Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wilekat posted:

The game feels like you're meant to overwatch a LOT though -- I'm spending a lot of turns trading overwatch layers with the enemies, because the AI will often do stuff when under it.

Yea I've really come to discover this. A few missions past the first boss and I'm just like, I'll sit here with my +Ammo magazine on a Heavy and 2 Vanguards and just dump all my AP into Overwatch while my Scout zooms around the board picking up loot.

Game feels pretty good, although the mission variety seems a little lacking. And inventory management is... not good... Why is loot in Crates? It feels like they wanted to sell you lootboxes but eventually axed that idea

e; Also, someone needs to make this but skin it as Warhammer 40K: Kill Team basically

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Azran posted:

I remember watching a "random facts about Gears" video a while back because I'd bought Gears 4 but I had no idea about the overall storyline since I only ever got to chapter 3 in the first game. My main takeaway from that video was that Cliffy B. was a huge idiot. Like everything from "oh this picture is based on a picture of me and an ex, also Anya is based on another ex of mine" to "oh yeah rape camps are something I want in this game's backstory"

I mean, you can tell just by looking at it that the setting was designed by a semi-sentient pair of wraparound sunglasses. Gears is dumb as balls. I think I saw the entire franchise driving a lifted F350 around a Trump rally waving a Qanon sign out the window.

That said, I definitely want to play XCOM but with foul-mouthed meat monsters for squadmates. Too bad they decided to make it a one and done story-based campaign instead of having randomized encounters breaking it up for replay value. I kind of wonder if the scripted missions were to avoid the pod mechanic problem that so many people have issues with in XCOM. Can you really just sign up for Game Pass for one US dollar and play this thing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I mean, you can tell just by looking at it that the setting was designed by a semi-sentient pair of wraparound sunglasses. Gears is dumb as balls. I think I saw the entire franchise driving a lifted F350 around a Trump rally waving a Qanon sign out the window.

That said, I definitely want to play XCOM but with foul-mouthed meat monsters for squadmates. Too bad they decided to make it a one and done story-based campaign instead of having randomized encounters breaking it up for replay value. I kind of wonder if the scripted missions were to avoid the pod mechanic problem that so many people have issues with in XCOM. Can you really just sign up for Game Pass for one US dollar and play this thing?

I don't know if it's still a buck for the first month but pc Gamepass is five bucks for three months of it.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Agreed 100%. Having never played any Gears games before, I can tell you that every single one of these characters bought a brand new stretched GSXR at 250% APR with their enlistment money and immediately crashed it before they insured it. Every character is the same hardcore monster energy drinking’ cussin’ badass redneck, and it’s kinda ehhhhh.

Like I guess this is the ultra-gritty MAN FANTASY here, but it is just too much. The setting design is also a weird mix of fallout meets xcom, but I can deal with it- it doesn’t have the charm of either, though, imho.

Gameplay is very solid, but I don’t like the fiddly inventory system and the (mostly) +5% to crit/evasion/accuracy mods that just make inventory kind of a slog.

Got it on game pass, probably won’t replay it until a DLC, but I think this is a great start for a tactics franchise if they can keep refining it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Gears always made up for the generic plot and kind of charmless world with fun character interactions since Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird were a great comedy troupe, but so far all I've met is "sad man" "old man" and "angry black woman" so we'll see I guess.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Alamoduh posted:

Agreed 100%. Having never played any Gears games before, I can tell you that every single one of these characters bought a brand new stretched GSXR at 250% APR with their enlistment money and immediately crashed it before they insured it. Every character is the same hardcore monster energy drinking’ cussin’ badass redneck, and it’s kinda ehhhhh.

Like I guess this is the ultra-gritty MAN FANTASY here, but it is just too much. The setting design is also a weird mix of fallout meets xcom, but I can deal with it- it doesn’t have the charm of either, though, imho.

Gameplay is very solid, but I don’t like the fiddly inventory system and the (mostly) +5% to crit/evasion/accuracy mods that just make inventory kind of a slog.

Got it on game pass, probably won’t replay it until a DLC, but I think this is a great start for a tactics franchise if they can keep refining it.

The Gears look is partially to be blamed on the fact that the first game came out with basically two character models, and those were COG soldiers and Locusts, and just had different heads to distinguish individual characters. That design became the aesthetic the game was a bit stuck with - I don't know if it has so much to do with muscleman fantasy as it was "Unreal Engine in 2006 afraid to change it because it's become something the series is known for."

The between-mission UI is clunky as heck, I wish they'd just give me a scroll down menu of everything for a character when I click on them instead of multiple sub-menu's, but whatever. I've seen worse.

Gameplay is fun, though, I think it's a little more thought intensive than XCom because new enemy pods gun for you automatically. I do wish the Overwatch mechanic was more obvious when shooting someone would trigger it (or that the disable shot just didn't trigger overwatch) because the way it is makes the Shout skill on people with Retro Lancers a necessity instead of a convenience. Otherwise the skills seem pretty fun, regen AP is the OP choice, but the game isn't balanced around it so other options are viable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK I just unlocked Anticipation Level 2 and then lucked into using just before a gang of Tickers spawned and ran towards my Scout.

Game is definitely hella fun.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I assumed that Ironman mode in this was like XCOMs in that if I failed a mission due to my team dying, it'd just revert me to the mission start or something.

lol noooooooooooope

Game's still fun though but oh man that's equal parts awesome and infuriating.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I assumed that Ironman mode in this was like XCOMs in that if I failed a mission due to my team dying, it'd just revert me to the mission start or something.

lol noooooooooooope

Game's still fun though but oh man that's equal parts awesome and infuriating.

It's like the other XCOMs, though.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Find the game increadibly frustrating. Mainly due to the existence of grenadiers, whom just charge out of emergence holes and gut your team.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

they kinda missed the opportunity to use the Kevin Riepl background of GEARS for something equal to this XCOM motivator that was certainly a major point why XCOM rules.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 30, 2020

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Dervyn posted:

Find the game increadibly frustrating. Mainly due to the existence of grenadiers, whom just charge out of emergence holes and gut your team.

Plant grenades on the e-holes then walk away. They will be destroyed without a single unit coming through. Berserkers are also dealt with by shooting them once, then chainsawing or using the bayonet charge on them for an instakill.

Unrelated, when you first start a mission, there's a few little bits in the soundtrack that remind me of the marine's theme from Aliens. Just a few notes.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Firstborn posted:

Plant grenades on the e-holes then walk away. They will be destroyed without a single unit coming through. Berserkers are also dealt with by shooting them once, then chainsawing or using the bayonet charge on them for an instakill.

Unrelated, when you first start a mission, there's a few little bits in the soundtrack that remind me of the marine's theme from Aliens. Just a few notes.

Thanks for the tip on planting grenades. Going to restart the mish with one more grenade (early game healing sucks) and wait for cooldowns to start the final phase.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How does the game decide who is Traveling and when? I think that's probably my biggest complaint in terms of actual gameplay. Why do I need to bother gearing up 2-3 different dudes of each class.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Sab669 posted:

How does the game decide who is Traveling and when? I think that's probably my biggest complaint in terms of actual gameplay. Why do I need to bother gearing up 2-3 different dudes of each class.
Between each main mission you need to complete a couple of side missions, these are where you select from a couple of mission choices. If you send someone to do a side mission, they will be travelling until you've completed the number of side missions necessary to do the next main mission.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Alamoduh posted:

Like I guess this is the ultra-gritty MAN FANTASY here, but it is just too much.

This is entirely the charm, its just souped up over the top muscle violence from the mid 2000's. It's really fun if you turn your brain off, anyone who play's gears expecting anything other than stupid muscle quips and macho manliness is in for a surprise.

I got through the first three missions today and I really like what they've done with the action system. Being rewarded as I am, this early in the game for being balls out aggressive with my chainsaw/bayonet is really cool.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i tried it for about four hours coming straight off of chimera squad - the execution of the game is definitely AAA but i had a lot of trouble anticipating where enemies were going to move and overall the gameplay didn't feel right to me - also the look and feel of the game with the classic gears washed out look wore me down. its ok.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

dogstile posted:

I got through the first three missions today and I really like what they've done with the action system. Being rewarded as I am, this early in the game for being balls out aggressive with my chainsaw/bayonet is really cool.

I feel like there are some frustrating design choices that hamper my enjoyment and make each mission less fun. After a certain point, chainsaw/ bayonet/execute become mostly useless, because almost every enemy is going to drop a poison cloud on death that debuffs your unit’s damage by 75% for 2 turns. Maybe I’m missing some way to stop the cloud from dropping, but I’m almost done with the game and I don’t know it.

IMHO there’s a lot of activated abilities that take an action point that shouldn’t, like the +50% crit shot with a long cooldown.

It’s also strange that often the best strategy is just to trade overwatch until the enemy dies. As stated before it sucks to let big enemies like the grenadiers and explosive shot hunters drop in from wherever, move, and attack on the same turn. Without reloading to know where they’re going to come from, you can’t effectively defend. Tactics!

I don’t understand the XP system either. It just feels like a trickle at higher levels, like doing a mission and seeing like 5-10% of the bar creep up just sucks. Granted, you’re extremely powerful by level 5, but eh. In this vein, I wonder if the optimal start is just to camp a map and wait for respawns to get XP (does killing enemies give XP? IDK).

Lastly, the squad recruitment sucks because there is no reason to keep that level 5 heavy that you’ve taken on 25 missions with amazing kill stats if you are able to recruit a level 6 heavy, because it could take 3 or more missions to level up that level 5 guy. I just deleted all the backup squad every time I could get a higher level recruit, so there’s no much sense of continuity except for the main 3 characters.

There is a lot to like here, especially the visuals and sound, but some of the core design decisions just lead to me feeling detached from the experience.

I’m also surprised this game isn’t getting more discussion. Is it the price, and nobody’s buying it? I played it on Xbox game pass, which has turned out to be the biggest surprise value, barring some weird Microsoft issues (I couldn’t get farming simulator to load, and saints row IV would not save my game).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I get why from a mechanic standpoint but it's weird to have a huge pile of Wretches and NOT be able to chainsaw them endlessly. That's the whole reason they exist in Gears!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do you think anyone at the studio actually bothered to complete this game on ironman, let alone ironman impossible?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you think anyone at the studio actually bothered to complete this game on ironman, let alone ironman impossible?

I had a bug during a mission where I couldn’t select a different squad mate, so I’m guessing that would make things difficult if I couldn’t just restart the mission.

No one should choose Ironman impossible as a release day first run in any kind of xcom-like game before the bugs that are going to kill your run are patched!

I think I’m just playing on normal difficulty and I’m still finding it difficult because the huge number of enemies the game throws at you seems to expect you to be able to execute enemies for extra actions, but the only guys you can actually reliably do it to (standard locust soldiers) mostly get replaced by guys you can’t (disciples).

Even stuff like the heavy’s explosive shot which seems awesome in theory has been mostly useless because if I’m trying to kill the moving bomb guys, I can’t afford an 80% hit chance vs using a grenade, and same vs wretches, I just use a grenade. I spent 3 skill points (a level and a half out of five) to max out explosive shot and used it like once in three missions. The only class that I don’t use just standard shoot instead of an ability attack most of the time is sniper.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What's your "Ideal" loadout look like? I'm also on Normal, never played XCOM or any tactics game like this before and for the most part I almost feel it's too easy. The first boss gave me a tough time, but since then it's felt easier. There was 1 Side Mission I decided I didn't like and skipped in favor of a different one. I'm up to Act 3 Chapter 2 and haven't felt the need to restart or anything, except for one mission where I wanted the Optional Objective for a Legendary chest.

For me, I really like to bring:

* Sid - specced into Assault which I don't really like, and then Paladin which feels pretty good so far. I rarely use Rage Shot because he heals every turn, has a ton of Damage Reduction, and my Support can keep him mostly topped off.
* Gabe - Combat Medic is really useful, starting to branch into Strategist Paragon because Empower is stupid strong
* Scout - heavy into Recon and now I'm going Commando, which is really powerful. Proximity Mine is essentially a second Frag Grenade, because you can just throw it onto an enemy for instant detonation (as opposed to waiting for someone to "move into its radius"). Recon is absurdly powerful because you can just get ANYWHERE on the map in no time.

For my 4th I use Mikayla when I have to, she's specced into Hunter and it's either Great or Subpar. Between Gabe's Empower, Chain Shoft, and Fast Fingers you can get a comical amount of work done in a turn, provided you're positioned well.

If I don't have to use Mikayla, I've experimented briefly with 2 Heavies: One into Defender, one into Demolitionist. Overall I prefer Defender, because you can rotate between Suppressing Fire and the Pistol's Disruptive Shot to cancel your enemies' Overwatch. You don't even need to hit, simply targetting someone will Interrupt in a 5m bubble which is not huge but not tiny either.

What are you guys running for your Vanguards, actually? I just looked over the whole tree and none of it actually grabs me. I think I'm going to respec into Shock Trooper / Warden.

Alamoduh posted:

There is a lot to like here, especially the visuals and sound, but some of the core design decisions just lead to me feeling detached from the experience.

And yea this is pretty much my take. The first 2 chapters were really fun, but by the 3rd I'm just like "I don't want to constantly Recruit and respec dudes". As you said what's the point of leveling up if I'm just gonna get someone new in 2 missions.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 1, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Firstborn posted:

Oh that's what planting grenades is for.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

For Vanguards I really like the intimidating yell. Really significant AoE and a powerful effect, really helpful if you're a fan of going nuts with the bayonet like I am and end up with your vanguard having like 4 different overwatch cones on them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Goddamn the equipment menu in this game is kinda tiring.

E: Also i really wish that devs would stop making "rare" gear the most common drop.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Sab669 posted:

What's your "Ideal" loadout look like?
We may have different play styles, but here is my take on the skills:

Support: paragon is the most powerful tree in the game, period. I equip them with drag grenades and never use healing because why? If they go down, they revive with half health, and frag grenades are too useful too often.

Support has too many skills for chainsaw because gears of wars I guess, but you can so rarely use it that it’s a waste of points. Best armor passive for support is potential (50% chance to reduce random cooldown every turn).

Vanguard: grab intimidate, go warden. 75% reduction against the first attack, + leech + survival instinct for extra evasion+ regeneration+ self repair armor makes them very durable and good at disruption.

Sniper: hunter 100%- ultimate shot refilling all actions + reloading shot + chain shot + support feeding action points is incredible carnage. Stalker gives knockdown on shots, which is also very good, and concussion shot is great. The other two trees are ok, but I haven’t really used them because hunter tree is so good. With some legendary mods, sniper has +55% to hit. 310 damage, 47% crit +190% crit damage and 4 ammo.

Heavy: I like defender because heavy seems best to just overwatch while the sniper kills everything. Artillery tree also good with heat up reload. Specialist tree sounds weak, but I have heard people say redeploy is good- but I don’t see the point in a skill that makes you unable to shoot. I don’t think explosive shot in demolition is useful enough for the points, while I overwatch every turn. Heavy really should use the disrupt weapon mod that interrupts enemies.

Scout: I only use scout on solo missions with the grenades armors and commando tree. Scout would probably be the best class with all trees maxed, but I think the shotgun kind of sucks and you kind of need both commando and recon tree maxed to be able to get into a position to use it well.

My usual team is support, vanguard, sniper, heavy- but I think the strongest would be 2 support and 2 snipers. One of the snipers gets good position and then suddenly takes like 12 shots in a row.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Different play styles is right! Not a big fan of Sniper at all.

If the Ticks and Grenadiers are giving you problems I think you should give a Recon Scout a chance next time you Recruit one with a fully unspent Talent Tree. It's certainly not as Murderous as many other classes and builds, but the raw utility is nuts.

You get to Sprint an entire screen length for 1 AP, pop Anticipation for a bunch of AP next turn, become Hidden for free, and still run really far with +Movement Speed boots. You can either be picking up loot, or simply scouting enemy positions very safely, and next turn you're probably right behind your enemy to deliver a great Disrupting Shot, toss a Frag grenade where needed, Shoot one or two guys and then do something else with your remaining AP.

Also you can pick up enemies weapons for free, which are super powerful.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Signed up for GamePass, paid my dollar, and started playing - after a mandatory 3 hour long Windows 10 update. Also had to change my default app install drive in the OS system settings so I could install it on my game SSD. Fuckin' Microsoft. Anyway, game is very dumb but pretty fun, so far. I like that its tuned to aggressive play and some of the improvements they've made to the XCOM-style puzzle combat feel really good. Hopefully Firaxis takes some good notes.

Internet Kraken posted:

Lol gently caress no. This is actually the big gripe I have about this game and I'm super glad I could try it out for next to nothing. XCOM/XCOM 2 were fantastic because of the replayability and the way that Ironman forced you to approach the game. If one of your soldiers gets killed, you take the loss and keep pushing forward. If you lose a mission, you take the loss and adapt. The game doesn't end, you just have to play it as it lies. Gears Tactics deletes your save if any of the main characters die or if you lose a mission. What an insanely bad mechanic. Ironman isn't supposed to be a punishment, per se, its supposed to take away the save scum safety net and make you think about the game a bit differently. I feel like Gears (and XCOM Chimera Squad, which does the same thing) had to sacrifice a lot of what made the XCOM Ironman style so compelling in order to focus on a cliche-riddled, Z-grade story. Its kind of too bad - I could see myself putting a ton of time into this game if it had any sort of dynamic replayability but as it is, its definitely going to be a one and done.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ironman (or hardcore rather) is pretty bad in CS but it at least has more built in safety nets than this game. Notably in CS, your unitst go into bleedout rather than dying outright. So if you make a mistake you have room to correct it to some degree. This game offers no safety nets whatsoever from what I've seen. If someone dies, that's it, game over. No grace period whatsoever. And its really easy for units to go from full health to zero.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This game is not an XCOM replacement. It is however a fantastic conversion of Gears of War to turn based tactics. The game loves throwing enemies at you that you kill in one shot, which the shooter games do too. It's fun in the same way Gears of War is fun, because it's over the top Army of Two style bullshit. Toss a frag at something, it lands with precision and multiple things gets gibbed. There's basically no management like you'd expect if you came to think "turn based tactics" means Battletech, XCOM, Phoenix Point, or whatever, but instead pulls back to a linear mission progression like Vandal Hearts or something. In my opinion it's very fun because it is just as silly as the main series, not in spite of it. Just don't expect it to be XCOM and you're set.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Internet Kraken posted:

Ironman (or hardcore rather) is pretty bad in CS but it at least has more built in safety nets than this game. Notably in CS, your unitst go into bleedout rather than dying outright. So if you make a mistake you have room to correct it to some degree. This game offers no safety nets whatsoever from what I've seen. If someone dies, that's it, game over. No grace period whatsoever. And its really easy for units to go from full health to zero.

I'm playing GT on Expert (I think? The 2nd from the highest difficulty) and you do get bleedouts as I discovered when I hosed up my first meeting with Grenadiers. I guess you don't get those on Insane or Impossible or whatever they named their highest difficulty so, yeah, one wrong move and its game over. It seems like they expect you to memorize spawns if you intend to play on Impossible Ironman because I don't know how else you would do it. One shot kills and characters that aren't allowed to die is a bad combo for an Ironman campaign.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Proximity Mine is essentially a second Frag Grenade, because you can just throw it onto an enemy for instant detonation (as opposed to waiting for someone to "move into its radius").

I was wrong; I must've fat fingered the wrong key last night when I thought this was the case. Dropping a mine directly on someone does not cause it to blow up (however if someone moves on their turn inside the prox mine radius, it will still trigger)

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Sounds like you're playing on Insane. Insane seems completely broken, as far as I can tell. It may be possible to complete by cheesing your way through every level, but the (what seems like) literal doubling of damage and complete removal of bleedout timers makes it mostly unfun garbage. Insane is not a good representation of the game at all.

Ironman isn't supposed to be a punishment, per se, its supposed to take away the save scum safety net and make you think about the game a bit differently. I feel like Gears (and XCOM Chimera Squad, which does the same thing) had to sacrifice a lot of what made the XCOM Ironman style so compelling in order to focus on a cliche-riddled, Z-grade story. Its kind of too bad - I could see myself putting a ton of time into this game if it had any sort of dynamic replayability but as it is, its definitely going to be a one and done.

Yeah, this is a problem that could have been solved by an additional gradient in the start options. People have different opinions on what Ironman is, and these guys leaned on the "Hardcore" side of things. I like the XCOM middle-ground a lot -- I failed an Ironman run of this pretty early and just decided to play through without it.

I'm in Act 3 now, and the squad juggling when you're doing the mandatory 3 side missions is *almost* interesting. Did one of the capture point missions a little while ago restricted to two units, with a challenge to kill x enemies under Overwatch for a legendary part, that was actually quite an interesting change from my normal wrecking ball. Defender (Overwatch) Heavies and Hunter Snipers are pretty absurd, and even more ridiculous once you gear them.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Wilekat posted:

I'm in Act 3 now, and the squad juggling when you're doing the mandatory 3 side missions is *almost* interesting. Did one of the capture point missions a little while ago restricted to two units, with a challenge to kill x enemies under Overwatch for a legendary part, that was actually quite an interesting change from my normal wrecking ball. Defender (Overwatch) Heavies and Hunter Snipers are pretty absurd, and even more ridiculous once you gear them.
This mission sucks because you have half the people and the same number of spawns as when you have a squad of 4. There is also a mission where the bombs are dropping and the Mali’s is -1 AP. That one sucks too, unless you bring a mix of rangers and scouts.

I mean maybe it’s interesting to have to use different classes for different types of missions, but if you design it that way, make it happen on more than literally two missions in the whole game.

I finished the game, and the endgame looks like three side missions followed by maybe a boss, after which you get a “veteran point” which you can “show off to your friends.” But your guys do gain experience from the missions, and you need at least 12 guys to fill the side missions, so it looks like that is where the whole roster idea really kicks in. Not sure how much i want to keep playing, but maybe I’ll get to level 7 (and then have to fire all my level 6 guys, hire and equip and respec 22 new level 7 guys).

Sounds fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Picked this up and it's real good. Feels like a real evolution of the genre in many ways. It just feels so slick & refined, doubly so after the mess that was Chimera Squad.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 3, 2020

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Gear mods throw any semblance of skill balance out the window.

Scout with Legendary Precision Grip: Skill cooldowns reduced by 2
Quick Cloak passive - Cloak skill cooldown reduced by 1

Cloak: 1 turn cooldown, meaning you can cloak every turn.
Sprint: 1 turn cooldown. You don't need to even take the Sprint cooldown perk to achieve this.
Double shot: 1 turn cooldown.

Epic UIR Holsters (Leg armour): Frag and Stim grenade cooldowns reduced by 3 turns
Frag grenade mastery: Frag grenade throw and plant cooldowns reduced by 2 turns [I need a level to confirm this stacks -- 99.9% sure it will]

Frag throw - 1 turn cooldown.

This means that at level 7, a Scout can:

- uncloak
- start a round with 7 actions, if set up with Anticipation (3 turn CD) into Exertion (2 turn CD). At level 8 they can start with 8, thanks to Exertion level 2
- sprint a whole screen length
- throw a grenade
- double shot
- interact with an object, door or power weapon and regain the AP
- cloak again, providing they save ONE action point. The act of cloaking recovers 15% of their hp

Scout's pretty good.

Oh you can get that cooldown mod on at least Supports too. Empower a friendly for 2 extra AP and 20% damage every turn, and apply a heal/revive to any friendly on the map in addition to a 30% damage reduction buff every turn too while you're at it.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 3, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Signed up for GamePass, paid my dollar, and started playing - after a mandatory 3 hour long Windows 10 update.

Are you from past/future? Last Windows update that even could be that long was a year ago.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Wilekat posted:

Gear mods throw any semblance of skill balance out the window.

Scout with Legendary Precision Grip: Skill cooldowns reduced by 2
Quick Cloak passive - Cloak skill cooldown reduced by 1

Cloak: 1 turn cooldown, meaning you can cloak every turn.
Sprint: 1 turn cooldown. You don't need to even take the Sprint cooldown perk to achieve this.
Double shot: 1 turn cooldown.

Epic UIR Holsters (Leg armour): Frag and Stim grenade cooldowns reduced by 3 turns
Frag grenade mastery: Frag grenade throw and plant cooldowns reduced by 2 turns [I need a level to confirm this stacks -- 99.9% sure it will]

Frag throw - 1 turn cooldown.

This means that at level 7, a Scout can:

- uncloak
- start a round with 7 actions, if set up with Anticipation (3 turn CD) into Exertion (2 turn CD). At level 8 they can start with 8, thanks to Exertion level 2
- sprint a whole screen length
- throw a grenade
- double shot
- interact with an object, door or power weapon and regain the AP
- cloak again, providing they save ONE action point. The act of cloaking recovers 15% of their hp

Scout's pretty good.

Oh you can get that cooldown mod on at least Supports too. Empower a friendly for 2 extra AP and 20% damage every turn, and apply a heal/revive to any friendly on the map in addition to a 30% damage reduction buff every turn too while you're at it.

This is all true, but Level 7 is after only you’ve beaten the game, and level 8 is probably like 10 hours after that. I’m doing some end game missions now and basically you have to do 3 using different teams, where the rewards are only epic, and then do one mission that gives a random legendary, then repeat.

So if you like doing basically the same missions on the same maps to become more unnecessarily powerful (because the postgame missions don’t seem noticeably harder), then you will love it!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Alamoduh posted:

This is all true, but Level 7 is after only you’ve beaten the game, and level 8 is probably like 10 hours after that. I’m doing some end game missions now and basically you have to do 3 using different teams, where the rewards are only epic, and then do one mission that gives a random legendary, then repeat.

So if you like doing basically the same missions on the same maps to become more unnecessarily powerful (because the postgame missions don’t seem noticeably harder), then you will love it!

I was doing most of this at level 5 or 6, but I've beaten the game now and yeah I'm done with it. It's fun enough but there's not enough there for repeat viewings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Holy poo poo I can't believe this game is good. I've burned through the first couple of story missions, and the game gives you a lot of options to deal with stuff. I like having a single set of skill points (still chafed that an action point is one move, so you can't shoot and scoot (40K mechanicus let you move and shoot in any combination, is great), but you can stay in place and lay down a ton of fire, sprint across the map, shoot dudes and overwatch, throw grenades and shoot. It really helps translate the higher-paced style of an action game to a turn based tactics game. I don't know how it will hold up like XCOM (for hundreds of hours), but it certainly is enough to grab my attention. They've really translated the mechanics of the gears series really well into the gameplay, and since they can just use the same animations and everything really seals the deal. I laughed out loud the first time someone just magnetically slid into cover.

I can only assume the story is gonna be laughably awful, like gears has always been, but hopefully it has a since of humor about itself, which gears frequently didn't have in the right places.

Also, unless I'm misremembering, the people of the gears universe had legends about the locust before they showed up and started killing everyone, and that they came from the moon. Underground molemen... from the moon. But I don't really remember much about the lore besides the locust are underground, there's super oil underground, super oil can infect living things, things infected with super oil explode violently when shot. Oh and maybe we're the baddies? Also WHERES MY WIFE?!?!?!?!