Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hello cspam!! its time for some housekeeping

just a couple of heads-up things. if you dgaf about any of that, skip to the last part where i ask you to yell at us

new mods

first, welcome to our newest mods, BrutalistMcDonalds and twoday!! they are both familiar faces from around cspam, and have been modding for about a week. they are good folks and we look forward to having them around.

some people might wonder why we asked these two fellas to join up and serve the community as mods–after all, we have a great bunch of iks around who keep things running. but in cpsam, iks are not mods!! they are not junior mods, they do not work for the mods, and they should be able to enjoy serving as an ik w/o feeling like they are auditioning for modship, or cleaning up after the mods

lightning knight and i wanted to get have more mods so that cspam moderation was more of a shared effort, instead of something relying on just two people. the fewer people who have mod abilities, the more that mod becomes a position of authority. we are committed to moderation being a community service here, and that meant expanding the gang

both of our new mods are familiar, established members of the cspam community, and both have shown the sorta care for others and discretion that typifies the best mods. beyond that, we asked BrutalistMcDonalds because he is active in many threads that lightning knight and i are not. cspam is a large enough community that smaller community subcultures have grown up w/in it, and bru-mac is more familiar w the people and norms of some of those thread-specific subcultures. we are super happy that in addition to his general mod skills, he can offer those threads a more nuänced, familiar hand in their moderation

the globe-trotting twoday offers cspam something we have sadly lacked and desperately needed: a less american/anglosphere-centric perspective. cspam doesnt just involve the english-speaking parts of politics, news, current events, etc; our community deserves mods who have a larger perspective, as well. just by speaking from his worldly experience, twoday can offer us perspective that makes the moderation here better

remember to get yr rap sheet signed by these guys, if you collect autographs!!

ik rotation

remember when i said that iks arent mods?? welp i should prob talk about the iks in their own section then.

our iks are fuckin rad and i love them all. we also have the best possible community of posters to all get their own turns as ik. in the fullness of time, everyone should have their go at being cspam ik a couple of times. and its time to get that ball rolling again!!

starting in may, im gonna start rotating the iks. im looking to get one or two ik seats rotated a month, so that there is a steady flow of new ones but every ik gets several months minimum in the role. chokes mcgee will remain ik for the foreseeäble future, because while iks are not mods in general, in this particular case chokes is more like the local mod for the mental health thread in addition to being a general cspam ik. im also gonna try to make sure the Post ITT trumplols thread gets their own ik that will rotate on its own schedule, so that they can control their own thread title changes at the least

feedback and questions

how is everyone doing?? what do you folks think of the moderation of cspam??? can we help, answer some questions, etc?? this goes out to lurkers as well as regular posters, because cspam belongs to everyone in the community whether they post or not.

let use know what you folks, all of you, need from us. and if there are things you want us to keep doing, or bring back, or do more often–mention those too!! like, we dont need praise or w/e but we do need to know what to steer toward as well as what to steer away from

tmuip

tokpm

trb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

:firstpost:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:secondpost:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Hello everyone! As Squizzle mentioned above, I am a mod now. I am still figuring out how everything works, and trying my best to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any issues you want to discuss with me.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
i will never recognize the oppressive &unconstitutional authority of the mods

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
CSPAM approves OP

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Would it make sense to have a tendencies fighting thunder dome? Because otherwise it tends to leak in otherwise good threads.

Also all mods are batards.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

seattle plague rat posted:

i will never recognize the oppressive &unconstitutional authority of the mods

that’s ok, I recognize you and you are valid

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

those are good choices

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

trump

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
dope now that ive received validation from authority im going full fash

mods are the thin blue line that stops the forums descending into anarchy and id shield their bloated bodies w/my own bloated body

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

seattle plague rat posted:

dope now that ive received validation from authority im going full fash

mods are the thin blue line that stops the forums descending into anarchy and id shield their bloated bodies w/my own bloated body

I accept your (un)ironic hatred of me and also it’s ok to shitpost itt because it is cspam, but I also humbly request that you consider giving real feedback at some point.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
trnup

twoday
May 4, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I accept your (un)ironic hatred of me and also it’s ok to shitpost itt because it is cspam, but I also humbly request that you consider giving real feedback at some point.

ok, cop

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

*doing a donut on my segway*

mall cop :smug:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah: good work everyone

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i don't really see myself as some kind of "authority figure," but more like a sexy, 007-like agent for his mangosteen's secret service who hops from thread to thread uncovering plots against CSPAM from various nefarious actors such as hillary clinton and the shadowy organization known as S.U.C.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1iRaS3gqws

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the moment a forums moderator considers themselves an authority figure they lose all credibility and become a loving joke

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I think there should be more threads, hundreds of them, thousands

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I just want to say thank you to all cspam posters. this place is somehow both great, and terrible, for my mental health

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
there are lots of cspam posters who don't post in gbs i would like to punish

twoday
May 4, 2005

Jose posted:

I bet

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I have one request, if I may. i would like the mods to protect and serve me while banning my enemies

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If BMD and twoday were real cspam posters where's the forums coup???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

twoday
May 4, 2005

T-man posted:

If BMD and twoday were real cspam posters where's the forums coup???

this is it :getin:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*me, zooming past a mountie, or bobbie*]: gently caress ouff, coup!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Once again the cops are foiled by the state line

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lightning Knight posted:

*doing a donut on my segway*

mall cop :smug:

more like eating a donut on your segway

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

cspam is good. I wish all the banned people came back but I understand why they dont. mods are fine except no one will leak the mod forums, which is bullshit.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
thank you for your service and god bless america

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eric ciaramella posted:

cspam is good. I wish all the banned people came back but I understand why they dont. mods are fine except no one will leak the mod forums, which is bullshit.

the mod forum is just jeffrey loving the code up every day and we find out when we try to do something, like so:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

uhh nope not on purpose.....working on thread IKs and clearly I've messed something up

twoday
May 4, 2005

eric ciaramella posted:

There are only like 5 threads and from what I've seen it's mostly either boring administrative stuff related to uploading pictures or asking admins to fix various other technical problems, or for instance there is a thread where people either complain about being hated for being a mod or make jokes related to being a mod. There's also some mods posting drafts of things like the OP for this thread, and asking other mods for help about how to craft it before making it public, to make sure they do well the first time. I have yet to uncover where the nefarious plots are hatched. There are also the reports, which can't be made public because it would reveal who made the report, and thus undermine the premise of the reporting system.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

the mod forum is just jeffrey loving the code up every day and we find out when we try to do something, like so:

deploying to a staging environment first is for cowards

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the mod forum is boring bullshit but shouldnt be public for more or less the same reason that the audience shouldnt be seeing backstage poo poo during a performance

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spergin Morlock posted:

deploying to a staging environment first is for cowards

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Try now - sorry, really screwing this up today. One day I'll have a test instance, one day.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Hi, yes, I'll be the jerk that requests this first: let us refer to trump/trumpers as "retards" or as being "retarded."

Please, read the definition:

from dictionary.com posted:

retard

[ ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4 ]SHOW IPA

SEE SYNONYMS FOR retard ON THESAURUS.COM

verb (used with object)

to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

verb (used without object)

to be delayed.

noun

a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.

Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.

a contemptuous term used to refer to a person who is cognitively impaired.

a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:a hopeless social retard.

Automotive, Machinery. an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle.

Literally the only part of this definition not fitting these people is the very last bit. Trump retards progress in others, and, self admittedly, in himself. He's boasted about having figured it all out around age five or something dumb, and not needing to progress further. That's... retarded. Literally. He retarded himself because he's a loving moron. He's a retard now, of his own doing. He has retarded American development across basically every field measurable.

His followers loving drank Lysol.

"•a contemptuous term used to refer to a person who is cognitively impaired.

•a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:a hopeless social retard."

There isn't a better accurate definition of these people.

Let's be honest. loving none of us ever mean a person handicapped by nature or other forces. We aren't assholes. We are aware those handicaps are not the fault of the affected, and would absolutely never treat them as anything lesser than.

Trump and co are mother loving retards that have stolen the word for themselves, to the benefit of the handicapped community. Please stop punishing us for being accurate in our speech.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

nickhimself posted:

Hi, yes, I'll be the jerk that requests this first: let us refer to trump/trumpers as "retards" or as being "retarded."

Literally the only part of this definition not fitting these people is the very last bit. Trump retards progress in others, and, self admittedly, in himself. He's boasted about having figured it all out around age five or something dumb, and not needing to progress further. That's... retarded. Literally. He retarded himself because he's a loving moron. He's a retard now, of his own doing. He has retarded American development across basically every field measurable.

•a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:a hopeless social retard."

Let's be honest. loving none of us ever mean a person handicapped by nature or other forces. We aren't assholes. We are aware those handicaps are not the fault of the affected, and would absolutely never treat them as anything lesser than.

Trump and co are mother loving retards that have stolen the word for themselves, to the benefit of the handicapped community. Please stop punishing us for being accurate in our speech.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

nickhimself posted:

So this is the kind of feedback I was expecting with this thread, and I will be honest: I was the one who pushed for doing away with this language originally in D&D. It was pushed for separately by previous mods and IKs in CSPAM. So, I do not agree with this sentiment, and am on the record as such. I will let other mods and current IKs speak for themselves.

The community may discuss this topic itt.