with care. I will send for reinforcements for your cause."

Phillipe' looks to the Party and says, "though we have only just met, I sense in you all a strength- Phillipe' believes in you- you just need to now believe in yourselves. I must leave, I have friends and allies to warn- perhaps I too can have help- no! Scratch that- Phillipe' WILL have help arrive in time, to help you. Table!" he says, to the Table, who was serving refreshments to guests, but stops abruptly spilling some food and beverages in the process so eager it's haste to acquiesce to what was obviously Phillipe's needs at an urgent time. Phillipe after all had used the pronoun "I" and not "Phillipe'"! Things must be dire, indeed!

"Table!" Phillipe' said, "Keep them safe; give them..." Phillipe' thinks to himself for a moment, "give them level 3 access to the vault!"

"Phillipe'!" Dorg said, reminding everyone he was even here- "don't you mean Level 1 access?" Phillipe' smirks at Dorg for a moment and says, "As you say, old friend- Phillipe' is just having a little fun! Level 1 access only, unless things get really bad- then allow for level 2 access."

That seemed to satisfy Dorg.

At that, Phillipe' and his entire entourage leaves in a blinding flash, erasing all memory of the incense, pot smoke, disco balls and various other party elements that made up that last few hours. Gruumsh bids his farewell and he too departs the Party's company.

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Tak nods a greeting to the amiable orcish god and then shifts to dark elf form, if not already in it, assassin bugs often prey on spiders and no sense in drawing undue ire from the arachnid queen - especially when his alternate form is likely to be far more to her liking. He watches Phillipe carefully to see what happens next.

(20, 8 on that dice roll ya wanted)

The brooch is some sort of magically scrying device. Add Evaluate Item: Magical as a skill, and add 2 to that skill for future magic item evaluations. This is an ability of your sword.

Stoner Sloth

>Tak does a rare thing. He attempts a smile. Given services already rendered, he asks for no payment for this job. Instead he gives a probably extremely over confident nod to the god and makes ready to work towards the task at hand. He does however listen to this talk of access to the vault, hoping the party can make use of it to explore Fort Wunny and complete the mission.

>Bidding Phillipe and Gruumsh a farewell in turn, he looks to the others to see if they have any suggestions on how to proceed before he falls back on standard protocol of invisibly checking for traps and the like and then opening up the next room - heading west if not otherwise over ruled by other party member suggestions.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Stoner Sloth posted:

>Tak does a rare thing. He attempts a smile. Given services already rendered, he asks for no payment for this job. Instead he gives a probably extremely over confident nod to the god and makes ready to work towards the task at hand. He does however listen to this talk of access to the vault, hoping the party can make use of it to explore Fort Wunny and complete the mission.

>Bidding Phillipe and Gruumsh a farewell in turn, he looks to the others to see if they have any suggestions on how to proceed before he falls back on standard protocol of invisibly checking for traps and the like and then opening up the next room - heading west if not otherwise over ruled by other party member suggestions.

You feel a strange tingling in your hand. Something appears in your hand!

You open up the rolled up velum in your hand and find this:

(The portal labels didn't line up, ah well! Purple splotches are portals- sorry! There are 7 portals total)

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 13, 2020

Heather Papps

hello friend

west sounds good with me, what say you bat?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Heather Papps posted:

west sounds good with me, what say you bat?

A series of chitters clicks and squeals reveals Bat seems to think you should all destroy the nearest purple portal to your current location. You are currently standing on the spot marked "5", the nearest portal is due East of you.

Stoner Sloth

>Tak looks over the map while Heather Snapps communicates with Bat and comes to the same conclusion "Yeah, let's hit up the closest portal and see if we can get it closed. Then we can move outwards from there to get the rest." he comments before making ready to head out to do exactly that.

Stoner Sloth

(bump)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The closest portal is the one to the East of your location (5 on the map).

Everyone roll a 20!

Stoner Sloth

>As Tak quietly moves portal-wards he remains in elf form but cloaks himself in invisibility.

take the moon

by sebmojo

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Bump!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Winter is Coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

llany comes out of his torpor, and roll a 8

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him